Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
storm and flood

hello Garard,

In my dream, me (female), my sister and a male teacher that I respect were outside and it was windy. The wind kept increasing, turned into a storm and then a tornado. First some palm trees and pine trees were and then some wooden panels and later some wooden houses were swept away by the wind. My sister warned me that after such a tornado a flood would follow and when we looked back we saw the flood approaching. We started escaping by climbing up the stairs of a very tall building. Each time we looked back down the water of the flood was rising up too but it didnt catch us. We kept passing some people on the stairs on our way up and I thought that most of these people these wont survive. I remember seeing two frail, old, western ladies in particular and thinking they wont make it.. I was not panicking as I believed the water level would stop rising by the time we reached the top floor and when we arrived to the roof level (no roof but an open ceiling) it was calm, there was a pool in the middle and the water stoped increasing and became/stayed in the pool. I remember thinking that we and the few people around this pool were the only people left in the world.

thank you

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35

Re: storm and flood

Hi Fish,
Please read my post from today about Dream Interpretations. Thanks.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: storm and flood

Fish,
This is dream that has a stimulus from Katrina.
There is some conflict in your life, something that is rising, chasing you. There are aspects within your psyche that you feel are being neglected because of the attention you are having to put toward this conflict. You are not in panic over these stresses but they are causing you great concern. in your waking life you probably focus on those things that let you forget or at least put aside these conflicts. But the longer you neglect in confronting these conflicts the worse your situation will get {only people left in the world}

What conflicts are 'chasing' you? Most likley you feel as if you are being pushed into a corner, not being able to escape these conflicts. You will need to find a way to resolve these conflicts before they get out of control.
Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Re: storm and flood

Dear Gerard

Thank you very much for your interpretation. It makes a lot of sense. because I had made it to the top without dying in the dream I thought the dream could have been a positive one but I know there are some major conflicts I need to face and resolve in reality.

Just one note; I had this dream more than two weeks ago and hadnot heard of Katrina then.

and if you dont mind me asking: what is your interpretation of the other people in my dream, I never really understood the Jungian interpretation that everybody in our dreams are aspects of ourselves. For example in my dream could my sister and teacher be aspects of myself that I need to work on? Or are they there to help me? any insight would be very much appreciated..

Best wishes

Fish

Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

Fish,
Thanks for the follow-up post. Your questions are well put and I appreciate your asking.

The top can symbolism reaching the point of overcoming obstacles in your life. But often it symbolizes the thinking mind. An example:

A house with many floors uusually symbolizes the different aspects, emotions, layers of the psyche, etc. The top floor, or attic, would be the thinking aspect. The basement would be the unconscious aspect. The deeper underground you go the deeper into the unconscious.

It really depends on the dream imagery when seeking to interpret dream symbols. I believe the top in your dream has more to do with thinking aspect. You even say as much in the last sentence 'I remember thinking that we and the few people around this pool were the only people left in the world'.

As far as other people in a dream, they most often represent aspects of your own psyche. They can at the same time make reference to actual people but it is in a context to the relationship to you, and not about them. If a father, mother, sister or brother, husband, children or someone who is very close appears in a dream then the symbolism could represent the actual person. But again it will be in a context to a relationship to you. Example:

If you dream of your mother and her house is one fire then the symbolism of the mother would hold true. The fire could symbolize symbolize passion, anger, sexuality, revolution, danger, etc. These feelings would be directed at your real mother.

But even when siblings or relatives are present in a dream they can symbolize other things beyond their actual selves. It really depends on the whole dream. You have to look just beyond the symbols to the
motifs. This is where experience in Jungian dream psychology is important, knowing how to look at symbols in context of a dream and determine what role they play in the dreamer's waking life. Jung says, and I concur, that dreams have at least two meanings. So the mother in yoiur dream can represent your actual mother and at the same time symbolize an aspect of your own psyche. Confusing isn't it?

After 12 years of studying Jung and others I have achieved an ability to read these symbols. It takes an intuitive sense to do so. And an understanding of Jungian dream psychology. I am not unique in this ability. Those with enhanced intuitive abilities, and an education in Jungian psychology, can do just as much.

