Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Woman & Wolf

Another very vivid dream this morning - some parts understandable, others more complex. Walking along a dirt path - reach a point where there is considerable debris (looks like discarded pieces of furniture, etc.)strewn about which prohibits me from continuing on. Emotions are intense again. I'm frustrated and try to turn around and go back - unable to do this...the path has disappeared. To my right, and over a white fence, stands an old woman and a grey wolf. The wolf is harnessed and kept close to the woman's side. The woman is native American in dress - however is fair skinned and blue-eyed. I feel a connection with the old woman - but very suspicious of the wolf. I sense that he has caused me some grief in the past...and I'm leary of getting too close. The woman does not speak, but it's understood that I will follow her and the wolf up the mountainside. Midway up the mountain, she motions for me to turn around and view the path I have traveled thus far. I can see clearly the winding dirt road, and the debris which was blocking my way. From this vantage point, I can also see that there are three fairly deep pits just beyond the debris...covered over with leaves, but still visible. I feel relieved that I have been provided a way of escape, and that the debris (which initially irritated me) has actually benefited me...saved me from pain. The old woman seems pleased that I "get it". We continue upward, finally arriving at a rustic outbuilding which she and the wolf enter. I follow. She removes the harness from the wolf and sets him free...he approaches me and is very docile. Again there is an understanding between the old woman and myself that the wolf will accompany me on the next phase of the "journey".

What/whom doess the "wolf" represent?

Deedee

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Northwest US

Re: Old Woman & Wolf

Hi, Deedee. I am new to the forum and not very adept but I found some clues that may resonate. The dirt path is a "make-shift" one, which is what you are having to follow right now. You have never been down this path (this situation) before (separation and making a new life for yourself). It is the hero's path, the "left-hand mythology", there is no set course out there that you can follow; you've got to take it as it comes. That is why it is represented in this form. Remember, the purpose/culmination of life is not the destination, but the journey. The blockade of furniture, etc. may be memories of your married life that are blocking your progress. Are you holding on to bits/pieces/fragments of what "used to be?" Be thankful that they are there, or as you saw through your guide, you would've landed in a worse place. It is a positive thing to regard your past as a chapter, or journey along your way and appreciate it. I have found that the "worse" things that I thought had ever happened to me in my life, turned out to be the best things that happened to me in the long run (as you can see from the mountain). Honor your past, dont be frustrated by it; additionally, having it gone now will also turn out to be a good thing; you are destined to other experiences. The "gift" of the wolf, I believe, is a call upon you to develop your intuitive side which is still wild, or undomesticated, or unpolished, but it is there. This can also be seen as a tool that has been given you, the companion of an intuitive hunter, with self-preservation skills, you should not be suspicious of it any longer, perhaps in the past you were not rewarded, to say the least, for following your intuition. You are being forced to face your new life (unable to turn around and go back on your path). The old woman is your higher self, and I am sure will continue to guide you as she has in the past. Go by your instincts. There is no past experience to go by... no neatly built path. On the positive side, since the path is not built, you can build it in any which way you chose! Start asking yourself: what did I always want to be/do that I never did and how can I start doing it now! Start building your own path. One step at a time, the path is yours to make -- the path to bliss. God bless. Victoria

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Miami

Victoria - what can I say? Except, thank you...very much. Your words speak of experience and of insight.

Deedee

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Wow, what a great dream
how does this tie in with the issues in your life now ,,,,
- the dirt path blocked by debris ,,,, one's own path, others may have gone before but you travel it alone, the debris ? perhaps the thngs you no longer need .... blocking your (inner and outer) progress.
- to the right ,,, a consciously made choice ,,, the white fence? not sure (what does it bring up for you).
- the harnessed wolf ,,, perhaps your primative side, that has frightened you and it has been restrained ,,, it would be interesting to look at the symbolism of the wolf ,,, for me it has spiritual qualities, extra-ordinary senses ,,,,
- the life journey taken 'to the right' may not be initially easy (fence, up hill) but it is safe
- rustic bld - a home; bringing you to a greater sense of safety, peace and comfort

Love to know how this turns out,,, J

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Brisbane / Australia

deedee,when i first read your dream it reminded me of a book titled ,lesson from a sheep dog,the story told of a dog that was kept chained up in someones backyard,it was a sheep dog and that was in its genes,being chained up and not being able to fulfil its purpose, it became aggressive. all dogs are descended from wolves and have been domesticated,i feel your wolf because of the slight native american influence in the symbology ,is talking about a primative energy which is spiritual/natural, if not a bit frightening on first contact,in some native american myths the wolf is called, the listener,he hears and knows before you do,and will keep you right,and warn you of any danger ,if you take a look at the story of hecate(ref the old lady in your dream) one of the greek myths ,i believe this goddess is associated with the crossroads,is highly intuitive ,and will lead you ,she is accompanied by a wolf and carries a torch ,i feel that you have,or are about make contact with this part of your self,with a slight degree of suspicion,i say dont be afraid ,and you will look back and see that its been there all the time guiding you.its all about trust,and if you do,the chain will come off the wolf and will be your trusted companion.a natural, primitive/spiritual energy under control,regards steve.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? england

Deedee,
First let me say how wonderful it is to see others particpating in the Forum. The posts that have been made in response to Deedee's dream all have merit. This is a great way of learning how the dream works, active participation.

