Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Museum

Jackie,
The 'key' to the dream are associations with Dot. There is something within you that has strong qualities that you need to follow. Dot exemplified those qualities. Something of great value that now could assist you in your search for position {chosen field of work}. It has a lot to do with that search but more importantly it has to do with inner aspects. I get the sense there are aspects related to Dot {she gave you the key}, positive aspects that may have to do with those early life experiences and memories. I can't provide a definite answer to what that is but the dream seems to be saying you have lost some of those positive qualities over time and need to look to your greater assets. Is your chosen field of work what you really want to do in life or is it because you have stayed with it due to position of what you know and not because it is what the heart desires? I get a sense the reference to the "heart's content' reference is pointing to that thing in life that will satisfy you beyond mere material worth. It could be related to that early time in life where things were happy and positive but it likely is more than that. The word 'reading' may be a key. Is there a creative thing in life you wish you could be doing? I sense something beyond the norm {position that provides material security but not true inner happiness}. I would need more personal info to get to the source that is key to your inner happiness.

here is my interpretation of the images and actions. These may help in understanding what the key is.

Title: Museum
-history of your emotional life

Dream Images/Actions/Paragraph 1
I was in Charlotte, NC (I grew up in Charlotte) in my dream, I was visiting there with my mom and we were going to be there for 7-8 days. I remember walking a path with my mom at one point and marveling at how the scenery has both changed and remained the same. I then went to take a walk on my own and was again, marveling at what I was seeing - strange brush, a multitude of new rugged stones, trickling water, small spots of grass...this whole area had used to just be a lawn. I look up and observe my old neighbor from across the street, Dot. It is warm out and she is wearing capris, sandals and a button down shirt with a tank top: how I remember her. Dot is elderly now and still lives in the same home from when I was a child. In any case, she is guiding me to a building. As we walk I comment to her that I can't believe how much the area has changed and yet feels the same at the same time! I notice that the building that we are heading to is a museum. On our walk there she is talking to me about the plants.

-I was in Charlotte-in the past but also in the present
-visiting with mom-looking back at past experiences involving nurturing
-going to be there 7-8 days-may be addressing experiences at age 7/8
-remember walking a path with mom at one point-one memorable experience on your path in life
-scenery has both change and remained same-past experience still possessing emotional energies
-take a walk on my own/was again marveling at what I was seeing-emotional energies as motivating present experiences
-strange brush, multitude of new rugged stones, trickling water, small spots of grass-emotional undergrowth {unconscious}, developing self identity from rough past, slow flow of unconscious energies, natural protection from psyche filters
-whole area had used to be a lawn-whole past life seen has having well being
-look up observe old neighbor across street, Dot-positive aspects you wish to have possessed by Dot
-she is wearing capris, sandals, tank top-temptation/your role, at ease/treading lightly, open emotions
-how I remember her-old memories
-Dot is elderly/still in home-old experiences that still have emotional energies
-area had changed but feels the same-getting older but still possessing same emotional energies
-building was museum-your whole emotional life affecting who you are as an adult
-on our walk/she talking about plants-personal growth progression

Paragraph 1
Inside the museum I notice that the floor is painted concrete, forest green, and worn with time. It reminds me of the 80's for some reason. I see dead, dried leaves on the floor and I am thinking that the place has not been upkept. Dot goes ahead and gives me a key to the museum telling me that I should come in and read anything that I want to about the local flora and fauna, telling me that the museum has it all. She also tells me that she is the lead person in all of the magnolia states (?) on this information and that she has compiled it. I relish the idea of being able to come in here to read to my hearts content about everything and I plan to do just that. While walking in the museum, it initially seems small, but is in all actuality quite large. I see some people working at their desks as well. I look down at the key that Dot gave me and I see that the keychain is a large black circle with a small rectangular white area with numbers on it - 724.

