Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
reoccurring place? but not dream?

I've never had to ask someone what my dream's meanings are for me. I am usually quite in tune with myself, and have been for a while. I have a vague idea of what this might mean, but i wanted to get some other opinions to broaden my own interpretation.... thank you.

-The first dream was months ago. I was exploring a part of downtown, i had never seen it before and i doubt it was in the city i live in. i was just in awe of it all. in this downtown, there was a cobblestone road, but only to walk on. you couldnt drive down it even though it was big enough...well i am walking and see this interesting building, i couldnt really tell what it was, like a restaurant style. and i went in and it was this coffee shop. it was really overwhelming, which i have some pretty severe anxiety, so i wanted to run right back out of the door. it was nothing fancy just the energy in there was a lot. something i have never felt before...it was heavy but not negative. i am looking around dumb-struck. and this guy came up and was being nice to me out of no where, i guess he saw i looked lost. and he chatted with me for a bit, i cant remember what we talked about, but his name was scooby doo? which i dont feel is very important. i never liked that show. and i dont remember even getting coffee or even leaving.

-in the second, myself and a very long term friend where planning on bar hopping. and we got to this part of town i didnt know, i looked to my left and there was a really familiar cobblestone road... all the sudden it struck me like lightening. and my friend was walking into a bar, i told her i would meet her later and rushed down the road to see if the coffee shop was really there. i dont remember if i found it or not. i just remember the jolt, and intense drive to go, and the actual choice of not going with her.

-in the third, i was driving around a beach area im familiar with, in a part of the town i wasnt (which is normal for me in all dreams) and i passed by the cobblestone road and it was like lightening shot through my brain. and i HAD to see if it was there. so i parked the car and went down the road, everything was starting to look the same so i got excited and when i came to where i thought it should be the road didnt lead there. it took me down this street with gorgeous old buildings all around, apartments and condos. with vines down them. just incredibly beautiful. and then it lead to a boardwalk and the board walk was kind of like a fair, except no where to veer away from venders. which there was a wall of tents with drunk beach partiers giving out beer and weird t shirts, and when i didnt accept the beer they all started giving me hell. bumping into me, and looking down on me. thats all i remember of that (and by this time, im kind of thinking the coffee shop thing is weird)

-the most recent one i was with my mom and brother in the grocery store, just walking around and the thought struck me again, and i freaked out, saying we had to go now that i had to find this coffee shop while i still remember, and my mom is like well where do we even need to go?! and so i grabbed her hand and we ran through a door that lead to another building, even though i was sure that the door would lead to the road... but i realized i was in the building that the bar used to be in and i could just go out the door and down the street to it. it had been turned into some kid halloween rave place. so there was neon lights and loud music, but it was like 10am so no one was there except the one guy who worked there, and i went to go ask him if he knew where the coffee shop was, and he made a cute attempt at flirting with me and i got so flustered i woke up (told you about the anxiety!)

anyway, i have had re-occurring dreams before, but never a place, and never an idea that has carried over so many dreams with this intensity

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 22& Georgia, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? google search

Re: reoccurring place? but not dream?

Lindsey,
I will break down the four dream separately {which I have already done as I type this}. I see a distinct pattern in the dreams. If you will please respond to my analysis so we can see what actually fits and what more we can determine from your remarks. What little I know about you is compensated by what the dreams tell me and the more you do tell me about yourself {in a response} the more I can offer.

Dream 1
An inner part of yourself that has not been explored. Something foreign, perhaps something deep within your unconscious you are not consciously familiar with {deeper aspects}. The road would be your direction in life. The cobblestones are round which may suggest seeking wholeness. It is something you may be 'walking' on currently, seeking larger and more interesting aspects in your life {building}. Restaurants serve up many 'plates' of possibilities and this may represent many choices you have to choose from. Coffee often represents two things; stimulation and habits. You may want to change your routine but are not yet stimulate enough to seek the higher possibilities. There is a lot of energy within to do so but it is a heavy task to actually go for. You are lost in what to do. Trivial things may getting in the way.

My thoughts are on this dream you may be at a point in life where you need to make important decisions for the future but are overwhelmed not only by the possibilities but getting motivated to do so. This dream is from months ago and perhaps something has changed. Let's see what the other dreams have to offer.
You are doing your 'normal' thing as a 22 year old but this other part of you is calling. Something has 'jolted' you into this 'road' you should be on. The long term friend is a part of you, who you have been in the long term-up to now. You know you need to put that part of you off and concentrate on these anxieties to do with the 'drive' needed to make choices.

