Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Excavation Work

Kristi,
If you will type your name in the search box you should find your past posted dreams. If you are able to do so let me know the dreams and I'll review them to see what associations there may be in this dream.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 69 Altoona, Fl

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the time you have already spent looking at this dream with me!

I am going to make some comments, replying in the same order of your statements/prompts/thinking on this dream.

Current Experiences: Yes, I continue to be engaged in exploring my self/Self. In the past, I had a tendency to put/project the "gold," if your will, on others, spiritual teachers/figures. I do not do that any longer. I was not aware of a feeling tone of anxiety in the dream.

Foundations: Yes, early life experiences did leave me without belief in my own value and worth which has certainly impacted many areas of my life.

Excavation work: I do believe this is a new discovery about myself that carries with it the potential for deeper realization.

The setting is dark/night time: Many of my dreams occur in a darkened setting, that does not mean I am without the ability to see in the dream (which is good), nor do I think it automatically applies something negative. I rather see this one as showing me the work that is occurring in my personal unconscious - some pretty significant work in this case, with some mighty helpers (experienced professor of archeology with powerful resources [big truck with drill]).

Working as a member of a crew performing excavation operations: I do think this is about discovering new possibilities in life. I find it a positive thing that my dream maker shows me I have the resources to do so. The experienced professor of archeology may well be a positive animus/wise old man figure. He also commands powerful skills (as a professor) and resources - big trucks and drilling equipment. As a member of the crew, I feel very much at home and at peace with what is happening in the dream. I see the team as helpful to me!

The unearthing work occurs under/around my home: As I said in my response yesterday, I see the "home" (which in the dream is my current life home) to be all about me/"my being." I think it is reflective of the very deep work I have already done, but also presenting something new for me to consider with the aid of some might workers.
I think that the foundation of all of humanity, in the core of our being, is Love. Yes, my early life experience did not provide me the love and nurture so needed in every life, but even throughout those years, I "knew" I was meant for Love. I had a very strong spirit and guiding influence that carried me through troubling times.

We make a major find: Yes, an important discovery. And once that first statue is found, the work intensifies to uncover more.

An ancient statue 2-1/2 to 3 feet tall: Are you suggesting that the short stature has implied a limiting impact on my growth? If it was 20 - 30 feet tall, we might say I was experiencing inflation of some sort. And remember the words of Christ who said that with faith the size of a mustard seed, we can move mountains! Humble origins (which is what I certainly had in life) are good. But, yes, as in any life, we most experience influences that do limit us. So, in this regard, your statement is a static truth.

It has been carried up by a grey-haired man who I understand to be a professor of Archeology: Yes, I have (as we most all have) experiences with the negative masculine. In this case, however, the professor does not represent the negative masculine or my experiences with the negative masculine. He is clearly a helpful animus figure.

I am not certain what the statue is made of: Ambiguous? Maybe. Enigmatic? Possibly. Valuable? Very likely.

The operation then becomes larger with more trucks and equipment arriving, as the crew goes deeper and deeper: I think this is showing me that there is more to discover, and, lo, more statues did come up. My task is to discover the nature of these very personal statues and what they stand for.

There are trucks containing enormous drills: I did not experience any anxiety in the area in regard to these trucks/drills. Quite the contrary, I saw them as powerfully helpful to this unearthing operation.

The work spreads to the earth beneath the neighboring homes, to the left of mine and across the street: I rather thought of the ripple effect my own healing work. As I have grown deeper in understanding of my self, I also understand others better, especially the hearts of those who have been close to me in life (siblings, parents), as well as all others.

The roadway becomes impassable: My past has certainly impeded the forward progressions I have desired in life. The biggest cause of this has been a feeling of unworthiness born of my childhood struggles. Though I do not feel particularly over loaded at this point, there were time when that was very true. Nonetheless, the way forward, out of my home/being (in the dream) is impassable while this work is going on. I must definitely find the clear way forward.

More artifacts are brought up: Good that this happened, demonstrating that will due diligence and work, more raw material can be unearthed.

Three in total: Jung's quarternity is not the only model of wholeness. Ellie at Crystal Links (as an example) posts this as regarding the number 3:

The third dimension - we do things in threes so they will manifest in our physical realm.

