Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Homeless

I and a companion who I have no familiarity with was driving around looking at large old houses on a windy, up-hill, narrow road. It appeared to be fall because there were a lot of fallen leaves and debris on the road. Then we were walking and we had no car. We were very tired and needed to sleep. We found a house whose front door was open so we went in. There were two sofas, one against the wall facing the door, and the other on the left wall. I immediately fell asleep on the sofa against the back wall so that I could keep a watch on the front door. The room we were in was an all season front porch which may explain why the front door which was a storm door was open. It was fully furnished including indoor/outdoor carpet. The colors were neutral. I was half asleep and could barely move because I was so tired.
Then an old fashioned pick-up truck pulled right up to the door which blocked us in. Two women and a man got out of the truck, but the women came in first and saw us. Before they came in, I told my companion to wake up. When the women walked in, I immediately said we were only sleeping and did not take anything. The one woman who looked meaner than the other said I was lying. I said I wasn't. I put my hands in the pocket of my old worn trench coat and pulled out its contents. My left pocket was empty but my right pocket had the contents I usually carry in my purse. Coin purse, a credit card case among other things. All the while, I'm trying to convince them that we only wanted to sleep.
Then the man walks in and takes the things from my hand. He sits on the sofa against the left wall and they all start inspecting my things to see of there was anything they wanted to keep. I grabbed my coin purse which was heavy and full of money. He tried to take it back in a weak gesture. I told him he could have everything else. He seemed satisfied so we were allowed to leave. But as soon as we got outside the door, I realized I left my business cards in the credit card case. Just as I was turning around to go back inside, the man was at the door blocking it. I said I needed my business cards and he said he thought I might. He gave me the case and I took the business cards out and handed the case back to him and we left.
The mean woman was constantly accusing us of doing wrong but the other woman and the man was convinced that we did nothing wrong and only wanted to sleep. (Everyone was white and I'm black. Also, I did not know any of them from my real life. I'm not sure how or if this is significant.) Thanks for your help!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42, Atlanta GA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Homeless

Yvette,
Thank you for including personal information and thoughts on the dream. It's very helpful to know these things when interpretaing a dream.

A single dream can and often does hold multiple themes of meaning. For whatever reason, I see three possible, distinct threads in this dream: personal (waking life); mid life (Individuation); and finally a 'collective' or applicable to the entire aspect of humanity theme. With three threads this would be too lengthy & too much inforamtion to examine in a single post. I'll start with the personal aspect. If you are interested in continuing past this to the others we'll do so. I believe there is value in examing the other threads, perhaps moreso because the potential of Self, and Societal at large, growth lies within these.

Personal (waking) dream interpretations focus on normal day to day life. In this aspect dreams catalog conscious and unconscious content from the days events, examine waking situations for better understanding, offer solutions to problems, etc

Something in your life that you are striving toward which requires a lot of effort. This could be related to career/work, likely you are in an advanced stage in your profession. You have faced obstacles working in this profession for some time. The companion you do not know could be either an inner aspect of Self that you’ve relied upon although not consciously known existed or an archetypal (universal) symbol of women as the ‘Women’s rights movement’ for equality in gender in the professional arena. Some vehicle at your disposal that aided you in reaching your goal is no longer accessible. A time to pause, reflect on how to proceed. This has left you drained of energy, and perhaps even the desire, to continue the past course. The house you enter probably represents your current position, which you feel must be defended from another/others as competition is always a factor.

This may represent the well known (to women) glass ceiling and the male dominated network of upper management, normally attainable by women who emulate the same negative male behaviour. This is changing somewhat as more women who apply feminine principles to leadership are making it to the upper levels. The ‘old school’ male patriarchy often perceives the advancement of women to the upper levels as ‘‘stealing’ (from men) and work to keep women out of the inner circle. Perhaps you feel defensive in certain situations at work, feeling a need to justify your position and remind others you’ve earned this, you utilize traditional masculine rational thought/logic, as opposed to feminine feeling, although these feminine aspects are concealed within.

Perhaps you or some aspect of your work is constantly scrutinized by others. The basis of their actions lie in envy, jealousy or some other negative female emotion. Initially you surrender to this due to an unconscious fear aspect. You protest and retrieve/retain what you have rightly earned. Although you give other attainments in a form of negotiation. After the exchange, you realize an important aspect you gave up which you now require or desire to be returned. This aspect holds an internal or personal rather than external of societal value. Exactly what the business cards symbolize relies on you. It could be status, validation, introduction, etc.

On a waking level, overall the dream appears to describe ongoing conflicts in your life. Although the interpreataion focus on career could be wrong from the dream I sense this is a real possiblity.

Please respond with your thoughts, even if the interpretation does not seem to fit with your take on the dream. With your input we can delve futher into this.

