D.I.D. a Legitimate Diagnosis
[Message Forum]

Guestbook

I Candy Little being the only operator of this web site and Message Forum comply with C.O.P.P.A. [Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998] with the new requirements for protecting children's privacy online and understand the FTC's enforcement authority; Therefore I do not collect any type of information from children under the age of 13.

Candy Little

Copyright Statement / Privacy Statement  / Disclaimer Statement

D.I.D. A Legitimate Diagnosis Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Help

I am a person that lives with DID. I have worked very hard to integrade and to live with what I have. I was blessed to be able to be a mother of a beautiful little girl. At the time of her birth, I was being "told" by some of my alters to not bring the baby home. I asked for help. I welcomed DHS to come into my life and watch over things. I was also in therapy. I worked very hard with my alters in therapy and was able to keep my little girl safe. DHS closed the case, saying that things were safe for her.

When my little girl was almost three years old (In Sept. of 2005), my husband committed suicide. A week later, DHS came and took my little girl from me, saying that they didn't think I could take care of her. Its been a year and a half and I'm still fighting for her.

Now,I'm being told by DHS,that they are going to recommend terminating my parental rights because of the assessments done one me. I've done everything possible and there is a very definite bond with me and my little girl.

I'm really desperate now. I'm looking for anyone that is a parent and has DID to please help me. I want to show the judge that a person with DID can be a safe parent for their child.

If you are someone that lives with this disorder, and you are a parent, I hope you will help me and my little girl.

You can email me at Reanate31463@aol.com.

Re: Looking for Help

You might want to check with your DHS social worker. Here in the USA the amount of time that a child can remain in foster care with the case coding labeled reunification is limited usually at one year and if the parent has not completed the requirements that enable the child to be returned the case coding is automatically turned over into do not return to parent.

Here all parents of children in foster care due to DHS removal have to go through psychological testing and must follow and complete the the recommended treatment plans listed on the psychological report.

Usually completing parenting classes are automatically a part of the requirements for the childs return. when completing this requirement make sure you are in a class that the instructor gives completion to satifaction certificates that you can give a copy to everyone on the case.

Full integration of alters where a person with dID is no longer considered having DID is usually the requirement for getting children back for parents who have DID which is why lawyers of DHS cases require their clients not to disclose this disorder to DHS, and this requirement is rarely completed in 10 years let alone 1 year.

A child according to DHS standards needs a parent that can appropiately supervise and care for the child. if the parent is switching into alters which are children and adult abuse memories then the child is not being cared for by the parent. instead the child is being played with by the parent acting like a child, acting afraid, acting anything but like a parent that is fully aware not dissociated into alters. In some cases the child feels like they must take care of the parent. and get emeshed in the parents prblems of being nervous, scared and so on.

Since you volluntarily told DHS that you had DID there is nothing your lawyer can do to get rid of that disclosure. All you can do now is prove to DHS that you are fully and completely integrated and no longer have DID and never will be switching into alters in the future. That is the only way your child will be returned.

To do th is you must learn and actively use appropiate ways to handle your problems other than dissociating. You must never again use floating away or being an alter when you experience something that makes you upset and uncomfortable.

You will need to take a comprehensive psychological evaluation with suplimental tests for DID. And that report must say that you no longer use dissociation as a way to escape your problems, that you no longer have separated pices of memories called alters that you are consciously and unconsciously acting out. You must be able demonstrate problem sovling skills and parenting skills, without getting frustrated and dissociate into an alternate personality. You will need to be demonstrate that you have a complete memory and own what happened to you as being your own memories. You will have to demonstrate that you know and accept that you do NOT have other children and people living in your mind, head, body. that everything that happened in your lifetime happened to you and you are responsible for everything that happens now and in the future, that it is you in control of your decisions and behaviours and it is you that accepts the consequenses of your decisions and behavours instead of blaming it on being DID and being an alter. Normal people do not blame other for their behavours and decisions and claim other people, and alters made them do things.

as for the termination of parental rights your lawyer can petition the court for more time. He may not be able to stop the process if its like here in the usa where there is a one year deadline. But its worth a try by asking for more time to get some psychological testing done. That way you may have another change to complete that new psychiatrists requirements. If not getting a new evaluation done can help stop the termination of parental rights so that even though your child isnt being returned you can have the parental right of visitation.

But over all the first step is getting a psychiatrist to write a report that you are no longer DID and never will be DID in the future and that you no longer have separated memories so you no longer switch into being alters consciously and unconsciously, that you are in complete control of yourself and your decisions.