It's roots stem from the meaning of multiplicity. Creative power; growth. Three is a moving forward of energy, overcoming duality, expression, manifestation and synthesis. Three is the first number to which the meaning "all" was given. It is The Triad, being the number of the whole as it contains the beginning, a middle and an end.

The power of three is universal and is the tripartide nature of the world as heaven, earth, and waters. It is human as body, soul and spirit. Notice the distinction that soul and spirit are not the same. They are not. Three is birth, life, death. It is the beginning, middle and end. Three is a complete cycle unto itself. It is past, present, future.

The symbol of three is the triangle. Three interwoven circles or triangles can represent the indissoluble unity of the three persons of the trinity. Others symbols using three are: trident, fleur-de-lis, trefoil, trisula, thunderbolt, and trigrams.

The astral or emotional body stays connected to the physically body for three days after death. There is scientific evidence that the brain, even when all other systems are failing takes three days to register complete shutdown.

There are 3 phases to the moon. Lunar animals are often depcited as 3 legged.

Three is the heavenly number, representing soul, as four represents body. Together the two equal seven (3+4=7 ) and form the sacred hebdomad. The 3x4=12 representing the signs of the Zodiac and months of the year.

Pythagorean three means completion.

There are three wishes, genies have three wishes, three leprecons, three prince or princesses, three witches, three weird sisters among others.

The artifacts seem foreign to me in that I do not recognize them as being indigenous to my home country: I rather see them as unknowns at this point. And I have the sense that I can ascribe very personal, very valuable meaning to them.

Then, it is as if I am transported back in time and see the landscape as it was many, many years ago, untouched by modern civilization: When, in the dream, my dreaming self is questioning the nature/origin of the archaic statues, the dream responds by giving me some reference to their origin: Mother Nature untouched by civilization, pure, beautiful, loving, embracing, unadulterated...

I see an expanse of lush vegetation over a somewhat craggy appearing earth surface: Gaia is the ancestral mother of all ofLife!

On a final note, I also see the excavation work as a clearing out of the old underpinnings to make room for the new...

I have typed this out rather quickly this morning.

Thank you, in advance, for any more time you may spend in looking at this dream with me.

Peace,

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 53, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes, 12/21/2019

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Web Search

Kristi,
I’ll address each of the paragraphs.
Current Experiences: Yes, I continue to be engaged in exploring my self/Self. In the past, I had a tendency to put/project the "gold," if your will, on others, spiritual teachers/figures. I do not do that any longer. I was not aware of a feeling tone of anxiety in the dream.
--It is good to get away from teachers. An early lesson in my search from Joseph Campbell was not to have a guru since they can only lead you as far as they have gotten. It is good to have teachers but taking your own path is the way to discover your true self.

Foundations: Yes, early life experiences did leave me without belief in my own value and worth which has certainly impacted many areas of my life.
--And there are distinct experiences in early life for this. Uncovering/excavating what is beneath the surface will reveal what they are. You learn what they are and why they have had such impact on later life. We are all basically who we are because of childhood ‘learning’ both conscious and unconscious.

Excavation work: I do believe this is a new discovery about myself that carries with it the potential for deeper realization.
--The dream title often sets the tone for what the dream message is. It is an unconscious thing and as in your case as with most fits very well. Exploring what is hidden in the ground beneath all the accumulated debris, both literally as well as metaphorically, requires excavation. What is hidden MUST BE BROUGHT TO LIGHT in order to resolve the emotional energies.

The setting is dark/night time: Many of my dreams occur in a darkened setting, that does not mean I am without the ability to see in the dream (which is good), nor do I think it automatically applies something negative. I rather see this one as showing me the work that is occurring in my personal unconscious - some pretty significant work in this case, with some mighty helpers (experienced professor of archeology with powerful resources [big truck with drill]).
--I believe your foundations are the ‘dark setting’ in your dreams {as one application}. Another would be a metaphor for searching the deep, dark unconscious which is what one does when doing self exploration. Thus there is a positive as well as negative application to the term dark.

Working as a member of a crew performing excavation operations: I do think this is about discovering new possibilities in life. I find it a positive thing that my dream maker shows me I have the resources to do so. The experienced professor of archeology may well be a positive animus/wise old man figure. He also commands powerful skills (as a professor) and resources - big trucks and drilling equipment. As a member of the crew, I feel very much at home and at peace with what is happening in the dream. I see the team as helpful to me!
--The crew member is you as are most all unknown/unnamed persons in a dream {a norm in dreams}. The dream is stating what you are doing consciously and unconsciously {the unseen work of our dreams}. And the application of a wise animus could very well apply. The team is metaphorical but it could point to literal people as well. A teacher or trusted person as an example. The more you put into your conscious excavation the larger the operation. But also an unconscious operation to heal what needs healing. Again, at least two applications to every symbol/image/action.

