Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dream concerning dead father in law

I believe this dream is concerning message to my husband from his dead father. The father is about 40 years old. He has a black onyx diamond shaped stone that is part of the skin on his left cheek. He is surrounded by four men in grey suits. I ask why he is so tanned and he says he has been in Australia. He is of Cherokee descent and in his life was a master mason. I believe this is in some way a message for my husband to resolve an issue in his life. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Dream concerning dead father in law

Lindy,
If I had more detailed information about the 'message' you believe the dream is wishing to communicate, the relationship between your husband and his father, and other involved personal information {short of lying on the couch} I would comment on that possibility. But you will find that 'Jungians' think less in terms of a message to someone other than yourself as the intent of the dream, and more that the message is to you. Not to say that such a thing could not happen {your dream being a message to your husband from his father} but it would be very rare.

The only reason I give it any consideration at all is because your father-in-law had so much 'metaphysical symbology' in his life. A master mason and of Cherokee descent, those are powerful credentials and if he were indeed a 'shaman', what powers did/does he possess?

Back to the dream. If you look at the dream as being symbolic of your own masculine aspects perhaps you will discover more about the dream, and yourself, than looking at it in other ways {best to do both}. The symbology of the black onyx diamond shaped stone probably has importance. Look at the Dream Dictionaries and see where they may fit in your life's play. And the 4 men in grey suites is definitely something that has meaning. Perhaps there are new realizations presenting themselves to you.
Read about the masculine/feminine aspects from my page Anima/Animus

I sense possibly
metaphysical conotations to this dream. What is the condition of your spiritual life?

Also, look at the dream as it has to do with the husband/father relationship as it has to do with influencing your life. The dream is about you so the influences of the masculine, whether it be an aspect of the self or a actual male in your life or both, will address your state of being, and not your husband.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Gerard,
Will you elaborate on the significance of being of Cherokee descent? Thanks.
Eyes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Eyes,
Native Americans, because of their 'mystical' relationship with nature, have insights that persons not of this heritage lack. Shamans {Native American 'spirit guides'} have insights beyond the normal mind and if his Cherokee heritage involves this wisdom then perhaps the 'gods' are speaking through the dream. Of course this dream is from a female so the dream is about her, more so than about her husband. But the forces of the supernatural can work through others dreams although it is rare. The fact that she mentioned the Cherokee heritage must be taken into account. So to the reference to the master mason which also can have a mystical function. There may be a spiritual aspect related to this dream

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Here is an interesting assessment from Vanderbilt University on the subject of Shamanism and psychiatry that will certify the science of Jung's inclusion of the mystical aspect within the psyche.

Shamanic methods of working with dreams and being conscious and awake while dreaming open new doors in psychological research into the nature and history of consciousness.
Shamans are often compared to psychologists, searching the unconscious for hidden sources of suffering and lost fragments of self. The psychiatrist is often called upon to deal with psychological problems that may create medical emergencies. Interventions along a spectrum from shamanism to interpretation of unconscious conflict may spell the difference between comfort and distress, illness and cure, and even occasionally life and death. Psychotherapists can incorporate “soul journeys” with conventional techniques; a “spirit guide” can pinpoint the source of one's problem in the spirit realm. This journey of soul, sometimes referred to as Shamanic Flight, makes it possible to move beyond limitations of the physical body. Practitioners teaching individuals to soul journey on their own say this process does everything from renewing vitality to helping victims cope with cancer. Most doctors and shamans perform many identical functions; both validate the symptoms, name the disease and prescribe a cure. Shamanism may be one more alternative therapy for chronic illness or it may be an outlet for true healing. The big question is, can such an ancient tradition be transplanted into modern times.

Source: Vanderbilt University Shamanistic Healing

Gerard

Vanderbilt University is located in my hometown, Nashville, Tn.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present