Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Short and unsettling- a baby, eyes, and a drill

Now that I am spending more time reading other dreams in this thread I am realizing that it is normal to respond with more information. I will do the same. I have a complicated relationship with my father. I love him very much and we are very close. Throughout my life I have really not been able to make the decisions for myself that I wanted because it was his way or the highway. If I chose something different, I would lose all support (financial, his support, him being proud of me). He would convince me that I was wrong, that his way was the only possible way, and that if I didn’t agree I was on my own. Disappointing him was the worst, so I avoided it at all costs. This has been very difficult for me as I venture into my adult life. I am about to make a huge change in my life- something that goes against so much of what he wants me to do. It is extremely confusing and I have been so indecisive because it’s hard at this point to tell what I want vs what I think I want because of his influence.
Anyways.. something else I have been working on is having a more assertive voice and more confidence. I have a very assertive voice inside my head, it’s difficult for me to actually bring that out.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23, F, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes 3/24/20

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Google

Sara,
First I appreciate your response. It is from follow up responses we learn about dreams.
I'll provide more comments either later today or in the morning. I do see in the dream the confusion you speak of and why it is there. The dream focuses on what i termed the governing energies of the masculine which of course would be your father's actions in your life. With no knowledge of your personal life the best I {or any trained dream analyst} can do is provide an outline of the emotional energies the dream is trying to communicate {so you can resolve the issues}. With what you have provided I will be able to give more detail o the dream images and actions to your waking life. If you have any more info you wish to add {you feel comfortable with} feel free to post those. The more I know about the relationship and your current waking life will be helpful. Especially helpful would be the relationship with your current bf. Has the relationship with your father entered into that relationship? Or are there any aspects about the relationship that equates to that of your relationship with your father, shared traits between the two?

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 70 Altoona, Fl

Sara,
My analysis of the images/actions do seem to point to exactly what your relationship with your father has been and is. You state you do must anything to not displease him, being under his control, doing as he says or losing his support. The norm for dreams is to have the opening to state what the primary emotional energies are that are in conflict. Below is a dissection of your response vs my analysis. I will address some lines from the dream but not all since many are repetitive.

Your dream language and my analysis
-Bf and I walking down street-literal experiences with bf/relationship with masculine aspects involving trust
I'll address this first line later since there are questions to how it may apply and is most important {being the first language in the dream}

-we see a young man sobbing-release of emotional stress related to development stages of life
Foundations in life start and are grounded in early life experiences. This is a given, you are shaped by what you learn/experience early in life. When you get to adulthood these emotional energies possess an unconscious and often a conscious tendency to follow what you learned. Your dominating father has limited your personal growth and now that you are a point in life where you want/need to make major changes that your father would not approve you find it even more difficult to do so. You are as much unconsciously driven as you are consciously.

-holding a baby tight to his chest-issues with control, dependency and vulnerability affecting yourself confidence
Issues with control are your primary emotional conflict because of the relationship with your father. Your dependency on him is paramount both emotionally and financially. Because of this you are left vulnerable to making decisions on your own.

-He is standing in front of a dumpster-masculine aspects asserting rejected emotional energies {past negative experiences}
What is being rejected is the need to break away from your dependency on him. The masculine aspects point not only to the father relationship but your own ability to assert yourself, to be in control of your own life {inner masculine qualities/your animus qualities}. Your inner self is speaking to you in the dream attempting to communicate to you where you are in life {most people are unaware of their true status} and what you should/need to do to break the cycle of dependency.

-is about to throw it away-issues of abandonment
This is where the changes you are contemplating come into play. If you make choices that go against what your father thinks is best you will feel abandoned. This applies to other aspects of your life that related to decisions/actions that go against his will.

-We run up, I am yelling at him please, no, don’t do it! Give me your baby!-constraining elevated emotional energies of anger related to and contributing to underdeveloped masculine aspects
The elevated emotions would point to the ongoing friction {in your mind} with your father. But it also points to current elevated emotional energies, the changes you spoke of you are contemplating.
-a lack of needed conversation
This is as much a directive as it is a lack of an ability to communicate your true feelings with your father. There is a need for a dialog with yourself about your dependency and a need to break away from that. A blockage due to all the years of abiding to his will

-Then he is still walking but now he has an electric drill-progress in life with instilled and powerful experiences
This is where you are now. You want to make major changes in your life that likely will go against his will but doing so isn’t easy because you have ingrained within your psyche his power to control your decisions. As stated above early life experiences are the foundations for personality and personal attitudes throughout life

-He turns the drill to himself and he drills out one of his eyes-masculine aspects dominating a one-sided way of thinking {unconscious energies that govern your current life}
One sided thinking is pointing to your father’s influence which has dominated your life. The question to be answered is to what degree does this domination have over your unconscious. How does it affect relationships with men as an adult. This is part I will address later found in the first sentence of the dream

-I am surprised but somehow in the dream I am not terrified yet-not understanding motivations for unresolved fears {you are unconsciously driven by governing energies}
This too may be related to the first sentence and goes with the last sentence. What are your fears related to the changes you are contemplating, not only as related to your father relationship but the changes themselves?