The unearthing work occurs under/around my home: As I said in my response yesterday, I see the "home" (which in the dream is my current life home) to be all about me/"my being." I think it is reflective of the very deep work I have already done, but also presenting something new for me to consider with the aid of some might workers.
I think that the foundation of all of humanity, in the core of our being, is Love. Yes, my early life experience did not provide me the love and nurture so needed in every life, but even throughout those years, I "knew" I was meant for Love. I had a very strong spirit and guiding influence that carried me through troubling times.
--The unearthing is under/around your home. The home is both you and very likely your early life/childhood. As a professor you are teaching yourself what is and needs to be uncovered/excavated.

We make a major find: Yes, an important discovery. And once that first statue is found, the work intensifies to uncover more.
--I see this is a statement of fact and would/should be recognized in your conscious life. ‘It is an ancient statue about 2 and ½ to 3 feet tall’ tells me it is from your past experiences in life {ancient}, your foundations {what is ancient is what everything else grows from, your origins}. Once you make a major discovery, as an ‘archaeologist’ your interests ‘naturally’ intensifies.

An ancient statue 2-1/2 to 3 feet tall: Are you suggesting that the short stature has implied a limiting impact on my growth? If it was 20 - 30 feet tall, we might say I was experiencing inflation of some sort. And remember the words of Christ who said that with faith the size of a mustard seed, we can move mountains! Humble origins (which is what I certainly had in life) are good. But, yes, as in any life, we most experience influences that do limit us. So, in this regard, your statement is a static truth.
--I see the numbers 2-½ and 3 as metaphors for possible age factors {which you would not remember since memories normally are not available until age 4 or 5}. But also as statements of being incomplete. Jung saw the number 3 as not quite complete {4 represents wholeness, harmony}. A lot possibilities in numbers.

--Ancient statue would be a bust of your old self, earlier life where foundations begin. Again I have become ‘big’ on early life experiences/influences as a major part of what dreams are trying to bring out. As a child you have certain primary interests {digging in the dirt} which could lead to being an archeologist later in life. The early life experiences become the foundations for later life {if you follow your passion you tap into the true self and life blossoms}.

It has been carried up by a grey-haired man who I understand to be a professor of Archeology: Yes, I have (as we most all have) experiences with the negative masculine. In this case, however, the professor does not represent the negative masculine or my experiences with the negative masculine. He is clearly a helpful animus figure.
-- You are the archeologist but the grey hair man could {as a second application} address a real person. A person that needs to be explored and excavated. A negative masculine would fit. It is only by becoming the archeologist you are able dig up what is buried. I see the archeologist as pointing to digging deep into the unconscious to uncover what is hidden. Two apps to the masculine self, one as you as the positive and the other as the negative masculine. A subjective application but dreams are both objective and subjective in its language {but always stating truth}.

I am not certain what the statue is made of: Ambiguous? Maybe. Enigmatic? Possibly. Valuable? Very likely.
--What are you made of? Self discovery will eventually reveal this if you dig deep enough.

The operation then becomes larger with more trucks and equipment arriving, as the crew goes deeper and deeper: I think this is showing me that there is more to discover, and, lo, more statues did come up. My task is to discover the nature of these very personal statues and what they stand for.
--Yes, always more to uncover/discover about yourself. After 27 years of search I still discover new things. Mostly involving my past and the non-relationship with my father since much of it was during early childhood {he abandoned my mother and 4 children when I was 6}. I am of strong impression things occured when I was very young {again before real memories are available} involving my father. He was a dastardly person and no telling what he could have done in his life.

There are trucks containing enormous drills: I did not experience any anxiety in the area in regard to these trucks/drills. Quite the contrary, I saw them as powerfully helpful to this unearthing operation.
--Consulting the Power of Dreams dream dictionary:
To see a drill in your dream indicates that you are headed toward a new direction in life. You are opening yourself up to new experiences and insights.
Fits very well.

