Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
REMARKS FOR THE HONORABLE MARY PETERS SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

REMARKS FOR
THE HONORABLE MARY PETERS
SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY COUNCIL INDIANAPOLIS, IN

FEBRUARY 16, 2007 9 AM
http://www.dot.gov/affairs/peters021607.htm

I am sorry, but did I walk into the wrong room?

"The motorcycle industry means a lot to me personally, and I am glad it has your strong leadership."

THE HONORABLE MARY PETERS SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION
seems to be honoring the motorcycle helmet industry and a mention of Safety was a brief on intent.

" And motorcycle crashes are one of the main reasons our progress in increasing highway safety has stalled."

"Now there is something of a disagreement in the Peters household about who was at fault. Let’s just say we mis-communicated. I ended up clipping his front tire, and went down."

"I remember the moment I knew it was going to happen. But God is merciful, and the next memory I have, I was off the bike and lying on the pavement with a broken collar-bone."

"So as you can imagine, motorcycle safety is a subject that I take very personally and very seriously."

Let me understand these last view statements...

Ms. Peters, your outline of the accident makes me believe that your dependent on the shell on your head to make up for either your lack of experience in riding, or you are in the age bracket that you have to depend on that shell on your head, knowingly your going to have that next motorcycle accident and need the protection. Who was really at fault here?

The Banner at the top of the page I read states " U.S. Department Of Transportation "

" And so I ask you to help me find common-sense solutions that will make biking not only the freest form of transportation, but also one of the safest."

Are you in this office to represent all forms of transportation and the issues of concern in public safety? I for one thought you were.

This is a blatant dis-concern outlined in this whole statement you made on FEBRUARY 16, 2007 9 AM. Like every politician alike you have no idea of the situation we face as motorcyclist today. NOT once did you mention Motorcycle Awareness issues and education programs for the motorists we deal with on a daily bases. Sure we will share in the education of our fellow Bikers in the motorcycle issues on safety, because that is were the NTSB, MSF, NHTSA, U.S. DOT, and alike have distributed that responsibility, to each State who qualify to receive their grants. Out of the "87,000 motorcycle injuries " ( NHTSA Final Report 2005 published ) how many of those injured motorcyclist are victims, regardless of helmets or not have experienced catastrophic injuries and are able to tell us about their experiences with Distracted Drivers, or their own self inflicted injuries. Are the NTSB, NHTSA & DOT representatives in every State, along with qualified Accident Investigation teams, Police reports, Medical Hospital reports, giving their all to report to Washington the actual needs and concerns we have for all motorcyclist? I think NOT!!

By lobbying your personal experience based on your age and lack of experience on a motorcycle is not the issue to promote the Helmet, "Band=Aid" issue like you have on this day! I propose to you and every Appointed Official to make changes to your attitudes concerning this next Motorcycle Accident Causation Study, and start combining the motorist in this study also, the Distracted Driver. Impaired Drivers should have the treatment centers, Rehab centers to deal with their addictions. The Distracted Drivers should be educated about sharing the roads with Motorcyclist. As you pointed out, we are only 2% of the highway users, yet we have the highest accident rates. Doesn't that tell you something? Or are you distracted by the Cell Phone ringing in.

Truly, Helmets are a great safety Item, But I have the right to choose to wear a helmet or not, as you well know, .. you choose to wear a helmet in a no helmet above 18 years of age STATE, Arizona, were I reside also.

As a motorcyclist/motorist yourself, representing Public Safety issues for motorist and motorcyclist, I feel you have mis-represented every BIKERS concern in this matter, Ms Peters, you DO NOT speak for every BIKER concerning HELMET USE. If you felt that you were, you should have ask us first before making your statement. Instead you based your statement on your own mishap, description of your inexperianced riding skills,

How can you represent the good of all motorist and motorcyclist Ms Peters, when you read the cover of these issues and NOT read the content of our concerns.

What is the root cause? As you stated, “perhaps preventing the crash altogether.”

I call for your retraction of this statement based on your inattentive awareness and lack of concern for ALL motorcyclist.

Garry Van Kirk
Bullhead City, Arizona
Bikers Accident Survivor Forum
Owner of www.bacsuv.com

Re: REMARKS FOR THE HONORABLE MARY PETERS SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

Garry- are we to take it from your letter that helmets are only for the clumsy and inexperienced?

I think your argument has passion and facts on its side, and it loses you credibility when you allude to such things. "...like all politicians..."? When did we vote for the Secretary of Transportation? ".. the age bracket where you have to depend on that shell on your head..."? Show up at Daytona and say that anyone with gray hair isn't allowed because they are more likely to crash. You'll get a lot of love there, I'm sure.

Garry, I respect what you've accomplished with this forum, BUT I feel that a letter like this reads more like a biker's rant than a smart guy's letter to the government- I KNOW it's the second, but I don't think Secretary Peters knows.

Re: Re: REMARKS FOR THE HONORABLE MARY PETERS SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

The point I am making is that helmets are not the issue. To use this subject to remedy a solution is a band-aid on the causes of the problems we face today. Mortorcycle Safety is very important, so are helmets. But if we let our guard down, and think that a helmet is the answer, that rider will over confident his travels. Age is also not a factor, I understand this. Agin, helmets are not the answer.

I have four helmets that I wear when I feel the safety issue is needed for my protection. I don't agree in making laws to demand the use. I'd rather practice my riding skills to keep my freedom of choice.

Education for Riders and motorist and their issues of Highway Safty has to multiply the factors, regardless if your a cager or Biker, it all comes down to limiting that " catastrophic accident ".

Motorcycle Awareness and Distrated Driver issues are a must! As well as profound Education for all of us who share the roads we travel.

I believe these issues are not being represented with the urgency needed for today.

Garry