Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Edge in Dubai

Jerry,

Thanks again for your reply. This paragraph elaborating on the phrases/actions element is extremely informative and again I feel closer to understanding your method. I have one more question on my mind about your method. What do you do when you come across a word that is not in the dream dictionary like cable car for example isn't in all dream dictionaries so what would your approach be in such a case?
Also I was wondering about something else in my work with images. Do you find any significance in the difference between suggested images and manifested images for example is their any difference in this dream when working with the image of the cable cart (which is actually a solid visual element in the dream) and lou salome who is merely suggested in conversation and is thus not actually a solid image only a suggested one? Should these images be treated equally or is there another way of approaching these differently?
As for the ongoing dynamic that the dream is hinting at it is the same dynamic the same feeling that is at work in me now as was in university and school. I am still trying to overcome the same problem. Between my dream work and writing my book as well as my other activities and projects I'm engaged in I end up feeling like I'm not doing enough and I feel ineffectual and so frustrate my efforts somewhat. This is a powerful dynamic in my life and I still feel it affecting my work even now. And so this dream has a key ongoing importance.
In further analysis of the dreams I keep finding that different levels make sense for different parts of my life. It is as you say the multiple meanings of the dream coming into play. I am finding the change of Australia dynamic at work within the dream especially with the rooftop to the ladder scene yet the rest of the dream is making a lot of sense in terms of this dynamic. Of course perhaps the same dynamic is at work? Hmm it is complex working with all these different layers.
It is amazing how much work continues to emerge from working with one dream. It is hard to imagine working through all dreams when one can provide so much depth the longer it is worked at!!

Thanks,
Jimmy

PS while I am sorry to hear that your cat is still missing I am sure you are right about her resilience. Cats are strong creatures and I am sure she is probably doing quote well. Still it would be nice to have a safe return. I am also delighted to hear about your back. Sounds like a delicate balance to be maintained in this care for its health but it sounds like you are in touch with what I requires.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23 now in canada (previously travelling Australia) but from Ireland

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Absolutely!

Jimmy,
A brief comment {if that is even possible when I 'get on' about a topic related to dreams} to answer your questions and I will provide a more detailed response tomorrow.

As for words {and even actions when in short phrases} I can not put a finger on without suggestions/help I use regular dictionaries to try and ascertain* the exact meaning/application within the actions, and the origins of the word if possible and needed. Often understanding its dictionary 'exact' meaning will provide insights. But I am of the mind that words, just as are archetypes {an original that has been imitated}, have origins related to the natural psyche. So is the dream, the natural psyche's tool to help resolve emotions issues/conflicts {just as the body has the immune system, the psyche has the dream}. In this context it is logical/plausible to believe the meaning/application of a word will always have associations to its origins. The meaning we find in a dictionary will always have several meanings depending on its intent in the dream. Depending on how it is used within an action, a word may be more applicable to its origins than it does the normal definition most people think of it as having. This is where the intuitive mind senses energies from the flow of actions in a dream and 'naturally' begins recognize patterns and the true intended meaning/application of the word {as it has to do with the dreamer and their emotions and fits firmly within that}. The context in which it is used is important because it must fit within the pattern flow but not get away from its meaning in relationship to the dreamer and the dream. As with a puzzle you can not force a piec that doesn't fit into a space that requires a true fit.
*Note: why I use quality dream dictionaries-for good possibilities of their application-the two I use are pretty much Jungian based}.

The question about whether the difference between suggested images and manifested images, I usually don't and usually can't always differentiate between the two since, as in the use of lou salome who is merely suggested in conversation, I know nothing more than what the dream provides and I work with that. There are personal associations to lou salome that only you can know and although I may get clues to what those are from other dream language {friend}, I don't look for the personal but instead look at him as being a male and a friend {anima/animus associations and rejected aspects that can become positive through self discovery in the word friend}. If I knew the actual associations you identify with in lu salome I could name personal experiences in my analysis as well as fit more pieces of the puzzle having that knowledge. I work with what i have and stay with Jung's dictate 'the dream means exactly what it says'. Of course the language of dream is symbol/metaphor, and there are so many twists and possibilities in the words and actions that must be deciphered, it does take experience and a good working knowledge of the basics to get really good at dream analysis. I've been working with dreams since 1992 and have the Dream Forum to 'test' and learn.

