Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Secret Life of Dreams

I am not one who usually endorses books on dreams, other than Jungian related. But I have come across a new book by Clare Gibson, The Secret Life of Dreams which I believe will be invaluable for those who are new to dreams. And although this book isn't classified as a 'Jungian' book, it is for all practical purposes Jungian based {noting that Jung incorporated much of Freudian philosophy as well as other diverse views including astrology}.
This book is a Dream Dictionary extraordinaire, using illustrations as well as prolonged narratives to explain the possible meaning of dream symbols. The info is not far from what Jungian would have suggested, if different at all. For instance, under the topic of the Home the narrative goes as follows:
Dream homes can represent far more than just accommodation. Jung famously termed the house the "mansion of the soul", and most analysts agree that houses frequently transcend their mundane function as places of residence in our dreams to become symbols of our holistic selves: mind, body, and spirit; physique, personality, and aspirations; past, present and future. When interpreting a dream that featured a home or house, you'll therefore need to decide whether your dream was literal {if you were clearing out a 'dream' attic, is this a list of things to do?}
Note: this addresses the one aspect of the waking life
or whether it relates to some aspect of yourself {could your dream be telling you to sort through, maybe reassess, your spiritual values?}.
Note: this addresses the deeper aspect.
Taking note of the emotions that the house invoke in you, be they pride, satisfaction, safety, confusion, foreboding, or fear, will help you to clarify the dream message.

Another example of a popular dream symbol is the tree. Note the reference to Jung. The definition provides the deeper possibility of the dream symbol and also notes the personal aspect {following the dictate that all dreams have at least two meanings}
The Anatomy of the Tree

According to Jung, the tree is "a symbol of the self...depicted in the process of growth." If this interpretation rings true, recalling how a dream tree looked will tell you more about yourself and your personal growth. {If, however, you felt no personal connection with the dream tree, or its characteristics seemed more suited to an older or younger person, don't discount the possibility that it represented someone important in your life rather than you}
Note: This last explanation seems to be a stretch. I would think a tree that had connotations to an older or younger person would be speaking to the life of the dreamer and not some other person.

You get a glimpse of how the book projects the possible meanings of dreams from the above dream symbols. I haven't read through the entire book but from what I have read it is an excellent source for interpreting dream symbols. It has 400 pages full of illustrations and narrative and fits with how Jung would have looked at dream symbols. It is a bit pricey {$27.00} but well worth the money. An excellent book for the dream library.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: The Secret Life of Dreams

After giving more attention to this book the more I appreciate it. And the more the Jungian content I find within the pages. I highly recommend this book, not only for beginners but also for anyone who studies dreams. A great reference book for all.

A quick view of the table of contents will provide some insights to the Jungian connection.
1. Introduction
2. The Archetypes
3. Religion & Spirituality
4. Family Members
5. People
6. Positive Emotions
and so on

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: The Secret Life of Dreams

I want to reiterate the importance this book is to understanding dreams. I have been in contact with the publishers of the book {located in the UK} and hopefully The Secret Life of Dreams will find a new audience in the US. It is a superb book, far and above any I have come across that deals with dreams. It is available at Books-A-Million for $14.95 {a much better price than originally thought}.

If anyone has already reviewed the book I would be interested in your comments. I have no doubt that it will be seen as a truly great book. It is that good.

Before you buy the book, do as I did and take a look at it. It is available in all Books-A-Million stores.

Gerard

PS-No, I am not being compensated for promoting The Secret Life of Dreams. When I discover new resources as powerful as this book I must do all I can to get the word out.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present