Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
I am fed up with the walk in the park attitude

----- Original Message -----
To: alan.keays@rutlandherald.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:19 AM
Subject: Ashley Ellis-Driver claims distraction before impact with bike
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/NEWS01/708230383/1002/NEWS01

Alan J. Keays
alan.keays@rutlandherald.com

I am a concerned Biker with the care and support of my fellow brothers and sisters who ride and have been involved in a catastrophic motorcycle accident. I am fed-up with the legal process ineffectively giving distracted drivers their due fines and penalties for their crimes
they commit.

In this case of Ashley Ellis claiming her driving behavior is due from,( " Driver claims distraction before impact with bike " ),dogs distracting her as though it was just a walk in the park, claiming her innocents, is a slap in the face to every victim, motorcycle rider, that has been involved in a catastrophic auto accident caused by a distracted driver.

100-Car Naturalistic Study

Fact Sheet

Discoveries

Driver Inattention:

Nearly 80 percent of all crashes and 65 percent of all near-crashes involved driver inattention (due to distraction, fatigue, or just looking away) just prior to (i.e., within 3 seconds) the onset of the conflict.

Study Sponsors:

National Highway Traffic Safety, Administration (NHTSA), Virginia Department of Transportation, (VDOT), Virginia Transportation Research

Council (VTRC), Virginia Tech (VT) http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/100-Car_Fact-Sheet.pdf

As a concerned, Biker, I present this to your attention and to the driving public that it is time to realize that distracted driving and auto, motorcycle, accidents do not mix any longer on the streets of this United States. The Band-Aid mentality, as Ms Ashley Ellis puts it in her statements, and the motorcycle helmet supporters making premature solutions to the actual cause of accidents is appalling and a disgrace, The lack of respect for every motorcycle accident victim, as a Amputee, Paraplegic, Traumatic Brain Injury, Blunt Force Trauma is evident with these attitudes.

I challenge the NTSB to come forward with-out any Band-Aid solution to their findings concerning motorcycle accidents and their victims.

" Washington, DC -- The National Transportation Safety Board
will hold a public Board meeting on September 11, 2007 at
9:30 a.m. in its Board Room and Conference Center 429
L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Washington, DC.

Two items are on the agenda:

Motorcycle Safety: The Board will discuss draft recommendations that resulted from the NTSB Public Forum on Motorcycle Safety that occurred on September 12-13, 2006. During the forum, the Safety Board gathered information on ongoing motorcycle research and initiatives, as well as countermeasures that may reduce the likelihood of motorcycle accidents and fatalities. The meeting included participants representing government, motorcycle manufacturers, motorcyclist associations, state motorcycle rights organizations, trauma physicians, law enforcement, and insurance companies. Contact: Terry N. Williams (202) 314-6100 "

I addition, I am fed up with the walk in the park attitude from distracted drivers using their cell phones, and alike entertainment while driving as is the:

"Center for Auto Safety (CAS)

January 21, 2007

PETITION FOR RULEMAKING

Dear Ms. Nason:

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitions the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to take action to restrict the availability of two-way communication features through in-vehicle telematic systems while a vehicle is in motion. The purpose of this petition is to make the driving environment safer by reducing the availability of devices that have been proven to be traffic hazards.According to NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson, “Our recommendation is that you should not talk on the phone while driving, whether it’s a hand-held or hands-free device.”1 It is time for NHTSA to put the results of extensive research and its own recommendation into action." http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/phpwmd6vH_CellPhonePetitionFinal.pdf .

I assure the driving public, that I, like most bikers, will be watching this case concerning Ms Ashley Ellis.

Thank you for reading my concerns in this very important matter.
With greatest respects

Garry Van Kirk
Bikers Accident Survivor Forum
www.bacsuv.com
bikeraccidentsurvivor@bacsuv.com
Bullhead City, Arizona