Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Campbell Video-432,000-Nature and Numbers of the Universe

Many of you know of my fascination with the number nine. It all began with Joseph Campbell, of course. Here is the Campbell's explanation/exploration of the number 432,000. This is fascinating

Also of note. If you wish to 'copy' a particular video of the web {Google, MySpace, YouTube} for personal use you can do so with this page link. Although I have the Power of Myth available for viewing at MDS, I also have them on my home computer, without the link. I suggest if available that you use the .mp4 choice is offered. The page link is Keep VID.
Just copy the URL link into the box and click on which Download you desire {mp4 if offered}. Click save to your files. You may want to also download the Free FLV Player offered. It will let you view Flash Video. Check it out.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Joseph Campbell Video-432,000-Nature and Numbers of the Universe

I should mention, there are added commentaries by the producers of the film. This is the second time I've seen video of Campbell's lecture {the added commentary was spliced in with his lectures in this video}. I had heard it on audio previously. It is fascinating stuff.

The microcosm has the same rhythm as the macrocosm

The rhythm of the universe, and the individual life. There is a relationship. It is beyond comprehension as to what the source of life is {Campbell's 'God is a thought, but God is beyond thinking', is he or is he not?. Neither is or is not}, but where ever it started we do know it is all related. Jung talked the spiritual aspect. This is part of that. It is spiritual not just because it is mystical but because of our relationship to nature. If your 'religion' doesn't include nature, you are out of rhythm. Looking at the world around, I see a whole lot of 'out of rhythm'. Individually and collectively.

It reach 100 degrees today. It has been the hottest summer that I can remember {I've been a contractor in this area for 30 years}. Collectively 'we' are pushing the earth more out of rhythm by the day.

The number nine, and the Goddess. Let's not forget the power of the feminine. Those addicted to solely patriarchal philosophies will be the most shocked to discover at the end of time there is a 'she' waiting at the pearly gates and not a 'HE'.

Earth to earth, dust to dust. Mother Earth is suffering. Mayan prophocies says the end times will be in the year 2012 {December}. If we keep this pace up, the destruction of the planet by humans, that year could very well prove to be right.

Think metaphorical. Prepare for the literal.

Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Gerard,
Interesting. The added commentary threw me for a loop at first.

Regarding Earth…don’t give up yet. She’s a self regulatory natural system. I don’t doubt she has a few ideas on how to ‘self regulate’ humanity and stem the tide of dishonor. Look to nature, when one species overwhelms an area, a checkpoint effect rebalances the dominate species. When she’s had enough, she’ll kick humanity down a few notches numbers wise. What follows could be Darwin’s Natural Selection…on her terms…with care and guidance what remains can be more deeply intuitive and in tune with her. Life may be a bit difficult in some ways, clean water and such, for a while but with time she’ll regenerate. And easier in others. Of course, this doesn’t mean humanity can continue course unchecked of consumption and disregard. It’s do it ourselves or have it done for us. It’s our choice.

For anyone interested in Campbell, Jung, Houston, etc, etc try Half Price Books stores if you have one nearby. Had several Campbell audio sets (new in box) and good selection of Jung books, all at half price. Picked up Jung Dreams and the new one you recommended by Gibson – The Secret Life of Dreams.

Many thanks,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 45 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Re: Re: Joseph Campbell Video-432,000-Nature and Numbers of the Universe

gerard,
excellent stuff,i can see now, your own connection with the number and your intuitive feelings of great change afoot,the metaphorical great flood etc,
change that many of us are feeling the presence of,
perhaps my interest in building boats will be of use!

i read yesterday with great sadness that the ,
yangtse river dolphin has now become extinct,
as is usual,through mans disregard for his enviroment,
it seems we still can't even learn from our mistakes.

regards steve.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 51-uk

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? y

Thanks for introducing me to the Joseph Campbell philosophy Gerard. I had never heard of him before and found him on your
sister site
a couple of days ago. He is very wise and a true inspiration.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47 australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? n

I hope this doesn't turn into a long drawn out debate but, I thought God was an entity, not male nor female. This male or female manifestation is just something to help one understand God despite our inability to understand what God is.

by the way the video was excellent.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Kathy,
There isn't a Half Price store in my area. What box of Campbell's audio books did you purchase? I have found that audio books is a great way to learn, being able to listen as you drive. I have most of his audio books and I do value them.

Cavebear,
Build that boat. If the models are true you may need it when the oceans start to rise. The evidence is becoming more clear each year and what they are finding is worse than they had thought.
But don't try to take two of each species with you. That would require a very large boat.
{I like the story where dinosaurs lived with humans. Did Noah include two of each on the Ark?}.

Doug,
Campbell has changed so many lives. His articulation of Jungian thought makes it easy for ordinary minds {like mine} to understand the hidden 'gnosis' that is available to those who are able to cast off the literal and think more in metaphors. His investigation of the number 432,000 was incomplete but the one thing that stands out is it is an 'archetypal' number if there is such a thing. How it fits into everyday life is yet to be understood. But as with ocean tides there is an influence, to what degree is yet to be determined.

