Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prevented from getting on an airplane

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think you're right about the dream pointing to limitations for greater things due to entrenched personal attitudes. I think I have some idea about what the dream is specifically addressing, but I'm not sure. In any case, my life isn't going the way I'd like it to at present. I have a strong desire to be an artist (equivalent maybe to the dream image of being at the airport trying to board a plane), but unfortunately every time I try to take steps in that direction I encounter tremendous resistance that I am unable to overcome and just wind up slipping back into my old routines. So then putting on some average joe's shirt (persona) could be a reference to that resistance, to the emotional energies (as you put it) that are holding me back. But I don't really know what those emotional energies might be. Fear of failure or success, I suppose, could be two options. More generally, I am a very inhibited and fearful person, who presents an appearance of being unemotional and cold (even though I don't feel myself to be this way at heart). Perhaps my persona needs to change in order for me to move forward in life? Or perhaps the persona needs to be cast off altogether and I need to be my true self before I can board the plane?

I've had two interesting dream segments since then that seem to deal with similar themes. In one, I'm a bus or shuttle and being driven by a cold, unemotional robot who looks like a human being (the robot representing my persona, I would guess). In the other dream, I'm being attacked by snakes and climb up a tree to try to escape them. But it only works so well, because the snakes come up the tree after me. After a while, the snakes stop chasing me and stay where they are about halfway up the tree and I am stuck in a precarious balancing act near the top of this tree. If snakes represent rebirth and rejuvenation, then I am resisting these things.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful. I'm happy to write more if any additional information will help with the dream interpretation.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36 M

wagnerian
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re right about the dream pointing to limitations for greater things due to entrenched personal attitudes. I think I have some idea about what the dream is specifically addressing, but I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m not sure. In any case, my life isn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t going the way I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d like it to at present. I have a strong desire to be an artist (equivalent maybe to the dream image of being at the airport trying to board a plane), but unfortunately every time I try to take steps in that direction I encounter tremendous resistance that I am unable to overcome and just wind up slipping back into my old routines. So then putting on some average joe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s shirt (persona) could be a reference to that resistance, to the emotional energies (as you put it) that are holding me back. But I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t really know what those emotional energies might be. Fear of failure or success, I suppose, could be two options. More generally, I am a very inhibited and fearful person, who presents an appearance of being unemotional and cold (even though I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t feel myself to be this way at heart). Perhaps my persona needs to change in order for me to move forward in life? Or perhaps the persona needs to be cast off altogether and I need to be my true self before I can board the plane?

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve had two interesting dream segments since then that seem to deal with similar themes. In one, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m a bus or shuttle and being driven by a cold, unemotional robot who looks like a human being (the robot representing my persona, I would guess). In the other dream, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m being attacked by snakes and climb up a tree to try to escape them. But it only works so well, because the snakes come up the tree after me. After a while, the snakes stop chasing me and stay where they are about halfway up the tree and I am stuck in a precarious balancing act near the top of this tree. If snakes represent rebirth and rejuvenation, then I am resisting these things.

Sorry if this isn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t very helpful. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m happy to write more if any additional information will help with the dream interpretation.
wagnerian,
You are very adapt in associating my interpretation of the images and actions to your actual waking life. Not everyone is capable of doing that and my reason for letting you put the pieces together is I can only read the outlines of the emotional energies whereas you know the actual experiences. What I attempt to do with most dreams is provide the outline with a summary. But this dream seemed to have a clear cut message {as outlined in my interpretation of the images and actions} that I believed you would recognize. Fortunately you were able to do so and from your response did a tremendous job of it to the point I believe we have hit upon the dream message.

What now is needed is to determine why you have this resistance to overcome inhibitions that prevent you from being an artist {which in Jung's determination is the correct path to wholeness, being your true self and looking to the creative aspect to do so}. In my experience all dreams have at least two meanings/applications. We know the dream is addressing the inhibitions to moving forward to be that creative self but why is that true. Taking a second look at the dream and my analysis it is 'established' emotional energies coming to play as a barrier to being an artist. My philosophy to dream analysis, which is not completely inline with normal Jungian concepts, is that dreams address current emotional energies {not being able to move forward} as well as the underlying reasons/issues to your limitations. The important word is limitations. What are there these limitations and where did they come from? What is 'preventing you from getting on an airplane'? And why?

