Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Woman as Temptress?

Hi All,
A dream from this morning follows.

On a personal (waking) level I think the dream describes unwanted attention from men. Consciously I can not engage in a relationship as it would hinder my Self work. I 'understand' the pitfalls a relationship would manifest at this time. Yet I do not understand the source of the attention. Am I unconsciously projecting and they merely responding? A test of temptation?

On a deeper level, in comparison to Campbells' Heroes Journey, maybe The Woman as Temptress? A 3/24 dream appeared to signal entering Atonement with the Father (Title: Archangel, Annihilation, Pan & Warrier, Love) stage however this new dream gives cause to rethink the prior dream/stage. Included a section of Campbell's work that seems to mesh with the dream. Of course, could be wrong about both.

All insight and thoughts welcome.

Dream:
At a large home, in the kitchen with a woman (Susan Lucci), talking. Door bell, I go upstairs, open door, man dressed in very nice suit, brief case, attractive. Talking while leading him downstairs to the kitchen. See him looking at me, he’s attracted, turn my back to him to rebuff his look, (although I am attracted to him), making coffee, ask if they want coffee, he says of course he’d like coffee. He’s there to accompany us to ?. We walk up the stairs, leave, person we went to see not there. Back at house, go in door, walk down stairs to kitchen, standing in kitchen.

They stand at the kitchen island, talking about an attractive younger man she was involved with, he heard from the young man's friend. She replies she did nothing, knew he was attracted to her, send him back to his friend and all will be forgotten. He says she led the younger man on. Although he initiated she should not have returned the attention.

Walk out of the house. A Chinese woman in traditional dress on a ferry boat, waiting for me. Board the boat. She’s gentle calm peaceful. She tells me to come with her. She’s driving, just the two of us on the boat, standing next to her. Long journey across the sea, don’t know where we’re going. (chages to night) On the horizon see a beautiful city, an island. Beautiful lights shine from several buildings, white, golden, red. She says it’s Hawaii. Full of joy, have not been to Hawaii before. (back to daylight) She pilots the boat into a large circular harbor. Look left and see a LARGE whale tale, gliding in the water, the whale is diving. Thinking hope she sees it & doesn’t hit it, don’t cut it with the propeller. Then suddenly, I’m stunned, realize there's a whale, a real whale, in the water next to us. Then see another, slightly smaller, it too just the end & tale, diving. I’m in awe – so large yet gentle, graceful, long slow movement, beautiful.

She continues on, following the circular coast, drawing closer. Then pulls up along stone steps. My eyes follow the steps up to a traditional Buddhist temple. I exit and stand on the stone step. Know I am home. We smile and say farewells, she pulls away as I turn walking up the steps to the temple.

-----------------------------------------------------
From The Heroes Journey by Joseph Campbell:

"The crux of the curious difficulty lies in the fact that our conscious views of what life ought to be seldom correspond to what life really is. Generally we refuse to admit within ourselves, or within our friends, the fullness of that pushing, self-protective, malodorous, carnivorous, lecherous fever which is the very nature of the organic cell. Rather, we tend to perfume, whitewash, and reinterpret; meanwhile imagining that all the flies in the ointment, all the hairs in the soup, are the faults of some unpleasant someone else.

But when it suddenly dawns on us, or is forced to our attention that everything we think or do is necessarily tainted with the odor of the flesh, then, not uncommonly, there is experienced a moment of revulsion: life, the acts of life, the organs of life, woman in particular as the great symbol of life, become intolerable to the pure, the pure, pure soul.

The innocent delight of Oedipus in his first possession of the queen turns to an agony of spirit when he learns who the woman is. Like Hamlet, he is beset by the moral image of the father. Like Hamlet, he turns from the fair features of the world to search the darkness for a higher kingdom than this of the incest and adultery ridden, luxurious and incorrigible mother. The seeker of the life beyond life must press beyond her, surpass the temptations of her call, and soar to the immaculate ether beyond"

Many thanks,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: The Woman as Temptress?

Hi Kathy

I think this dream is about your inner journey - like a travelogue.

The initial location: 'your life' (home) ,,, you go upstairs (to a higher level of consciousness) and open the door to your masculine side (animus) ,, he is attractive you and he to you ,,, that's natural.
You are not too sure about all this ,,, you are attracted to him yet you rebuff him - is this mirroring your inner realm or outer realm; likely both - both are scary.
Coffee - a stimulant ,,, mmmm ,,,, are you up for it? Did you lead him on ,, by your inner work, did you 'open the door' but then ,,, some subtle ? doubt

Your are in the kitchen (the place where raw ingredients are turned into food) - you are with him in the kitchen. More ruminaltion with your masculine aspects / attitudes to mhe masculine.

The island in the kitchen, perhaps the isolated place where you aredoing your inner work - is the discussion about your inner journey and inner / most inner thoughts ? (this island gives the image of a space within a space).

The chinese woman ? Goddess - she is leading in your travels on the seas of the unknown inner world (from the known / conscious -> unknown / unconscious). Lots of symbolism here I am sure you know - beautiful.

I think this dream speaks of the way the energy wants to move (to the circular harbour) to your inner home.
Along the way there are issues with the masculine ,,

Sounds great - how did it feel
Justin

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Brisbane Australia 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Hi Justin,

Good points. Yes, unsure of the animus. Conscious of balance, the fine line, do not want negative or overly masculine aspects.

Felt mostly calm & peaceful, Zen. At male attraction irritated, then closed off – to shut it down. Discussion between the female and male was tense, didn’t want to deal with it, why I left. Felt peaceful with the woman, in good hands, totally trusting. Awe -- at seeing the lights and the whales. Moment of concern about the propeller cutting the whale, then relieved they were not hurt. Not trusting the inner feminine, inner knowing? Then Zen again and contentment at the steps of the temple.

The sea journey symbolism….spirituality, the quest, the inner Self, feminine. Perhaps confirming the spirituality I seek comes from the inner journey, the inner Self, emanates outward. Trust the knowing of the inner feminine, the guide… will eventually lead me to this.

Thank you for your insight and thoughts.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Hi Justin,
Just wanted to thank you for your invaluable insight with this dream. The depth of meaning came together this past week. While thinking of this dream & interpretation...a long past dream came to mind, and connection to the goddess made.

Unearthed from the long past dream: distrust in the father, unmerciful; trust in the goddess as the all-powerful, all-encompassing, unconditional love...
"One must have a faith that the father is merciful, and then a reliance on that mercy. Therewith, the center of belief is transferred outside of the bedeviling god's tight scaly ring, and the dreadful ogres dissolve."

Which leads to the goddess of this dream...
"...the hero may derive hope and assurance from the helpful female figure...he is protected through all the frightening experiences of the father's ego-shattering initiation. For if it is impossible to trust the terrifying father-face, then one's faith must be centered elsewhere...and with that reliance for support one endures the crisis..."

I find the two whales, one larger, one smaller following, point to diving into the deep unconscious for the past dream. And a follow up examination of the past dream in relation to current Self. The fear of propeller cutting the first large whale...fear the original interpretation would be invalidated with this new examination. However, the goddess navigates and the new examination validates the original adding much depth to the interpretations.

Through the goddess will come at-one-ment, then transcendence...the temple on high.

Also of interest...the past dream is from March 2001, the Psyche is all knowing of the path. I can not help but be in awe.

Again...thank you!

Kathy

Re: Re: The Woman as Temptress?

Hi Kathy

Thank you

JC

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Brisbane Australia 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

stats from 7-14-10 to the present