Carlos,
God is an entity. If that entity were flesh I personally believe it would be feminine {which is isn't, has never been}. In the context of the psyche I believe the feminine is superior to the masculine. And it is in that context I speak when I say God is feminine. The highest human quality, creativity and spirituality. It is mainly in the West that personifies God as masculine. A power grab which began in the Garden of Eden. A myth.
For me God is available to the senses. We merely need to step outside, within nature.

Gerard

yes there was an overturning of the guard at one point.

Peter Graves touches on it in his book "Greek Myths:1". I think he again touches it in his book, The white Goddess" but I am not sure because I started to read it long ago and never finished it.
But, peter
Graves' supposition is that woman were the first shaman as they had cycles like the moon cycles and mysteriously had babies and no one knew why - this is long ago in very primitive society. This is where the myth of a God that lived in a river or the wind, or whatever empragnated a woman and she gave birth to a child. As you may know God's having sex with normal women is replete in man's mythology and even religion as in Genesis it mentions that some giants, I think, had sex with mortal women. These are vestiges of that age.
Mr. graves also wrote a book on Hebrew myths where he goes over the two creation stories made into one story in Genesis. He goes over a myth where a woman named Lilith, the first human woman, was initially created with adam from the earth. She was kicked out of eden for trying to dominate adam.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

Gerard,

No Campbell this time. Opted for Dreams and Dreams this trip. Not recalling dreams for some time now. Partly due to chaotic work hours. Time to force the issue by focusing on dream work. I enjoy audio for the work commute. Had Cambell's Western Quest CD set which looks interesting as yet only skimmed Arthurian myth.

Many thanks,
Kathy

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kathy,
Campbell's take on the Arthurian romances is excellent. For me, he has captured the 'amour, the true essence of these 'of the heart' myths. A phase in the hero adventure, reflective of the human soul, the 'love' of the heart. The hero journey does include such affairs, it is inevitable, its being human. Campbell puts into poetic form, with a language and vocabulary all can understand. Again, an example of his great ability to articulate 'truths'.

One of my favorite poems, and one I know you have read, from the Power of Myth:

The Love of Tristan and Isolde

An Arthurian Romance

So through the eyes love attains the heart:

For the eyes are scouts of the heart,

And the eyes go reconnoitering

For what it would please the heart to possess.

And when they are in full accord

And firm, all three, in the one resolve,

At that time, perfect love is born

From what the eyes have made welcome to the heart.

For as all true lovers

Know, love is perfect kindness,

Which is born - there is no doubt - from the heart and the eyes.

-Guiraut DE Borneilh {ca. 1138 - 1200?}

From Joseph Campbell's 'The Power of Myth'

I have the Western audio books {purchased years ago before CDs -BCD?}. There was a couple of years when I did a lot of interstate travel and I spend hours listing to his audio books, lectures and interviews, over and again. PLus whatever Jungian audio books that became available {Marion Woodman perhaps the best, along with Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Great way to learn, comprehend, and understand.

Carlos,
Joseph Campbell also expounded often on the earliest human recognition of the influences of the cycles of the sun and moon. The small statue of a woman, dated as one of the earliest, holding one hand up {to the moon} and placing one hand over her womb {menstrual cycle}. Perhaps the beginning of myth itself.

Jung, and Campbell understood the relationhsip of psyche, to myth to dreams. The primitive mind is still active {this the universal, archetypes, the original self} and available {the intuitive power, that extra sensory, gnosis}. It is not really mystical, it is natural.

And note, it is the feminine aspect.

Lilith, kicked out of heaven because she dared challenge man. An origin of our Western religious dogma, perhaps. The Christian church has always feared the feminine. Greek mythology was a special danger, with their gods and goddesses.

Kathy. Have you had time to look over 'The Secret Life of Dreams'? I would like your thoughts on the book. And anyone else who has used or read the book.

Gerard

yes the hebrew mythology was changed and Lilith was cast out and made evil. This was a refleddtion of a power struggle in their culture.

Cathalocism actually brought some female spirituality back with the mother of christ. The protestants removed her.
I frankly like to believe he/she is an entity. No sex id needed, unless it is important to the person worshipping, and whether a person believes God is male or female tells you more about the person than it tells you about God.

Gerard,
I'm working through Jung Dreams now. Have not read Gibson yet though a quick skim it appears comprehensive. I'll post when read. Thanks for the resource recommendations.

Many thanks,
Kathy

Kathy,
The comprehensiveness of the book {The Secret Life of Dreams} is what is so great about it. When I happened upon the book at Book-A-Million I first thumbed through it to see if there was any validity. The more I looked the more I was amazed at how much it reflected Jungian philosophy. The description of the symbols gets to the deeper aspects of the possibilities as well as the ego possibilities. But more than anything it fits with what I see as a Jungian approach, in much deeper detail.

Gerard

stats from 7-14-10 to the present