Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost left leg in a motorcycle accident

I was involved in an accident with a 1-ton Ford Dually about 3 years ago. I ended up losing my left leg below the knee. I would like to correspond with someone with a similar story. Most days I am busy enough that I don't think about the missing limb much, but other times I am having a few problems about it. Maybe we can compare notes so to speak

Re: Lost left leg in a motorcycle accident

i'm writing to you to see whether you'd like to trade stories and share how those fords end up severing legs. i lost my entire right leg when the driver of a ford f-150 passed out at the wheel from a diabetic seizure. he crossed over the mid-line and hit us when we were both at top highway speeds. he killed my friend and took my leg, that day. that was december 30 of last year.

i've yet to reach the one-year mark, but i'm a fighter by nature. i'm reaching out to see whether you'd like to write. i'm at jeanetteanderson@charter.net

I feel you on that On Nov 9, 2008 I was tboned and thrown 57ft. Crushed right leg they did try to save it but ended up taking it due to infection into the bone. I lost it right above the knee. Driver not paying attition and made a left hand turn into me I was going 50 police report says she took the turn at 15mph email me we can share storys bird_sportsterman@yahoo.com

I was one of the lucky ones. I was T boned at 35 MPH on a city street. The other driver either ran a stop sign, or pulled out from one and hit me. Based on the distance I was thrown, (30 ft.), and the damage to my bike as well as her car, (towed from the scene), I believe see ran it at conciderabl speed. I was hit from the left.

The "crash bar" was folded back completely. The foot rest pad was folded up, bent up, & nearly broke the weld to the frame. There was slight damage to the left fork, mostly cosmetic.

I found a heel scuff on the right side of the tank as part of my "exiting the vehicle". Apparently, I didn't do that quick enough. Past the scuff was the soft dent where my foot was trapped for a second between the tank & the ground. The broken ankel was the thing that stood out most when I came back to my senses.

The bike slid, front fener 1rst., into a power pole on the corner.I, flew past it landing in the grass, (thank God). I try to picture how my foot could get "snagged" & still I flew 30 ft.

I had 5 fractures in my neck, one in my right shoulder, the foot, a couple bumps on my head, & had hit my right cheek on something, cutting it & busting a couple teeth. But I was lucky. I spent 10 days in the hospital.

Over the next year I had 3 same day prceedures. One was followed by staff infections almost costing me a left foot. I was lucky again.

I guess I'm lost in a gap of having been there, but being givin the chance to "walk away from it". After finding this Forum, & reading it, I've grown close to many people. I've come to realize the "other side of the story".

I beat myself up for everything from, "why didn't I see it coming & avoid it", to, " how dare I wine about my stuff when it's nothing compared to so many others". Then I got active in safety & awareness issues.

I've contacted the press, local organizations, & my state & federal congressmen. It helped my healing process big time. I think of myself as "A Rider Taken Down But Not Silenced".

When I think I've got no more to offer, I just remind myself how stiff & sore I was getting out of bed today, and know I don't want someone else to go through it. It helps ease some of the guilt I carry for being so lucky.

I wish the best for all of you. Keep your spirits up & don't stop reaching for the next goal that you WILL achieve.

i really appreciate how you put things into the context of an entire life time. because it sure feels like it will be forever to be in the hospital for three months and endure the pain of losing a limb.

i am glad to check back in and see your encouraging words. i have yet to have a leg made that i can walk on, but i'm continuing the hunt and working with someone who's not willing to give up on me. thanks for being willing to testify.

j