I see a short answer {it is a short dream, at least what you remember of it} in the descriptive language of 'like a dress shirt but with short sleeves - white with a light blue striped design'. My interpretation of this part of the dream was 'established attitudes limiting abilities requiring a bold change of attitude'. ESTABLISHED attitudes. Established attitudes that come from earlier life experiences/influences {I'll say more about this later}.
'On account of the shirt', the emotional energies, and with the 'short sleeves' representing a need for you to be aggressive in overcoming the limitations*. The shirt being white would represent, in this context, new beginnings/ experiencing a reawakening or have a fresh outlook on life. White also refers to a clean, blank slate {see the color white in Dream Dictionary/White.

Then there is the blue pin striped design. Blue represents truth, wisdom, heaven, eternity, devotion, tranquility, loyalty and openness. Perhaps you are expressing a desire to get away. The presence of this color in your dream may symbolize your spiritual guide and your optimism of the future. You have clarity of mind {Dream Dictionary/Blue. Truth, loyalty to your true self which in Jungian concepts is a spiritual endeavor, clarity of mind instead of allowing emotional energies to control. The pin stripes would represent the dream is making a 'a bold and daring statement'. Dreams point to the inherent need to be your true self and when it comes to being an artist you are becoming that creative self which Jung says is most important in being whole and having a happy and productive life.

*Note: a short sleeve shirt/emotions instead of a long sleeve shirt, points to lacking strong emotional energies, leaning to 'short' of being complete/whole. A need to be aggressive in becoming complete/whole, your true self the artist

The colors and design of the shirt are what the limitations are. Why you lack these aspects is because the established attitudes. You are living and being controlled by emotional energies {I put shirt on continue walking}. 'I reach checkpoint guard won't let me go past it' is not being objective, rational, because you are protected by emotional energies/limitations. It is standard psychology that we repress or are not aware of such energies. Why this is so comes from early life learning, childhood foundations where attitudes and personality traits are formed. Or in some cases {along with childhood} later life traumatic experiences or strong impressional experiences. This aspect of childhood experiences is more inline with Freudian psyche more so than Jungian. But it is something constant I see in dreams and logically it fits with how human progression comes about. What issues, experiences in your childhood could have/would have caused you to have the personality and attitudes you possess? Understanding these aspects will allow you to understand the unconscious energies that 'drive' you, or in many instances control you. Parts of the dream you do not remember may have addressed these or it it may be later dreams will do so. In my mind dreams always get to this aspect of what lies within the unconscious. And as with my ability to only provide an outline of the emotional energies and you filling in the blanks, the same holds with what the personal experiences are that cause your limitations that come from earlier life. This may be within the additional dream segments you provided. I'll take those and interpret the images and actions and see what they have to say {either later today or tomorrow}.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 69 Altoona, Fl

Gerald M Gifford
wagnerian
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re right about the dream pointing to limitations for greater things due to entrenched personal attitudes. I think I have some idea about what the dream is specifically addressing, but I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m not sure. In any case, my life isn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t going the way I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d like it to at present. I have a strong desire to be an artist (equivalent maybe to the dream image of being at the airport trying to board a plane), but unfortunately every time I try to take steps in that direction I encounter tremendous resistance that I am unable to overcome and just wind up slipping back into my old routines. So then putting on some average joe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s shirt (persona) could be a reference to that resistance, to the emotional energies (as you put it) that are holding me back. But I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t really know what those emotional energies might be. Fear of failure or success, I suppose, could be two options. More generally, I am a very inhibited and fearful person, who presents an appearance of being unemotional and cold (even though I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t feel myself to be this way at heart). Perhaps my persona needs to change in order for me to move forward in life? Or perhaps the persona needs to be cast off altogether and I need to be my true self before I can board the plane?

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve had two interesting dream segments since then that seem to deal with similar themes. In one, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m a bus or shuttle and being driven by a cold, unemotional robot who looks like a human being (the robot representing my persona, I would guess). In the other dream, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m being attacked by snakes and climb up a tree to try to escape them. But it only works so well, because the snakes come up the tree after me. After a while, the snakes stop chasing me and stay where they are about halfway up the tree and I am stuck in a precarious balancing act near the top of this tree. If snakes represent rebirth and rejuvenation, then I am resisting these things.

