Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Riding with 1 arm?

Every so often, something positive smacks you in the face...

Went to a bike show here in Baltimore last week to meet up with some trike builders, and found someone to trike my Triumph! If all goes according to plan (and hope) I'll be back on the road for the summer!

Re: Riding with 1 arm?

Hi Blue. You should be able to ride a bike again. I'm a one arm rider (from broken neck and BPI). I only have use of my right arm. What I did was move the clutch to the right side, underneath my brake. I also added additional switches to tap into the stock left switch housing for blinkers and whatnot. It takes a bit to get use to the setup, but nothing some practice would take care of.

Below is my blog page from another website, but browse through, might give you some ideas. You can move things to the left side. The trickiest part is the throttle, but it has been done.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=17150

Re: Re: Re: Re: Riding with 1 arm?

Yahoooo brother Blue !!!!!

My best wishes to you bro,,!! Keep us up to date and let us know who this builder is thats going to do this for ya.. ok!!

Concrats " Blue "...YES

It all depends on how much you are able to use the arm with a prosthesis. If you have a prosthesis that lets you match arm lengths and gives you the ability to grasp a handlebar then there are several options that I could suggest.

I have partial paralysis in my right arm that does not allow me to operate any controls with my right hand. I can only grasp and hang on. This is due to a birth injury. It has not kept me from 17 years of two and three wheel riding. It just takes a bit of ingenuity.

You will find most of what you need at the Disabled Riders of America website (see the link below)

http://disabledriders.com

I am the member called Don at that website.

Another recource you might want to look at is the AMA disabled riders resource page:

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/DISBresourcelistings.asp

Recent developments such as automatic clutches and automatic transmission conversions are making it a lot easier and cheeper for disabled riders to ride.

Don Honeycutt (Suquamish WA)

Don,

Thank you for taking the time to vist "Bikers Accident Survivor Forum" and giving your support in the Riding with 1 arm? section.
Your welcome to visit any time, and we look forward to your company when your time will allow Don.

With greatest respect,

Garry Van Kirk
Bikers Accident Survivor Forum
www.bacsuv.com