Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
making dentures

I spent the whole night 'making dentures' - well sort of.
Background is that I did Dentistry (before doing Medicine) and I used to hate / not enjoy doing this work - it was one of the requirements. It was actually not too hard on the whole; each step needed to be checked and signed off by the Instructors. And theme of the exercise seemed to be to delay and obstruct us completing the task, so spent hours and hours trying to make things perfect; often mucking because it was made clear who had the power (of pass or fail).

In the dream I have all but completed two sets of dentures - for two different people (? a man and a woman ?). They are waiting outside in a waiting room,. and all I have to do is call them in and trial fit the dentures, do any adjustments that are necessary, call the Instructor over to check , , , and hope that they cannot find anything to delay or redo or further keep me running around in circles.
A beautiful girl comes in and talks to me, I know her, she is delightful. I tell her I have to do this, and she leaves.
Anyway during the dream I don't call either patient in, I am doing things yet doing nothing.

My main thought - that I am doing things to suit other people. This dream calls into question my life at present (indeed as the way I have lived my life) - and yes it feels much like this now.
The dentures - something made to fit yes, yet something false , , , feels like my working life !!
My waking thought was that I can't decide what I want (emphasis on the 'I' ) and that is the root of the issue

Is recognising this enough ?? Really I need to act , ,

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54, Darwin Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Re: making dentures

Justin
I'm sensing there is a search in all of your dreams that is associated with a late mid-life search. What you are doing in life isn't as fulfilling for you at this stage as you wish to have to be. This is common during the midlife transition when the chosen path no longer satisfies. I recently confronted this issue myself, having a business that was thriving but no longer possessing that desire for success in the outer world of economics/politics/social duty {the 'I' you mentioned}. But what do you do?

The solution for me was to 'follow my bliss'. My bliss is my dreamwork and designing/maintaining my website. I took early retirement so to be able to follow my bliss full-time. I took a 'pay' cut by doing so but in the philosophy of Joseph Campbell, when you follow your bliss doors open where you never thought that would be there. In other words if you do what you really love doing in life then the money will be there as well as those other vitals needed to sustain you. I have practiced this philosophy for many years now and have seen it work. I personally believe there is a mechanism in nature for this. You rap what you sow and when you follow the heart/soul you put yourself on a plane of existence that was 'waiting' for you all along.

From the The Power of Myth

BILL MOYERS: Do you ever have the sense of... being helped by hidden hands?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time - namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

I think in this dream your bliss, whatever it might be', is the beautiful girl that comes in to talk to you. She is delightful but you can not 'entertain her' because of your social obligations. Often our bliss is centered in the creative aspects, the muse, which is a feminine principle. It also requires going 'inward' to discover your bliss and that action is also a feminine aspect. By refusing to 'accommodate' this inner self, the bliss, you are left dangling, confused, indecisive, unable to 'call either patient'. The people in your dream are aspects of yourself.

I can see a real connection with indecision in the dream. The waiting room and waiting outside along with "I don't call either patient in" does suggest there is indecision on what to do with your life. The two people would be aspects of yourself, your yin/yang, the opposites which speaks of conflicts also. Dentures suggest something that is false which in this instance is the life you are living. It was a life that maintained you while you were maturing and aging but now when life starts its downward turn it is natural to look for something more meaningful. Another quote from Campbell:

“People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances without own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”

So yes, your main thought is correct. "My main thought - that I am doing things to suit other people. This dream calls into question my life at present (indeed as the way I have lived my life) - and yes it feels much like this now.

Is it enough? Not if you wish to live a life that is truly fulfilling. But that is easier said than done. Again my situation.
I spent the last few years prior to taking retirement and 'following my bliss' full time planning on doing just that. I had a business which I had bestowed to my son in Middle Tennessee I want to find a way to continue to operate for his benefit. That happened. I had to plan a move to Florida {I long for year round warm weather} which included many things. All that fell into place. I had family and obligations that needed to be fulfilled before I could make my move. That all occurred as it should. I worked toward these things and by being the 'hero' within my own life they all fell into place. I am now in Palm Bay Florida doing my thing.