As for what I see in your dream, I believe it to be one that is archetypal in its form with the old woman and the grey wolf, and reminds me very much of the path of the hero in many Native American myths. But the dream is also addressing the personal aspect {Jung says that dreams commonly do both}.
The dirt path is your newly found 'hero' path, the one that takes you away from the old routine that has maintained your life the past 28 years {your just ended marriage}. The dirt path symbolizes your personal grounding, finding that thing in life that provides you with the 'bliss' you seek.
The debris is negative emotions, experiences you have accumulated over these years, discarded aspects of who you really are {furniture}, aspects that you could never utilize in your former position. Intense emotions! You can't go back to that old self, that part of you has come to an end. You have to be different' live different and think different.

The dream is also addressing the mid-life issues and no the chnages cause by your divorce. The old ways no longer apply. The children are grown, the dog has died, life begins anew {this is the death resurrection motif}.

Enter the archetype, the wise old woman, the mana personality and the grey wolf. This is the wise unconscious, the helping hands afforded to all of those who seek the true self by intro-spection and exploring the inner life. The mariage years were spent primarily on the ego self. Now you are at mid-life and are focusing on the inner self. Here you find a lot of debris, trash that needs to be cleaned out. The wise old woman represents the compensation aspect within the psyche, the helping hands that will give you what is needed to 'clean up' your life. She symbolizes the primtive psyche, the oldest part of our deepest unconscious. It is interesting that she has blue eyes. Do you have blue eyes?

The grey wolf has different symbolizm in your dream. Jung tells us that the wolf symbozies those things we often fear in the unconscious, the unknown that lies before us {your new life beyond marriage}. But once we get to to know and understand these unconscious fears, they become our allies {as shown later in your dream} something you do not have to fear because you are aware of them.

The wolf may also symbolize male and male sexuality, not so much the sexual act but in the desire to have that male relationship and companionship. Being alone after 28 years can be very frightening {the fear of the wolf}. But once you come to terms with your new life you can use the past wisdom of your experiences to your advantage. You know what failed you in past and are aware of what you truly desire for your future. This is your bliss, that thing you truly want in life, that thing{s} {not material} that provides life with purpose.

You wisely follow the old woman. You are mid-life {halfway up the mountain}. By introspection and looking inward you can now clearly see your path {dirt road}. There is still much debris to be cleared but at least you have an idea of which way to proceed. You can see an escape from the old self, the old experiences {debris} are now being something you can use in your future.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Jung tells us the function of dreams is to compensate what we already know. In this dream the pits you see are the possible pitfalls that lay ahead. Again a compensating effect that warns us. This is your wise self feeling the positive effects of the unconscious. The rustic building is you, at mid-life. You carry with you the wise old woman within, your past negative experiences that have become positive. You no longer fear the wolf {your own unconscious fears}. No longer being afraid of the unconscious, it becomes an allie that will accompany you through your 'journey'.

And what is that journey? Campbell spells in out in thhe hero/heroine path found in mythology, one of discovering the true self, finding that 'bliss' in life that you have longed to live. Campbell and Jung tell us that the bliss is rooted in our creative/spiritual self. Much like Parcival seeking the Holy Grail. It is not a material thing but instead a place with yourself where you find balance and harmony in your life.

Now that I have provided comments on Deedee's dream I hope all will lend their comments also. Deedee, does this interpretation fit your life? Your response will shed new light on the dream and possible new avenues of discovery about yourself.
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Thank you all for the responses - the insight - and the words of wisdom. Being such a private individual, it has been slightly unnerving to have my life experiences described so accurately...almost as if my dreams have provided a window into my very soul (I suspect that's true). Strangely, I feel more transparent, but not vulnerable.

Perhaps some helpful information - raised in a very strict Scandanavian (blue eyes, yes) household where it was strongly advisable to be "seen" rather than "heard". At the young age of 5, I discovered that an entire world existed just beyond my awake hours. Dreams were vivid and full of messages...always a reminder that "someone" was guiding my steps. I could have been described as a true free spirit - full of life, somewhat of a risk-taker, slightly mischevious. My mother said I was "gifted" and encouraged my intuitive abilities. My father thought it was utter nonsense.

I married young - to a very controlling man and minister of a fundamentalist church organization. Somewhere in the next 28 years my free spirit lost it's freedom...and I quit dreaming.

It has only been in the last few months that I've dared to dream again - literally, and figuratively speaking.

I have spent many hours reading (and re-reading) the dreams posted by other forum members - as well as the responses...perhaps attempting to connect once again with a deeply spiritual aspect of myself that I lost touch with. I'm finding my way back :)

Thank you again,
Deedee

Re: Re: Old Woman & Wolf

Thank you Deedee, Gerard and all,
I greatly appreciate the efforts and care that I see in this dialogue - it helps me to learn about the unfolding of this part of life and the great belssing that dreams are
It is great to have a forum in which to post these too - when I mention dreams to others i am usually met with unknowing ,,,, such a pity

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Brisbane / Australia

Re: Re: Old Woman & Wolf

first of all,jerry is back!i could feel his presense in the background watching the posts,secondly,i think between us ,we basically covered what jerry had said about this dream,but like a fisherman he put a net around the whole and pulled it in,and of course,speaks the language.
it is a pleasure to be in the company of serious seekers,and although we do not know each other this language of the dreamworld connects us all.
i hope that deedee takes heart from whats been said about her dream,and goes on to greater revelations.
as the great joe campbell said all you need is an ariadne thread,and for me this site is that thread.regards steve

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? england

Deedee,
It takes courage to open your life to others but your narrative has provided much insight to how the psyche functions. And I say psyche because of how your life has evolved; a true dreamer who had the dream extinguished by a controlling male figured emmersed in patriarchal doctrine. You have by all figure of speech undergone a true resurrection, of spirit and in life. Welcome back to the world of dream were all true things are possible.
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

stats from 7-14-10 to the present