There seems to be a pattern developing do you think?
The beach is connecting you to the aspects in life you are not familiar with {beach to sea is like conscious to unconscious}. You are familiar with your old self {long term life you have lived} but now there are new things to consider. This is now really beginning to set in, it is time to make decisions for the future {lightening shot through your brain}. Mentally you need to start thinking seriously about these things. Unconsciously you know you need to explore the 'cobblestone' path {anything round suggests those things that bring about wholeness in life and often points to creative aspects}. THINK CREATIVE! Those possibilities are exciting. The fair may suggest moving forward with renewed energy, away from the social scene and what is required of you {vendors}, those things from past you no longer can except. You may be resisting this new path and also may be getting resistance from your friends because of even considering this cobblestone 'path'. You are getting stimulated to go this route, which is weird since you may have not seriously considered it before.

The patter continues to evolve.
Family matters may be part of the consideration in this new path you are considering. Your mother and brother may represent themselves {in relationship to you since your dreams are about you} and may be apart of the decisions you will have to make. But they also represent aspects of yourself with your mother being a higher feminine aspect and your brother a developing masculine aspect. Creativity/spirituality are feminine aspects. Finding the strength to do go down the 'cobblestone' road would be your developing masculine self or animus{brother}. Dreams always have at least two applications and you may find both of the above to be true.

"Having to go' is the urgency now in your life. This may be reflecting a real experience in your waking life. The coffee shop is your 'stimulated self' {needing to get over old habits?}. Your higher feminine {mother} leads to a higher aspect {building} which you know will lead to a specific direction {are you at a point of making concrete decisions in your waking life?}. That old self used to be who you were but is now different. But although you may be on a new path you still have the past and can return. This may suggest accepting new aspects but retaining parts of the old you, which would be about your personality {dreams often reveal personality traits}. The old 'rave' is no longer busy and you are now looking toward the 'coffee' shop. That part is 'flirting' with you.

My take from the four dreams is you are now at that stage of life where decisions about your future are pressing you. Are you considering something out of the ordinary as a possible career move {or life change}? Moving away from obligations {family and social} are a part of the decision making process {family-mother and brother-is your dad not a 'real' part of your life?}. You may be finding it hard to leave old habits behind but there seems to be a 'calling' for you. If so follow it. You get two chances in life to make the right decisions and if you pass this one up it will be mid-life before you get the second chance {that is what happened to me-42 when I first began exploring dreams}.

Where do these things I stated fit into your life? I have loosely provided the possibilities but only you know the facts of your life. The dreams will fit with your life. And they point you in the right direction so you can find the wholeness and happiness you seek. Just as the body has the immune system, the psyche has the dream as a therapeutic tool.

Again, please provide a response. It takes time to analyze dreams and providing a good response would be the appropriate thin to do. That is my compensation.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 63 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Host Dream Forum

well most of the past ones,where in times where i cant remember, but i was exploring the other more in tune and responsible self in that side. i have cut out an IMMENSE amount of things. substances and people, and i was trying really hard to decide what i wanted to do with my life, and i was forcing it and leading down dead ends. (lol) so thats about all the feedback i can give you about the first three.

now, the last one... you got me there. the part about the mother and brother, my mother is no where near in touch with her feminine side , my brother is moreso, BUT i think it is reffering to this paranoia she has instilled in me about failure and taking the 'easy money' route, which will never be my style. i have tried. it is not all her fault i think this way, its just something i have picked up from her, it keeps me from doing things i find really important a lot of the time. like traveling or volunteering or helping people in need, or even going out with new friends i have made that support my new lifestyle and engage in the activities i have always liked to do. but maybe three weeks ago, i did made my own plans that I wanted to do. where i wanted to go, who i wanted to go, when i wanted to go. and it felt awesome. she tried to dissuade me. but i did it and the world didnt end. that turned my world upside down.

my brother to me is a touchy subject though, we were best friends, and he moved out with his gf not even an hour away and i never see him, when i do she is there, and he lets her treat us like garbage. so i have had to go through a whole grieving process with him, literally like someone died, but now...im free. they were my crutches. i could move without them. i feel myself walking on my own and it makes me happy. and growing up.

also i have stumbled upon a career path i am infatuated with. people dont seem to like the idea... but something about it just clicks, i wanted to do it in highschool before i "lost" myself and never really thought about it until recently. i am in school, but i plan on pursuing it.

another thing though that i feel for some reason it has to do with is my....idk what you would call it, spiritual gifts? i have been neglecting them for so long and within the last two weeks they have flooded back screaming messages that need to be told. and even in the face of that i wasnt going to tell them, it makes people i know uncomfortable to get messages from their deceased. but today i relayed one... and i was overcome with warmth and love, and tears! im not sure if it could have to do with that?

i REALLY appreciate your time and effort though, you have helped me so much

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Lindsay,
The aspects I mentioned are about you, not your mother or brother. They represent parts of you. As for not being your mother's fault {paranoia}, you merely picked it up from her. Childhood influences are what make who you are as an adult. In reality a great deal of it is her fault. She, through her actions and influence on your thinking, is responsible for who you are. We all are pretty much products of our childhood.