Do you have any interests in your life that you feel would be your bliss? I just happened upon mine {by chance seeing Campbell and The Power of Myth on PBS some 20 years ago}. If you have not discovered that thing that fulfills the soul then begin looking for it. There is always something that does this. When you do find it then work toward making that your life. The 'beautiful girl', the beauty within yourself will become a reality.

Jerry The God Within You A Prayer For You

Myths-Dreams-Symbols Dream Forum
Sponsored & Supported by:

Gifford Fence Co/Middle Tennessee

Gifford Fence Orlando/Melbourne Fence Pro

Daniel Gifford's 2Stain Fence Staining

Web Design

MyDrSy.com - The Power of Dreams
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics - Dream Interpretation Space Coast, Florida

Space Coast/Treasure Coast Dreams & Dream Interpretation Meet Up Group

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 62 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

hi Jerry,,

thanks for your prompt reply, which I viewed and have mulled over,

the dream is pretty clear isn't it, , , and you have hit the nail in the head too

It helps me to focus, clarify and plan towards the changes that I want = really that is the nubbin of it

Have I found interests that could be my bliss? well yes I think so, teaching yoga , , , it just seems so insane, and 'where does the money come from' (with which to live)? and I am no spring chicken,,,, yet a while ago I fell into this, just once a week (I have little available time) and yet the class is growing and growing, and I need to find another slot, , , in this I am reminded of a dream that I had some years ago - in which I was unable to fill out the lease for a yoga studio (that had everything I would need !); ::: perhaps this is the same indecision that is in this current dream.
So maybe this is it , , , terrifying in a way

all the best and many thanks
Justin

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54, Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Justin,
I know exactly where you are coming from about where will the money come from? I recently took retirement knowing what money I received from pension would be a little less than what i would need to pay the bills and maintain a livable existence. But I took the opportunity to follow my bliss without hesitation believing if I don't do it now I may not have a better opportunity to do do. I did plan my retirement and do have a source of income, although it may not be quite enough.

But I am reminded of Joseph Campbell's quote, one that I have experienced time and time again over the past 15 years in my journey;

“Follow your bliss.
If you do follow your bliss,
you put yourself on a kind of track
that has been there all the while waiting for you,
and the life you ought to be living
is the one you are living.
When you can see that,
you begin to meet people
who are in the field of your bliss,
and they open the doors to you.
I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid,
and doors will open
where you didn't know they were going to be.
If you follow your bliss,
doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.”

There is a caveat to this, one that Campbell noted in his later years. It was how difficult in our time to follow our bliss because of the demands of society. The best thing to do perhaps is to plan your life so you are working toward that bliss and when the right opportunity presents itself {as it did in my case} then take it. What you are doing in planning your yoga classes is right on. Stay with it and don't be surprised when 'doors open' where you had not thought they would be there. You will have to do the 'labor' but the hands of fate will provide the opportunities. This philosophy is a part of what I believe is a mechanism within nature that rewards the soul. Part of the Karma thing.

Jerry The God Within You A Prayer For You

Myths-Dreams-Symbols Dream Forum
Sponsored & Supported by:

Gifford Fence Co/Middle Tennessee

Gifford Fence Orlando/Melbourne Fence Pro

Daniel Gifford's 2Stain Fence Staining

Web Design

MyDrSy.com - The Power of Dreams
Melbourne Dreams & Metaphysics - Dream Interpretation Space Coast, Florida

Space Coast/Treasure Coast Dreams & Dream Interpretation Meet Up Group

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 62 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

thanks Jerry, this is very useful and heartening
It feels that significant changes are afoot; in that if I don't jump I'll be pushed , , ,
Justin

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54, Darwin Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

stats from 7-14-10 to the present