The work spreads to the earth beneath the neighboring homes, to the left of mine and across the street: I rather thought of the ripple effect my own healing work. As I have grown deeper in understanding of my self, I also understand others better, especially the hearts of those who have been close to me in life (siblings, parents), as well as all others.
-The neighboring homes would be other aspects of yourself. By excavating the negative you will undoubtedly discover other aspects both negative and positive about yourself. This is why you have a deeper understanding of yourself, you have dug deep enough to realize truths beyond what the conscious ego knew or wanted to know.
--The neighboring homes could also represent your siblings and parents since a new discovered you will affect those relationships. There would be both negative aspects {past} as well as positive {present} applications. Two from one, a standard I see within all dreams, all images.

The roadway becomes impassable: My past has certainly impeded the forward progressions I have desired in life. The biggest cause of this has been a feeling of unworthiness born of my childhood struggles. Though I do not feel particularly over loaded at this point, there were time when that was very true. Nonetheless, the way forward, out of my home/being (in the dream) is impassable while this work is going on. I must definitely find the clear way forward.
--I see this statement as reaching a certain point and not yet able to get passed it. This could point to repression or as stated earlier experiences in life where you were too young to remember. It is when the work spreads to neighboring homes, your childhood struggles with parents/siblings, etc.

More artifacts are brought up: Good that this happened, demonstrating that will due diligence and work, more raw material can be unearthed.

Three in total: Jung's quarternity is not the only model of wholeness. Ellie at Crystal Links (as an example) posts this as regarding the number 3:
--I put these two together since they seem to addressing a single issue. It will require more work to remove the roadway that is impassable. This would point to both past {childhood} as well as the present. What gets my attention is the statement not recognizing them as being indigenous to my home country. Also being transported back in time and seeing the landscape as untouched. Something is not innate, experiences that do not fit with the norm. Transport back to childhood {in time} the idea childhood would be untouched by society, unwanted, negative experiences.

But there is a positive aspect to the last part as well {see Dream Structure}. There is an expanse of lush vegetation in your life ‘despite’ the somewhat craggy persona/personality. This is possible because you are taking the time and making a dedicated effort to excavate your deep unconscious to discover the artifacts that helped form who you are as an adult. Not there yet but on the right path

As for the number 3. I am familiar with Crystal Links. It is a very good website. But the limitless possibilities are not always Jungian. And that can distract from its application in dreams. What I do is to try and determine what best fits. And what fits within the concepts of Jungian psyche. My two dictionaries provide what best fits with Jungian concepts. I see those as best in interpreting a symbol. Pythagorean three means completion. Jung saw 3 not quite being whole {4 would represent wholeness}.

I agree with your statement, “ Gaia is the ancestral mother of all ofLife!” Gaia is the mother, the earth, the soul. And feminine. In Jungian psyche it is the feminine which is superior to the masculine. The Great Mother Earth gives life and so does a woman. Jesus lived from the feminine; love, acceptance, caring, giving. God, not so much.

Jerry

Jerry,

I sincerely thank you for your thorough input. I wish I had not had an extra long work day (which has left me very tired), as I very much want to respond, both to your post immediately preceding these remarks and to things you shared in one of your earlier responses in this dream thread. Your sharing has already been helpful.

Having been visited by two more dreams referent to my childhood since this one, I believe you are correct that the dream is speaking to issues I need to go deeper into so that more healing may be achieved.

Todsy, perhaps in part because I was pondering the influence of my father in my early life, when speaking with a male co-workers, I found myself not really meeting him, not really paying attention, not really dialoguing genuinely. When I caught my distancing myself from the situation/conversation, I found myself somewhat spontaneously then looking him more deeply in the eye and imagining/asking myself if I was seeing my father in him. And, oh, what a startling find. An autonomous projection I was unconscious of, which I feel certain has been happening all of my life.

My father was a terrible man. I am seeing today how much I have avoided confronting his image/my experience with him and the great pain he caused me. My eyes are tearing over as I write this. So, I will go tend to these emotions and I will be back to share more, soon. I believe in the saying that tells us that the truth will make us free, for I know that when we bring things to the light of conscious awareness, it is then that we may move toward deeper healing.

From my heart, thank you.

I will probably post the other two dreams of the last couple nights some soon time. And, I will still be back to dig up my earlier dreams posted here. Perhaps, all together, they will paint a fuller picture. I know you are also busy...and the holiday is upon us. I will patiently wait on any assistance you may provide.