Sorry if this isn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t very helpful. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m happy to write more if any additional information will help with the dream interpretation.
wagnerian,
You are very adapt in associating my interpretation of the images and actions to your actual waking life. Not everyone is capable of doing that and my reason for letting you put the pieces together is I can only read the outlines of the emotional energies whereas you know the actual experiences. What I attempt to do with most dreams is provide the outline with a summary. But this dream seemed to have a clear cut message {as outlined in my interpretation of the images and actions} that I believed you would recognize. Fortunately you were able to do so and from your response did a tremendous job of it to the point I believe we have hit upon the dream message.

What now is needed is to determine why you have this resistance to overcome inhibitions that prevent you from being an artist {which in Jung's determination is the correct path to wholeness, being your true self and looking to the creative aspect to do so}. In my experience all dreams have at least two meanings/applications. We know the dream is addressing the inhibitions to moving forward to be that creative self but why is that true. Taking a second look at the dream and my analysis it is 'established' emotional energies coming to play as a barrier to being an artist. My philosophy to dream analysis, which is not completely inline with normal Jungian concepts, is that dreams address current emotional energies {not being able to move forward} as well as the underlying reasons/issues to your limitations. The important word is limitations. What are there these limitations and where did they come from? What is 'preventing you from getting on an airplane'? And why?

I see a short answer {it is a short dream, at least what you remember of it} in the descriptive language of 'like a dress shirt but with short sleeves - white with a light blue striped design'. My interpretation of this part of the dream was 'established attitudes limiting abilities requiring a bold change of attitude'. ESTABLISHED attitudes. Established attitudes that come from earlier life experiences/influences {I'll say more about this later}.
'On account of the shirt', the emotional energies, and with the 'short sleeves' representing a need for you to be aggressive in overcoming the limitations*. The shirt being white would represent, in this context, new beginnings/ experiencing a reawakening or have a fresh outlook on life. White also refers to a clean, blank slate {see the color white in Dream Dictionary/White.

Then there is the blue pin striped design. Blue represents truth, wisdom, heaven, eternity, devotion, tranquility, loyalty and openness. Perhaps you are expressing a desire to get away. The presence of this color in your dream may symbolize your spiritual guide and your optimism of the future. You have clarity of mind {Dream Dictionary/Blue. Truth, loyalty to your true self which in Jungian concepts is a spiritual endeavor, clarity of mind instead of allowing emotional energies to control. The pin stripes would represent the dream is making a 'a bold and daring statement'. Dreams point to the inherent need to be your true self and when it comes to being an artist you are becoming that creative self which Jung says is most important in being whole and having a happy and productive life.

*Note: a short sleeve shirt/emotions instead of a long sleeve shirt, points to lacking strong emotional energies, leaning to 'short' of being complete/whole. A need to be aggressive in becoming complete/whole, your true self the artist

The colors and design of the shirt are what the limitations are. Why you lack these aspects is because the established attitudes. You are living and being controlled by emotional energies {I put shirt on continue walking}. 'I reach checkpoint guard won't let me go past it' is not being objective, rational, because you are protected by emotional energies/limitations. It is standard psychology that we repress or are not aware of such energies. Why this is so comes from early life learning, childhood foundations where attitudes and personality traits are formed. Or in some cases {along with childhood} later life traumatic experiences or strong impressional experiences. This aspect of childhood experiences is more inline with Freudian psyche more so than Jungian. But it is something constant I see in dreams and logically it fits with how human progression comes about. What issues, experiences in your childhood could have/would have caused you to have the personality and attitudes you possess? Understanding these aspects will allow you to understand the unconscious energies that 'drive' you, or in many instances control you. Parts of the dream you do not remember may have addressed these or it it may be later dreams will do so. In my mind dreams always get to this aspect of what lies within the unconscious. And as with my ability to only provide an outline of the emotional energies and you filling in the blanks, the same holds with what the personal experiences are that cause your limitations that come from earlier life. This may be within the additional dream segments you provided. I'll take those and interpret the images and actions and see what they have to say {either later today or tomorrow}.

