Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deja vu

I am not asking about a certain dream as such right now. Lately I have had a number of dreams in which I have a sense of having dreamed the same dream twice. Sometimes it feels like a message - "this is the second time I am telling you this." kind of thing.
thanks for any ideas you can give

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Deja vu

Hi Mary Jane
you have put it perfectly, "this is the second time I am telling you this".
Dreams / dream themes have a tendancy to repeat until we get it (or if we surpress or ignor it it 'pops out' somewhere else unexpectedly or uncharacteristicly).
it would be interesting to look at the dream, perhaps write ti down
JC

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Brisbane / Australia

Re: Re: Deja vu

Mary Jane,
I agree ith Justin. If a dream repeats itself it often is the unconscious wanting to get your attention about a certain aspect that has not been properly acknowledged. As Justin suggested perhaps posting the dream for interpretation at the Forum will provide insights to the dream message.
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Deja vu

Subject: Re: Deja vu
Name: Justin
Date Posted: Jul 5, 05 - 5:46 PM
IP Address: 60.231.234.114
Email: jcdreams@mac.com
Age & Location 46
Gender - Male or Female m
you have put it perfectly, "this is the second time I am telling you this".
Dreams / dream themes have a tendancy to repeat until we get it (or if we surpress or ignor it it 'pops out' somewhere else unexpectedly or uncharacteristicly).
it would be interesting to look at the dream, perhaps write ti down
JC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Re: Deja vu

Opps! A mistake with my message. Anyway. Thanks for the responses. I do record my dreams so I will post the most recent one. I will not add any explanations to it as of yet except to say that Bev is an old friend whom I haven't seen for a long time. I don't really want to either. Also, lately my dreams often include characters from books I am reading or movies I have seen.

I dreamed about a basement or a back yard that is being worked on. It is dark. I am walking on wooden boards to stay above the mud. The work is helter-skelter and not progressing well. I am talking to a man that looks a bit like Rumboldt in “Are You Being Served” except nice and not silly. He is my friend and wants to be Bev’s lover. He is telling me that maybe he likes me instead. She is very flighty and comes and goes a lot. He doesn’t know when he will see her. I am happy just to sit there and lean against him. We move around a bit, as if a kiss is a possibility (very much like a scene in the Tom Robbins book I am reading)
The neighbor’s basement is half done. I go there to see if I can find out when Bev is coming or what she is doing. A much better atmosphere although still night or darkness. There is a friendly couple – parental figures, also like the ones in Tom Robbins book. This work is much better organized and tidy. There are cupboards up with light blue and mauve letters on white. The man there looks like the young Polish man from Under a Tuscan Sun.

Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Mary Jane,
A quick look at your dream.
The basement and backyard are both symbols for unconscious contents, and so is the dark. You are apparently 'working' on some aspect within your unconscious that needs/wants to be acknowledged. You are having a difficult time making that acknowledgement.

In the unconscious the man who looks a bit like Rumboldt {I am not familiar with this character even though I did do a quick Google search} is probably a masculine aspect. The similiarities between the Rumboldt character and those aspects you possess may have some value to its meaning. This aspect is a 'friend'. He wants to be more intimate with other parts of your psyche {who is Bev and what part does she play in your life?}. This masculine aspect may be telling you 'it' prefers something more than a 'flighty' personality that comes and goes. This may be important.

The neighbor is most likely another aspect of your psyche, next to you but not you. This is an unconscious aspect also and seems to involve Bev. You still can not see clearly this aspect within you. Or perhaps you can not see yourself being what Bev is. There is a better way. Organized and authorative. But this aspect is hidden {cupboards}. The meaning to the young Polish man {Under the Tuscan Sun} may be better understood by comparing this person {in the book} to the qualities you possess {or perhaps wished you possessed or should possess}.

There seems to be an unconscious connection to the Bev. Your masculine side {Rumboldt} seems to prefer a less flighty type. I suggest you analyze
your relationship to Bev {as an aspect related to your persona}. Perhaps certain traits she possesses have influenced you in some way that offends your masculine side. If you have contineous dreams about this matter it must be important. Also the characters you mention in your dream may have bearing on the matter. These are most likely symbols for your masculine side. Their cahracter qualities may provide clues to your own masculine side and give more info about the preferences the dream seems to be trying to communicate.

