Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
husband is a quadriplegic due to race bike accident

Would like to chat with spouses/caregivers of other quadriplegic (former) riders. My husband & his buddy bought a '42 Harley KR750 dirt track race bike and the 2nd time out on a little practice track got into a turn too high & too fast and went over the high side. Landed on his face, flipped his head & neck back & damaged the C3-C7 in his spine and has been a quadriplegic since 9/27/06. After spending 3 months in the hospital and rehab unit, he came home and I am taking care of his every need. I had to quit my job, buy a $50K handicap equipped van, sold a couple Harleys and have the house made accessible for him. Fortunately we have had excellent therapist to train me to take care of him. We have been standing him and he has started to be able to sit for a minute unassisted. We are now talking about having a side car custom built for him to put on his Street Glide!! We were in a motorcycle crash in July 05 and I vowed never to get on a bike again, but if it will give him back the opportunity to get the Harleys out again, I'll just suck it up & ride again. I never thought I could be as strong as I have been in the past 11 months, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! I didn't want him to buy the race bike - he is 59 years old and I told him he was too old to start racing and too many things could happen but it was just something he has always wanted to do, so he put my feelings aside and bought it anyway. I get annoyed sometimes when I stop to think that he didn't consider how it could affect more than just him if something happened. But something did happen and we can't change it, so we have to just be thankful for everyday and life goes on. There's is a saying in AA - God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the widom to know the difference. We just keep on working with him, trying to make his limbs work again, I take the best care of him that I can possibly give him and hope tomorrow will be better!

Re: husband is a quadriplegic due to race bike accident

Peggy,

I read your letter in Bikers Accident Survivor Forum, and my heart goes out to you and to your husband. I know how hard it is to cope sometimes. My older brother is a quad also, so I can relate to your concerns. Below is a Link to Brian Montgomery's Letter in our forum and his picture and link is on the front page of our Website as well. I have talked to Brian and have emailed him periodically through this year. Look over his Website as well and e-mail him, He is wide open to conversation and he has a big sense of humor, I am sure he will give added support...Link to Brians Website is: http://home.earthlink.net/~bdmpastx/
His Email is: bdmpastx@earthlink.net

Another great resourse is: Apparelyzed, This forum has a Spouse and Caregiver section also, Peggy Please if I can be any further help or you want to just chat, holler, ok!!!!
http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/index.php?

With greatest respect

Garry

Garry Van Kirk
Bikers Accident Survivor Forum
www.bacsuv.com
bikeraccsurvivor@bacsuv.com