In gratitude,

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes, 12/23/2019

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Web search

Jerry,

First, thank you for the welcome back. From what you wrote earlier and how busy I knew this web site/forum to be, I can imagine the significant time and attention it takes to maintain such a website. I know that when I first began healing, before I ever posted any dreams here, I was turning to your website and dream dictionary daily.

You wrote: “It is good to get away from teachers. An early lesson in my search from Joseph Campbell was not to have a guru since they can only lead you as far as they have gotten. It is good to have teachers but taking your own path is the way to discover your true self.”

This is something I intuitively heard inside of myself over the years, yet I still looked for teachers/gurus. There are probably a few factors which caused me to do so. One, not trusting my own self. Another is, I believe, that I was still looking for the parental figures I did not have in early life. My wayward seeking caused more pain as some of the original wounds seemed to grow deeper, especially the early life betrayal, which, at least in my case (and I wager in the case of many with similar histories) became a form of self-betrayal. There is so much more I could say on that. Then, there is the aspect of seeking the spiritual to avoid the pain of life, an act of denying/avoiding, wishing only to experience what is pleasant. It became a form of escaping from the painful reality of my early life.

You wrote: “And there are distinct experiences in early life for this. Uncovering/excavating what is beneath the surface will reveal what they are. You learn what they are and why they have had such impact on later life. We are all basically who we are because of childhood ‘learning’ both conscious and unconscious.”

I have known and understood this truth and yet I have had the tendency to avoid more work. Perhaps in part because I grew weary in my healing journey. I have been at it for 19 years and in the light of the above mistakes I made (running to the spiritual), I felt like I lost my way. I began to see it as if I was “Refusing the Call,” for I did experience a genuine call to healing. Writing that brings tears to my eyes. I feel it is because they are true words…. My call to healing was/IS genuine. I have desired wholeness all of my life. At the moment of this writing, however, I believe I can start again, with a fresh perspective and the wisdom gained from my mistakes.

Here is part of my conundrum from my early life: I have specific early memories of "a few" terrible things that happened in my very early life. But during the years of what was probably the greatest assault on me (sexual abuse by my father) as an adolescent, I was not conscious of the acts. I now understand that what I thought were dreams as a child, was actually astral travel. (I don't do this anymore, as far as I know.) I literally used to leave my body at night, walk out of the house, and ascend into the universe. First, it started by learning that my spirit was free/weightless, as I could make great leaps and jumps while “dreaming.” Then, I learned that I could fly with the mere wish to. Eventually, I just began ascending into the universe at what seemed warp speed. I have very distinct feeling memories of experiencing my spirit leaving and re-entering my body on so many nights during my youth. I believe my ability to do so was (not only a form of dissociation, but also) a saving grace, an answered prayer (there were many prayers) a mechanism of my psyche/spirit that protected me from knowledge too grave for my ego to endure at the time.

My father had sexually abused me and all three of my older sisters (I was the youngest). This is something I did not have the courage to share the last time I was here on the forum. I had conscious knowledge of my father sexually abusing my two oldest sisters, for I used to wake in the night hearing it happening to the second eldest…and assumed my oldest sister endured the same fate. I do now know this to be the truth. When my second sister called out for help (a second time) by telling the mother of a friend, she was confronted by our mother, who retorted, in a screaming voice, “You little ****** why do you let him do it?!” I was 10 years old when I stood in the room witnessing this. And (whoa), I surmise, that I/my psyche decided that this must never happen to me (or, if it does, that I must never know about it!), for such knowledge will mean that mother will not love me! Metaphorically speaking, I had to bury my head in the sand (which is the same thing my mother did when she did not protect her children). My psyche acted to preserve some sense of sanity in the insanity that was my early life experience. There was a lot of abuse. My father was a terrible man. I never experienced a single ounce of love or care from him. Had he ever feigned to love or care, I would never have been able to pretend to want it, for I lived my whole childhood with eyes in the back of my head, afraid of any glance of that man.

Life gave me a full plate. While I have survived, I wish to thrive. I always have. I thank God/dess for the strong spirit life bestowed upon me.

One thing abused children learn to think and believe of themselves is that they are damaged goods. The pain and shame and blame and stigma is so great that one only dares to risk sharing such knowledge with others, afraid they will be judged, rejected. This has been my experience.