If you have other questions or comments please post them. You more questions that are asked the more we all learn.

Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

thank you very much for your in depth answer,
when I was talking to a Jungian therapist once
and she said Shakespeare wouldn’t be Shakaspeare
if he just told what he wanted to say would he,
and there I started to appreciate the confusing
but wonderful nature of our dreams more..

I would like to ask another question! I am in a
significant phase of mylife and therefore am having
very vivid dreams everynight, sometimes several times
a night. I note all of them and try to interpret them
using mythsdreamssymbols.com as much as I can.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can make the
most out of what my subconscious is trying to tell me
(and that’s another big question; do you believe
the dreams have the purpose of showing us the way
out or what needs to be addressed)

if yes what would be the best way to get help
from my dreams. They are all very different,
some are very positive and some are very negative,
and I cant see the pattern..I have thought of
visiting a Jungian therapist but I am not aware of
any in my city (Istanbul)

thank you & best wishes
Fish

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35 istanbul

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

Fish,
A very good question about how to better understand what your dreams are trying to tell you. You are very wise to give time and energy to trying to discern these issues at the beginning of your mid-life instead of later. You are at the head of your class.

Since your dreams are about you and your life, past, present and future, the best way to understand what the dreams are wanting to convey is to look at your life, past, present and future. Dreams are one componet of the Individuation Process, a self analysis, a self discovery, analyzing your own psyche and life, discovering what truths lie underneath the conscious ego-centric personality, and life. Dreams present to you the true conditions of your life, whereas the waking ego has bias that often hide what the ego doesn't want to acknowledge. If you look at your life openningly and thoroughly, without the bias of the ego, you see those things that are not available to the conscious eye. That is what dreams do, as the third person if you will, looking at your life through eyes other than that of the ego-centered self. The language of dreams are of symbols and metaphor. But if you analyse your life from the very beginning to the very present, and match the metaphors to that life, you will see the corresponding links. Often there are hidden aspects, sometimes trivial, sometimes very profound. And because of the ego bias you may not see what those things are. The dream does it for you, without the bias.

Let me give you an example of the dream and corresponding waking experiences of someone I knew years ago {a woman in her mid 40s, deep into the mid-life stage}.

She had several dreams about being in her house, going from floor to floor looking into all the rooms. She was able to access all of the rooms except one. Then one night in her dream, as she was explorong each of the rooms, she came upon the room she could not gain access to. But this time there was a small window that she could look through and see into the room. But she could not see clearly.

She told me of these dreams and gave me some personal information about her life. After some thought on my part {this was still early in my Jungain education in dreams } I explained that the house was her, physically and psychologically. The rooms were the different aspects/stages of her life, not only in the present but also of her past {Jung tells us that dreams have at least two meanings, often with one meaning having to do with the present everyday waking experiences, and a second concerning the deeper aspects, those accumulated life experiences that have not been acknowledged and properly dealth with}. We compared the dreams with her present waking life and were able to match the rooms. The one room she could see into was a part of her waking life that she was denying. As time went on she began to give thought to this one aspect, thus the dream with the room having a window that let her loosee into it. After we had discussed this dream and her waking life, she had a dream that very night where she was able to go into the room that had previously been locked. She saw things about herself that she had hidden.
When she awoke the next morning she began to give thought about that one aspect that she was denying and she was able to see what it was she was hiding. The dream corresponded to her waking life and once she was given direction of how dreams function she was able to see what the dreams were trying to convey about her current waking life.

But that was not all that her dreams were trying to tell her. We talked some more about her past life and her struggle in her mid-life years. After some indepth conversation we were able to match the rooms in her dreams to the various stages of her life, her spiritual journey {there is a spiritual aspect within all of us} as well as the past experiences that led up to the present life. By looking at the deeper aspects of the dream see was able to see some of those experiences and events that help form who she was in the present.
A sad note. Unfortunatley she was unable to substain her inner search and suffered terrible physical and personal consequences. She lacked discipline. And from my point of view her spiritual search became too religiously oriented which resulted in her giving too much trust to others and not listening to her own inner voice. She did not heed the call. She was stuck in the departure stage and refusal of the call to adventure. This is were most people fail, refusing to give up the purely ego-centered material life so to venture into the realm of the inner life where truths about that life are stored. By in large this is America Carl Jung made the statement in the 1920s that America was a neurotic nation}.