Your plans of 3 weeks ago does seem to fit with my analysis. Doing what you really want to do and not what others want or require. That is the 'hero/ine path' we must travel to be who we really are. Not what society {or parents} want but what the soul yearns for. Not doing that takes you off your path.

The family associations came through very strong in your dream. With what you have stated about your mother and brother I can see why. Your mother wants to control and your brother was your 'crutches' and moved away. His treatment of his gf needs to be examined, and resolved. Why does he treat her that way? Look at his childhood and you will probably find the answers.

The career path you spoke of also came through very strong in your dream. My advice is to do it. If you don't your life will be what others want and not what you want. That will never work. Look around at all the people who do what is required and never what they really want to do. Joseph Campbell said 'follow your bliss'. Not for money but because it is what you love doing. When you do that the money will come, the helping hands of fate {what some call angles} will be there when you need them. Where there are barriers doors will open. Nature has a way of helping those who help themselves to do what the soul desires. As I stated in my analysis, you get two chances. One is now. Take it or you will spend the next 20 years wishing you had. That is what I did and I was 42 before I got my second chance, and was fortunate to recognize it.

A bit of my story.
I was always interested in psychology but because of early life deficiencies {my father left my mother and 4 kids when I was 6-we were poor and it made me very shy and introverted}. As a young adult I took the easy way out. Then when I was 42 I just happen to see Joseph Campbell on TV talking about 'Jungian' stuff {mythology and dreams}. I was caught immediately and have been with it every since. I went from a couch potato football nut to doing the thing I was destined to do. Working with dreams and designing websites {Myths-Dreams-Symbols and The Power of Dreams being the most important}. I was fortunate {fate} to see Campbell and learn about following my bliss. Now I am retired and doing what I love doing. I don't have a lot of money but I do have a lot of 'wealth'. Creative and spiritual wealth. Spiritual but not religious.

I'll start working on your other dream later today. The dream looks to be addressing some strong emotional issues. Dreams are a direct link to the unconscious and they {in a symbolic language} state what you and your life is all about. Many psychologists are now using dreams to treat their patients since it is the fastest way to look within the unconscious. Dreams are about the emotions and whatever is in conflict the dream is attempting to help resolve. Your dream goblin represents an emotional conflict of some type, one that needs to be solved. Maybe we can figure what it is and get rid of him so he no longer 'bothers' you.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Jerry,

I have been documenting my dreams (well, not all but a fair amount) for years probably seven or eight now. And i didn't do so well interpreting them at first, but over the years, delving deeper and synching up symbols and patterns in my life i have gotten a LITTLE better... it is easier to see things for others than myself. so i think that is why i turned a blind eye to the family aspect. my brother and mother are the only once i fiercely protect and defend. My brother specially.

-my brother and my background (some)-
we had a rather traumatic childhood. lots of abuse on EVERY level. and i was older so i resented myself for not protecting him more (still struggling with that) and my family is a very emotionally distant one. and never much physical affection shown. My brother was always the opposite....in the last four or five years though we worked through past events together and grew extremely close. now i realize i was extremely dependent on him. even when he was in serious relationships, i was there. but now its different. i am glad he has found what he wants (though she will never be good enough to deserve it...but neither would any woman) but i had a rough time not seeing him for months and never hearing from him. i think now though, this was a good thing for me. i am learning to depend more on myself. and listen to myself for guidance. and branch out to make new friends

-more of my recent story-
i have spent four years going to schools for things people have told me i would love and be successful in. and though i did well....it killed me inside. it was never the challenge i wanted. there were challenges, but not any i was willing to work through for some job i didnt really want. (illustration, cosmetology, social work) then i took a year off to find out what i really wanted....and i constantly tried to find jobs i could make money at and would be easy...but they wanted me to fit a mold it was impossible for me to fill (bank teller, pharmacy tech, data entry, secretary, billing and coding...etc) and then it just fell in my lap...anthropology, maybe archaeology. but it has been forming more concrete form while im in school to achieve it. though i still have a LONG way to go i am excited (forensic anthropology) and i am doing better now than ever before. the second i started looking after my needs and wants things started opening up....and i am not used to it.

the other dream i had was years ago. but just is still scary to me. i dont really think of it much though, but the dreams are more vivid to me than this world, so its really frightening when i do....and if you knew me, not much frightens me

Lindsey,
Follow your bliss. If forensic anthropology excites you then indulge yourself. You are fortunate to be aware of the need to follow your soul and not what society dictates. There is where the world has gone wrong. Most people follow the money and are never satisfied. Those who follow their bliss find bliss.