Jerry
Jerry,
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. One thing that bothers me about the dream is that I willingly put on the other person’s shirt rather than already have it on from the beginning of the dream. It makes me wonder why the dream me would do this. I think of the shirt as being one that an average twenty- or thirtysomething guy might wear about town or to go to a bar or a party. So to me, putting on the shirt represents adopting the attitudes and personality of one of these guys, whom I am not at all like. I think that I have a fear of expressing who I really am because my personality is pretty different from the norm. I am very quiet, solitary, anti-social, bookish, spiritual, a freethinker, a homebody, a complete misfit. I’ve been diagnosed as having a personality disorder and currently rely on disability income for a living. Perhaps I have an unconscious need to fit into society far more than I do now in practice and that is blocking me from being and expressing my true self. I don’t know, it’s possible. Or maybe there are other established emotional energies that are standing in the way of my self-actualization.

I don’t remember my childhood very well, but I do remember a couple of incidents that might shed light on this and the other dreams. I don’t remember how old I was but an early experience I had was of working on a school assignment but of writing it in an unusual handwriting style in order to be creative. I was proud of it and showed it to my dad, but it made him furious and he told me to redo it and to write in my usual handwriting. That was very upsetting for me. Another incident/mini-trauma that stunted my creative energies early on was when I decided to film an episode of a comedy show I would star in in my bedroom. Stupidly, I wrote the name of the program on the closet door (which was to be the background) in marker and proceeded to do the filming. When my dad found out what I had done to the closet doors, he was angry again and made me wash off the markings. I don’t remember being praised for my creativity. One final incident. There was a conversation about what I wanted to do for a living when I grew up. I remarked that I wanted to teach people how to live (which surely is at least part of what some artists do). My dad just sneered and told me to get real.

I think this is why I’ve constructed, over the years, the indifferent, unemotional persona that I currently seem to be stuck with – because I couldn’t be myself when I was younger. What this has to do with my associations to the shirt is unclear, unless the dream is saying that my indifferent, unemotional exterior is just like the personality of that of (or of my idea of, since I don’t get out much or interact with many people) today’s average young male.

wagnerian,
Let me address your questions about the shirt and more importantly the experiences with your dad. Then in a separate post I will analyze the dream segments you listed in your previous post.

Concerning the shirt. The shirt represents you and your emotional situation, in the present and accumulative. Your dreams are about you and your emotional energies. The other guy is the 'other you', both in the context of your creative self as well as the foundational aspects {early life/childhood} where your attitudes and personality are primarily formed. Willingly putting on the other person’s shirt rather than already having it on is a desire/need to be your true self and not the life you are living, the creative person you truly are {I'll expand my comments on this later since I see it is a very important part of the dream and who you are}. And although the shirt represents this creative self it also represents who you are now, 'the shirt as being one that an average twenty- or thirty something guy might wear' and 'the attitudes and personality of one of these guys, whom 'YOU' are not at all like. These are attitudes and personality traits you do not like, in the context of the life you are living {30 something}. An image, as a symbolic representation of your emotional energies, in a dream will often have {as I have stated about dreams as well} two applications. The person you are and the person you want/need to be. There may be more applications and/or better descriptions of the image {which would require a more in-depth knowledge of your personal life to get to} but the image is of you in both aspects. One where you are in the present and one where you wish/need to be.

Then there are the issues with childhood. Lacking more info about the relationship with your father henders objective insights to how that affected your growth but what you provided does give clues. On the surface the language about your father indicates anger issues. Those may be related to particular aspects of the relationship or it could be his personality as a whole. Either way the two experiences you described were 'memorable' and it is those type experiences that affect who you are, and become later in life. Memories of benign experiences are seldom the subject of dreams since they do not possess strong emotional energies. It does not require a 'traumatic' experience to be memorable but rather experiences that are counter to your true self. And from your added info I get the impression you were born to be an artist and realized it early in life {I personally did not come to know my true self until I was 42}. Your father's attitude toward the handwriting and the closet door were counter to your proper development as an artist, and your true self. You were proud of the handwriting {from the dream dictionary, 'to see or dream about your handwriting represents your self-expression and creativity'} and it is inherent in a boy's psyche to receive approval from the father {a common motif in mythology, myth sharing common symbols as does dreams}. The father-son relationship is predicated on archetypal energies, something we are born with {both males and females with the same holding true with the archetypal mother}, and require for proper mental health. Few things can be more damaging to a boy than to feel rejected by the father. Rejection is why you remember the experiences and why they are stored within your unconscious. And such experiences can influence if not controlling {albeit unconscious} in later life. It would not surprise me that your personality disorder has associations to the father-son relationship. The way you describe yourself is that of an introvert may or may not be your true personality. Either way personality takes on weight from early life experiences and affect who you become later in life. Remember your statement, "I don’t remember being praised for my creativity". That is definitive of who you have become as an adult, a desire/need for praise both as a need from your father as well as being conducive to development of your creative self {which Jung states is a quality that leads to true wholeness and happiness in life}.

