Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need help

I have been in psychoanalysis for some time now. and all during this time i have have been having odd dreams. i know they are all parts of myself

but need help in interpreting this dream that i had last night. my mom who is dead, my dad who is elderly and living with me and my son who is grown but was represented as a small boy were in my dreams last night and another child whom i don't know if the child was a male or a female.. this was the most concerning of my dreams to date....my son as a little boy had found a pistol....and then it landed in a container of muddy water..i don't know if it was thrown or put there....but my dad picked the gun up out of the water container and put the gun in his mouth and shot himself. and then i woke up...concerned. could someone help with interpreting this dream?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 50, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Re: need help

Helene,
Does your theraphy involve sexual abuse as a child? Your partial dream suggests this, perhaps having to do with your parents in some way. If you will post the complete dream as best as you can remember {with the involvement of your mother} then perhaps I will be able to better help you with the dream. If in fact there was sexual abuse in your childhood the dream may be confronting the unconscious aspects that is now causing a need for your theraphy.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Re: Re: need help

thanks...but unfortunately..when I wake from my dreams, I do not remember them in entirety only the major scene tends to stand out in my mind, i only know my mother was present, but do not remember how. to my knowledge there was no sexual abuse as a child...but there was demonic sexual abuse through my former involvement many years ago with the occult, which i am still working through spiritual issues in therapy...much thanks

i am grateful to have found a dream site...most of my dreams i have a conscious awareness of their meaning,,,but this one has me confused..and concerned. you certainly have given me food for thought

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 50, USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} f

Re: Re: Re: need help

Helen,
Thanks for the response. I should have asked if there had been any sexual abuse in your life, not just your childhood. The pistol, or gun, is a common symbol for the phallus and taken in the context you stated in your dream gave the impression of some type of sexual abuse. Of course knowing you were undergoing analysis lent itself to something more than just an ordinary waking dream. Putting the gun into the mouth can also be interpreted as a sexual act {oral}. Being shot would an indication of self-inflicted wounding
of oneself. Being female you blame the masculine for these wounds, not just males in your life but also your own masculine qualities that may unconsciously force you into things that your feminine qualities would reject.

How your dad fits into the dream is something you may want to look into. The stimulus for that prompted you
to get involved with a cult may underlye all your problems. The muddy water may indicate unconscious contents that are not clear, and that may stem from earlier life experiences.

Food for thought is actually what this site tries to provide. I may get close to much of the meaning of a dream but the actual life experience and meaning can only be determined by the dreamer. If you will put some effort in understanding Jung's approach to dreams, with what you already intuitively understand about them, you will come away with a better understanding of how the unconscious works. By examining your dreams you are examining the inner life, all aspects. Dreams depict your true condition, beyond what the ego will want to admit.

As for the spiritual aspect of dreams, Jung believed that we all possess a spiritual aspect. For a scientist {Jung was a practicing psychologist} this seems strange to many in a world of pure reality. Besides the shadow, the masculine/feminine aspects, and the mana or superior aspects Jung determined there was indeed a spiritual/creative aspect that when recognized provided a more balanced and
harmonous life. This is the true self in full blossom. It goes beyond religion, it is a connection to nature itself. If you have not studied Buddhism
and Gnosticism I suggest that you do. Both deal with the psychology of the self. You will be enlightened beyond what any Western religion could ever provide.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

thank you

Gerald,
I would like to say thank you....You are very perseptive, and yes you are very right about it being a self inflicted spiritual wound. I can know connect your interpretation about my dream as a direct result to something that happened before I went to sleep last night. Yes, it is my masculine qualities or what I subconscious see as my masculine quality- maybe mistakenly and that part of myself that I am rejecting sexually.

You are also right that I have to look deeper into how my dad fits into this dream and what part he has played in my childhood and throughout my adult life and how that relates to the men in my life. I was naive about the spirit world.and in denial of waht was going on in my life spiritually..it all relates at least on the surface to wanting a male connection and wanting a spiritual connection. the experience has taught me a lot about myself and my spirit and the entities that exist and my own innate abilities.