And I always add, interpretations offered on the Forum are 'educated' possibilities based on archetypal symbolism. Only a dreamer knows if an interpretation is valid or not. Look to the days preceeding the dream for clues to meaning. Some situation will 'pop out' at you.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Wow! I would say that most of what you've said is right on. I have been at home on a leave of absence for the last three months and I've been resting as a result of being both emotionally and physically tired. There was conflict before I left with a female boss. Also, the company I work for has a glass ceiling for women. Very little stride has been made for women in upper management. Only a few tokens are promoted to the level of executive. Probably less than 1%. Less than that are minorities. I would also be interested in exploring the other threads you mentioned. Thanks so much!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42, Atlanta GA

Kathy,
The Jung Institute in Zurich is looking for a few good Jungians for dream analysis. I think you need to apply.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Yvette,
Thank you for your response. I hope the dream and interpretation will be of use as you work through the issues you speak of. Dreams reflect our conscious life back to us as a different perspective, that of the true inner Self. Working with dreams can be a great source of inner knowledge, knowing the inner Self.

I faced a similar situation several years past thinking it was job burnout. It took a year, and finally ill health, to finally leave the job. Things improved for a short while. Then relationship issues with my now ex partner became the conflict. I started Self work, Jung and Campbell, about a year after leaving my job. What I discover through Self work is both situations were merely symptoms of deep unrest in my Psyche. My life had no real meaning. Through Self work I slowly unravel negative unconscious issues. It is a difficult process, there’s much internal as well as external garbage to clean out. But wholly worthwhile.

There are a few organizations that do not have a glass ceiling, nor racial or cultural discrimination. I’m fortunate, destined?, to have landed in one. Although there were difficult times beforehand.

The deeper meaning to dreams…

It may be helpful to read about Carl Jung’s process of Individuation here on MDS. I highly recommend viewing Joseph Campbell’s The Power of Myth collection. (Go online to your local library. If they don’t have it they likely participate in a resource share where it can be ordered from another library.) In a nutshell, the process of Individuation is ‘one great web of psychological factors that follow an arrangement or pattern in a slow, imperceptible process of involuntary psychic (meaning psychological) growth’. (Glad my daughter returned this book yesterday!) This is the second thread I see in the dream. In this thread all dream characters represent inner aspects of you, your Psyche.

The companion you do not know may be an undeveloped feminine aspect. The long uphill windy road represents the life path. You are now in mid life, a time to pause and reflect, examine, and evaluate the life lived, to determine where to go forth (front door). Half the live is lived, half yet to live, and possibly the undeveloped feminine aspect viewed as half of a whole, without this aspect you are weaker than if it had developed properly. All weather and indoor/outdoor could reference external ego/inner Self or that the Psyche is equipped with all the aspects (parts), we only need to develop and learn proper utilization of these.

The old pick up truck would be the vehicle that brought you through adulthood to the current mid life stage. It is now a vehicle of the past no longer serving you. It blocks psychological development you need at mid life and beyond. The man and two women are aspects of your inner Self. Four often represents the Psyche. For a female, three women and one man seems to be an archetypal symbol for the Psyche. One feminine aspect, the mean one, represents a psychological issue. Only the dreamer can determine the exact issue through thought and attention. Likely a feminine trait, feminine being feeling, emotion, caring, nurturing, empathy, etc. (Read about Anima/Animus by clicking the link on the left menu.) Masculine traits are typically logic, analysis, competition, aggression, etc. (As I write this self nurturing seems to stand out…although could be wrong.) This feminine aspect is overly aggressive, suspicious without cause, basically in attack mode. Are you self critical, your own worst critic? Comparing your self to others and feel you lack in some way?

This issue may be due to over developed or over reliance on masculine traits. Who was driving the truck – the man? Although thought to be necessary in prior adult achievement life stage, this is not conducive to Self or Self development. (Contents of purse in right pocket, left pocket empty). Sleep could be introspection; dreams are a form of looking inward. This could indicate you want to know what you, the real you inside, is to do.

The masculine grasps at achievement, and the monetary rewards that come with this. The other feminine aspects examine.

But the feminine aspect desires to be whole, an inner value, so retrieves this from the masculine. Masculine knows it’s not the natural ‘leader’ of Self (does not resist). But the weak feminine still gives over too much, realizing it after the exchange. The masculine stands it’s ground so another internal deal is cut for only the most essential leaving too much to the masculine.

Again, the business cards probably have personal meaning. This would represent something you gave up on you now wish to retrieve. As a child or young adult, what did you want to do, be? What did you truly enjoy, made your heart sing? Thinking on these questions may identify what you gave up.

Do you have self doubts about the past life lived? At mid life we all do, few actually listen and engage in Self work, personal development, that makes a real difference in the current and future life…

Please, let us know your thoughts. We may be able to work deeper into this aspect of the dream.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Gerard,
Thank you. But as you can see from my dream post I'm still engaged in battle with inner dragons.

Perhaps in 8 or 9 years...

Kind regards,
Kathy

It seems to me, you are out in the world, not quite sure where you are in life. You do not see people as seeing the real you. They misunderstand you, do not see your true value. Maybe you need to start standing your own ground, plant your footing,claim your own. you need to find out who YOU are, then claim it. The homeless part you. home is where the heart is as they say. Claim your place here on this earth. Don't be so swayed if you run into strife. Thats the mean woman who doesn't believe you. As long as you know who you are and you believe in yourself. Who cares what anyone else beleives about you. You have the strength, you just have to step up and claim it.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 48/Ohio

stats from 7-14-10 to the present