Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unsettling Dream (lions and ducks)

I've been working quite a bit, and considering all of this. I would like to ask (in reply to the following):

'To see ducks in your dream represent your spiritual freedom (if flying) or the subconscious (if swimming). They serve as a connection between the spiritual realm and the physical world. Ducks are multi-talented animals in that they can walk, swim and fly. Thus, a duck indicates your flexibility and your ability to blend and adapt in various situations.'

This very much fits me, but in the dream the duck is dead. Should I make anything of that? Could the fact the duck is dead mean that it is fruitless to go through that door. But then, I'm conflicted because the lion is pursuing me on the outside. Or maybe my ability to adapt is changing...

As to my creative side, I am frustrated about that. The creativity in my head is as active as ever, but my ability to make anything happen seems severely restricted. That is partly my own shortcomings and reaction to stress, all of which is connected to my job.

Thank you for your time. I'm amazed at your generosity with it as evidenced on this site. :slightly_smiling_face:

Reggia,
The dead duck would likely represent a blockage in your creative self. One major Jungian concept is we all have a creative aspect which when accessed and utilized indicates the person is in balance. But because of social duty, obligations to the social world {including materialism} the creative self is often blocked. That causes an out of balanced psyche. Stress is a powerful blocker of the creative self.

As for the lion chasing you on the outside. This could be the stress, current emotional energies that are pursuing you. This could affect your ability to adapt as you have been able to do in the past. Doubt is a powerful emotion and even when you have experience with similar situations in the past {and having the ability to adapt} doubt is always looking over your shoulders. The dead duck is on the doorknob in your dream and a doorknob often symbolizes access or restriction to some aspect in your life. Dream language; 'Again, there was a dead duck with his bill on the doorknob.' You are incapable of escaping emotional dependencies. This could apply to many aspects in your life and not just your creative self. As I have stated previously all dreams have more than one meaning/application.

But there is an important part of the dream which could be positive. The end of the dream which usually states current emotional energies states,'I started to hesitate then pulled it off and just got us inside in the nick of time.'
-proceeding despite uncertainty/emotional obsession to inner emotional energies

Now that you are consciously aware of negative tendencies and your positive abilities to adapt you can work on the positive. Your ability to adapt, knowledge you have previously overcome past issues, is a strength.

This philosophy in life may be helpful.
Do all you can do and don't worry about the rest.
I have found attitude this to be true. When I have things on my mind and I know I have done all I can do, worrying doesn't change things {except causing more stress}. And in the end all turns out OK.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 70 Altoona, Fl

I'm still studying this... and feel like I am somehow supposed to act upon it, or perhaps, just mentally/emotionally think upon these situations differently than I have in the past.

I've had several more dreams where there was the same young child. Always I feel responsible... not too many details remembered as I've not had enough time to record them due to work. I do remember going through a town with the child... the child somehow was lost from me for a little bit... and I was greatly concerned for the child's well-being. It appeared to be an ancient place... the dwellings seemed to be hollowed-out rock with only openings as doors and windows and no furniture or decor of any kind. There were paths throughout the dwellings, leading one to the next. (I hesitate to say cave-like because although primitive it seemed well-formed and designed.)

A few days ago, I remembered an incident from my waking life. Many years ago when moving into a new (to us) home (that had been vacant for a year due to repairs needed after a tornado ht), we discovered a dead duck. It had become wedged in the chimney. No telling how long it had been there...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 yr old female, Southwest USA

Reggia,
Most likely the young child is you. I have found in many previous interpretations if a child is mentioned in the very first part of the dream it is indeed the dreamer as a child. The same is true in mentioned in later parts of the dream but may be in a different context. Either way there is usually a connection to the dream child to the dreamer as a child.

As for the symbolism of the child as you mention in your post.
'Always I feel responsible'.
The word responsible may be another term for guilt. As a child often their are feelings of guilt for something someone else has done, to the child. Something to consider.

'I do remember going through a town with the child... the child somehow was lost from me for a little bit... and I was greatly concerned for the child's well-being'
This could be you as a child as well as a child you know {your child?}. The concern would be for past experiences as a child as well as more recent or later experiences of concern. Often the experiences are related. What happened to you as a child may be a fear you have for the later day child. Being lost from you may be pointing to something that was lost, perhaps past experiences as a child you have forgotten. Going through a town with the child may be you 'mentally/emotionally thinking upon these situations'.

Ancient is something old as in the past.

The dwellings may be your inner self. Caves are often symbolic of the unconscious. Primitive can be symbolic of ancient, original which again would point to past experiences {as a child}. The description of the dwelling {your inner home and possibly your real home as a child} is a description of your emotional energies. It is lacking any real 'decor', your interior design. Doors and windows offer insights to these 'ancient' emotions. Paths may be the direction in life which is in a great degree determined by your childhood. Are there any shared experiences to your childhood and other children in later life {possibly your children}.