All three dreams seem to be addressing this bliss factor. There are always aspects of the current conscious life within the dreams {all dreams have at least two meanings/applications} but all three seem to be focused on the soul's 'high adventure'. I can see where the 'social dragon' {doing what others want you to do} is trying to keep you from your bliss but your resistance is strong within the dreams. That is good news. It demonstrates a strong conscious outer self and that is what is important. Most people have dreams of their bliss but few consciously realize or even attempt to understand this vital aspect of life. Once the excitement sets in and takes control there is no turning back. To do so would be like stabbing yourself in the heart {'the refusal of the call' in Joseph Campbell's Monomyth}. These dreams seem to confirm you have gotten past that and are now 'Crossing of the First Threshold'. There are many temptations ahead that can derail you and there will be times when it may seem you will have to abandon the adventure {Road of Trials}. But once you learn how powerful the call can be there is no turning back. Go for it and do not be afraid. As Campbell put it:
"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. Where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world".

For many such things seem stupid, following your bliss, disobeying society and doing what the soul desires. But those people never realize true happiness because they spend their entire lives looking for material things. It is what you love doing most that is enriching. Follow that path and doors will always open for you no matter how difficult it may see. And you will be in good company. Some of the people who were Joseph Campbell 'disciples' are George Lucas {the whole Star Wars trilogy is based on Campbell's Monomyth}, Linda Ronstadt, Jerry Garcia, Jackie Kennedy and millions of others like myself who discovered him from the popular PBS series The Power of Myth.

As for your dreams and documenting them. That will fit neatly with your interest in forensic anthropology. One vital aspect in dreams is they deal with the 'roots' or foundations of personality and the underlying causes of why people do the things they do and who they are. Dreams focus on both the individual and the collective {archetypes}, the past and the present, seeking to discover what is 'underneath'. Anthropology is the study of humankind, past and present, that draws and builds upon knowledge from social and biological sciences. I read a lot about anthropology because it provide information about the roots of mankind and that provides insights to why we who we are as humans. I can see where it would be most interesting. Just think, waking up every morning knowing you are going to spend the day working with forensics and anthropology.
"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive. That's what it's all finally about, and that's what these clues help us to find within ourselves."

The clues come from within and dreams point to the same path of following your bliss. My sense your dreams are saying, "Don't wait until later, do it now."

Forgive me if I sound as if I am preaching but when i meet someone who is on the verge of discovering the most important thing in life {as I did} I can't help but encourage that to happen. Believe me, if you will follow your soul and excitement life will open up and whatever gets in your way you will find a path around it. The 'bliss' factor has nature on its side {the laws of Karma} and there is nothing more powerful than that.

Jerry

I enjoy a good sermon when it is brimming with passion. People who show their passion remind me to follow mine. Your insight has helped me beyond my expectations. When people ask about anthropology i tell them the exact same thing. past and present. I believe now, me stumbling across this forum is by more than chance. Now that fast money jobs are not what i want. I am having them thrown at me. But the things i have going now are far too rare to give up. My biggest problem is procrastination. I am afraid to fail at something i really love. but i have overcome that and every force in my life seems to be supporting it. You are right, I (my brain) am/is right. It is time. I constantly seek out reassurance and i failed to realize my brain has been giving it to me nightly. haha. I had heard that every part of your dream is an aspect of you, and had forgotten it. now i am remembering four or five dreams a night, and all are inspiring with the new insight.

i know you are probably already assured in what you do, but i'm going to tell you anyway. dont quit doing what you do. you are a teacher, you do not regurgitate dream symbols you read everywhere, you teach how to listen to yourself. and that is just as important as teaching a man to fish.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 22 usa/georgia

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? google

Thanks Lindsey. Your inspiration is refreshing and it provides support for my own. I know you will follow through with the anthropology path because I believe you understand that it is the passion we feel in out souls that ultimately provides meaning in life. While others focus on the outer material world, those who realize that it comes within are the ones who find the greatest happiness in life. Having lived 63 years worth of experience I have been on the 'extremes' of both. The outer is fleeting at best, always needing new 'material' to survive. With the inner path you discover that one thing that never gets old, is always rewarding and with its support system from nature you receive all the material worth that is needed. Not to say life will be perfect, it can never be {the first Buddhist saying, 'life is all sorrowful'}. But even with that you realize the short time we are here is best spent doing what we were meant to do. Everyone is different but everyone has a 'passion'. As long as it is creative and spiritual {not religious] then there will be success. As my mentor stated, a quote that continues to inspire me:

“Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have one before us, the labyrinth is fully known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero-path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.”

It is important to note that following one's bliss, as Campbell saw it, isn't merely a matter of doing whatever you like, and certainly not doing simply as you are told. It is a matter of identifying that pursuit which you are truly passionate about and attempting to give yourself absolutely to it. In so doing, you will find your fullest potential and serve your community to the greatest possible extent.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present