-am having this odd feeling of “something was not right with that eye”-ingrained emotional energies related to dominating energies
The eye that is not right is what you see from the dominating father relationship. But how is that affecting your decision making in the changes? The dominating energies from your father relationship is likely unconsciously affecting aspects of that decision making.

-Then all of a sudden I am in a car, in the drivers seat-actions under conscious control that affect or the course in your life
The changes you are contemplating puts you in the driver's seat, you have the ability to control your future. This goes against all you have ‘learned’ from early life. And we know how the past has ‘driven’ you. Can you continue to be the driver or will you go to the back seat and let him continue to ‘drive’/control your decisions?

-I am holding the baby and my boyfriend is in the passengers seat-issues of vulnerability/dependency related to masculine aspects you can not control
You vulnerable to your father’s will {baby}. It controls you. The important image here is your bf being in the passenger’s seat. Does the changes you are contemplating involve your bf? If he is in the passenger’s seat is he in your life just for the ride or will that relationship allow him to be the driver in your life {and not your father’s will}?

-I turn to the left and there, in another car, is the man-emotional energies to do with current masculine experiences
The man in the other car is your bf? Turning left is your true self, your true direction {right is your socially driven self}. Going left would require breaking free from your father’s domination

-He is in the passengers seat and someone who I intrinsically knew to be his father was in the front seat-masculine energies that control your actions related to current masculine relationships/natural inclination to abide by governing energies
I see this as your bf relationship and ‘his father’ is actually your inner masculine self that has and is ‘driving
You’ {in the driver’s seat}. Your natural inclination is to abide by your father’s will {in the driver’s seat}, your natural way of thinking {intrinsically}. Will that intrinsic way of thinking trump your true feelings/desires?

-The father is crying, he is so upset-release of emotional energies related to governing masculine aspects {possibly father} causing emotional disorder
This literally could be the reaction of your father is you do go against his will {most images are symbolic but can also have literal applications as well}. His feelings are important to you and to go against him will in itself cause emotional stress. This would be a part of the equation in the changes you are contemplating.

-The son has the drill, and he too is sobbing-ingrained governing energies related to undeveloped masculine aspects that require an emotional release
This points to your inner masculine qualities. You are the son {metaphorically} who lacks proper masculine qualities that were never properly developed due to the one sided relationship with your father. A primary law of dream analysis is every person in a dream is the dreamer {although it could also have literal applications since all dream images have at least two applications}.

-He holds the drill up to his other eye, he pauses, the agony in his face is indescribable, it looks as if he is willing himself as hard as he can to do it, and he drills out the other eye-inclined to abide by governing unconscious masculine energies you are unable to consciously realize
The ‘he’ is you, your animus self. Undeveloped as it should have been {with a proper father/daughter relationship} you are now in the position that you must will yourself to follow your own path. This undoubtedly would be painful {He looked pain} for both him and your animus self

-I feel my face contort with absolute horror and I instantly wake up-distorted thinking process you are currently numb to and a need to realize
When you wake from a dream you are back in the real world. But the emotions of the end reflect your true inner self. Your face represents your persona/personal attitudes and because of the confusion on how to proceed in your desire to make changes. The horror is genuine fear and parallels your waking feelings of horror.

-I awake to my face in the same position as it was in the dream-your conscious self is parallel to the dream/parallel experiences past and present
Once awake the dream still is communicating. You are still where you were before, dominated by your father’s will. This is the reality. Do you change it and make your own path or do you continue down the same old path?
Note: Dreams share many of the same images as do dreams. In myth the instructions are to follow your own path. If you follow other paths you are not on your true path. Bottom line is ‘follow your bliss and doors will open where there were barriers. This is natural law and nature trumps all other laws. Myth are collective dreams and have withstood the ravages of time to prove correct.

Back to the first line.
-Bf and I walking down street-literal experiences with bf/relationship with masculine aspects involving trust
This is a literal application in you are going in a direction that is shared with your bf. In doing so, your bf having such a part in your life there must be trust. But because there are issues with your father’s domination and because this first line shows shared direction with your bf how does trust enter into that equation? This is the literal aspect of this sentence.