Note: As a child I had introverted tendencies due to my lack of a proper father-son relationship but in truth I am an extrovert which I was able to claim later in life in my 20s. I am still that extrovert but being retired and in the latter stages of life I live more of an introverted life, voluntarily.

Again you are astute in recognizing the dream message as it affects who you are in the present {your statement "I think this is why I’ve constructed, over the years, the indifferent, unemotional persona that I currently seem to be stuck with – because I couldn’t be myself when I was younger"}. This doesn't surprise me because I do see you as an 'intuitive' creative person {I am an intuitive Jungian and not someone with a scholarly background*}. You likely would do well with Jungian psyche.

* As an intuitive Jungian I 'naturally' understand his concepts without the need for years and years of study. This shouldn't be surprising since we all possess intuitive abilities. All that is needed is discovering your true natural abilities creative wise. Yours is an artist. I also have an 'intuitive' quality in building websites using pure HTML and not any software {HMTL is the original language of the internet}. I see this associated with symbols since the codes in designing websites is a language of its own and when see on a page appears different than the actual code}.

As for the desire of wanting to teach people. My spiritual mentor Joseph Campbell, who introduced me to Jungian psyche with his Power of Myth documentary, stated that it is the responsibility of the 'hero' to teach what he/she has learned from experiences. The hero defined is the true self, we are all heros when we live an authentic life, our true self. Again, as a natural artist you in early life tapped into the archetypal energies. You knew what you needed to be your true self, through creativity. That was derailed early on, no doubt in some or many ways related to the father-son interactions. You can change that by understanding those interactions and how they have affected who you are. Dreams are one path in this self discovery.

One last thing. You spoke of being a spiritual person. Not surprising since in Jungian concepts spirituality is an inherent/archetypal aspect of the human psyche {as is the shadow and anima/animus, and creativity}. Creativity is an aspect of that spiritual because in being creative you are sharing what comes from the soul. Religion deals in emotions prescribed and stimulated by man. Spirituality is a natural aspect, nature's laws which govern the evolution of the human condition both physical and psychological. Live by the laws of nature and you live a life you were destined to be and not determined by society. Cause and effect determine much of what is in and from life. Your true cause is as an artist. The effect of early life has taken you off your true path and the need is to return to that hero' journey.

I'll work on the dream segments you provided and should have that later today.

Jerry

wagnerian,
In my interpretation of the images and actions I did not provide an interpretation for the title, 'Prevented from getting on an airplane'. Now that we have gotten to the message of the dream we can clearly explain to its meaning. You have been prevented from soaring to greater heights {airplane}, achieving your true artistic self. You have also been prevented from living a normal life in general due to early life experiences. I often look at the title to get a good insight to the dream message since the title often provides this. I wanted to mention this as part of our conversation since I use the dream forum as a teaching tool as well as providing interpretations/analysis of dreams.

Jerry

In one, I'm a bus or shuttle and being driven by a cold, unemotional robot who looks like a human being (the robot representing my persona, I would guess). In the other dream, I'm being attacked by snakes and climb up a tree to try to escape them. But it only works so well, because the snakes come up the tree after me. After a while, the snakes stop chasing me and stay where they are about halfway up the tree and I am stuck in a precarious balancing act near the top of this tree. If snakes represent rebirth and rejuvenation, then I am resisting these things.

