Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whale

I am standing by the ocean with my mother and another woman (whom I have only met once at a party - so I have no idea why she would be in the dream) and we are whatching a large wahle rise up and down in the ocean. I see a smaller creature that I think is a baby whale that is riding the waves closer to the shore. I ask "is that a shark or a whale". They both decide it is a baby whale that belongs to the larger whale futher out from the shore.

Anyone have any comments on whales generally, or this dream in particular.

Cheers
Anna

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Re: Whale

Hi Anna

Well you have brought up a topic here ,,, (whales),,, symbolically speaking, and I suggest that you will find some answers if you look through some of the material on this site - the Joseph Campbell stuff in particular. Jonah and the whale ,,,

The dream refers to your view of the where you see yourself in the world. On the shore looking out - with your female confrers ,,,
What were your feelings about the 'other woman' ?
Are you yearing to understand teh deeper mysteries of life and how you work?
Is there a degree of hesitancy, almost fear about looking into these deeper matters ? (that part of you says is ok, and the other fears).
I suggest that you are able to tap into, and understand these deeper parts of yourself now - you are ready.

Feedback and let me know if these threads lead anywhere for you.
JC

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Brisbane Australai 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Hi Justin

I am yet to sift through the J.C. stuff yet.. but I have noted that "A whale may symbolize your mother, or feminity in general." Still not sure how this fits in...except i have been through radical changes lately, in both my life and my psyche...and have been doing things - that i regard as "womanly", "feminine" that I never thought I would do...that is, being "conventional" rather than the raving feminist I have always been... Not sure if this fits though.

I don't recall feeling anything about the women actually...I was excited/thrilled to see the whale...amazed in fact...and curious to know of the smaller whale belonged to it..these were the only two emotions.

cheers
Anna

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Re: Re: Whale

hi,
if the large whale represents all that you can be (unconscious potential),
and the baby whale represents that new part of yourself you say you have found,(new born potential)
then i agree with justin that you are being invited to explore the greater part of your self,and evolve,spiritualy speaking,
it has been said that,
our ego consciousness is like, a little boat ,on a vast ocean,that knows nothing of the hidden depths beneath its keel,

as a metaphorical vehicle for an unconscious energy,
the whale is supreme,
it is the master of the enviroment, your inner world,
you will be in good hands,(or flippers),
regards steve.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 50

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m-uk

Hi Anna,

I would encourage you to inquire more through the JC stuff - maybe have a look at the book The Power of Myth.

Your reply is helpful and supports the underlying themes of your dream. The dream is replete with the feminine ,,, in our society we have confused messages and learnings about 'the feminine' ,,,, and 'the masculine' for that matter. I am refering here to 'energies'.

The ocean is the 'ocean of consciousness' - or more descriptively - as we look out over an ocean there are things above the water that we can see and a whole other world below that we cannot see. If we can believe, or if we have put our heads under the water, then we know there is another world under the apparent barrier of the surface.

The whale - lives in and between the two worlds. Breathing air, yet needing the freedom, and weightlessness of the water - inner space one might call it.
Whales are mammals ,,,, I'll let you run with that.
The mother / calf / child ,,,,
Yet you question - and ? because of fear you think the calf is a shark ,,,, perhaps some contemplation here ,, how you feel about 'motherhood'. This may have to do with your feelings toward your own mother, your relationship with her, and hers with you; as well as how you feel about your potential as a mother. These issues may be represented by the women on the shore.

Dreams often speak on two levels - what is going on in the outer ('real') world and also the changes and goings on 'inside'. One will reflect the other.

The baby whale could also represent you - your rebirth as a new kind of being - one that moves between the two worlds.
As Steve said, the whale is a powerful image - and one that has been generated from within you

All the best
JC

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Oh my goodness..that was sooo helpful.

I see its relationship with my inner self that is chnaging...espcially as I am in therapy and have been exploring my relationship with my mother - which has been strained.

And, at the same time...I have questioned the possibility fo having a child - for the first time in my life. It is significant then that i was on the shore with my mother, and I realise now the other woman whom I met at a party was childless...and I think my unconscious picked up on this.

Oh how, apparently, clear...but I will alo explore the J.C stuff.

with thanks to you both
Anna

Simialrly

Thanks for the feedback Anna, it really helps to 'keep the interpretations on track' and validate the relevance of Jung's understanding of the psyche
This is a beautiful dream and a great message from you to you - validating for you, I hope, that you are on the rigth path for you.
Justin

Hi Anna

I had another throught on the whale 'motif' in your dream - prompted by your post, my reflection on a whale dream I had some time ago, my recent readings and reflections on the Feminine and Patriarchy (and the masculine).

The image of the whale might be a great image to carry for a while ,,, for me the whale is a great image of the powerful yet gentle feminine ,,, (+/- the maternal aspects).

Justin

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Brisbane Australia 47

stats from 7-14-10 to the present