Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
snake and dog attack

I dreamt a snake was on the ceiling of a home I lived in with my mother. I was frightened although wasn't sure if it was a snake or a lizard as it also seemed to have legs. I ran downstairs to tell my mother and get her help to remove it. She was walking into the house past a woman who was pushing a stroller. I told my mother about the snake, she said "You need to learn to accept nature".

Then the dream switched to my current home where the snake/lizard also appeared. Suddenly the snake, that was on the ceiling, attacked a dog that was lying on the sofa next to me. When the snake attacked the dog it seemed to be absorbed by the dog - and vanished (as if the power of the snake entered into the dog.)Then the dog became viscious and began to attack me.....I woke up at this point.

(PS - It might be useful to know that I am a new mother....I gave birth to a son about four weeks ago...).

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Anna

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 39 Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: snake and dog attack

Anna,
What the snake {or lizard} represents is key to understanding your dream. I'll address that later.
I do have an opinion of what the dream message may be but I will break it down so to help understand the possibilities.

A ceiling in the context of your dream may represent your intellect-as opposed to intuitive self. The frightening feelings you had toward the snake {or lizard} is powerful enough to have legs, or emotional energies.

Let's look at the first part of the dream.
I sense the mother symbolism has more to do with you as a mother than your actual mother
{although there may be associations to her also-perhaps representing wisdom-wisdom being an intuitive trait, intuitive being symbolized in the dream "I ran downstairs"}.

The house is you {you being the mother}. Another part of you is pushing a stroller. The snake, it is a part of nature and needs to be accepted. Most likely this is something you need to realize about yourself, perhaps related to recent experiences in your waking life.
Could the woman pushing the stroller symbol fit here?

Second part of the dream
Now you are in your own home {not shared with your mother}. The emotions are the same. The snake/lizard attacks the dog. The symbolism here {dog} is important also. A possible meaning for the dog other than its animal nature would be adaptability. The dog consumes the snake/lizard and attacks you.

This is what I take away from the dream. The snake/lizard would represent transformation, your transformation. The most recent transformation in your life is your new baby. The reference to the shared home with your mother may suggest shared experiences - both with a new baby. What was your early childhood like with your mother? Are you repeating the same experiences she possessed? The snake/lizard is present in both homes.

Has there been a lot of pressure cast upon you {a transformation of sorts} since you had your baby? Has this pressure/transformation caused you to 'turn vicious', the built up pressure from new motherhood being at times a burden? Your transformation {snake/lizard} into motherhood is a welcome thing but there are a lot of pressures that can consume you {dog consuming the positive emotions of motherhood}. Can this be a plausible explanation to your dream?

Back to the shared home with your mother. Are there inherent traits that you now recognize about yourself that may fit your own mother? Jung tells us that dreams most often address two aspects of the dreamer's life. On would be your own experiences of motherhood and the other the similarities to your mother's actions/experiences as a young mother.

Let me know your thoughts and perhaps we will be able to sort through the possibilities and gain insights to the true explanation of the dream {if different from the above}.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Ceilings in dreams when referred to specifically as part of the dream recall represent the beliefs and limitations of these beliefs one lives under. These beliefs were probably first developed out of your relationship with your mother, or at some point specific in the past, and are now being shown to you more specifically, the guise these limitations reveal themselves through is that wonderful symbology of the snake, an age old symbol for sexuality and on particular ones relationship with the body.

Males and females with negative body images or relationships to their body and sexuality often dream of snakes that threaten the dreamer in some way.

Your mothers role in your dream here reflects how you ae relating to your own mother energy, ie that part of you that nurtures, nourishes and accepting towards yourself, its the same energy that you will draw on to raise your children with love, care and acceptance, your own internal mother wisdom speaks to you to soften your fear around your current sense of your sexulality and the beliefs that accompany how you feel in your body, 'you need to learn to accept nature' this comment arises from within your own self its almost as if on some level you have been feeling fear around your bodyimage/sexuality and it is thus imposing on you or limiting you in some way.

The switch from your old home to your new home indicates that these fears were actually born out of the past and some recent experience, possibly your child birth has triggered these same fears to arise in self again.

Dogs are symbollic of the masculine aspect of self which pertains to our thoughts and our doing self the form that enables our energies to have impact, presnce and manifesting abilities here in the physical world, often driven by 'natural instinct' that is based in a physical world awareness, your dream suggests that your current fears around Body image/sexuality how you feel in your body has basically been absorbed by and is impacting how you 'do' things as opposed to being motivated by your natral instincts, your instinctual behaviour now becomes vicious, on edge, ready attack at the smallest thing.

If you have been feeling this way lately, ready to bite snarl and attack, it is then important to understand this instintual response is born out of fears that relate to ones sexuality, body sense of self. The medical profession tends to write this behaviour off as being hormonal changes which is true but the hormonal changes are really only a reflection of our emotional/mental state of being, as our seven main hormonal glands are sensitive our mental emotional behaviour.

These are just some avenues to explore, the best interp for a dream is done by the dreamer themselves so go for what feels true for you.

Goodluck marce

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35, uk

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? y

First...a response to Gerard...with thanks.

I am not sure about repeating patterns regarding my own mother. We have had a troubled replationship; perhaps then what I fear is the repitition of this trouble with my own child.

My intellect dominates...and I admit as a career woman (academic) ..I have found the transition to motherhood VERY difficult...wonderful but difficult. Especially handing over (to some degree) the rythm of my day to that of the babys....this lends itself to your interpretation re. intellect....

Perhaps my maternal self is growing/developing and their is a fear related to this...espcially as I have been a stuanch feminist who, ostensibley rejected motherhood to this point.

Does this add anything? Generally, I think what you wrote rings true....

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} fermale

ThanksMarce....I relate to what you wrote for two reasons:
1. I have found breast feeding quite difficult emotionally....I have a very demanding baby and feel a certain negativity (laced with positive aspects) in relation to his constant breast feeding..
2) Quite frankly I miss sex with my partner...we have limited sexual - even physical contact now the baby is here and there is some resentment about that ...not twoards the baby per se...just generally.

Cheers
Anna

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Anna,
These aspects of your life do seem to fit the dream language. Of course the important thing is whether they ring true for you. With your follow-up reply that seems to be the case.

As for the snake being swallowed by the dog. We enter Freudian territory with the snake representing the penis. You state you miss sex since the baby arrived. That would leave us with the symbol of the dog which has absorbed the snake. If you consult the Dream Dictionaries you will probably find a fit. The dog could represent the masculine, or the animal instincts {sex}. Of course that too should fit with your waking life.

The mother aspect could be addressing 'fear is the repetition of this trouble with my own child'. That could be a central theme of the dream, along with the snake and the dog {we can never dismiss the importance of the sexual aspect}. The thing to remember about dreams is they state your true emotions. Sometimes these emotions are realized, often they are oberlooked for their importance. Knowing those true feelings can help in adjusting the waking life to bring back balance and harmony. The new life seems to be a bit off balance with te arrival of your new born.

Is the baby a boy? If so that could be the symbol of the snake being absorbed by the dog.

What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails,
And puppy dog tails,
That's what little boys are made of.

If it is a girl. She would be twice as nice.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 57 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Aha....yes...I had a beautiful boy....so all that symbolism fits.....

I wish I was remebering more dreams but as a new mother barely reach REM sleep ...

With thanks aagin Gerard...always generous.

cheers
Anna

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

stats from 7-14-10 to the present