Let me know what you come up with and we may get closer to tme dream message.
Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

hi mary jane,
just a little extra info on, "are you being served,
"the location for the programme ,
a department store,
the clothing department,
and owned by the graces,
this particular aspect of the dream could ,as has been stated represent your personna aspect.
mr rumbholt,was the store manager so again as has been stated, a masculine aspect.
i now hang my head in shame,at knowing so much about this programme.
regards steve

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49 england

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Thank you, gentlemen, for your ideas. You have certainly made me think.
Steve, don't hang your head too low. After all, I am the one with these characters popping up in my dreams!
There is a lot for me to sort out here. There is another dream in a department store. But, first, i will deal with the characters.
Mr. Rumboldt as an authority figure. I have been, in the past, an organized, and authoritative person. I have let that go somewhat and I am not sure I want to have it back or not, although it often makes life much easier.
Bev is confusing. And old friend, sort of. She was vivacious, pretty, popular but also superficial and, as I said, flighty and unreliable. She just didn't think about what she did. (Are those two opposites or what?) But she had a lot of fun.
In truth, I probably want both in the appropriate places.
Two days ago, I dreamt about these same "Are You Being Served" characters. I was gettin my eyes 'fixed'. A different doctor for each eye. But it was in a department store and I had to wander around and find each doctor. Once, while I was waiting, I went to the next store which I could see through the glass walls and looked at summer clothes. I felt sheepish when the 'doctor' came back. Then he said, "I don't look at pretty dresses anymore. Not since..." I had a sense of a tragedy, as if his wife died or something.
And then I was awakened by a screeching cat.

I think these dreams are related or am I complicating matters?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

hi mary jane,
jung stressed the importance of looking at a series of dreams,and yes yours could be connected.
department stores are a pretty good metaphor for the psyche and its contents.
i did wonder if the title "are you being served" had any significance.
are you living out of your own life,or are you doing what is required of you ?.
i say this in response to your,"i don't look at pretty dresses anymore",you are telling yourself this,via your inner healer,the doctor.
have you sacrificed a part of your feminine identity,to a more masculine aspect,because of what has been required of you,or a past negative experience?
balance is the key.
regards steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

This forum is very good. The responses make me think and look at the dream in detail.
In this case, I think there is more than one level of meaning perhaps. At least, of all the important matters that are on my mind, this one is essential but I wouldn't have said important. Does that make sense?
anyway, the particular episode that I had watched of "Are You Being Served", that had prompted the dream, had Captain Peacock's wife trying to make him jealous by spending time with Mr. Rumboldt. Peacock was not obviously jealous but angry and defensive about his actions that had caused the friction in the first place.
You see, I do wear dresses and colorful clothes but there are 2 women in my life who are upset by it because they don't have the confidence to do this and they often comment on it. I feel defensive and guilty like I am flaunting my feminity or my confidence. My old friend Bev was like that - flaunting, I mean.
One of these people is my daughter. She is right next door to beautiful if she wasn't very overweight. I don't want to hurt her or make her feel bad but I have decided, tentatively, that it isn't something that I can do anything about. And I can't live in jeans and T-shirts for her. That is stifling myself.
Maybe this is a more immediate topic than I thought because raising her has been stifling. She has had a lot of problems and they have dominated my life. She is now 21 and I am trying to crawl out from under the responsibility and give it to her. Tough love also requires an authoritarian attitude - something that I am not that good at doing.
It is funny how a basically silly show can prompt these kinds of reactions. However, that is one of my favorite themes. The stories we love to watch are always speaking in some way to the human condition. Joseph Campbell has been one of my gurus, as it were, as well as Carl Jung. I could wish for a different story though. But the library has the collection of it on DVD and my daughter is determined to watch them all!!
So, you have really hit the nail on the head, Steve.
This is getting to be a long post but I have to tell you of the dream I had last night.
Grace Bros. again and there was an investigation going on. The staff were required to wear spacesuits. Captain Peacock protested and management laid down the law. It seemed that their lives were threatened. Then, a screen came up, just like the intro screen on the DVD, with a multiple choice question on it. Who was it, it said. The answer was all of them and the surprise woke me up.
The answer seemed to include only the men which puzzles me a bit. Men, in general, have been a recurring theme in my dream. I am not sure i want that analyzed.
It is time to quit talking. Thanks for the input.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

hi mary jane
your last dream says a lot,
and i have to say,
joseph campbell and carl jung,two of the greatest sages of our time,
regards steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Hi, Steve,
What do you know about the animus figure? Your questions have been very useful in figuring out some of these dreams, but the references to the masculine side are not really ringing any bells.
In my reading the animus is a means for a woman to express herself in the outside world. It is a connection to be sought after.
However, my experience doesn't reflect that. I have raised two kids by myself for the last 15 years. I certainly was doing what was required instead of what I desired, but if that was the animus predominant, then it isn't what I understand it to be. I would have said that I was fairly balanced between the male and female sides even though, if I saw myself in a dream, I was usually male. I did put relationships on a back burner, except for with my kids, most of the time. Having a social life seemed a complication more than anything. I was attending university a good part of that time, a bit here and there. It took me 7 years to get my degree.
How could I be exercising that male side without becoming friends with it, as it were? That is what my dreams seem to be saying that I should be doing. Now I'm confused.

hi mary jane
in the last part of your dream you mentioned,the intro screen question,the answer being ,it was all of them,the males,this woke you up..
jung stated that, the animus often appears as multi male figures in dreams,this would reflect the department store characters,as it is predominantly run by the males,with the females taking a lesser role.
this could also reflect your role in bringing up children by yourself, as you would have to play the role of a father aswell,
only you can decide what fits,but from what you have said,the role you have had to play,up to now, has been a balancing act,with the masculine traits (animus)tipping the scales slightly.
it is something you have had to do, in order to cope,
i have brought up three girls by myself,so i know what it takes.
hope this is of use
regards steve.