-inside museum-inner emotional life
-first floor is painted concrete, forest green, worn with time-fixed original attitudes, fertile growth which has been lost with age
-80s-age 8, Dot's current age?
-dead, dried leaves on the floor-withered hopes, desires in current life' lack of security
-place has not been upkept-life is in disheveled
-Dot goes ahead/gives me the key to museum-associations to Dot that are key to inner issues
-local flora/fauna-personal aspects of progressive self
-museum has it all-past experiences that have value
-she {Dot} is lead person in all of magnolia states-related experiences {Dot} central to better quality of life
-relish idea/come here to read to hearts content about everything-focusing on positive aspects of inner self/past
-while walking in museum/seems small/quite large-positive inner aspects more abundant than realized
-people working at desks-working-working in analyzing issues
-look at key dot gave me/keychain/large black circle/rectangular white area/numbers 724-key to wholeness is innovation/being creative

Paragraph 3
I panic for a moment when I look at this key wondering: How long can I keep it for? The length of time that I am here visiting? Dot doesn't know that I am visiting....what if I leave and am gone for 2 years? What do I do? She implied to me in the dream that they key was for me to keep, but it seems to good to be true. I hate to have to give the key back to her - that I DO remember thinking, but I also recognized that it wouldn't be fair to keep it if I was not staying. Likewise, in the dream, I knew that I didn't want to have to leave Charlotte at all, and I was thinking that I would reassess everything at the end of the week because who knows...maybe I would get lucky and not HAVE to leave, or maybe I just simply wouldn't WANT to.

-panic for a moment when look at key-moments of feeling helpless when contemplating key to success
-length of time visiting-spending time thinking/not doing
-Dot does not know I am visiting-Not realizing associations {Dot}
-what if I leave for 2 years?-
-what do I do?-
-She implied key was for me to keep-holding onto to positive aspects
-seems to good to be true-
-hate to give it back to her-not keeping with positive aspects
-Do remember thinking-need to process thoughts/options
-not fair if not staying-
-did not want to leave Charlotte/reassess everything at end of week-staying with what you know/reassessing weaknesses
-get lucky/not have to leave-staying with favored aspects

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 67

Jackie,
After some thought and a good night's sleep {I value my dream time} it came to me that the central theme of your dream was the ?. You have questions about your life and your direction and because you are in search of a job/position in your chosen field questioning yourself and your decisions would be an emotional issue on your mind {dreams are about emotions and specifically emotional conflicts}. And because all dreams address current issues as well as foundational aspects it may be your personality is one where indecision or decision making is in question. Self esteem would lend itself to this type issue. Of course Dot's appearance in the dream would need to fit but because that was from your childhood getting to the reasons may be difficult.

Jerry

You really have me thinking about this because when I think of my childhood, I always felt like there was something magical (as corny as that sounds) and that there were a lot of possibilities. I never felt like I could pinpoint what those were, per se, but I felt like it was out there. (I am realizing this probably sounds vague and idealistic in some way).

You had said: I can't provide a definite answer to what that is but the dream seems to be saying you have lost some of those positive qualities over time and need to look to your greater assets.

I agree with this – I remember being much more trusting, open and creative.
Is your chosen field of work what you really want to do in life or is it because you have stayed with it due to position of what you know and not because it is what the heart desires? I get a sense the reference to the "heart's content' reference is pointing to that thing in life that will satisfy you beyond mere material worth. The word 'reading' may be a key. Is there a creative thing in life you wish you could be doing? I sense something beyond the norm {position that provides material security but not true inner happiness}. I would need more personal info to get to the source that is key to your inner happiness.

I went back to get my degree in Interior Design after being unhappy with my routine office job. I am feeling discouraged because I have not yet found any opportunity to get my foot in the door. Meanwhile, I am still in my routine office job that makes me feel miserable and likewise has me wondering if I will ever get the opportunity to do what I went to school for.
If I look at hearts content, in some ways I am not entirely sure of what that would be. I know that I do not like my current work situation. I know that I love art and creating art (I also paint) and creating beautiful spaces and I know that I have ideas on what I want to do with the design aspect of my life (but need to meet the appropriate people). Likewise, I am not living where I would like to be living (wow, I sound miserable, sorry!). I do believe that I have had a focus on returning to NC for a long time. I was hoping to obtain a job in a design-related field (or ANY field for that matter!) in the State, but I have not had any luck whatsoever. On the flip side of this, I have likewise not had the same opportunity where I live, currently. There is that catch-22: You need x amount of experience, but no one wants to afford it to you. I have been freelancing on the side, but whenever I interview, my freelancing is just not what they are looking for. I believe part of this ties into my desire to have, I guess, what I believe would be a good life doing what I enjoy, and living where I ultimately want to live.