-bus-the many aspects of your total self
-driven by a cold, unemotional robot who looks human-going about life in a mechanical, methodical and rigid way/having lost the ability to express your true feelings/self

-I'm being attacked by snakes-hidden fears/emotional energies related to the need to a transformation to true self
-climb up a tree to escape them-escaping emotional energies that prevent achievement of your career goals and attainment of higher {climb up} positions in life {tree represents power of personal growth}
-after awhile snakes stop chasing me-hidden fears and worries that are threatening you. Your dream may be alerting you to something in your waking life that you are not aware of or that has not yet surfaced
-stay halfway up tree-not having reached/able to reach your full potential
-stuck in a precarious balancing act-equating your social self with true self
-near top of this tree-mental energies related to these issues

Asw for the question of rebirth and rejuvenation. Unconsciously as much as consciously you may be resisting these emotional energies of being an artist. The unconscious energies related to childhood are preventing you {unconsciously} from reaching your full potential. Plus the external world of social duty/obligations prevents you from being your true self. Once you get settled into the world of social duty {work, family, social environment} it is difficult to break away and be the artist you were meant to be.

These dream fragments seem to support the original dream. When you have these type of dreams it is often during a time of changes in your life. You may becoming aware of the need to make the desired changes due to the fact you are approaching the mid-life stage and during these years such issues begin to surface.

Jerry

Thanks again for your help, Jerry. Here's one more dream fragment which I somehow think also bears on these issues:

I'm in a clearing in a park alone throwing around a frisbee. Every time I throw it it boomerangs right back to me and I catch it. I do this for a while. At first the frisbee doesn't wobble but soon enough it does start wobbling a lot and it becomes difficult to catch on its way back to me. That's all I remember.

Maybe it means that I am not making or can't make any real progress with my issues? Every time I think I'm getting somewhere I wind up back where I started from.

wagnerian,
Let me state here that personal experiences I am not aware of come into play to the dreams meaning. The images would be addressing current and recent life issues {a recent experience} as well as the deeper issues to do with foundations from childhood and beyond. I can read only the outline of the emotional energies and not the personal. And having discovered the meaning of the original dream and knowing how it fits within your life this last fragment I have that to go with and will use it in addressing what the fragment would mean in that context.

The important image to understand is the frisbee. What does that mean? It can mean give and take and in the context from the dream it could represent living your life giving and taking what life throws at you without the ability to control those things. A frisbee is round and in Jungian psyche anything round represent the desire/need for wholeness. It also could represent going around in circles. I believe it has to do with your need to be your true self {where wholeness would be fulfilled} and having to give and take in life which causes a lack of focus {going around in circles} due to not achieving your desire to be an artist {your true self}. Again more personal info would help in putting this together for verification but knowing what I do know I can see this application as a good fit.

The boomerang is a reason for this lack of focus, what goes around comes around. What that says is what you experienced in childhood has returned in later life {it actually has always remained there albeit unconsciously} to influence/control your conscious life {via unconscious energies}. That points to your father's anger at the events you described in previous posts, anger at being your true self. To catch the boomerang is to incorporate something into your life. You have incorporated the early life experiences but also need/wish to incorporate your true self {as an artist}. The concept that ALL DREAMS if not all images/actions have at least two meanings/applications applies.

The wobble represents not being in balance. As you have lived life having to give and take {not in control of your destiny} you have adjusted to that. But as life goes on you begin to question this {the stages of life are real and have different effects in life} and life seems less than you wish/want. It is in these later years what you accepted early on in adulthood begins not to be fulfilling {you are approaching mid-life when these things begin to come up}. It is both difficult to live life with what you have experienced/incorporated from early life {catch on its way back} as well as being your true self as an artist. I would look at the laws of cause and effect concept {by which I live life along with Karma} to understand how the emotional energies affect life. What you learn early on comes back to influence/control you in later life. This all fits with Jungian concepts since they are a part of the laws of nature {psychology is a science and the laws of science are the laws of nature}.

Now that we have identified some of the primary emotional issues and energies in your life the next step is to do something about it. Only you can do that. One step would be to identify exactly what in early life has caused you to be the person you are. Look to father/son relationship as part of that. By understanding the issues you will know the energies that drive you and begin to right the wrongs {lacking an ability to self psyche therapy may be required in this aspect}. A second important step is to work toward being that artist you have always desired to be. That isn't easy since it often requires free time to think and work towards that while having to work and make a living. Small steps may be the best path {unless you are financially secure}. Achieving to be the artist will help even as you work on the childhood issues {which may emotionally be most difficult aspect}. It isn't an overnight thing but usually takes years to achieve.

Jerry [mediate]

stats from 7-14-10 to the present