Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ever smelled your dreams?

I have been having the weirdest dreams lately. While I won't go into details about the dreams, I am wondering if it is possible for your other senses (not just your eyes and ears) to be active.

In one dream I went to a bar with my (extremely religious) father, and after one drink of red wine, I felt the disorientation of drunkenness. --I don't drink, nor do I do to bars.

In another dream, I smelled a smell I haven't smelled since I was in my teens. (some sort of flower or perfume).

I have felt wind on my skin during flying dreams, and water on my face.

I have even heard my voice audibly, as if I were talking in waking life (talking in my sleep, maybe?)

But more than once I have felt cold, hot, drunk, dizzy, pressure, throbbing sensations**, and smelled all sorts of exotic scents only to wake and find myself alone in my bed, most often in the same position and state in which I fell asleep.

My family thinks I am nuts.

Once I had a dream that I cut school (ca. 1800's) and me and three friends decided to go fishing and fell asleep in our boat. We awoke to find ourselves adrift on the river which was filled with Sea Grapes floating in the water. The colors all around us were tropical and vibrant, the water was cool, clear and refreshing. The heat from the sun was on my face and head. I could feel schools of fish swim between my fingers when I reached my hands through the waters. I could smell the flowering vines as they hung from the trees and floated on the tops of the waters and that "water smell" that humid air carries. I could hear bees and gnats buzzing by and feel the itching of mosquito bites that got me while I was asleep and water dripping from my hair onto my shoulders after I had stuck my head in to get a drink and see what was on the river floor (on a dare from one of my companions). But most importantly, I could taste the sweet and tangy flavor of those nearly golf ball sized grapes.

It was as if I weren't dreaming, but re-living a past event.

(I woke the next morning to find that my mother had just begun-the day before-a book about a little slave girl from the carribean that had run off and survived off Sea Grapes. I had never heard of Sea Grapes before I had the dream and I still didn't know what they were until I had told the dream to my mother, who, after a shocked silent stare, told me what she was reading and told me that is probably what they were. To this day, I still haven't heard anywhere else of Sea Grapes.)

And when I recall that dream, I can still recall the sensory perceptions as if I just dreamed it yesterday. It was over 16 years ago that I had that dream.

That was my first Sensational Dream, but I have had many more, after which, I can hardly get over and must run to tell a friend or family member. And each time they remark on how unusual it is that I could actually smell or taste something or feel something that is usually only felt woke.

Has anyone else out there ever experienced this?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 33``ATL

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Ever smelled your dreams?

Hi Katchi,
I too sometimes experience sensory perception while dreaming…Usually it’s only one physical sense at a time. Most often it’s touch or smell. I do talk aloud while dreaming, sometimes a mumble, sometimes it’s a full on conversation. I grew accustomed to waking in the morning with my ex staring intently at me and listening. Felt like a lab rat in a research study…

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kathy:

I guess that I am luckly in the regards that no one is usually around to hear my REM-babble. But the dream I actually heard myself in was a nightmare--and the sound of my voice made my dream fade to black, as if I had gone inside myself, and I quickly emerged into another scene, another nightmare added to and reflective of the first!! I was in the act of calling the police, scared that I would be too afraid to talk, over the phone from my kitchen (well, actually the Hollowell's kitchen from "Charmed"). And when I began to speak to the operator, I heard myself. My next dream sequence was of me lying in my bed next to my boyfriend. I turned to look toward the closet, which was closed, but it had clothes all over it on hangers. I was noticing that one of the shirts hanging didn't look quite right as it hung from the top of the door frame as a very tall an menacing man stepped out from behind it! I screamed for my boyfriend to wake up, shouting his name over and over, but he would only mumble, "what...? huh...?" Just as the huge dark man approached my bed I woke up screaming my boyfriend's name. And the "drunk" dream was a nightmare as well. But most of my extra-sensory dreams aren't nightmares or hellish.

Usually I dream in full color (I was surprised when I heard most people usually dream in black an white) and one sense is heighten, like my hearing, or touching, but when all of them are heightened, as in the Sea Grapes dream, I never forget the experience. It is as if I am recalling a memory. I had begun to research life progressions and reincarnation based on that dream, but I never got anywhere with it.

