D.I.D. a Legitimate Diagnosis
[Message Forum]

Guestbook

I Candy Little being the only operator of this web site and Message Forum comply with C.O.P.P.A. [Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998] with the new requirements for protecting children's privacy online and understand the FTC's enforcement authority; Therefore I do not collect any type of information from children under the age of 13.

Candy Little

Copyright Statement / Privacy Statement  / Disclaimer Statement

D.I.D. A Legitimate Diagnosis Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Waiting on results of tests

This is my first time posting here. I've been trying to convince my therapist that I might have DID/MPD. I've showed her some of my handwriting. I made a list the best I could to explain what i'm talking about. I do hear voices but they are all in my head not from outside myself. When I write it's in many different handwritings. I have labeled some of them. the Monster, the teenager, the little one, And the adult. I met with my T last week and I don't remember much of the conversation. Can anyone let me know if I might have DID/MPD. Maybe you can let me know how this has affected your life.

Re: Waiting on results of tests

Hi CWDancer! It's nice to have you post on the board! Of course there are a lot of other disorders and illnesses that tend to mimic MPD/DID but so far the things you have written here in your post are right on.
How long have you suspected MPD/DID?
YOu asked how this has affected our life; well MPD/DID is our life, we live it minute by minute and it every aspect of our life is controled by all of us inside.
It affects our mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health and well being. In other words our alters, dissociation and confusion has always been our way of life from day one since our abuse began as an infant.
Of course there's so much more to tell and I would love to share but would you like to bounce some questions off of us? Maybe you are in need of support, well this is the place to come.
I know someone will come along and chat with you some more. I'll try to check back in a day or so!
In the mean time hang in there and don't forget to journal your every thought (well as much as you can).
I'll talk to you later!
Have a wonderful day!
Candy

Thanks Candy for replying to my post. The test results that I'm waiting for is to see if I have a siezure disorder. But I do have a question. Do you know when you are switching personalities? Sometimes I am, and then I don't. My mom says that sometimes I talk like a baby. I thought I might be DID/MPD For a couple of years now. I was worried that if I talk about it then my Psych team wouldn't believe me. They might think that I'm just looking for another diagnosis. I did tell one of my therapists and he said that he would bring it up to the Dr. But I never heard from her.So I stopped talking about it. Now I have a great therapist and we're trying to talk about it. A couple of years ago, when I was staying in a crisis facility, my room mate had DID/MPD and we got talking one day. I told her that the only time that I got in trouble in school was the time in elementry school. We were told to write a report on any state we choose. I wrote mine about Texas. Since I lived there for 6 years. I wrote a couple of pages. My teacher called me up to her desk and said that I would have to do it over because she didn't believe that I wrote it because it was in so many different handwritings. I had to stay after school to rewrite it. Even my cousin was saying that she watched me do it myself but the teacher wouldn't believe us. Even to this day when I write something it is still in many handwritings. Also sometimes when I'm talking to someone it feels that I'm standing on the side and I'm watching the conversion. But I can't here what is bieng said. Then I come back and try to get back into the conversion. It's pretty hard sometimes. Well I guess I'm done rambling. I hope to hear from you or anyone else here. Thank You, CWDancer

Well sometimes I do know when we switch if it's a sudden one but there are times when somebody switchews in and it's so sutle that it takes a while for me to tell what's going on.
I know what you mean about when you stopped talking about it when you never heard back from the other doctor. I think that's why so many people don't believe us, because we "survivors" don't push the issue for fear of what others would say and think of us. I know I'm very guilty of this.
You poor thing, I can't believe that teacher made you rewrite everything, she should have tested your writing skills first so you wouldn't have to go through all that but that's just my opinion!
But I've always known that my handwriting was different and it used to make me crazy! I always wished that I could write the same way every time like my friends and never could understand it until I got diagnosed of course.
And I have the same problem with conversations too, I used to try to explain to my therapist what it felt like but I think you put it much better than I ever have. It is very hard to get back into the conversation for me because I miss so much of it that I don't know how to jump in and make it sound like it's been me talking all along. I do have one friend who points out that sometimes I don't make sense because the subject matters jump around so much and of course it's the switching alters that causes that.
I can relate to everything you talk about however I want to be very careful here because I am not a doctor and am not trained to diagnose any mental disorder or conditions.
I do know that there are alot of other disorders that tend to mimic MPD/DID but that's all I know on that subject I really haven't done much research on it but I guess it wouldn't hurt though to start reading up on other diagnosis.
Anyway I can certainly see your delima, I hope that you and your therapist can come up with a diagnosis (whether that be MPD/DID or something else) soon so you can get down to the buisness of treatment and getting on with your life.
Please keep me informed and let me know what you all come up with! There are very nice people on this board and you will get alot of support and encouragement here.
I'll talk to you later!
Have a wonderful day!
Candy

Its no wonder that your therapist is unsure if you have dID. most if not all the time it isn't the client convincing the therapist that they HAVE DID. Its usually the therapist that tells the client that they may be DID and the client goes into denial phase.

So your therapist may feel you don't have DID because you are trying so hard to convince him/her that you are.

theres also more to being DID then talking like a child, and so on. if you are not exhibiting certain symptoms and behavours that ALL DID's exhibit that is not disclosed to the general public but therapists, psychiatrists and psychologists know about thats also a tell tale that you are not DID and are trying hard to convince him/her that you are what you are not.

Instead of trying to convince your therapist ask her for a refural to a psychiatrist so t hat you may take a comprehensive psychological evaluation with suplimental testing for DID. There is no way for you to fake your way through this testing. Its spread out over a two week time period and the tests are changed some every 6 months and some on a yearly basis, some are interview and some are computerized so there is no way you can find updated and actual tests on line or in a book. You can find outdated samples that leave out the questions geared to weed out the fakers but you cant find the actual ones in use now.

Once the testing is done you will have a complete report of what your disorders are, your funtioning level and treatment plan.

If you are diagnosed as being DID this testing will be done on a yearly basis to chart your progress and update your treatment plans, until you are no longer diagnosed as being DID so you will never again have to convince a therapist that you are DID. they will know just by the report that you are and your progress and what your treatment plan is. you and your therapist will just be following that specialized treatment plan that is for those that have DID.

I know from my own experience that not all t's will refer patients OR go the route of testing. I did ask on numerous occassions but felt loyal to my t I wasn't able to manuever thru doing that without his help. It would be nice if I client would not have to try to figure all this stuff out themselves. I know many t's don't want to 'label' but what happens is the treatment is not as effective as it could be.