Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More intruders

Hi everyone,

I had a dream this morning that two intruders were trying to break in. By the time I realized I had again forgotten to lock the door, it was too late. However, I reached the front door in time (at my parent's house) and grabbed the key from an overweight white man before he could enter. He had a thinner friend standing next to him. I also made a promise to myself in the dream that I wouldn't be alone in the house unless my mother and father were there with me, protecting me, and my brother too. In the dream I was an adult, not a child. The dream repeated itself and this time it was just the first man and when I made it to the front door and tried to close it on him, the screen door, instead of being on the other side of the door, was next to it, and instead of closing in the latch which moved to the middle between the doors, was an inch or two from reaching, so I couldn't keep him out. Later in the dream I was talking to a woman asking her to help me with my two master's thesis.

I felt very afraid in the dream and felt these men were definitely intruders and up to no good. In the second dream I didn't have anyone helping me, I was by myself in the house.

I think the affect of academia and patriarchy are definitely factors in my life that are disturbing but I feel since I had a repeating dream with this similar theme that I still haven't hit on the 'right' interpretation. Also, in this dream my parent's were allies rather than in the one where my brother was being tortured, I think they were maybe the ones torturing him....adults living in my parent's house....could be my parents.

There is always a sense of being too late....in all these recent dreams, I realize the danger is near and the door is unlocked only when the danger has impeded, or seconds before. I ask myself what is going on in my real life where I realize something right when it is too late, or right before the point when I could have prevented it. I seem to be realizing something almost but not quite after the fact in my dreams and it carries with it very heavy emotions of fear and dread.

I'm having deadline issues with one of my degrees but somehow that doesn't seem to explain these feelings.

I'd love some insights!

Best,
May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35/Europe

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: More intruders

May,
I couldn't help noticing the pairs of opposites in your dream. Overweight man/thinner friend, mother and father, me and brother, adult, not a child, latch closing in instead of out. Could it be that these opposites represent conflicts, perhaps conflicts when added together are causing great stress in your waking life? The dream could be addressing the current personal aspects in your life, and at the same time addressing deeper psychological issues. Adult and child, then and now.

Perhaps the intruder is the unwanted stress.

Are you dealing with unresolved issues from earlier life, including childhood? The last part of your post seemed to point to self destructive tendencies or self impeding {the door is unlocked only when the danger has impeded}. The particular symbols in your dreams, the opposite fat/thin men, mother and father and brother, may have real relevance from past experiences in your life. The dream may be addressing unresolved issues from earlier in life as well as addressing the personal.

Two interpretations to every dream.

For anyone to resolve the deeper issues they have to actively seek out unresolved issues that are the causation of many current conflicts. Dreams often address the underlying causes to personality, especially those in conflict. Looking back at ones life, in great detail, will lead to places long forgotten, even repressed. Self psychology {Individuation}.

The feelings that you speak {doesn't seem to explain these feelings} remind me of my own 'thoughts' prior to discovering the underlying causation to much of my 'negative' and destructive tendencies. And much of it stems from childhood. Unresolved, the influences were very powerful in my early adulthood, controlling much of my life.

We all carry baggage from life. And it gets very heavy.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your insights.

I agree that in addition to addressing career issues with academia and patriarchy, that this dream and others are addressing personal issues and underlying causes to personality. This interpretation has a lot of depth and resonates meaningfully for me, it rings more true than the idea of patriarchy affecting the 'feminine'.

I agree also with your valuable advice to revisit my life in detail, particulary my childhood and relationship with my parents. I have begun this process, but perhaps have heretofore only skimmed the surface, but there are always deeper and deeper layers, and perhaps I was previously more focused on the big picture and now it is time to look more to the details.

I am sure that I am suffering from inner conflicts and thar are causing me stress and that I'm having a lot of left over difficulty from childhood. My dreams are showing me to what extend and perhaps (obviously) also things I had been previously unconscious of or repressed.