This “Excavation Work” dream is one that jolted me awake, made me pay attention to its importance. Through these last two days, thanks in part to my willingness to share it here and receive your input, I was really able to see that the dream was asking me go deeper.

When I am finished writing this, I will post a dream that I remembered yesterday morning, clearly telling of how my childhood has impacted my life. It is a repeating theme, one of being a prisoner of my childhood.

Your reference to age in regard to the 2 ½ to 3-foot-tall statues that were uncovered in the dream, gave me pause to think of my earliest life memory. I always estimated myself to have been 3 years old at the time. I first was standing naked in a cold hallway outside the only bathroom in the house. I felt and “knew” (even at that young age) that something was wrong with the situation. I felt vulnerable and afraid, shivering inside. I was waiting my turn to be placed in the bathtub for bathing with my father... Then comes the moment that my mother lifts me over the edge of the tub and into the hands of my father where I will sit between his legs for bathing(?). I can still see the image clearly, the tub, my father (whom I came to refer to by his first name only, as he was never a “father” to me). In that moment when my mother lifted me over the rail of the tub, my spirit silently shrieked in despair. If I could have screamed, it would have been a shout that screamed, “NO!” I don’t remember anything else regarding those bathing routines, but I feel certain the knowledge the 3-year-old me demonstrated was for a reason.

I am not sure how to discover or unearth these deep dark secrets which we have buried so deeply to protect the fragility of our developing child self.

I will share that because I was not conscious of the adolescent sexual experiences with my father, I always thought I was somehow spared. I thought some grace saved me. This was in part true, for life would not have fared as well for me had my ego structure been more detrimentally damaged at a precious young age, were it not for the grace that lifted me above the experiences. I experienced survivor guilt as I wept deeply, thinking I was weeping only for the fate of my three sisters who went before me. The day came, however, when, amidst my weeping, I heard/felt my inner being say to me, “It happened to me, too.” That is REALLY why I wept so profoundly. After that recognition, I found myself awash in an inner vision of a sea of incessantly blooming pink roses…which I now imagine was the divine feminine nourishing and loving my spirit and soul. Still though, because I could not remember/see it happening, I never could quite say/acknowledge with certainty that it did. It was to be 3-4 years later, after a dream which assured me that it did indeed happen, that I was finally able to call my therapist/analyst with some “proof” of the reality of it.

So, here it is, Christmas Eve, and I am sharing such deep subject matter online in regard to my dreams leading me to deeper healing. Some might imagine I could be spending the time in a better way. This, however, is nurturing to my soul… is what my soul needs at this moment. And I needed to be true to myself and to honor this dream and my experience by speaking to it.

Thank you, Jerry, for working on this dream with me. Thank you for the opportunity to share. Thank you for sharing that you also had a dastardly father, for that honesty/similarity helped to give me the courage/comfort/willingness to share this truth.

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes, 12/21/2019

Jerry,

You said: But there is a positive aspect to the last part as well {see Dream Structure}. There is an expanse of lush vegetation in your life ‘despite’ the somewhat craggy persona/personality. This is possible because you are taking the time and making a dedicated effort to excavate your deep unconscious to discover the artifacts that helped form who you are as an adult. Not there yet but on the right path

>The link you provided says this about the Lysis:

What is the lysis of the dream? That is, how does the dream end? Has the situation changed from the beginning of the dream? How are things left? {lysis}

My impression of that expanse of land was "original," untouched by civilization (the workings of any man). I think here (just now) of the book titled, "Original Blessing," by Matthew Fox.

Craggy? No life is without its bump/bruises and rocky patches. Growing through the challenges of life make us "Rugged!" That is another word I equally could have chosen to describe the appearance of that expanse. It was beautifully green and fertile appearing despite some "craggy" -or- "rugged," rocky areas. And there is, in reality, much rock in our beautiful earth. Nonetheless, I have known some craggy crabbiness in me, too.

Kristi

Kristi,
The artifacts in your dream would symbolize aspects you still have not let go. This may point to repression or ignoring them and/or the unconscious trying to reveal past experiences that need your attention {for healing}. We are governed by unconscious emotional energies which primarily come from childhood/early life, our foundations for personality and attitudes. This is a primary function of dreams, nature's tool to present what is out of balance emotionally so healing can take place and wholeness achieved.

