Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
S23 Noise from Differential Housing

Question for veteran Speedex owners. I was plowing some new garden today. When I get hung up on a root there is a "pop" noise coming from, I think, the differential housing. Had the noise occasionally while I was discing the area also. Is this a bad sign of things to come?

Re: S23 Noise from Differential Housing

Have you adjusted (tightened) big hex nut on back left axle lately?

No, took the easy route and just parked the old girl and found a 1732. Please explain, what am I missing? Thanks

From my (11/1/77) 1630 manual (page 4):
Left Rear Wheel Gear Adjusting Nut:

After first 25 hours of operation adjust as follows:
With left rear wheel off ground, transmission in neutral, check wheel for excessive back and forth rotary motion. If present, loosen adjustment nut set screw, tighten nut snugly and back off 1/2 turn. If wheel will not turn by moderate hand effort, back off by additional 1/4 turn until it does. tighten set screw securely.

Looks like a logical operation. Like adjusting wheel bearings. Tighten jam nut to draw axle gear weldment and hub gear weldment into contact with pinion weldment. Back off jam nut enough to prevent undue wear to gears, but not so much that teeth skip. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes. So glad I waited and didn't open the differential case. Thanks - Paul

P.S. I am not finding this information in the 1600, 1700 or 1800 series manuals of this site. Can you share what you are looking at with Mike so we can get it posted? Thanks again.