Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Awoken by fear + pain

The intensity of this dream awoke me, and I would appreciate sny insights.

I was watching myself and another man. They had been told or ordered to stand on what looked like a quickly flowing river. Was it for punishment? unsure. Although it looked like a river the surface was made of rapidly spinning and churning metal gears. It appeared like fluid because the gears were moving so fast. It was very dangerous - if they fell they would be killed. The other an made it look easy, almost saying, 'is this all it is' but he knew it was dangerous and he was just making a point. I was being careful.

He decided to jump, to leave, to escape so we went together. We were pursued by guards and dogs. We were in trenches below the level of the ground and I could hear the guards and dogs above trying to hear us and smell us. So we were very quiet. At this stage I was half awake and could feel my fear. I could feel pure fear - I had pain in my solar plexus area. It was intense fear and pain. I was observing my fear, trying to breath into it, trying to explore it, trying to open into it to find what was underlying it. I was keeping my breath steady. I could hear my heart pumping, and it was not racing. I was feeling the fear and the pain intensely but could not hold it and woke up almost choosing to let go and wake.

Thanks JC

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47 Brisbane Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Re: Awoken by fear + pain

Justin,
The other man is of course 'the other part of you', a masculine aspect. Flowing water could be flowing emotions. Emotions are what make humans different from almost all other species. Life is tough, full of emotions. It sometimes feels as if life is a punishment.

Churning metal gears may be the mental process. Thinking too fast/too much can be dangerous. The other self knows the consequences and his point is you need to be careful not to think too much.

Buddhism speaks of the quiet space within. Campbell tells us we need a quiet place to go everyday, to find that quiet place within. No thinking, just being.

In the trenches, below ground level, you are having these conflicts {the unconscious conflicts}. You want to leave the real world behind {social dragon?} but it is a constant, pursues you where ever you go.

The fear is a part of the path that the hero must face in the world of social duty. It can grip you like no other. Because you have chosen to face the drago head on you will have real fears. Life is full of threats, real threats. Prehaps the greatest test of the hero path is overcoming the fears and 'letting go'. You have to learn to trust the inner wisdom. Remember what Campbell tells us about the hero path. If you stay the path there are the helping hands of fate there to guide you. Put your faith in those helping hands and they will not let you down. Parcifal let his fears keep him from realizing his inner grail. He finally got it right, after he overcame the fears and desires.

Note
Not that this has to do with you, but it does have to do with most. Campbell says the last obstacle that must be overcome is that of sex. How true.

On a personal note that may be of some comfort. With my business I am constantly having to be on top of things to insure I have the work lined up. But because I do all that I can do, when that time comes for a new job to appear, it is there. ALWAYS!!!! I do what is required but ultimately it is those helping hands that keeps my social life successful. And I a required top do less and less. Because I have a firm principle of spiritual discipline {a requirement for all on the hero/heroine path} I know that my actions insure a positive outcome. What goes around comes around. A spiritual life {beyond religion} is what the path is all about, ultimately.
I have been on my path going on 13 years and I know for a fact there are those helping hands. I don't need faith in religious dogma, I have the experience of the spiritual Self.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Justin,
How long have you been on your realized path of the hero journey? Through my experiences I know that there are several repeating instances of each level of discovery. The threshold is not just one event, it occurs many times while on the path. When you think you are at a certain level you come upon events in life that you thought you had transcended. In today's world there are son many new dragons to slay, it is hard to keep track of which dragon belongs to what level. Joseph Campbell said as much just before his transition. His interviews with Michael Toms are enlightening. If you have a chance you may want to buy them.