My self-esteem I think ties in because I have been feeling low since it seems like no one wants to hire me which then has me wondering if I have any talent/skill in this field I would like to get my foot into at all. I also get discouraged by the limited number of opportunities that I see out there.

I have added some thoughts/comments to some of the bulleted lines you provided:

-first floor is painted concrete, forest green, worn with time-fixed original attitudes, fertile growth which has been lost with age – I can see this.

-80s-age 8, Dot's current age? – probably somewhere around there, now.

-dead, dried leaves on the floor-withered hopes, desires in current life' lack of security – definitely!

-place has not been upkept-life is in disheveled – I feel like this!

-she {Dot} is lead person in all of magnolia states-related experiences {Dot} central to better quality of life – my question is, do you think it is dot or my association with dot living in Charlotte? Am I way off base? She is living in a place I would like to live, but seem to have issues getting there.

-relish idea/come here to read to hearts content about everything-focusing on positive aspects of inner self/past - ok

-while walking in museum/seems small/quite large-positive inner aspects more abundant than realized – I have moments when I really do recognize this.

-people working at desks-working-working in analyzing issues - yes

-look at key dot gave me/keychain/large black circle/rectangular white area/numbers 724-key to wholeness is innovation/being creative - interesting!

-panic for a moment when look at key-moments of feeling helpless when contemplating key to success – definitely. I have a lot of “what if I never get there?!” and thoughts like “well, if I never get a design job, what if I am never happy with any job/work that I do?” I am often told by my family that my expectations are too high when it comes to work, but the reason I went back to get my degree was because I saw how unhappy they were and so many others are, and I didn’t want to be that way.

-length of time visiting-spending time thinking/not doing – I tend to overthink, so yes. I then tell myself to stop doing that and take action.

-Dot does not know I am visiting-Not realizing associations {Dot} – makes sense

-did not want to leave Charlotte/reassess everything at end of week-staying with what you know/reassessing weaknesses – hmmm…should I be reassessing these low feelings that I have regarding my skills?

_____

You had messages:
After some thought and a good night's sleep {I value my dream time} it came to me that the central theme of your dream was the ?. You have questions about your life and your direction and because you are in search of a job/position in your chosen field questioning yourself and your decisions would be an emotional issue on your mind {dreams are about emotions and specifically emotional conflicts}. And because all dreams address current issues as well as foundational aspects it may be your personality is one where indecision or decision making is in question. Self esteem would lend itself to this type issue. Of course Dot's appearance in the dream would need to fit but because that was from your childhood getting to the reasons may be difficult.

My response: This makes sense to me…I have been pondering your responses while also realizing that I shouldn’t ignore the messages and should make sure to take positive action instead of feeling defeated. It will be 2 years in May since I have graduated with limited to no prospects. I may need to branch out further and/or open my mind to more possibilities. I have positive associations with NC and know the area well (part of the allure, I think). I appreciate all of the time you spent examining this and I hope you don’t mind my responses and hopefully I didn’t overshare *too* much!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 40, F, Buffalo, NY

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes - a few days ago

Jackie,
I'll provide a response Thursday. Have to work with the family fence construction business today {supports my efforts to care for the 16 felines I care for}. I do appreciate the detailed response. It will help in better understanding the dream. I do see you have questions and i will address those in my response.

