Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stormy Dreams

I've been having dreams (nightly, for about a week) of floating through very still and peaceful waters - and then suddenly facing turbulent waves, undercurrents, and floating debris. The frustrating part of the dream is not so much the abrupt change from peaceful to turbulent - but the fact that I'm not in the right type of boat and not equipped to handle the challenge of navigating through this kind of storm. I'm aware in the dream that I could easily 'do this' - and would even welcome the challenge - if I just had the right boat. It's maddening.

Thank you for your insight.

Cam

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43 San Francisco, CA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Stormy Dreams

Cambria,
If you will look at your waking life and see what situations you are experiencing where you feel you are not equipped to handle them, this will most likely explain most of the dream. Boats often symbolize the feminine, which in turn often represents emotions. There may be situations where emotionally you do not feel you are equipped to handle the emotional strain. Whatever the experience represented by the symbolic language in your dream it represents your life's experiences.

Also, since you have started having these recurring dreams within the past week look back prior to the dreams to see what might fit. What was peaceful and has changed to turbulent?
You may want to consult the Dream Dictionaries to help determine the meaning{s} of the symbols.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Thank you for the response, Gerard. Interesting. I assume then that most dreams link to waking life experiences? Are there instances when this is not the case?

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Cambria,
Dreams are about your whole life. Jung found that most, if not all, dreams will have at least two interpretations. One will address the ego/waking/conscious life; work, family, the ego conscious self. Normally this is the first focus of the dream.

But there is also that deeper aspect to the dream. Those experiences, positive and negative, that helped formed your psyche, including the emotional condition {especially the emotional condition} are given an opportunity to communicate to your sleeping mind information about your different aspects, with a focus on those aspects that are out of balance. It is done in a symbolic language, using symbols and metaphor to express the emotional, and physical life.

Your stormy dreams are addressing a part of your life that is in some way 'stormy' {the symbol 'storm' can have more than one meaning, and the meaning of storm needs to be determined}. If the dreams are profound, recurring, leave an impression on you when you awake, then the degree of the 'storms' in your life are probably an important even. Those past experiences {with an emphasis on childhood} the progressive evolution of your life, the accumulative experiences that form who your are, all have had a hand in your formation, and have some influence in how you handle those things that may be causing those 'stormy' events/experiences/emotions in your present life.

So, if there are situations in your waking life that fit your 'stormy dreams' {again the language is most always symbolic, metaphorical}, then your dreams are helping you work through those turbulent experiences.
And those events/experiences that helped create the storms, the underlying reasons {often unconscious} to your being are being addressed also. Most always the storms in our lives are created by our own actions and those actions are defined by our experiences. Dreams are showcasing not the the known aspects but also the unknown, unconscious aspects.

Example: If a person is having health problems because they over eat, the question is why do they over eat? Insecurities, childhood traumas, weakness in the will to take charge of their life, these are some of the common reasons, often unconscious and/or unrecognized, to why a person does over eat. The dream is trying to help work through the emotional toil, help find answers and solutions to the 'storms'. Unfortunately most people ignore their dreams. Few understand the importance they can have in one's life.

{Dreams are a part of Jung's approach to wholeness, the inner search}.
See Individuation Process.

Another example: Do you know of any female friends {or male} who always choose the wrong guys to get involved with? And the guys seem to fit the same pattern. If you look deep enough into your friend's lives {it is psychology}
you will discover the underlying reasons to those patterns, the motivations, their behavior {our behavior} was formed from life experiences that usually dictate why people make the decisions they make.

A positive aspect of dreams:
Einstein spent his whole life seeking the answer to relativity. It has been said the final answer came in a dream.

To understand how dreams function, a true understanding, I have many pages at MDS dedicated to just that cause. They are based on science yet does not reject or ignore the metaphysical. Logic is essential but the intuitive is even more so. Exploring the deeper aspects can produce a gnosis about oneself that has always been there, but never given much thought. Mid-life is often when these events occur. That subject is also at addressed at MDS
Mid-Life Issues For Men & Women.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Many thanks, Gerard for taking the time to respond in such depth to my dream posting and questions. I most definitely will read (and re-read) your narrative, aware that there is a great deal of wisdom, truth and intuitiveness reflected in your words.

Thank you for sharing your dream knowledge with me.

Cambria

stats from 7-14-10 to the present