If you want to better understand your dreams you will need to take time to better understand your life. Once you begin to do that you will begin to look at your dreams a bit differently, not only as to what they are saying about your waking life and the past, but the possibilities you need to consider for the future. Dreams are an intrical part of assessing one's whole life. Dreams are you, and you are the dream.

If you have questions please post them. I definitely would like to hear back from you about any connections you come upon from the associations of your dreams that correspond to your waking life conditions. Understand that Individuation is a long process that requires a lot of discipline. But the boons/rewards are worth the sacrifice.
I hope this has been of some help.

Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

Dear Gerard

Thank you very very much for your very helpful answer and all the insight. And thank you especially for your encouragement. I am determined to sustain my inner search as I know I couldnt live otherwise. It may sound like a contrast but after observing many people who started looking inward and then got confused (like the lady whose dream you mentioned) and others who are very capable but frozen with fear of looking inside I started thinking actually one needs a strong and healthy ego to be able to sustain this very demanding process. I know the ego usually gets in the way of interpreting the dreams objectively as you have mentioned but at the same time those with weak egos don’t seem to be able to sustain the process. I am very new to Jungian ideas so I might have got it wrong but would you agree that when you said ‘she lacked discipline’ this also has an ego component? If yes then process becomes twice as hard, as in my case, as I am trying to build a healthy ego while trying to understand myself.

I do have another question but it is not about dreams, so even if you cant reply to that I would be very grateful if you could recommend a book on the subject if there are any.. I would like to learn more about what Jungian psychotherapy thinks about the messages from our bodies. I have met many people who are super healthy and fit although they have many issues, and in my case my body always gives me strong messages when my life is not going right. And now although as I feel as if I am at the head of my class in some aspects my body keeps telling me otherwise..I think I would do better if I could understand (!-maybe that’s the problem!?) my bodies messages while trying to understand my dreams in this process…

Thank you very much Gerard, you have been very helpful.

Fish

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35 Istanbul

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

Fish,
I am glad that I have been able to help. The path to self discovery is a difficult one and if I have provided any insights to help you in your journey I feel the times spent is the most valuable I could give.

As for the ego. Joseph Campbell equates the death and resurrection motif as one that we all have to experience sometime in life. Mid-life is one of those times. Campbell stated that not only must the ego go through that process, it must thoroughly annihilated. The ego must learn to succum to the higher Self, forgo the distructive temptations of the body and mind and live life in the moment. This takes a lot of discipline, time and courage. If you are looking for a time frame Campbell suggested 10 years. As in any journey there are obstacles that may seem insurmountable. But by staying the course, the hero/heroine path, seeking that inner self that lives from creativity and the spiritual will that is accord with nature, the destination becomes less important and the journey one's true endeavor.

Yes, the psyche does sense messages given from the body. The psyche is the totality of mind, body and spirit. They may have separate desires at times but they are one organism capable of communication. Paying attention to the subtle messages from the body will enhance the life. But the body and mind are influenced by the desires that are often destructive. The ego is the head of the body, thus the need to restrain the ego. The body is the temple, and is capable of being a shrine if you take it as a part of the whole and not something that is separate, to be abused and neglected. Most people do not understand the capabilities of the psyche. Just as with the intuitive abilities we all possess, the body too has the ability to communicate. And often it does it in our dreams.

I will give a better explaination later. I hope this answers some of your questions. And please feel free to ask those questions you feel important.

Gerard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: storm and flood

thank you again for your help, there is so much in your answers that I wont ask any more questions and go over them for a while!

best wishes

Fish

stats from 7-14-10 to the present