Your giving attention to the father relationship is important. And needed for proper healing. Realizations occur with the inner search. Often major realizations.

Just as the body has the immune system to heal and protect
So too the psyche has the dream...both are nature's tools

Jerry

Kristi,
I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences. Sharing your story could be helpful for others.

Here are my observations on your response plus added analysis of your dream.

This is something I intuitively heard inside of myself over the years, yet I still looked for teachers/gurus.
-Yes, you are correct. A need to seek out teachers may be due to the lack of proper instruction in early life. Substitutions are what we do best when we attempt to replace what is lacking in life. Often it is in the form of addictions, food, drugs, entering into bad relationships, seeking others to help cope with the emotional energies.

Then, there is the aspect of seeking the spiritual to avoid the pain of life
-Many, many people look to religion to avoid the psychological pains in life. I see religion as a crux as much as any other addition. Temporary respite for psychological issues.

I have known and understood this truth and yet I have had the tendency to avoid more work.
-’Refusing the Call’. Excellent analogy. Campbell was a master at defining Jungian concepts in layman’s terms. I see my mission with dream analysis using Jungian concepts as simplifying even more the difficult language of Jung {using the intuitive nature he tapped into in developing his concepts}.

From your dream, “I see an expanse of lush vegetation over a somewhat craggy appearing earth surface”. This may be addressing your renewed energies and refreshed perspectives. There is a norm to all emotional issues that remain unresolved. They remain until there is a resolution, tug at you until you either take notice and doing something about it or become even worse as time goes own. GOVERNING emotional energies are permanent if left unheeded.

I have specific early memories of "a few" terrible things that happened in my very early life.
-This could be why the dream used the statue that was 2 ½ to 3 ft tall {as one application}
-Not being conscious of the acts

I believe my ability to do so was a saving grace, an answered prayer a mechanism of my psyche/spirit that protected me from knowledge too grave for my ego to endure at the time.
-the developing psyche has an amazing capacity to endure and survive. We all possess ‘psyche’ powers {natural, metaphysical and not magical or miraculous.

When my second sister called out for help (a second time) by telling the mother of a friend, she was confronted by our mother, who retorted, in a screaming voice, “You little ****** why do you let him do it?!”
-If your mother put the blame on your sister then you have two negative forces to deal with work through. The developing psyche is dependent on proper emotional nourishment and when both parents are at fault….life becomes very difficult.

I thank God/dess for the strong spirit life bestowed upon me.
-I put an emphasis on the Goddess. Religion is for the weak minded {which can not be helped in most cases since it is what we are raised on}. Spirituality is more objective. The earth is where we came from, the mother, nature is life giving.

This “Excavation Work” dream is one that jolted me awake, made me pay attention to its importance. Through these last two days, thanks in part to my willingness to share it here and receive your input, I was really able to see that the dream was asking me go deeper.
-Dreams will persist when all else fails. Once you elect to take the inner journey {psychologica} then you are ‘required’ to stay on that path. Either you heed the call or die a thousand deaths for not doing so.

I always estimated myself to have been 3 years old at the time.
-Another application for the number 3. A time before memories are possible yet the unconscious has recorded the experiences.

In that moment when my mother lifted me over the rail of the tub, my spirit silently shrieked in despair.
-Doesn’t speak well of your mother. Have you worked on this part of the equation?

So, here it is, Christmas Eve, and I am sharing such deep subject matter online in regard to my dreams leading me to deeper healing. Some might imagine I could be spending the time in a better way. This, however, is nurturing to my soul… is what my soul needs at this moment. And I needed to be true to myself and to honor this dream and my experience by speaking to it.
-It has been said that the best therapy is talking about what is troubling you. You are engaged in therapy and there is no better time than when you do engage. It is easy to ignore the emotional energies during the holidays but it would only be a conscious choice. Unconsciously it is still churning within needing expression.

As for the holidays and better things to do. I visited my son and his family yesterday so I could spend the day working on dreams {listening to/watching Leon Redbone on Youtube}. The past year has been a time of readjustment having sold my house in Cocoa and buying a new residence in Ocala National Forest {issues related to having so many cats and needing to be in a place where no one bothers me or them}. I had gotten away from wanting to work on dreams for many months but knew in time the desire would return. The same goes for working on my websites. Withe event of everyone using Iphones for the internet I needed to design pages to accommodate that change. It limits my ability to be creative but is necessary if I wish to be a part of the WWW.

