Return to Website

Tintagelweb Forum

Welcome to a FREE service for the www.tintagelweb.co.uk Web site. Use this page for discussions, questions but please use the page sensibly. ENJOY!!

Tintagelweb Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tonkin family Camelford area. Family heritage

Hi, my name is Derek Wortley, I have for the past 2 years been researching my family heritage, which has been a challenge as my late father was adopted. I have since found that he was born in Pengelly in 1921. His father was a Sidney George Tonkin & mother Dora Tonkin (Nee Martin). Sidney left Dora for some reason & went to America in 1923 & remarried having 3 more children all of whom I have been in contact with.

I will be visiting Camelford on 22nd of February to try to make contact with relatives of the Tonkin family I know that Sidney had siblings born around 1900 named Thomas L, James D, Leoline M, Rose, Maggie,Dora (Who went to Canada) & John B.

I would especially like to find out what happened to my biological grandmother Dora Tonkin after 1925 when my father was taken into care. Dora along with her sister Blanche were brought up by her Aunt & Uncle Edwin & Mary Martin in St Blazey.

If anyone is able to provide me with any information It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Derek Wortley

Re: Tonkin family Camelford area. Family heritage

Hello Derek, Found this on the Internet, it has an email at the end about Dora Tonkin. Hope it helps you to further your research. Enjoy your time in the area.
Best wishes,
Sarah

Heather Chevalier, PAYNTERS CROSS / WIGGATON / DEVON / EXMOUTH / CORNWALL / GLOUCESTERSHIRE / CANADA
Dora Tonkin , d/o Thomas Tonkin and Eveline Jane Haynes (married 1891, reg. Camelford), born 13 Sept., 1902 in St. Teath, Cornwall, reg. Camelford. She worked at a post office, married Edgar Hylton Wells (b.1898 Clyst Hydon, Devon), son of Fred Wells (born c1868, Wiggaton , Devon- birth reg. at St. Thomas, Devon Co. , Dec. 1898 ) and Annie Beatrice Ponsford; born in Exmouth, Devon ). ANNIE Beatrice PONSFORD- Births Mar 1864 -born in Exmouth , Devon- she married Fred Wells in York - Marriage June 1887. In the 1891 Census, the census taker in Gloucestershire, noted Fred was born in Wigginton, Yorkshireshire... but he was born in Wiggaton, Devon. He married Annie in Yorkshire, and then lived in Gloucestershire, where their children were born, except Edgar, the youngest, who was born in Devon.
They came to Canada in 1927 with daughter, Evelyn Annie Wells, (age 4), born at Paynters' Cross, Cornwall, on 05 April, 1923. Dora, Edgar, and Evelyn lived in Saskatchewan, Canada and moved to Halifax, N.S. when he joined the navy in WW2.
Fred Wells shows as WILLIS in 1871 and 1881 with his parents, William and Elizabeth WILLIS ; his siblings (births reg. as WILLIS ) are : William b. 1857 ; Walter b. 1862 ; Emma b. 1865 ; Alma Mary b.1870 who married Charles Brewer ; Ada Jane b. 1873 . In the 1901 Census he shows as FRED WELLS.
Edgar's siblings are: Frederick James Wells birth reg. at Dursley, Gloucestershire, Dec. 1889; Leonard Wells birth reg. at Dursley, Gloucestershire, March 1891; George Aubrey Wells birth reg. at Dursley, Gloucestershire, June 1893; Annie Margaret Wells birth reg. at Dursley, Gloucestershire, March 1895;
Dora's siblings , all born in St. Teath, Cornwall, are: Thomas Leonard b. 1893; James Donald b. 1893; Leoline Mary b. 1895; Rose b. 1897 who married Earnest Brown & lived in Falmouth,Cornwall Co.,England; Sidney George b.1898 and lived in near Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.; Margaret (Maggie ) b.1900 who married 'unknown' Carthew & lived in Bodmin,Cornwall ; and John Barrett b.1905. We are searching for relatives still in England..... We live in Canada ...
chgnbnet.nb.ca

Re: Tonkin family Camelford area. Family heritage

Sorry Derek, got that all wrong. I don't know if you are in contact with a person researching this family from michigan called kbtonkin, I have forwarded your email address but you can email him yourself via kbtonkin with the following @excite.com (trying to avoid spam!)
Dora Martin was born between Jan and March 1898 in the St Austell District volume 5c pg89 looks like she may have had a twin called Charles Martin as they were registered around the same time. If I come across anything else I will get in touch. Best wishes,
Sarah