Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to find a lost Jung quote

Hi Jerry, I was on Salon.com reading an article about the acrimony between Deepak Chopra and Richard Dawkins. I wanted to supplement a comment I commented that I didn't know a lot about Chopra, but I do believe in the soul, while at the same time acknowledging the staggering amount of time it took for humans to evolve. My comment was not received well by a Dawkins apologist, who set about disparaging the idea of the human soul. Anyway, I wanted to supplement my comment with a quote of Jung being skeptical of scientific progress. If I remember correctly, it is from his article in Man and His Symbols. He dwells for a sentence or two on the fact that every advance in science has brought with it a compensating evil. Something to that nature. If anyone could share a link to that quote I would be very appreciative. I will keep looking, not sure exactly which book it was from. Thanks, Sam

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Trying to find a lost Jung quote

Sam,
It can be frustrating to remember exact quotes. I've done it many times but usually with the power of the internet I am able to find what I am looking for. I am not familiar with the quote you are searching for but the theme of would seem to fit Jung. I did find this which could support the quote you are looking for,
Jung: "As scientific understanding has grown, so our world has become dehumanized." That would fit with 'every advance in science has brought with it a compensating evil' since being dehumanized is an evil thing.

The full quote from celebritytypes.com

Jung: "As scientific understanding has grown, so our world has become dehumanized. Man feels himself isolated in the cosmos, because he is no longer involved in nature and has lost his emotional 'unconscious identity' with natural phenomena."

As for Dawkins. He takes his atheism to the extreme but many atheists do not believe in the soul. Its hard to justify a soul since it is not something you will find within the body or on an operating table. I don't want to use the word faith because I see it as a tool for dependency but it does require confidence in the experience of the metaphysical possibilities that exist to believe in a soul. The problem with people like Dawkins is they are stuck in the physical world which is conceived by the ego as the only true existence there is. Anyone stuck with ego needs to visit a Jungian {or at least a Freudian} therapist so they can get past themselves and see beyond their limitations. You can't grasp the possibility of a soul when you are lost in ego.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 64 Cocoa, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Trying to find a lost Jung quote

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that quote, I somehow just remembered that I forgot to check for your reply. I apologize for taking so long, I started with a new company a few weeks ago so things have been a bit awkward, but I will make another search this morning and share if I find something. Thank You Jerry :)

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Missoula, MT 37

stats from 7-14-10 to the present