Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fancy Dress Parties

I do a lot of inner work and my mid-life transformation started with a big bang over 2 years ago. Married with no children. I had a fantasy a few days ago of becoming a photographer and had the following dream. Can't quite get the message on this one. My personal associations are in brackets.

I am in a town. There are fancy dress parties happening all around it. It is dusk. I am looking in all the function centres to see if I can get entry into one of them. I remember one was decorated all in black and I didn't like the look of it. It was too sombre so I didn't venture in [no personal associations].
As I walk around I go past Sara Jessica Parker and her husband Matthew Broderick. We make eye contact, but we don't talk to each other [heard them in the news recently for the birth of their child, can't stand SJP but like MB].
I am trying to cross the road. There is a lot of traffic. I feel frustrated becasue they are stopping me from proceeding. Finally a break occurs and I run across the road. There are steps going up from the side of the road to the pavement [reminds me of a little town I visited recently same situation occured in real life].
I meet a photographer and we sit down. He is showing me his latest fashion catalogue. I am flicking my way through it. He is talking to me about the technical aspects of his photos. I don't really understand what he is talking about. I tell him I work for ???? [recently did some graphics work for this client] as we have similarities in the fashion industry. I tell him that there is a problem with digital photography and I am not convinced that it is the better alternative [recently said this to an IT rep as a way to show that I have some knowledge of IT].

Any help would be appreciated.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Sydney Australia

Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Stephen,
I am interpreting this dream with a foggy head so please forgive me if I miss a thing or two. I have been fighting a really bad head cold since Friday. Steve's intuitive mind in his Old Woman & Wolf post was correct. I have been watching in the background the past several days.

Towns are the whole of the psyche of an idividual, all the aspects of the individual. Your life in general is good. But there is a feeling of a lack of true illumination. You seek that one thing among all that you are that will provide this illumination. You are aware it lies within the rcesses of the soul but you are detracted by something outside {the ego/material world}.

As you go about your search you find a beautiful quality about yourself that you have yet to fully appreciate. You have recognized the need to integrate that masculine and feminine but have yet to do so throughly. You see but you have yet to express this feminine aspect.

You are trying to cross over into the realm of true knowledge {self and universal}. But you are frustrated by all that gets in your way. You are at one moment on the path but the next moment divate from it. You are aware of direction you need to take but there are many steps before you. Just when you think you are at that intended point you are sidetracked.

You meet your Self and engage in dialog. You see your true self, the inner self. But you are too focused on the techinal aspects. You lose your concentration. You regress.

Simple answer to this dream. Follow your bliss. Of course I say that with the knowledge it is easier said than done. But if the opportunitiy presents itself then take it. Being married and with no children releaves some of the burdens in life. If you are unable to do that thing life {you fantasy} that you truly wish to do then you neede to begin to stucture your life so that you can. Joseph Campbell once told an inspiring writer, "do you have ten years to put into it?" The time span for each of is is different but there must be a beginning. You have begun the process, the hero path of soul work. Staying the path, the journey, the adventure is the task before you.
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Re: Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Thank you Gerard. Sorry to hear that you are not well. Wish you a speedy recovery.

You hit the bulls eye. I do get buried in the technical aspect because I don't like to fail. I have read many of CG Jungs' books and he mentions many warnings associated with inner work such as active imagination.

My course of action seems to be to just experience active imagination and not get too caught up in the analysis, and to follow my bliss (yet to be determined).

Thanks again. Will help anyone else if I can.
Stephen.

Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Stephen,
You've hit upon something I feel very important. If you give too much to the analysis you can never know the full extent of the muse. The great knowledge a person receives from the narrative of Joseph Campbell is enhanced 10 fold when they discover the poetry that underscores his words. By analysis you understand the narrative. But by intuitive psyche you discover the muse. Just as the student raised a flower when asked the meaning of life, it is from the intuitive self you truly understand. One goes with the other, yin and yang, balance.

And when you do begin to live your life more out of the intuitive self and less the ego-centered self, you put yourself on that higher plain of the 'hero' path. You become 'enlightened'. And it is spiritual.
This is the hero path, Parcival seeking the Holy Grail, which in reality is his own soul.

Psyche The 'totality' of the conscious and unconscious life. The mind considered as an organic system reaching all parts of the body and serving to adjust the total organism to the needs or demands of the environment.

in mythology psyche is Greek for soul

Jung tells us there is a metaphysical self, spiritual and creative, and it 'is' a part of the physical self, within the human psyche. The hero not only is the hero as the plot but also is the example of the highest attainable position in a human life. And that is spiritual. Being as Christ, Buddha consciousness, being the example, having annihilated the ego and being resurrected as was Christ. And at the same time an intuitive, creative self is realized. And being human, which we all are {human animals}. Recognizing the whole but living out of the center, a spiritual and creative being, a part of nature, not separate, physical and metaphysical. Nothing really magical about it when you realize it is merely the way of nature. The patterns, the rythym, the flow. The Muse. Nature and natural law.

Muse
Greek Mythology Any of the nine daughters of Mnemosyne and Zeus, each of whom presided over a different art or science.

muse
A guiding spirit. A source of inspiration.
A poet.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Hi, Stephen. Nothing spiritual to offer per se, but Gerard's mention of muse (art and science) got me thinking. This dream is about "dress" parties. So I am thinking fashion (art) vs technical(science). SJP is the epitome of the fashion plate but you don't like her(are you therefore making a negative association to fashion?) If fashion photography is your intended field in pursuing photography, this negative association might be telling you fashion (art) is not the way to go. However, you start talking technology (science)and perhaps a more technical type of photography might be... Consider what it is that you don't you like about SJP as well. Maybe its just her role in Sex and the City, however, your subconscious casted her, not someone else in the dream.
Victoria

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Miami

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Hi Victoria,
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't really know that much about Sarah Jessica Parker. I think the last thing I saw her in was LA Story. I didn't watch Sex in the City. Come to think of it I saw more movies with Matthew Broderick in them. I don't really equate SJP with fashion, she just annoys me. I have learnt over the past 2 years that people that annoy you for no apparent reason generally form part of you own shadow (the parts in your unconscious that you rarely use). This would tie in nicely with what GErard was saying, but thanks for your help.

Re: Fancy Dress Parties

Dear Gerard,
Thank you again for your interpretation of my dream. It is exactly what I needed to be made aware of. I now know what my purpose in life is. All this time I have been focussing on looking for a particular job, but now I see it is a way of life. It doesn't matter what job I do, it is how I function within it. I know it is right because I get 3 days rest from dreams when I get the message and start incorporating it into my conscious life. I am greatful for your participation as with the many other people who donate their time and ideas to this message board. Stephen.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present