Another symbolic possibility for the cave is representing the womb and the mother relationship. Your mother and possibly you as a mother which could have associations to each other.

The experience with moving into a new home may have been a synchronicity event. Another symbolic representation of a duck is 'flexibility' in handling emotional situations {flexibility/ability to adapt}. A chimney is how you vent your emotions. Wedged is being blocked. Dead is not alive, not working or possibly buried.

A lot of the symbolism seems to be pointing to experiences within the unconscious that is not remembered or is being blocked {due to traumatic or bad experiences}. Associations to later life experiences {often a stimulus for a dream or dreams} would be common. Look at these possibilities and see what you come up with. The intent of our dreams is to get us to think about our emotional energies so we can reconcile what is out of balance. It is not an easy process and takes time and effort.

Jerry

I've been away, and taking another trip in a few days with no breaks from work inbetween. I continue to be hounded (didn't want to say plagued) by dreams; I'd rather have the dreams than not. Don't other people dream much? I'm surprised this forum isn't a mile long with requests... Anyway, I'm still trying to take all things into account but going in many directions which I welcome at the moment as I'm feeling very stuck, not an unusual feeling for me, but I do love going places, seeing new scenery or even rediscovering the old. It's one way in which I derive hope. "Hope is generally a wrong guide, though it is good company along the way." ~George Saville

Still, these dreams continue. Finally bears have made an appearance and they, too, are chasing me. But last night, the lions were back (a pair), they did not see me... and I almost missed spotting them as I was so busy caring for some children. I turned into another path that was hidden by a bush and a large trail sign. I forgot one of the children's names (and I felt ashamed), and as I had to leave hurriedly I left his bottle behind and was struggling trying to figure out an alternative way of feeding him.

To be sure, you've given me enough to go on and I certainly have some clues. :blush: I just like being able to keep this all in one spot. :wink:

I've been thinking, too, of Jung and others who relate everything back to one's childhood. I feel that at 60 yrs old, then 37 could be considered my childhood. Or childhood, per se, could be in any formative period in one's life, that is, some point at which you struck out anew, tackled a new concept, moved in a new direction (literally as well as figuratively).

Reggia,
I'll address your question about other people dreaming but first to why the forum doesn't have a lot more posts. At one time it did and I had a few other people help with the requests. For many years it was ranked high in internet searches, in the early 2000s. It got to the point I couldn't get to all the requests and when I lost my supporting help I had to scale back.

Also Google and smart cell phones came along. I am the webmaster and design all the pages at Power of Dreams {2012} and Myths-Dreams-Symbols {on line since 1998} and keeping the sites current to the new changes required by both were/are very time consuming. Designing sites for cell phones requires new individual pages that fit that medium, thousands of duplicate pages I have designed over many years. And the older I got and closer to retirement the less time I had to put into the sites and still properly analyze all the dream requests. When I did retire and got involved with animal rescue {I have 16 cats I care for} my time was even less.

On the positive side the rate of requests I get now fits my schedule. It allows me to more thoroughly focus on analyzing dreams and has let me form my own philosophies from the experience of 27+ years of interpreting thousands of dreams. I use primarily Jungian concepts but have my own 'hypothesis' that fit more with Freudian concepts of shaping our personalities and personal attitudes. Everything that is involves patterns and personal behavior follows the patterns formed from early life and are prominent as emotional energies when we dream. Jung different somewhat in his beliefs.

As for other people dreaming. Most everyone dreams every night {this page will provide insights to our dreaming brains Dream Science: Science and the Dreaming Brain. Science has shown the stages of sleep and it is during REM sleep we do most of our dreaming. Dreams are about emotional energies of the dreamer and have a primarily symbolic language but with literal applications as well {metaphor, the house is you but may also be a comment on a house you lived in}. An experienced 'Jungian' dream analyst can derive an outline of the emotional energies by translating the symbolic language and determine what 'patterns' are being addressed. Parental issues, those years in early life when personality and personal attitudes have their foundations, are common dream topics. A question I would ask you in a deeper analysis would be 'what was your relationship with the 'dependencies' in early childhood, it being a common pattern of experience in life with all people. With limited personal info I have about you I can not say this as a fact, that requires more personal information. The formative period in life you noted is real and to later or change those psyche energies requires a knowledge of them {what dreams attempt to communicate} so there can be changes made to better the person's psychological life.

I'll provide my thoughts on the bears and rest of your latest dreams in another post.

Jerry

Au contraire! my comments were in no way a criticism; rather, I was expressing surprise that you're not flooded with requests. I continue to be amazed of your sharing this gift freely.

Not to worry, I didn't take it as a criticism. Just a short history of the evolution of the dream forum. Have learned a lot from responses to my analysis. Confirms Jung got it right and has allowed me to form valuable concepts which I have found to be useful and more often than not correct. Will provide more on your previous post tomorrow.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present