Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dream images stuck in my real world

I am an artist and my chosen visual subjects reveal themselves as manifestations of repressed or hidden personal knowledge. So this tale I tell is not actually a dream, but a living metaphor which has been hanging over me all summer, and hey I wanted to share because I sense change=discomfort and would like perspective:
My bedroom is the loft over my bungalow. It is original 40's construction, only one previous owner. So, the bedroom (like the rest of the house), underwent very little tranformation by the previous owners; it was--until a week ago--a clear-coated homely wood (fancy rippled plywood?). "Original/Old" its greatest redeeming factors.

So its the last room in the house I've tackled with refurbishing. This began slowly and with great reluctance but the nagging need to DoIt. It began Aprilish with refusal to sort thru closet stuff for winter/summer changeover. Clothes have been lying about my room for months, I'm unable/unwilling to put them in some organization, old or new. My bed was covered with clothes, clothes on the floor, sweaters and boots blocking T's and sandals. Slept in the spare bed downstairs, also known as visiting daughters room. Had to hunt for every item of clothing and shoes every time I dressed for work, play, sleep. Pervasive laziness or avoidance,possibly, and yeah avoidance of image eh?

So a week ago I jumped in, began painting, got the whole thing painted. New window teatment, new mirror, new lamps, new placenpress flooring. Makes it look like the new century. Fresh. Not quite done yet.

Not done yet: clothes must still be sorted and many will be tossed or given away. Dragging feet to finish off project, feel some awful change (awful as in requiring work and discomfort) is pending because of my huge obsession with this bedroom and clothing issue.

So thats the story. I think it qualifies as dream, metaphor being the real world to me. And I really would appreciate an outside perspective. Thank you.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56; Plymouth, MI

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Woman

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Dream images stuck in my real world

P.T.,
In dreams, at least in the eyes of devoted Jungians, the metaphors and symbols are representations of the dreamer's psyche. The house, or bungalow would be the dreamer. The rooms would be symbolic of particular aspects of the dreamer. If one goes about refurbishing the house/bungalow, the symbolic dream meaning would be that the dreamer in waking life is going about or needs to go about refurbishing the life. To understand the particular symbols in a dream the dreamer merely needs to compare the symbolic language to the actual life, waking and unconscious. Of course that is simplistic statement whereas the actual comparison can be most difficult.

The visual manifestations of repressed or hidden knowledge you speak of is more than just an interpretation of dreams. At least for those of us who believe the individual psyche has direct connections to the universal knowledge. Archetypes are manifestations of these universal knowledge and are accessible not only through our dreams but from the creative aspects we individually possess. An artist such as yourself can summon these archetypal images with a stroke of a brush. It is intuitive, imprinted within the psyche. The problem with most people is they are stuck in the ego-centered, material world and haven't a clue to these intuitive aspects. For those of us who think in metaphors, the images of art mirrors life and life itself is but a metaphor. You are fortunate that you are able to communicate this symbolic language into art thus revealing the 'secret' meaning beneath the forms.

The goal of the dream is to make the waking life as balanced as the dream life. I view your post as just that, transforming the old into something new, something that best fits who you really are and not what society dictates. But that takes real discipline and most people do not possess that or are unwilling to give time to it.

For most what needs to be done before they are able to access these intuitive powers coherently is to identify and confront any repressed personal aspects. Dreams can assist with that. So to the images on the canvas of the artist, or the lyrics/musical notes of the musician. It comes from within, intuitive in nature, a natural aspect of the human psyche. You have put your transformation into words. Unfortunately most people can only view the possibilities of personal transformation in their dreams.

I hope this feedback is what you were looking for.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Thanks much for your comments. Of course I was hoping for an explanation of my life, maybe a road map...thereby being able to close the book and breathe easy and retire from uncertainty... I agree I'm refurbishing my life. The clothes thing is about image, the bedroom/ also the attic is about sexual/ intellectual refurbishing, maybe. Also kinda bummed about which comes first, the chicken or the egg: is the act of refurbishing these areas going to get me There, in which case why am I dragging my feet; or is the getting There going to finally allow me to finish refurbishing these areas? I suppose that it is not mine to reason why, just visit the landscape and have a clue, maybe get a wheel and drive a bit. Thanks again for the lucid and settling response. Your website is very interesting, picked up some good reading tips! P.T.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56; Plymouth, MI

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Woman

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? not before this one!

P.T.,
An explaination of your life would be a tall task indeed. I think if you were to ask Joseph Campbell or Carl Jung their response may be 'your life has evolved as if it were meant to be'. Mid-life is a time to re-access where you are and where you want to be. You are where you are and if there are needed changes then a refurbishing may be in order. I believe we all need to do some refurbishing.

Both Campbell and Jung spoke of the second half of life as being that time where the creative spirit should have more possession of your time as anything else. If you have not be able to devote your full energies to the creative aspect, that may be where you need to concentrate your efforts. And although you are an artist, Campbell spoke of the need to give expression that fully comes from the soul and not to give effort to make money from the creative resources.

On a personal note, at age 56, my greatest desire is to devote all my energies to the creative aspect. By giving my time to that, part of which is expressed in my pages at MDS, I feel I am giving of myself, which is a spiritual endeavor. Creativity and spirituality are interconnected in many ways. At least in my mind.

{note to confuse spirituality with religion. Religion is for lesser minds. Spirituality is from the soul}

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

What you have both said makes a lot of sense.
See also my post about 'how do dream symbols affect artists?'
I agree with Gerard's point about having a balance between conscious life and subconscious.
Isn't this balance what occurs eventually, through the process of individuation?
I would dare to go further however than the expression of the artist's subconcious creatively in whatever way that is; sculture, canvas etc and say that the artist when seeking balance between the unconscious and conscious mind, seeks beauty from the 'outside' world to 'feed' the appreciation of the psyche, hence the quote;

" a thing of beauty is a joy forever?"
Beautiful images, once expressed, can 'feed' and remind the artist of why they created them in the first place, evolve the appreciation of beauty and encourage them to create again?

Conversely! There's sometimes that feeling of creating something in art that other people like and you hate!

stats from 7-14-10 to the present