Have you noticed any common denominators in your spoken/sensory dreams?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 33 and loving it, in ATL

Katchi,

For me nearly all dreams are in Technicolor, rarely B&W. To correct myself, I always have vision, hearing and usually touch during dreams. Rarely smell, even less taste. Although taste would be rarest in my dreams as mouth contact is infrequent.

Haven't looked for common denominators in regards to sensory perception/speech during dreams. Good idea, I'll make note to be aware on recall.

If the ex partners are accurate speaking aloud is fairly common for me. My daughter also speaks aloud while dreaming. Bob didn't, Dave did only when dream content contained conflict or stress situations.

Another question that comes to mind is 'collective' dreaming. Is there such a term or recorded experience? Many years ago Dave and I both dreamt the same dream at the same time. This happened twice, the second dream different from the first. I'd forgotten about that...at the time I'd chalked it up to coincidence.

Many thanks,
Kathy

Hey Kathy!

I, too, have wondered about those collective dreams. I haven't had the exact experience myself, but my cousin, the father of her children and I all had dreams of a similar nature one night.

She had a dream of a box. The box was comprised of small video screens (like a rubix cube only instead of colors, they were screens.) The box had the unusual feature of being able to be pulled apart and reassembled by openning and closing the hands. She says that at first all she could see was the hands, then she saw that she was on one of the screens and she could see others on the screens. The hands would open and close and each time a new person would be next to her. At first they didn't know what was going on (everyone had looks of puzzelment on their faces), and after the third or fourth shuffle, they tried to talk amongst themselves to figure it all out. "What's going on?", one person would ask, "I don't know. I have been moving all over--" then the box changes again.

Finally they heard a voice. They still couldn't see who was controlling the box, just the hands. They were like a white light, radiating. The voice said, "You're just going to have to keep doing it over and over until you get it right." She awoke.

Her childrens' father said that he had a dream of being like a super hero. He had been going about rescuing people (one in particular was a little girl in a red dress). At one point, he had to fight against a golden version of himself. After he'd defeated his rival, the guy turned to him and said, "You can't beat me, I'm 40." He walked a way and woke up.

At the same time, I had a dream where there was destruction all around (like the Final Battle - the Last Days) and everywhere bombs were exploding and fires were breaking out. I had been going about trying to save people and realized that it was time I saved myself. I ran for my ride: an astro-plane (a plane that could fly in outer space.) I boarded in what seemed like the front compartment of a private plane and looked out of the window. The Earth, from my view point looked about the size of a saucer. Above the earth were two figures. The tops of them looked like the Michellen Man, the bottom half were like a tornadoes. The tornados (sp?) were rooted in the Earth. I looked on in horror as they were twice the size of the Earth, one blue and the other dark gray. They were fighting. I was afraid that one might reach out its arm and grab the astro-plane that was carrying me to safety. My brother walked over to me and said. "You're safe now, everything will turn out okay," and went over to another seating area on the plane and talked to his friend (my brother and his friend are common in my dreams, although I don't know why, especially the friend, I barely like him at all, but they are always together. When one is present, the other is around somewhere.)

Anyway, I woke with the feeling of Armmageddon on the brain (time is running out, but things will turn out okay, and the ultimate battle is between the all the souls for the souls of all, and between the soul and the self and the soul must win), my cousin woke feeling like we're all just in a constant cycle because we keep doing the wrong things (the whole human race), and her children's father felt like he had to do some kind of great service for mankind, but he had to get pass himself first.

We had these dreams in the same 24 hour period, and none of us discussed our dreams until I awoke (last) and started recounting my dream. For a while we just sat there and stared at one another. Then we wondered how many other people had a "get yourself right"/"help out humanity" dream that night.

But my own personal take on the subject is that people who are close share similar experiences. After a certain time of approximation to one another, they began to "feel" each other's moods and predicaments. (Households of women will attest to the fact that after a while, their cycles sync up.) We tend ot 'tune in' to each other, especially when we are emotionally connected, so while I marvel at your sync'd dream with your spouse, I am not surprised. I totally and whole heartedly believe in the Universal Mind and the Universal Consciousness concepts and anything related to the subjects.

