Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Encounter w/ Wolf

Dream this morning... again walking a dirt path - look towards the mountain I am approaching and notice that there is a stone cottage situated in the trees and near the summit. I attempt to travel up a rather steep incline (rocky, slippery)and am having considerable difficulty maintaining my footing. I am midway up the mountain and notice that I am wearing white canvas tennis shoes - suddenly I feel very inadequate and angry at myself for not being more prepared for a journey of this type.

I spot the wolf at the base of the mountain and he begins a fast run towards me. I don't feel that he is going to rescue me - but rather that he intends to bring harm. I shield my face as he nears - however, he simply moves behind me and presses his body against my back...he is slowly moving me down the mountain. Once at the base, I can see a trail to the right which leads to the stone cottage - noting that it is more suitable for climbing (and my shoes). The wolf does not follow me up this particular path. I finally reach the cottage - it is in a very pleasant and peaceful setting...and I can view the valley from above. I spend a lot of time taking inventory of the outside surroundings - but never enter the cottage.

Even though the wolf has not taken the same path as I have to the cottage, he is nearby - sitting at the base of another trail that leads higher still up the mountain.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Northwest US

Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

Mountain are hugh obstacles in life that we must overcome, or transcend. You see this obstacle in your path. But this obstacle presents new knowledge about yourself. You must climb over this obstacle but it is slippery and difficult. In your waking life this obstacle probably threatens the firm footing you feel you have built in your life. By trying to overcome this obstacle in your life you feel inadequate with the tools you possess, feel unprepared.

The wolf probably symbolizes something in your waking life that causes you to seek new summits to climb, to get away from this aspect of life. This aspect is pushing you to seek alternatives. And although it at first seems to be an obstacle in itself, it turns out to be something that leads to more quickly to that place you seek. You can reach this place by virtue of this aspect {masculine} but what is inside must be sorted out.

The wolf, the masculine nature that pushes you, is not the path you normally take to in your life. But it is an aspect that can be used only when needed.
Look at your life and determine what is 'pushing' you, particurily some masculine aspect {a male, or masculine tendency brought about by the ego/social world you live in}. You tend to use this when you obsolutely have to but you had rather not. There are higher ambitions in life and to use this aspect regularly prevents you from reaching your highest summit. Look at previous posted dreams for insight to this masculine thing that pushes you.

As forgetful as I am now that I am approaching old age, I have to go back and refresh my memory from the previous posts you have made. I did not use any of the old info from these posts prior to interpreting your dream. When I did read the posts and the follow-ups is when I suggested you read them for clues to this dream. This dream seems to fit with those. What do you think?
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Re: Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

Gerard,
Taking your advice, I re-read former dream postings and replies...and you're correct - there are distinct similarities and like dream messages. I have also attempted to draw a link between recent real life events and this last dream.

I had an unexpected encounter with my ex-husband - he came by my house yesterday afternoon to discuss a matter involving our daughters. He caught me offguard - I had no shoes on which placed me at my full 5'3"...compared to his 6'2". Needless to say, I felt vulnerable, unsafe and fearful. After he left, I was angry - at him for showing up unannounced - and at myself for feeling so out of control.

In my dream state, the wolf represents a very strong and powerful force - I'm very mindful that he can easily overtake me. I especially sense this when I'm in a more vulnerable position (interesting fact: when I have a work-related business meeting to conduct, my more professional dress attire reflects my position (in control)...in this latest dream, the attire was very casual and slightly childlike (vulnerable/innocent) - jeans, sweatshirt and tennis shoes). It's in this vulnerable state that the wolf seems more threatening - more fearsome.

Even though I'm suspicious and somewhat fearful of the wolf, I believe he represents a part of me that I must come to terms with. Without him, the "wise old woman" is not complete. In my dreams, the wolf represents her spiritual partner (balance/harmony). I believe now that the old woman and the wolf are one in the same - I noticed as he ran toward me that his eyes are the same, piercing "blue".

I'm accustomed to the "masculine" component of life as being controlling and intimidating - this is what I expect of the wolf. However, he is attempting to show me that he can be trusted - and will direct me to a place of safety - and accompany me on the next part of the journey.

I think I have a great deal to learn...thanks for your wise words, Gerard - always insightful.

Deedee

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Re: Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

I think you are connecting with the symbols in your dreams. The wise old woman and the wolf are usually both positive aspects. Often one {the wolf or masculine aspect} can be frightening at first {a common theme in mythology} but once you get to know this part of yourself it does become an ally. In your waking life your ex may be taking on the role of the wolf {negative aspect} and once you get control of this situation by being strong {a positive masculine trait, the wolf} then the relationship may evolve into something you can control {turning the negative into a positive}. Dreams are seldom straightforward in their pronouncements. We can only attempt to discepher the codes of the symbols in a manner that makes sense in our waking lives. You are headed in the right direction. Future dreams will provide more insights.
Gerard into a

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Re: Re: Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

Is it a correct assumption that all dream symbols relate to some aspect of the dreamer? Are there instances where this is not the case? Are all dreams a reflection of the dreamer? Are there times when the dreamer is envisioning some aspect of another individual - perhaps for the purpose of deeper understanding?

I remember dream "clips" from my childhood - of an older woman and a wild dog/wolf. At this age, they were frightening figures and considered nightmares. I wonder now if the wise old woman and wolf have actually been a part of me from the beginning. Is this likely?

Apologies for the numerous questions - but I woke up this morning with these thoughts rolling around in my head. Just trying to connect the dots, I suppose.

Deedee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

Deedee,
Good question. Where as you will have people in your dream that states something about that person, most often it is a reflection of either your relationship to that person or the person representing an aspect of you. And it could do both. If it is a known person then it could very well say something about that person but ultimately it is focusing on your relationship to that person. Unknown people in a dream always {never say never} represent aspects of the dreamer {including fears, desires, etc.}.

Parents, siblings, children, or partners are different. Whereas a mother can represent your maternial instincts or symbolize your higher self, the dream also can be speaking directly about her. But it is focusing on your relationship with her.

The dream is about you, and all the symbols in some way relate to you. Often it is difficult to determine how a symbol does relate but it does in some manner. If you dream is about a girlfriend who is popular and attractive and outgoing, the dream is most likley speaking to your relationship to her or aspects she possesses you may wish you had.

If you haven't picked up a copy of Eric Ackroyd's 'A Dictionary of Dream Symbols', I suggest that you do. It gives the best brief synopsis of Jungian {and Freudian} dream theory that I have come across. Plus the dream dictionary is the best.

The opinions I express about dream images are my own and may vary or differ in some aspects as to what academia may say. But when I interpret a dream I use these opinions formed from my own experience as well as what I have learned from JUng and others. You can determine whether I am on the right track or not by the responses to my intrepretations. It is not so much what the symbols represent {masculine aspects are often easy to distinguish from feminine aspects}, it is the way in which they they reflect on the dreamer's condition that is the difficult part.
Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Encounter w/ Wolf

Thank you, Gerard...this was all very helpful information and for now, satisfies my inquiring mind.

You have an awesome ability/gift. I feel I've already learned a great deal about dreams and their intended messages by following your post replies and understanding your method of interpretation.

I feel fortunate to have come across your site...undoubtedly, not by coincidence.

Deedee

I'll get Eric Ackroyd's book...

stats from 7-14-10 to the present