Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dark dream.

I've been posting here for a while, and the same issue seems to be coming up: psychological emotional issues from my childhood. And in my life I really am at a point where I feel there is always this floating anxiety and I can't live my life at peace and enjoy the present moment.

It's hard trying to pick a specific experience that left me emotionally scarred. As a kid, I was neglected by peers and some family up until my teens. I've witnessed domestic violence between my parents as a child. And I had many babysitters growing up. One of them in particular did hurt my sister and I; she'd force feed us sometimes and make us eat/watch things that weren't good for a child.

In general, I've been psychologically tortured in my life by being neglected at many points, and being either used or taken advantage of when I choose to love. My defense mechanism right now is to intellectualize everything and refrain from putting my emotions first.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 21

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? If necessary.

I hope you will not mind my chiming in to your dream post here.

The voice I share here is one that comes from experience.

Often, when one has suffered childhood abuse(s), the child introjects the framework of those causing the harm/abuse. Actually, every child introjects A LOT from their environment. But, it is sad when what is introjected is less than good and wholesome. When there is abuse in various forms, the abusers become (at least part of) the internal working models in the psyche of the child. This is quite likely the reason you see the mean old woman in the dream as looking somewhat like yourself/someone familiar. In reality, it was familiar others in your life that mistreated you, but because of the unconscious identification when you were a child, you absorbed their character as your own inner scaffolding/framework. And you may blame yourself for the abuse. But, certainly, it was NOT! your fault.

I am of the opinion that if our dreams are bringing our issues to the foreground, then our psyche is saying it is time/ready to heal.

You mentioned studying abroad. Does this mean you are at University, presently? I ask because most University's have Counseling Centers where one may get help free of charge.

The anxiety and dreams are the symptoms prodding you to seek help to resolve the psychological/emotional issues.

I think there still looms large a stigma which keeps people from seeking help for their mental health. A stigma which may call it a sign of weakness to have to see a mental health professional. But it just is not so. It is actually a demonstration of strength to step forward into helping oneself. You were not capable to do so as child, but you are capable of doing so now. And there are caring professionals standing ready to help.

Sincere Regards

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49, Female, Missouri

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Anonymous,
What you say is true. The emotional issues from childhood become 'fixed' within the psyche and become motivators for personality and actions in adult life. We used to think infants were born with a blank slate but now we know they have a whole set of instructions mapped out as to how life should be. Besides the physical mother/father we all have archetypal mothers/fathers, inherent expectations within each psyche that are there to preserve wholeness and harmony as a direction for human life {just like the turtle knows to go to water when hatched, humans also have these inherent instructions, the archetypes}. Nature has provided these mapped out instructions and when not met we are 'out of balance' and our dreams attempt to help us right the ship and bring about balance, wholeness and harmony.

But beyond the archetypes we also now know that infants have the greatest capacity of learning in their earliest years. Recent research in brain development shows how critical the first years of a child’s life are to their happiness and success. What a child learns/witnesses in their earliest years become templates for personality and how the child lives their life. Experiences/influences from those years are motivators for behavior and most often what is learned in the early years come back as actions in adult life. These motivating energies are visited nightly in our dreams.

Just as the immune system protects/heals the body, nature provided us with the dream to perform the same function for the psyche.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present