Return to Website

Brother Larry Ritchey                      " Free Spirit " Artist: Jillane Curreen

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,  to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.  They are there for the reason you need them to be.  Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.  Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.  Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.  What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.  The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.  

There are many different responses to crisis. Most survivors have intense feelings after a traumatic event but recover from the trauma; others have more difficulty recovering — especially those who have had previous traumatic experiences, who are faced with ongoing stress, or who lack support from friends and family — and will need additional help.

What you share in this forum, may prevent that next Accident, that next Casualty

Make sure to add your Website and e-mail address !

On any given thread click the mail box or the PC icon for email and URL addresses

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legal Information Moderator

I have agreed to serve as moderator of this forum to provide a resource of information for those with legal issues related to their status as an amputee and/or accident victim.

I am a right leg amputee and an experienced civil trial attorney. My practice has a special emphasis on the representation of amputees in catastrophic injury litigation as well as in disability discrimination and accommodation cases. So, I am familiar with many of the legal challenges faced by amputees. I have also represented many bikers in the past.

Typically, most amputees have to deal with the legal system almost immediately, particularly if they have lost a limb due to the negligence of others. An amputation can be the result of medical negligence, an industrial accident, a defective product, a truck , bike or car accident, and other causes. After being involved in a catastrophic injury, the last thing that most people want to worry about is how to protect their legal rights. Unfortunately, prompt action is often essential to preserve evidence and determine the cause of the injury.

Apart from the legal issues that arise after initial injury, amputees have legal rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act that relate to their employment and access to facilities. The ADA is a complex federal statute that provides protections to disabled Americans. Many states also have separate statutes that provide additional protections.

So, the two broad categories of legal topics that I am most often asked about are:

1. What should I do to preserve my rights after being involved in a catastrophic injury?

2. What are my legal rights under the ADA to receive reasonable accommodation in employment?

Certainly, other motorcycle or amputee related posts are welcome as well.

However, it is important to emphasize that I am not going to provide specific legal advice in this forum or create an attorney-client relationship with anyone posting on this site solely by virtue of my role as moderator. I am here to facillitate discussion and point people to resources that are available on the internet and otherwise that may be of assistance.

It is also important to remember that there is no confidentiality when you post a question in this forum. If you wish to speak with me privately, feel free to send me an email.

I look forward to hearing your questions and concerns and hope this forum will be a great benefit to the members of this site.

Re: Legal Information Moderator

I have a question for the group. My son (now 20) was hit by an SUV driver in Amarillo a bit over 2 years ago. He is now an amputee, left leg, below knee. The other driver was at fault and ticketed. His insurance was not sufficient to pay even the medical bills accumulated. All the medical facilities except University Medical Center in Lubbock were understanding and waived their fees to accept the insurance payments. My hospitalization covered him to a large amount, but the hospital in Lubbock is suing me (covered employee-insurance in my name) for several thousand more dollars. This has absolutely ruined my credit, but my question: Is there any kind of federal "made whole" statute which would force these bills back on the deadbeat who was at fault? You know how expensive prostheses are, and I realize I will probably be helping buy these until my son has sufficient income for this. We did get a lawyer who tried to advocate with the medical providers. All except the Lubbock hospital complied. They did a nationwide assets search on the guy, but he owned virtually nothing.
Thanks for any responses.