The metaphorical begs the question related to trust. Th bf would be symbolic of inner masculine aspects.
The bf represents the relationship with your masculine side and when undeveloped trust becomes an issue not only within but with could come into play with relationships in waking life. If you do not trust your animus {as would be the case when it is underdeveloped} then what does that say in making choices in adult male relationships. That may be a question that needs answering. How does your actual bf enter into the changes you are contemplating? Is your bf anything like your father? Or is the question related to your choice of him that is in conflict with your father’s desires. I see something in the relationship but without more info on that end i can not speak to it.

End of analysis/comments
A lot to think about. Let me know your thoughts and post them. That may help with more insights to the dream.

Jerry

I would say this interpretation really hits home. Definitely a lot to think about. I relate to what you said completely. I am about to make a cross country move instead of entering into a doctorate program. I am in a career I dislike and will be actively trying to change career paths through networking once I have moved. My father wants me to stay and go into the program, and I understand it is a wonderful opportunity, however I don’t feel it is right for me. I feel a lot of pressure to make the “right” decision because if I go off on my own and somehow “fail” then I’m afraid I will feel like I missed an opportunity, or he was right, or something like that. My boyfriend is going with me on this move.
Another thought I had come to me from your interpretation is that I actually really dislike being told what to do and I wonder if this is because I felt that I couldn’t speak up when my father told me what to do. I am still struggling with finding my voice and not letting people walk on me. I long to work for myself and start a business so I don’t have to answer to anyone but myself. Maybe these are connected.
I also want to say I love my dad very much and he is one of my best friends which makes this all the more difficult!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23, F, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes this post

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Google

Sara,
First to answer your question you do not like being told what to do. Likely that trait is from your father always telling what you do. Some people who follow in experienced the same growing up could either have a personality of needing to be told what to do or be that type person themselves {always telling others what to do}. It gets down to individual factors and other early life experiences. Either way the trait is often unconsciously motivated by early life grounding. I always want to learn what early life was like for a person when matching the my analysis to those experiences as presented in the outline of emotional energies that come from an analysis of a dream. It is only when an dream analyst knows the personal info that can be done.

Note: There are many like myself who have the ability to properly interpret dreams but only in an outline of the energies. Using Jungian concepts allows this to be done.

I believe we do know the intent of the dream since you have provided personal information that pretty much matches the outline of the energies. You have always capitulated to your father's wishes whether you felt it was right or what you personally wanted. It has probably limited your true potential since you are you and not your father. Consciously you were aware of this but unconsciously didn't realize how deep it motivated other actions and traits {not like being told what to do}. Your dreams will attempt to communicate these unrealized traits and actions so you become aware of the balance it possesses psychologically {dreams focus primarily what is out of balance}. This particular dream doesn't look to mention this trait but others will especially if the trait is a major negative. On the other hand it could be a positive since anyone who gives in to others demands whether right or wrong will never be able to make decisions on their own. Understanding why you have this trait after giving conscious thought to it may be an indicator it is time to break the chain and follow your own path.

A thought about the dream title. Often the title is telling of the intent of the dream. On the topic of the drill this is what the dream dictionary has to say about its meaning.
-To see a drill in your dream indicates that you are headed toward a new direction in life. You are opening yourself up to new experiences and insights.

Dreams don't often tell a dreamer what to do, they attempt to communicate what the emotional energies are that motivate the conscious life of the dreamer. Because it was a conscious inclusion in the dream title it is a good indicator your unconscious is attempting to tell you what you really want, beyond just ego desire and going
to what you should do. If you look at the drop down menu on my Power of Dreams website under About you will see a link page to Joseph Campbell. Campbell is my spiritual mentor who 'turned me on' to Jungian psyche in 1992. One of his better known quotes and one I often cite because it opened my eyes to my potential was as follows:

"If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."

I can not name the number of times doors opened in my life when I saw only barriers or could not see at all. Up until I was 42 I never realized I had the ability to analyze and interpret dreams. I was a sports fanatic, couch potato, political junkie who had three failed marriages {which I now realize why from my own inner psychological search}. Then I saw Campbell in the Power of Myth and in one night my life changed. If I had not followed that path no telling where I would have be in life but I am sure I would have never realized my full potential. That goes to another quote by Campbell about the meaning of life.

"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. ... I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."

He elaborates in other speech that there is no real meaning in life but you have to find meaning in your own life. Could you be at that point in your life? We only get one chance and when the heart speaks it is often emotional but when the soul speaks it is your true self. More often than not meaning has to do with creativity and that is associated with spirituality {not religion but being in accord with nature and our true selves and what is right and virtuous and honest and giving of oneself to the other}. The fear of failure may be more from about the relationship with your father and that being a barrier, doors will open when you follow your bliss.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present