Mary Jane,
I will take a longer look at your response and new info you have provided this weekend. In the meantime I suggest you read the links at the left column to help you better understand the Jungian approach to dreams. It will help you better associate interpretations of symbols to the possibilities in your life. The Forum is not only for dream interpretation, it is a learning forum. One intention of my requiring visitors to register is to get them more involved in seriously learning about their dreams, and the dreams importance.

Info From the MDS main page
The Importance of Dreams In Every Day Life
Carl Jung estimated that he interpreted over 80,000 dreams by the time he retired in his 80s. Through these, he surmised that dreams and their universal imagery seemed to follow a pattern among all individuals with whom he worked over time. By learning to observe the patterns within individual dreams and learning to consciously interpret symbolic content, the process of individuation – gaining a higher state of consciousness through a broadened state of awareness – can occur. This enables a person to overcome many personal problems, fears and anxieties while realizing their full potential.

The many references you make to Rumboldt and other characters could help answer some of your questions. But they are also of a more personal nature, something you have a better understanding of since it is your life the dream is about. Basements, the dark, Bev {as possible association to an
aspect of your psyche, even though her qualities may also be of a personal nature}, the flighty description, and other universal symbols provide an interpreter more to deal with. Your response to the interpretation, with new personal information and your commenting on the associations to the symbols by comparing the possibilities offered, provide further insights to possibilities of the dream message. A interpretation is meant to help you better undertsand the dream, and help with the interpretation. This is a learning experience for all.

Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Three girls, steve? Yikes! That was a challenge. I have a boy and a girl.
Yes, I have much to think about and as you said Gerard, learn. I look forward to any further input you can give and will read up on the stuff on the side bar on women's dreams. etc.
thanks to both of you.

MaryJane

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Mary Jane,
After reading your last dream post, something struck me that makes sense, and may provide a possible explaination of the dream, and perhaps the first dreams also. Here is the dream.

I was gettin my eyes 'fixed'. A different doctor for each eye. But it was in a department store and I had to wander around and find each doctor. Once, while I was waiting, I went to the next store which I could see through the glass walls and looked at summer clothes. I felt sheepish when the 'doctor' came back. Then he said, "I don't look at pretty dresses anymore. Not since..." I had a sense of a tragedy, as if his wife died or something.
And then I was awakened by a screeching cat.

One possible meaning suggested in Soul Future Dream Dictionary for the symbol summer was 'a project or life phase that has reached maturity or its peak'.
Looking at the dream, and the dream charcters in your first dream, the one pattern that emerged was that everyone was old. Summer is the 'peak of season' as suggested in Soul Future's dictionary. Shopping for summer clothes and feeling that you 'don't look at pretty dresses anymore' suggests a pattern. Have you given much thought in recent days/weeks about getting older, becoming that older, 'mature' person {Mr. Rumboldt as an authority figure, a masculine aspect of maturity, independence}. Bev {She was vivacious, pretty, popular but also superficial and, as I said, flighty and unreliable} is that fear of becoming her, or afraid others will look at you in that manner. And is it because you are getting older, losing your youth that produces the fear, anxieties in your dreams. You identify with Bev's shortcomings, perhaps afraid others will have the same opinion of you, or will become like her

Yes! The opposites. It is a fear, common for a woman in the throws of mid-life. We often have hidden fears in our lives. Dreams of being late for work. You know you will not be but the dream highlites the fear {one reason the dreams does this is to help insure you remain attentive, disciplined and always on time as you should be. The compensation aspect of all dreams.}

What is your reactions to that possibility. Getting older, losing your appeal, fears of being less than you are and using Bev as that example? Look at the message in that mold, and/or a mold that lends itself that thinking and let me know your impressions.

Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deja vu

Hi Gerard,
That didn't even seem an important part of the dream but you are right. I have had a fairly sudden confrontation with the prospect of old age. I have developed arthritis severely enough that i can't work full time. Since I have not determined what comes next, all I can see is old age in front of me.
And I had just been shopping with my daughter in shops that were for her, not me.
I am a bit confused about Bev still and I am puzzled about why I needed two different doctors for my eyes but I have been looking at the male figures in my dreams, along with the information on this website. I am sure it will help. One of the doctor's was young (I almost forgot about him) one was older. Makes sense maybe.
Actually, age is a common subject on these shows that we are watching right now, as well. I guess the question is whether I am wallowing in my grief or is there something I need to see.
This has been very helpful. Thank you very much.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51 Canada

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

stats from 7-14-10 to the present