Jerry

Jackie,
First let me say how much I appreciate your response. It clarifies a lot of what I sensed from your dream and fits well with the interpretation. Few believe that dreams can be properly and competently interpreted but from my experience working with other people's dreams here at the Dream Forum I have no doubt this is true {nearly 5,000 posted dreams as reference}. Your dream like other dreams is depicting your true emotions and it is not always {if seldom} what the conscious mind realizes and/or completely understands. You do seem to have a grip on your feelings which is an important step in realizing what is out of balance in your life. Getting to where you want to be is the next step and that involves abiding by your through self and following through with what you really desire in life, your 'bliss', especially the creative self.

From the Power of Myth

BILL MOYERS: Do you ever have the sense of… being helped by hidden hands?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time – namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.

That being said it is important to decide and know what is your bliss. And follow that path. It may involve risk taking and usually does. If you are not comfortable in where you are living and not finding the opportunities in that place perhaps it does require relocating. Being stuck requires new and innovating thinking. It sounds as if you are stuck which hampers your ability to progress and grow. Your lack of self confidence is partly due to the stagnation you are experiencing and until you find a way to get past that barrier {in dreams such barriers are often depicted by having to get over a high mountain}. Give thought to the possibilities in making changes in your life that will allow you to converse the mountains in your life. Just by thinking about these things will put you back on your path. It is not just a co-incidence good things happen in life. It is a part of the natural progression of the soul and when you follow your bliss you are following your soul. That alone entices the 'helping hands' to lead you out of the darkness. I say this having experienced these 'metaphysical' concepts and at every turn in my life the helping hands are there to guide and protect. It worked for Campbell and has worked for me {as it has for others who have followed Campbell's dictate {among them George Lucas, Jerry Garcia, Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Linda Ronstadt to name a few}.

As to my statement, "I can't provide a definite answer to what that is but the dream seems to be saying you have lost some of those positive qualities over time and need to look to your greater assets." Having limited knowledge about you and your life limits my ability to provide definite experiences that possess emotional energies. I can provide an outline of these energies but not until I know about your personal life is it possible to tie it all together {in personal experiences}. What you have provided in your responses mostly confirms my outline of your dream {this is not a 'look at me, how great bI am'. It is a statement of fact that using Jungian concepts a trained dream analyst can properly analyze and interpret and dream}. Going back to school and getting a degree in Interior Design sounds like an endeavor of following your bliss. Do you still possess the desire to follow through with this? Is it possible that journey to learn could fit with your other desires of painting and creating art. Perhaps a different aspect in Interior Design related to those endeavors could be the answer. Part of the natural aspect that puts you on your path to bliss is the creative aspect. Mine is dreams and designing websites {I am self taught in both}. Explore those possibilities and see where it leads.

You stated, " I am not living where I would like to be living. I do believe that I have had a focus on returning to NC for a long time." If this is what you believe in your heart is what you really want then follow through. It may not be easy and may require time to get things in order but until you take the journey you will never know. No one wants to hire you so you have to find other avenues. Perhaps your freelancing is a right choice, you may need to refine how you are going about it. You probably will need to stay in the position you are in for a time but if you are working outside those requirements you should be able to find answers to your questions {social duty is the first barrier to overcome in the hero's journey}. You will be surprised at how fate/helping hands comes to your rescue merely because you are working toward your bliss. The 'bliss' thing is a part of the natural order and this is why it works. Living life by following what others want is not your bliss, it is the social dragon pulling you down.

Comments on your dream images and your response to my analysis
--80s-age 8, Dot's current age? – probably somewhere around there, now.

The 80s number represents something in your life, numbers always have meaning/applications to your life experiences. It is only a matter of investigation {a Sherlock Holmes} of your whole life and the actual numbers to discover their place.

--she {Dot} is lead person in all of magnolia states-related experiences {Dot} central to better quality of life – my question is, do you think it is dot or my association with dot living in Charlotte? Am I way off base? She is living in a place I would like to live, but seem to have issues getting there.