The Wisdom of Joseph Campbell~ In Conversation with Michael Toms

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your considered replies.
Over the afternoon before this dream I had picked up Robert Johnston's 'He' and just read where it happened to open ,,, about moving from three (ordered, perfection, masculine) to four (wholeness, wholesomeness) - and my dream a few nights before had been about constructing a house in the air. It only had three walls so far, and 'the voice' was telling me about the process of getting the fourth wall to fit. I understood the symbolism yet Johnson really filled it out...'when the fourth element is given honor and dignity it is no longer and adversary',,,, 'man often sees the dark side of himself as feminine' ,,,,, 'to retrieve so dark an element is dangerous'.
I kept browsing and re-read part of the Parsifal myth about the Hideous Damsel, and the Hermit within ,,,, I have read this before about two years ago ,,, 'yeah, read that, makes sense ....' but re-reading it now - wow !! the significance of the mythic tale.
Early this year I changed cities and in a subconsciously aware way (intuitive) isolated myself - I know very few people here, and I have few outside obligations ,,,, I have often thought that I am living like a hermit ,,,, and there it is in the Parsifal myth. It has been about nine months now and I sense change for me - I am close to returning to the world in someway. Probably in my way ,,,
I have met the Hideous Damsel too. I know her well ,,,, another wow.

Mid-life is certainly about internalising the values and motivators that previously were external. Looking at what we were taught and learned in the years before and deciding / choosing what fits with our true nature. The metaphor of re-packing the bags is very apt. This became very very clear to me over the afternoon and evening.
By this stage I was deeply touched by the relevance of the Parsifal myth to my life. It was very assuring. Once again many more pieces of the puzzle dropped into place.

Perhaps this dream had an aspect of warning too - of the dangers of becoming too enmeshed in the mechanics of the unconscious mind. It is possible to do, but it is also necessary to step off. So as you remind me, take some meditative time.

The social dragon is very strong in it's pursuit of me and especially at the moment. My current job ends at the end of the year, and I can stay on. 'Good' jobs in my profession are very hard to come by. However overall it feels that if I do not stay on I would be free for the first time in my life. But it may be an irrevocable step. Perhaps this is why the fear in the dream was so pure / clean. I can see the issues very clearly now. How to negotiate this transition in a way that does not disrespect the folk that have helped me thus far, and prejudice my future is is the challenge.

Wrapping up:
* It is hard to pinpoint the beginning of my awakening - 4 years ? (maybe 5).
* I agree and have experienced the 'cyclic' nature of the levels of understanding, each time clearer.
* Sex - yes. I have recognised it's power. It is the aspect of 'addiction' that I think needs to be broken through, to see it as a symbolic act ,,,
* Happiness is the realisation that I am able to express my true nature ,,,

Thanks, JC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Re: Re: Awoken by fear + pain

Justin,
And thus, in your life, the hero path is about the journey and less about the distination. So many of us who have realized the 'path' have so many dragons to slay. This period of human history is so material/ego oriented that the spiritual endeavors we seek must face barriers from all directions. It is often hard to stay the course. But it was also hard for the hero/heroine of myth. The 'first' Buddhism saying is life is all sorrowful. Knowing this doesn't make it much easier but we have to realize that by staying the course, knowing we are having to slay the same dragons of those who have gone before us, fate will eventually show its helping hands and provide that bliss we seek. At least that is what I am putting my money on.

Gerard

Re: Re: Awoken by fear + pain

Justin,
If you have not already perhaps look into the I Ching. It may help focus your intuitive insight to the current challenge you face.

"How to negotiate this transition in a way that does not disrespect the folk that have helped me thus far, and prejudice my future is is the challenge."

Regards,
K.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Thanks Kathy,
I looked at the I Ching site that gave the readings however it is not accessible now; any other sites that are good?
Justin

Justin,
Perhaps try this link:

Online Clarity

If it still is not available then use three identical coins. Throw them six times each time recording how they land. i.e. heads, heads, tails. Record these from the bottom up as shown below:

6th throw: heads, heads, heads
5th throw: heads, tails, tails
4th throw: heads, tails, tails
3rd: heads, heads, heads
2nd: heads, tails, tails
1st: heads, tails, tails

I'll post the hexagram & Wilhelm's translation here once you post the results.

Thanks,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

stats from 7-14-10 to the present