The Lee Majors Forum

Lets talk Lee

The Lee Majors Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lee's bio brother and sister

Biological mom Alice is somewhat of a mystery. Both she and Carl falsified their ages on their marriage license because they were underage to marry in Michigan. It's believed she was the daughter of Scandinavian immigrants who settled in PA. I've seen a couple of photos of Carl Sr. as a very young man and he looked like a darker version of a young Lee. Same eyes and expression. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a photo of her but my guess would be that Alice was fair, as her son Carl was even more of a towhead than his brother. Betty had darker hair like her father.

Interesting discussion. I've always wondered about Betty, did she marry? kids? where does she live? Things like that. It must have been very hard on her and Carl to lose their family like that. Maybe one family member couldn't take all 3 in so they had to be split up.

Yes, Betty married, had a family, and ultimately settled in Ohio.

I can't say for sure of course, but my guess is the age differences between Alice Yeary's three children played a role in where they ended up after her tragic death. Had Betty been just a little older she may have been able to raise her brothers on her own. Especially with the war shortly thereafter providing so much work for young women. Had the boys been closer in age, maybe more of an effort might have been made to keep them together. But that's just speculation; it's not possible to go back over 70 years and put oneself in the shoes of any of the people making such decisions. Bottom line is that the family of Carl Yeary stepped up and raised his orphaned boys. And regardless of how it was handled, I believe they were both immensely grateful for that.

That is a good point, Misty. This is what families should do - step up when needed. Even if the situation is not perfect, family did their job and took in the children.