(my sea grape dream and my cousin's box dream made me a believer in reincarnation, too, by the way)

My mom keeps a dream diary (has to be six inches thick). I would love to step into her dream world and see if we had any similar dreams. I don't keep track, rather, if I can recall my dream, I meditate on it all day and try to see if I can decipher it, although I know how much a dream diary would help me in my Self Work. But this forum allows me to record some of them and get a pretty good interpretation of them, too. Plus I get to explore my dreams and discuss them with others. (I love that! I could devote a lifetime to Dream Work!)

This is why I posed this question. I want to know if others are experiencing dream states the way that I am, or the way that my family and friends are.

I am familiar with sleeptalkers. What I am not familiar with is the sensation of the sleeptalker. I have awaken from sleep, jumped up on all fours in the bed and exclaimed, "I LOVE CHEESE!!" and plopped back down into a delightful dream of sliding down on a gigantic rollercoaster into a huge pool of cheese (yes, just like the Kraft commercials, I guess you could say that I identified with the product) But each time I spoke in my dreams, I either woke up first, or because of the sound of my voice, returning to my sleep to finish the dream. I have never had an instant when I have spoken in my sleep and was not aware of it, or spoke in more than one liners. Never mumbles, or occassional word, although maybe a snore or too many. What is it like for you when you talk in your sleep and do you hear your voice or recall that part of the dream when your sleeptalk is recounted back to you by a listener? Do you have any indication of your outerself, your outer environment when this occurs? Does the sleeptalking mostly occur during stressful periods in your life?

And lastly, about the "Univerals" do you recall any instance in your lifetime when you and someone else around you had a similar dream other than the one between you and your husband?

(Ooo, this is fun to learn)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Katchi!

Hi Katchi,
Interesting...were the three of you together the day(s) leading up to the similar dream event? Was there a common denominator like a movie you watched together or conversation on a 'deep' topic? Does your mother interpret her dreams?

Not conscious of speaking aloud while or after the dream. Generally not conscious of the outer self or enviournment except a few specific dreams. These few dreams start with the thought ‘I am asleep “ with momentary consciousness of being asleep then off into the dream. I’ve ‘trained’ myself to recall details so the conscious could be involved. I feel an ‘observer’ hovering above/around watching, recording details. No specific connection between speaking and stress.

Don’t recall other instances of ‘shared’ dreaming.

Possible conscious receptivity to the dream state acts to engage all the aspects of the Psyche as involvement in the dream state. Perhaps conscious can then ‘participate’ in the dream state. Rather like opening a gate, allowing the conscious and unconscious unfettered connection, which may release sensory perceptions, ‘shared’ dreams and the like and also act to further the connection to the collective. All theory of course...Possibly some one knowledgeable on the topics can comment.

You can train yourself for dream recall. It's fairly simple, involves consistent practice. The A Dummies Guide to Dreams link at the top of the page contains information on how to recall dreams.

Kind regards,
Kathy

The three of us were living together at the time and spent a lot of time together. We often had very deep discussions and were often reading or watching something of a spiritual nature. But this was normal for us and has been for years. Actually, I had always felt that our unity was a spiritual bond and not only did it draw us together, but it held us together. It was normal for us to have dreams of a ‘deep’ nature, only we never all received warnings and/or instruction in the same night. Never had we all recalled our dream during the same occasion, and nor had we been so troubled, yet calmed by our dreams at the same instance. In all, though, there seemed like something more divine was at hand and we needed to understand something in it because we were part of it. It was as if we were playing parts in the same movie, although we all had different scenes, it was the same set.

I am not sure if my mother interprets her dreams, however, I know that many times she has come to me and others for interpretation. I am always in awe of the dreams she has shared with me. I am convinced that Angels of the Lord visit her in her sleep and she often times talk with our ancestors. She has had dreams that would make even a king tremble and drop in reverence for the Most High Creator. She has been blessed with the resources that allow her to have the meaning of her dreams be made known. Whether she has made dictionary of her symbols I have yet to come to know, but I sure hope so.

