Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accidents on The Rise....Media isn't always fare

aaron(face_plant),

You do raise an interesting subject.While thousands suffer from Right of Way collisions with other vehicles, or other multi-vehicle accidents, there is that aspect of accidents also to be considered.

We recently had a fatal accident,(late summer), in my area that involved multiple sport bike riders. As far as I was able to learn from reports in the news, they were riding in a group. They were friends. For unknown reasons, one rider suddenly accelerated rapidly, lost control, & went off the roadway. He came to a stop, according to news reports, by being impaled on a fence post. His friends will live with that memory for the rest of their lives.

I can't imagine what that would do to me, seeing a friend go from having fun riding, to dieing in a way as awful as that. I can tell you that I heard ALL the friends immediately put their bikes up for sale.

I've been a strong advocate for safety & awareness for riders since being taken down myself. My mind had been stuck on the rider being a victim, as in my case.Thanks to this story bringing it to the fore front, it is an obvious issue to be concerned with as well.

While in most cases, we may never know reasons for the incidents, it usually goes down in the news as an irresponsible act of riding. There tends to not be as much compassion for someone when an outsider looks down on it with a "what were you thinking" attitude.

I understand the human nature that creates this element. I don't share the lack of compassion for the victims. For those who question this, I can only say all people are important.All deserve respect.If we can rush to judgment over a "self motivated" loss, then where is the rush to judgement for the victims of the Right of Way infractions?

I've seen cases (& responded with letters to the editor), in our paper where it is almost an obvious rush to judgement or toss of blame towards a rider & is slanted against them. What purpose does this serve? The only way I can take it is that if the
public, through media outlets, hears often enough the occasions that a rider "brings on his troubles himself", it some how minimizes the need for studies on bike safety & awareness.

Anyone who rides knows how absurd that is. Just as absurd as the thought that forcing helmets on their heads is a "cure all". Safe riding,and safe interaction on the roadways IS THE ONLY ANSWER.Past that,off road is a riders choice-with it's own safety issues.

It angers me to see a story reported only to the point of "suggesting" blame. My own response to the paper was in direct response to just such a news report. If it is a news item worthy of reporting, IT IS NOT the job of the reporter to "read between the lines". Give me the facts you have from an official police report, and validate the story with it. Otherwise, you have names and locations and that's it.

This may seem trivial to many, but the fact is, if a legal battle ensues over liability-you don't want or need slanted speculation available for either side.Only the facts of the case are important. Tainting the minds of the public with half truths also taints the mind of a prospective juror. It does matter that only facts are reported.

I'll end by saying I DID NOT KNOW the rider in the news report. I felt compelled to respond on his behalf not having any more than a third party knowledge. I don't know, but maybe if we all took that kind of interest, we'd gain some respect and some better spots in the press. I know I'm tired of seeing what's being offered all too often.