Again I will state I have begun to use the basic outlines of Jungian concepts instead of the strict application academics use {goes for others also, Freud, Adler, etc}. I usefd to be more inclined to look at the strict concepts and of course have had good success with that. But the change to basics instead and with a bit different thinking to generalities as being as applicable than though {a house is the dreamer, not it that could be}. This is one aspect of my personal work I find most rewarding because I have developed a successful and what I think as a proven method of analyzing/interpreting dreams, derived from my own experiences in working with dreams. As with sensing the outlines of a dream, using the outlines that have been established as true {science}, I have developed concepts of analyzing dreams that seems to fit with how dreams do function, naturally. It is successful for me and I believe it can be for anyone who studies Jung in depth and has a developed intuitive mind. The proof of my success {as I have stated time and again} is in the posted dreams at the Dream Forum.

I'll provide further comments tomorrow {Monday}.

Jerry [preay]

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Jimmy,
Another aspect of interpreting dreams is at a later date {even months later} you may realize other associations and meanings/applications. It is beyond fascinating dreams do have so many levels because they will use the same images to address the different aspects of the emotional energies. When a dream is dissected to its most minute parts you may discover the dream revealing aspects of personality and personal attitudes. Of course the primary goal is to discover the underlying reasons for personal attitudes and traits {almost all dreams are focused on the negative attitudes that need a correction}. Once those are understood you can see why a person thinks and acts as they do. The unconscious energies are motivators to personality and personal attitudes/traits and more often than not the person is totally unaware of them. They go through life guided by energies established early in life, imprinted on the psyche and the topic of dreams until there is a resolution to the energies.

This was my experience. The lack of a father figure {especially in early years} causing me to develop an unconscious attitude to seek and find substitutes for what was not received as a child. This is a common pattern and is often the plot of mythological stories where the son goes on an adventure looking for their father {Luke Skywalker being a better known tale of this type search}. And often that search will reveal the shadow self, the developed pattern where the son has unconscious tendencies to follow the patterns of the father {Darth Vader as Luke's shadow}. It is not just by coincidence Star Wars used the familiar mythological themes, George Lucas pretty used Joseph Campbell's Monomyth to develop the characters in the movie {Lucas was a student of Campbell like myself and much of The Power of Myth was filmed at Lucas' Skywalker ranch}.

And again this was how I lived my life, up until I was 42 and discovered Jungian psyche {via Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth-Note: this link will take you to another page of the interview with Campbell}. Having married and divorced three wonderful women, I possessed an unfulfilled 'inner child' which 'prompted me to look for something outside me that could never fulfill what was needed by the inner self {I say prompt because individual experiences later in life often determine how these unconscious patterns play out}. Once I understood the energies I was able to reconcile why they did hold me hostage and eventually resolve the issues. The story of Luke Skywalker is my story, is a common story, not only in real life but also as archetypal patterns in dreams. Dreams and myth share the same archetypal energies {as well images/actions} and when there is an image of a mysterious 'shaman' or similar figure it usually comes when there is a new realization or major change in the dreamer's life. The dream pattern may even follow the patter of the mythical hero journey since the patterns as well as the personal experiences are shared. Fascinating to say the least, enlightening when realized, understood and applied to the personal life.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Jerry,

Thanks again for the advice and tips with regard to your process. It is clearly an intuitive method you have developed yourself but I think I am slowly starting to get it. I also love this idea of returning to dreams months later and gathering more insights. It is actually exciting By the way what are the two dream dictionaries that you use? I've seen that you use the hyper dictionary but I couldn't find the link to the other one.
Thank you also for sharing more of your story and your journey. I do love the identification of mythology and personal life. It is a great elevation for us and a groudning for myth I feel. And also I like the call for people to follow their bliss which results from this ideal realisation of our identification with the hero's journey. I like and respect that you have found and are living your myth. It is fantastic.
As for what you are saying about the shaman figure I've started working on a dream of mine from a couple of weeks ago involving gandalf the grey from the lord of the rings who seems to be my wise old man. I'll post the dream up now I'd love your help and your insight on it.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23 now in canada (previously travelling Australia) but from Ireland

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Absolutely!

stats from 7-14-10 to the present