My psychoanalyst believes in all aspects of this world-the material, emotional and spirit world as I do and I am greatful for being lead to him when I was ready. In relating to me, he is also leading me to learn more about Jung, God, self and the spirit world. thanks again...cause I have a lot of odd dreams.... have a good day...helene

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 50, Connecticut

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Hi Helene,
I was looking at the context of your dream and it seemed to me that you were not involved. Was it like you were watching a movie? Projection?

You said you have been undergoing analysis for quite a while, with a man that you obviously trust and work well with. Has he been teaching you how to analyse your own dreams? If so, then you should be well on your way to understanding how dream interpretation works. Doesn't he have your full personal history, dream themes and your progress with your psychological development? If so, what compelled you to post your dream on this site, to people that know nothing about you, rather than discussing it with your analyst? Or maybe you have and you didn't like/agree with the answer? Maybe there is a logical reason like he is on holidays - I don't know.

Helene, there is no need for you to respond to my questions on this site, but you should at least reflect on them. Maybe you already know the answers why. I didn't intend to insult you or Gerards interpretation in any way and hope you look at my posting as a constructive comment. Cheers, Stephen G.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Sydney Australia

help

stephen,
I have a feeling that i missed your last thread, but that is ok....I'll check after I respond to this one..

No, i was not involved in the dream..it was like i
was watching a scene in a movie. the dream was on mind this am before going to work and it was odder than my usual dreams...and my analyst is not available but he will know..

i liked the interpretation that Gerald gave me because it did clear up this strange dream and connect it back to reality for me...as to what really caused it to occur...

as for the real reason, but remember it may not be logical.....i posted on this site...is that i seek answers and this site intrigued me...when i came across it the other day researching a recurrent dream that I have. I seek answers on many things and the computer is one of my mediums...as are interactions with people.

your inquistiveness actually put a smile on my face and laughter....the directness is refreshing...

as far as him teaching me about my dreams....he says the answer is within myself...to look within....and to trust my spirit and intuition.

helene

Hi Again,
I'm glad you took my posting in a positive light. See, you had all the answers. I don't know if your analyst has imparted the different aspects of the father to you, but in dreams they can be one of four categories,
1. Cultural Expectations
2. Personal Father
3. Intrapsychic
4. Archetypal

Only you know which one.

Cheers, Stephen G.

would like help

stephen,
could you please explain the four categories as far as they represent my father to me? or direct me to the places where i can learn for myself..i haven't a clue as to what the categories represent...we don't talk about dream analyzation means very much...never have a enough time during the weekly session...so much to learn and reflect on...helene

Hi Helene,

The Father is a big topic and Jung wrote plenty on the subject. But in a nutshell;

1. Cultural expectations - relate to what society deems a Father to be, pertaining to your culture. What it mean today to be a modern Father. What you read, see on tv, experience out on the street.

2. Personal Father - your relationship with your Father, what experieinces and situations you encountered, what attitudes or beliefs you adopted from your Father.

3. Intrapsychic - Your Father complex either positive or negative. Too big a subject to cover here.

4. Archetypal - Easiest way to describe this is the Father character in dreams, myths and fairy tales, personified as the Elder, the King, the Father in Heaven, as lawgiver he speaks with the voice of collective authority and is the living example of the Logos principle: his word is law, guardian of the status quo etc. Good description in Archetype Revisted by Anthony Stevens.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the image of the Father in a dream can represent someone as a Father figure. Cheers, Stephen G.

Re: Re: Re: need help

Hi Helene
Sometimes a useful way to access dreams is to rerun the dream slowly and feel the feelings - do this somewhere safe and peaceful for you - consider the feelings and then ponder "why do I feel like that about ,,,,,"

remembering dreams becomes easier with practice - no need to force, just take some time in the morning before engaging in the days activities - in the shower, sitting to have breakfast - sit quietly (no TV, radio) and reflect - a biut like catchng butterflies
JC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Brisbane / Australia

Re: Re: need help

Thanks stephen,

Just by the way...my analyst interpreted the gun as phallic---but now it seems that all my dreams are all interconnected to each other...repression of my sexual side. so its back to therapy and finding ways not to be repressed....which is my stuggle all along...and exploring my spiritual side.

will look up on the net archetype revisited...thanks

Hi Helene,

Thanks for your update. I wish you success with your inner work. Cheers, Stephen G.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present