As for the structure of dreams. Unless it is a long dream and needs to be apart of my analysis I don’t often take time to look for structure. Most long dreams are repetitive in what the primary issues are {especially when it comes to foundations} and it is not always clear where one aspect of structure begins and/or ends. Dreams don’t tend to state in clear language you should do this or do that. The last sentence in your dream states, “ I see an expanse of lush vegetation over a somewhat craggy appearing earth surface”. This is where you are at the moment and often dreams end with this type statement. Even when the lysis is looked at it is often as much as informative as it is instructive.

Have a great Christmas day. I have a chicken I need to place in the oven, the most noteworthy physical activity I have planned for today.

Jerry

Jerry,

I have done so much work already that, if the artifacts are indeed pointing to aspects of my past, I am, as of this moment, just not sure what they signify. It may be that there are memories from that early time of my life that seek resolution. I trust that their meaning will come clear in time.

Yes, I must apply continued attention to the father aspect.

Kristi

Kristi,
I'll look at the owthre dreams you posted Sunday. Have a full day tomorrow and I work on Saturdays.

Jerry

I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences. Sharing your story could be helpful for others.

- "Good" if it may be helpful to others. :relaxed:

I see my mission with dream analysis using Jungian concepts as simplifying even more the difficult language of Jung

- You do a great job of making dream meaning more clear, which is a benefit to me and others.

... the developing psyche has an amazing capacity to endure and survive.

- Yes, indeed!

We all possess ‘psyche’ powers {natural, metaphysical and not magical or miraculous.

- not magical or miraculous: a very grounded and "true" way to observe the healing faculties of the psyche.

This may be addressing your renewed energies and refreshed perspectives.

- I really like that the dream gave me this perspective in light of what is clearly a large amount of work yet to be done (impassable road filled with the dirt from the excavation work).

If your mother put the blame on your sister then you have two negative forces to deal with work through. The developing psyche is dependent on proper emotional nourishment and when both parents are at fault….life becomes very difficult.

- Yes, life saw fit to give me a good share, of both the negative mother and father, but also many positives (in other regards). The initial stages of my healing journey were extremely difficult. My hope is to heal sufficiently to be able to somehow help others with similar early life difficulties. Much work has already been done, but more to go!

Spirituality is more objective. The earth is where we came from, the mother, nature is life giving.

- I agree. When I first began healing, in nature is where I wanted to be all the time.

Dreams will persist when all else fails. Once you elect to take the inner journey {psychologica} then you are ‘required’ to stay on that path. Either you heed the call or die a thousand deaths for not doing so.

- I am very glad the dreams do persist. Can you please elaborate on the thousand deaths? Does that come from Joseph Campbell?

Doesn’t speak well of your mother. Have you worked on this part of the equation?

- I have done significant work with the mother aspect. Much, much more than with the father aspect.

It has been said that the best therapy is talking about what is troubling you.

- Talking always helps me.

Another application for the number 3. A time before memories are possible yet the unconscious has recorded the experiences.

- I find it really remarkable that I had such a strong memory of that portion of the bath tub experience, both visually and viscerally.

The past year has been a time of readjustment having sold my house in Cocoa and buying a new residence in Ocala National Forest

- The Ocala National Forest sounds like a wonderful place to reside.

Withe event of everyone using Iphones for the internet I needed to design pages to accommodate that change.

- I finally joined the iPhone movement and purchased one (on my second one now) some few-several years ago, but I still much prefer to sit down at my desk top computer for internet related communications. The phone is good when on the go, though.

Have a great Christmas day. I have a chicken I need to place in the oven, the most noteworthy physical activity I have planned for today.

- Thank you for the Christmas Day wish, which I did read during my day yesterday. We actually enjoyed pizza for our get together. It is what the kids (grandchildren) like! Easy and simple (for me) and enjoyable for them.

'll look at the owthre dreams you posted Sunday. Have a full day tomorrow and I work on Saturdays.

- Thank you, Jerry. That will be helpful for me. Tomorrow, I embark on a long drive half way across the country. I worked this week (excepting yesterday and tomorrow) and am on vacation for the next week. I am taking my tablet computer with me, so will watch for the dream analysis and be able to respond when you do have the time to look at it.

Best,

Kristi

stats from 7-14-10 to the present