Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hey--New amputee rider here

Hey.

New police officer/motorcycle rider amputee here. Two months ago I was finishing up my last day of work before my scheduled vacation. I pulled out of our fueling area and got hit broadside. Now my department has one less motorcycle and I have one less foot. But I'm coming back strong and plan to be back on a bike as soon as they get me fitted with a new foot in the next few weeks. Still, it's taken a lot of geting used to, and it's not over yet by a long shot. I'm interested in hearing from others who've been here, and sharing my thoughts and experiences here and on my personal blog at: http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/

Stay safe out there. They aren't paying attention.

Re: Hey--New amputee rider here

Great to have you here brother Bear, and to hear that your coming along fine. Keep the spirit and passion to ride, we are with ya 100% Bear.

Don't hesitate to keep us up to date, ok?

With all my respect and honor, Bear,

Garry Van Kirk
www.bacsuv.com

Hey Bear
Have not been there but only by the grace of God. In one trike safety course I took the instructor told us that you have to imagine yourself as invisible. I have been keeping that in the back of my mind daily. It worked: I was traveling south on Hwy 95 through Bullhead City, Az. when a couple in a small car decided to make a lane change...into my lane and trike bike.....I managed to swerve into the center divider and laid on the horn. Several miles further I had the opportunity to come up along side them. I do not use foul language and do not get road rage. I simply yelled loud enough for them to hear above the sound of my Harley "Have I done something to offend you?" The male driver 70+ shook his head no. "Then why did you try to kill me back there?" He shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something like "I didn't see you". "How can you not see me. I am wearing bright clothing, I am riding a bright yellow Harley trike that is 55 inches across. If you had looked out your left window I was extrememly visable." He shrugged again. "Maybe you need to be re-examined for a vehicle operators license?" Again he shrugged. The traffic was starting to move so I gave him my last comment: "If you cut me off again, or I see you cut off any other motorcycle, I will stop your car, throw away the keys, and tear up your license." He kept his eyes forward and hurried off. It was not an idle threat, I took down his license number and it is a small town. I will gladly face the consequenses of my actions in the name of motorcycle safety. I would rather pay a fine for my actions then attend the funeral of a rider.
Police and Firemen do a heck of a job. My hat is off to you. I know you will be up and riding again soon and remember: you are invisible, not invinceable.
God Bless
Grey Wolf

Hello Bear,
So sorry to learn of your accident. But you sound strong of spirit. Keep the confidence in yourself. Remember that it typically takes up to two years or a little longer to fully come to terms with and adjust to an amputation. Please also remember that it's typical for people to go through the stages of loss : Denial, Anger, Bargening, Depression, Acceptance. These stages most often come and go with the ordr changing from time to time. This is a normal reaction. Eventually Acceptance will set in. You'll be ok. Hang in there.
Best wishes,
Brenda Bates, M.A. CH.t
aka : The Bike Psych

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey.

New police officer/motorcycle rider amputee here. Two months ago I was finishing up my last day of work before my scheduled vacation. I pulled out of our fueling area and got hit broadside. Now my department has one less motorcycle and I have one less foot. But I'm coming back strong and plan to be back on a bike as soon as they get me fitted with a new foot in the next few weeks. Still, it's taken a lot of geting used to, and it's not over yet by a long shot. I'm interested in hearing from others who've been here, and sharing my thoughts and experiences here and on my personal blog at: http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/

Stay safe out there. They aren't paying attention.

Nem AKA here. Well new as of a yr ago. I was doing about 25 mph on a city street when I was hit by a guy running from the police. He was doing almost 100 mph and hit me almost head on. Lost my left leg but not my desire to ride. I now have a Harley FXDWG with a side car on it. Havent given up on 2 wheels though. That is down the road though. People do not see us because we are not the size and shape they are looking for. they are looking for a CAR. We must have a circle around us that we look out for others in. The faster we go whe wider the circle. DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING OUTSIDE THAT CIRCLE. For the first time in 50 yrs of riding I violated that rule. I looked down the street (outside that circle) to see what all the lights were. Cop car lights. I didnt see the guy comming till he was about 10 ft away from me. Just a flash of white. Funny thing, I heard him hit me. Did'nt feel it but heard it. Do not make my mistake and always leavy yourself an out.
One think more
NOT RIDING IS NOT AN OPTION

Larry, thanks for your input, your a great inspiration to us all here. We welcome your return, with greatist respect, brother!

Garry
======================================================

Nem AKA here. Well new as of a yr ago. I was doing about 25 mph on a city street when I was hit by a guy running from the police. He was doing almost 100 mph and hit me almost head on. Lost my left leg but not my desire to ride. I now have a Harley FXDWG with a side car on it. Havent given up on 2 wheels though. That is down the road though. People do not see us because we are not the size and shape they are looking for. they are looking for a CAR. We must have a circle around us that we look out for others in. The faster we go whe wider the circle. DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING OUTSIDE THAT CIRCLE. For the first time in 50 yrs of riding I violated that rule. I looked down the street (outside that circle) to see what all the lights were. Cop car lights. I didnt see the guy comming till he was about 10 ft away from me. Just a flash of white. Funny thing, I heard him hit me. Did'nt feel it but heard it. Do not make my mistake and always leavy yourself an out.
One think more
NOT RIDING IS NOT AN OPTION
Email: tlrsar@pacbell.net

Congratulations on surviving.
You did not say which leg or above or below knee.

I am BK on the right leg due to being t-boned about 4 years ago by a teenager who did not understand Stop.

I added a pedal extension to make my brake pedal stick out further from the bike so I could engage it, darn prostheses are not flexible. Other than that no other modifications.

It is impossible to hook up all the tiny plumbing lines in your leg so it will swell when not elevated until you grow new ones. This translates into pain as the leg swells against the prosthesis and creates pressure. This limited me to about 50 miles at first but I can now do 600 mile plus days.

I was terrified of intersections at first and still retain a healthy wariness. Good luck: get somebody who listens and responds to you to make your prosthesis. This may be one of the most intimate and important relationships you have going forward.

Porkchop

Bear
Been there and done that, LOL. Lost left foot same way.
Hang in there buddy.

Re: Re: Hey--New amputee rider here

Sorry for not checking back here very often. The replies here are definitely appreciated.

I'm finally to the point where I'm starting to run with my new foot. It ain't pretty but like everything else, I expect it to get easier. I actually tried riding another bike about a month ago when I lucked onto a small bike dealership with bikes outside and a salesman who screwed up and let me tool one around the lot. His boss came out and quickly stopped this, as customers can't test-ride the bikes, but not before I proved to myself that I can shift with the side of my foot on the end of the shifter.

I also learned that the release button for my foot is too long right now, as I hit it on the bike frome during a shift and made the foot fall off right in front of the salesman and his boss, neither of whom knew about the prosthesis. Kinda embarrassing. Oh well--live and learn.

And to those who inquired, it's left leg btk.

I'll try to pop in a bit more now that I'm getting back on the computer. Stay safe--**** drivers aren't paying attention.

Re: Re: Re: Hey--New amputee rider here

Glad you're up and about. I had the release pin moved to the outside of my leg for just that reason.
Another tip, get a thin piece of leather and glue it as a tent over the release pin so that when it vibrates out you don't lose it. Don't ask me how I know!
Porkchop

Best of luck. Stay strong.
Cat