I find it interesting that you “start [dreams] with the thought ‘I am asleep’ [and] with momentary consciousness of being asleep”. I have tried to know when I am asleep, but I when I realize I am sleep, I have the irresistible urge to wake up, then I do. I have tried to remain sleep on some occasions when I have realized that “this has to be a dream”, I have even tried to bring things out of the dreams with me upon waking, (and I do mean holding on tight,) and felt like I was jumping through a portal, only I was merely waking from a dream—no portal, no riches, no extremely nice, no, adorable pair of little red shoes ;-( .

When you said: “Possible conscious receptivity to the dream state acts to engage all the aspects of the Psyche as involvement in the dream state. Perhaps conscious can then ‘participate’ in the dream state. Rather like opening a gate, allowing the conscious and unconscious unfettered connection, which may release sensory perceptions, ‘shared’ dreams and the like and also act to further the connection to the collective. All theory of course...Possibly some one knowledgeable on the topics can comment.” Were you referring to you or me, or were you just relaying a probable theory of the causes of the dynamics of dreaming (—which, no matter which, is still a very profound insight)?

I can recall my dreams, however, not all of them. I feel as though the important messages get through to my waking life enough, so don’t feel the need to recall the dreams each night. However I do have the understanding of “mastery of my world” during sleeping, (i.e., if I am thirsty, I can make a water source “appear”-like a cup in hand, or if I need a safe house during a nightmare, I can always find one, right when I want one.) I always realize I have control, and when things seem to get out of control, I can will myself to wake up. If need be, I can then, having gained my baring, go back to sleep and finish the dream and defeat my enemy, or wake up with an ‘understanding’ between my super-conscious and my conscious, mediated by my subconscious that will allow me to act correctly or make the proper decision in the waken world.

looking forward,
Katchi

Hi Katchi,
Apologies on the late response. Was referring to a possible aspect of dreaming. Have found when conscious attention is paid to Self work and dreams this 'opens' different avenues, both waking and in the dream state, of thought and experience. Although not my theory... a combination of Jung and Campbell, they really have the insight and profound thought, and acknowledgement of the metaphysical aspect of life. I experience the same effect from concentrating on dream/unconscious messages. It’s as if the dream message rests in the conscious so mindfulness results although subtle, an underlying acknowledgement, which effects those delicate changes. It’s wonderful you work with your dreams. This yields deep insight, both personally and collectively. The number of people utilizing the Dream Forum is evidence to similar dream state experiences by many.

I keep a dream journal as it helps my Self work and over time I forget more than I recall. The relentless pull of the external is difficult for me to overcome. Early on I developed a compulsion to achieve…work, work, work… Through Self work I now know this was to keep ‘unacceptable’ emotions and intuition at bay. As a child I possessed deep emotional currents and intuitive insight that confused and startled my parents. I was not permitted positive development or utilization of these natural aspects of Self. To survive I had to repress emotion and intuition, which changed to non feeling, emotional detachment, lack of trust, self protection, etc. [Other childhood experiences also contributed/reinforced these developments.] To compensate, I sought approval and self esteem through work achievement. [Although I must mention the current work achievement I’m involved in has a specific goal of DECREASING future work achievement to devote more time to Self work, Bliss and the Forum. A positive step!] For me the dream journal is helpful identifying and working through issues/complexes like this, measuring progress/regression, and serves as a spiritual compass. Recently found an old dream journal from 1996-01. Interesting that even with fewer than 25 dreams recorded (1996-01) many of the same psychological issues are clearly present in those past dreams. From this came knowledge the second relationship greatly slowed the Self development track, as a dream conveyed lack of psychological development to engage in a relationship and doing so would ‘arrest’ further Self development. At the time had Jungian interpretation been known and utilized ???…hmmm.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback!

Kind regards,
Kathy

My dreams are always in color and sometimes I have other sensory experiences too! Like the smell of coffee, or the sensation of feeling the wind blow. Pretty neat experience!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: m/m

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} f

stats from 7-14-10 to the present