There are associations with Dot that have an important role in your life. In some ways she is you/you are her and that is why she is in your dream. Deeper exploration of those associations will likely bring about why this is. One could be she is living in a place you like to live being one aspect. But perhaps more important she is a part of your past, when you were living in that place you wish to be in again. Your dream starts off with the statement, "I was in Charlotte" could point to actually being in Charlotte as being in your true place. There are past experiences to do with Dot and living in Charlotte that are important. One may be having lost focus on the creative aspects by leaving the city you grew up in.

--while walking in museum/seems small/quite large-positive inner aspects more abundant than realized – I have moments when I really do recognize this.

I believe this is the dream's intent on getting you to focus on the positive qualities. Although most dreams are negative in their presentation {they are trying to help you resolve emotional conflicts} they also will point to positives as well. Finding your true self, your true self and your path to bliss could open up the positives and let them expand. The dream title 'Museum' translates into 'the history of your emotional life'. The true self wishes to find ways to be creative and when you find those creative aspects you become a flower that blossoms.

--look at key dot gave me/keychain/large black circle/rectangular white area/numbers 724-key to wholeness is innovation/being creative - interesting!

This number is interesting because it has both the numbers 9 and 6. 7+2=9 and 2+4=6. In my studies of Jungian psyche and Campbell mythology I have come ti the conclusion these numbers are instrumental in all of nature, especially the number 9. They are opposites in form, 6 and 9. But when inverted they become their opposite and in dreams and life represent the opposites in nature and the natural order. 9 is the number of the universe, the feminine power {which is greater than the masculine}, the creative, spiritual aspects. 9 represents the metaphysical properties {creativity and spirituality} where as 6 represents the physical aspects, the desires of the body. In most people's lives it is the desires of the body that rule when it should be the metaphysical. Following your bliss is a metaphysical endeavor. To get there requires a death to the ego body and its desires and a resurrection/new birth to the metaphysical {this is represented by Jesus on the cross, his resurrection to a higher level/heaven}. Mythology {all religions are myths/exaggerated truths} is the universal whereas dreams are the personal aspects. Myths and dreams share the same images.

--did not want to leave Charlotte/reassess everything at end of week-staying with what you know/reassessing weaknesses – hmmm…should I be reassessing these low feelings that I have regarding my skills?

This does seem to be a primary focus in the dream. Where or not returning to Charlotte is the answer needs to be finalized. It could be it is not or the time is not right. I moved to Florida when I retired in 2012 fulfilling my dream of living in the sunshine state {not just because of the warm climate but the general positive attitude that goes with it}. But in 1994 after I first discovered my path to bliss I moved to Florida and stayed 5 months before returning home when My first grandchild was born {I was 44 at the time}. My move was in the right direction but the timing was not right. I was still in my infancy in learning my true bliss but the journey in 1994 showed me there were helping hands at every turn {I found a good place to live, a good job and a spiritual place all within a week of my arrival}.
Moving back to Charlotte may be your calling. A first step in testing the 'bliss' factor.

As to the questions???. That also seems to be a central theme of the dream. You may be at a point of major decisions in your life. I was 42 when I discovered my true calling. You are 40. It is not coincidental these things happen at this age. The stages of life are real and entering into the midlife stage is a major event, including and especially psychologically. It is a time when we begin to look back and reflect instead of looking forward as in early adulthood. The goal is to ';think' about such things and my goal in analyzing dreams is to get the dreamer to 'give thought'to the inner processes so you will get to know who you really are and what you really want from life. Finding meaning in life is what drives us when it comes to finding balance and happiness. If the focus is totally outward {as is with most people} the the true self will never reveal itself. Some people are naturally inclined toward the creative aspects but that does not mean true happiness {look at all the celebrities with great creative skills who have killed themself}. Reconciling the whole life is necessary and although your dream is addressing your desire in the moment it is also addressing the underlying foundations to who you are and why you are that person, your personality and personal attitudes. That goes back to your childhood and the experiences with Dot and your mother and the experiences that laid the foundations for your personal traits and attitudes. We have not address those to a great extent but they are there.Those aspects must be reconciled if there is to be true balance and harmony in life.

Jerry

Repost of earlier dream

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 68 Cocoa, Fl

stats from 7-14-10 to the present