The idea of intruders in these series of dreams that I have had with the theme of intruders gives me a sense of something 'intruding' in from the unconscious, as well as perhaps really feelings of having my boundaries intruded on as a child. I've mentioned before that I was raised in a conservative home and couldn't really express my true feelings. Other people's values (my parent's) were imposed (intruded) on my psyche with the outcome of bringing me further away from my true nature. I was also raised in between two different cultural systems which were brought into conflict by my parents because they were so different from my parents values and this is maybe part of my stress.

I do occassionally feel a tremendous sense of dread throughout the day which I wasn't feeling consciously at least, before I started this program, and I thought it was just because of the stress of deadlines for two master's degrees in one year, however, the same sense of forboding dream is mirrored in these dreams of finding out too late about the danger.

The times in life when I felt this sense of dread were when I was a teenager and young adult and just didn't want to return home at the end of the day. I wonder now if I felt it all my life but repressed it as a child. I never felt like I could be myself, I never felt my true self was accepted by my family, and additionally my parents were very strict to the point of it being traumatic for me. I am aware of this and it is painful, but I'm wondering if there are other things my dreams are trying to bring to my attention that I'm not aware of, beyond what I already understand of my life. I'm sure the answer to this is of course yes. I am also sure I was traumatized by all this and these dreams have symbols of trauma, including many of the dreams I posted here previously. When I just look at the overall picture of my life and how it felt growing up and the subsequent consequences for my personality and life I feel overwhelmed, and it feels traumatic, so I really don't know how it will be to keep looking at details, when just looking at the big picture feels so painful. But I've begun the process. I had found an excellent Jungian analyst before I moved, but now I am working with a Gestalt therapist. I prefered the Jungian analyst and working with dreams, but it was on a more transpersonal and somewhat detached level. I feel the work I'm doing now is more personal and getting into the nitty-gritty details of my life and childhood and showing me the underlying patterns that are affecting me now.

Its interested you noted a self-destructive element. I will need to think about that. I am not consciously aware of being self-destructive but perhaps I have some unhealthy patterns I need to become aware of.

Its all a process of become aware and so I'm grateful to dreams for serving that purpose.

Thanks again Jerry.

Best,
May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35/Europe

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

May,
Unless there are 'hidden' experiences from childhood that have yet to be realized, the inability to be excepted for who you are by family can be enough to present the 'dread' you have felt throughout life. Acceptance is one vital aspect of the human psyche that must have a stable environment. If that is lacking in the formative years it can and usually does go with you throughout life. As with most of us it is mid-life before we begin to recognize the full damage this lack of acceptance can have on our lives. These unresolved conflicts come up in our dreams. Of course the dream wishes to inform the dreamer of those out of balance aspects and will often help in understanding the underlying causations. This is one reason dream psychology has captured my attention and has provided me with enthusiasm when I am focused on my dreamwork {as I am doing at this very moment}.

As for looking back and analyzing the whole life, I think it most important in finding balance and harmony. If you do not know of the causations of the conflicts in life you can not heal those conflicts. Most of the conflicts begin in childhood and manifest themselves throughout life because a pattern has been established that 'leads' us to live our lives in a certain way. I look back at my own negative experiences and see the roots stemming from childhood. It took me 42 years to begin realize the causations {after discovering Campbell and Jung}. But the first momnet I saw Campbell and The Power of Myth I knew my life was changed forever. And it was. I am now free of most of the negative patterns of behavior I inherited from childhood.

{childhhod patterns of behavior do not necessarlity make you do things in adult life but they do lead you in a certain direction. We become pre-disposed to cerain tendencies}

The most positive thing is you are aware of those tendencies and are actively seeking answers. I believe that is most important, an awareness. When most people get to the mid-life thing they are so intimidated by social duty and the aging process, they have little desire to seek out answers that can heal. Instead they remained focused on material worth and ego, believing that such things can replace the inner conflicts. The ultimate sacrifice, Jesus on the cross, is annilihation of the ego and a rebirth to the inner life {spirituality and creativity}. And I emphasis what Campbell believed; a total annilihation of the ego. Not an easy thing to do but when one strives to do so, enligtenment tends to follow.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present