Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dream control

i have tried to find if anyone else not only knows they are dreaming when asleep but can actually decide that as im asleep its my dream and i can do as i please..i do this regularly,sometimes i sit back and let the dream take its course other times i decide to activly change it.quite often this is because it is becoming a bad dream(i had a lot wen young)or other times its as the dream is repetative(trying to answer a crossword)its frustrating to try to read while asleep your making up words to read u self.asked loads of places but all i get is yeah i once woke myself up..much more i could say...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 39 and 3/4

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: dream control

chris,
You are engaged in lucid dreaming when you attempt to take control of your dreams. Lucid dreaming is not something I dwell on since I believe it deviates from the control of the unconscious content, and intent, and gives 'sleeping consciousness' the power to control the dream. My belief is it removes much of the therapeutic value of the dream for the ordinary person. If the dreamer tries to focus on controlling the dream the dream is less affective in its attempt to 'balance' the psyche. Just as you described in your post, you rather have fun controlling the dream content instead of letting that content 'speak' to you.

On the other hand Stephen LaBerge {the leader in the study of lucid dreaming} presents strong evidence that lucid dreaming is effective, if there is not that attempt to take full control of the dream. Just as with a dreamer who has recurring dreams that lead to a certain place {within the dream} only to stop at the same point over and over again {often the result of repressed information within the unconscious the dreamer does not want to acknowledge}, being able to take control and get past those barriers through lucid dreaming can reveal the unconscious content that is being repressed. Instead of taking control of the dream {and having unconscious fun} the dreamer is participating in the dream with the determination of self discovery. It takes many years of practice to use lucid dreaming as a proper tool. It is not something I encourage since most people are ignorant of the therapeutic powers of the dream and give little notice to their sleeping mind.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

lucid dreaming may spoil the thereputic value of the natural dream state which i may agree with but it is a hole lot better than lying under the bed in such fear you cannot move or waking up on the floor with a black eye and a bruised face damage sustained whilst still asleep . i used to hurt myself whilst asleep and not wake up and also used to be woken up in pain when there was no injury . being in some way in control of this or simply knowing i am asleep does not really stop my nightmares it stops them getting out of hand.just to add
since posting i have had bad dreams but not big..

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

chris,
You raise a whole different issue when you say "it is a hole lot better than lying under the bed in such fear you cannot move or waking up on the floor with a black eye and a bruised face damage sustained whilst still asleep". This sounds more like a form of night terrors and your lucid dreaming is a mechanism against such terrors. Have you researched this condition? Here is a brief description of the condition and its treatment:

Though the symptoms of night terrors in adolescents and adults are similar, the etiology, prognosis and treatment are qualitatively different. Adult night terrors are much less common, occasionally trauma-based rather than genetic, chronic, and often respond to treatment in the form of psychotherapy and antidepressant medication. There is some evidence of a link between adult night terrors and hypoglycemia.

In addition to night terrors, some adult night terror sufferers have many of the characteristics of abused and depressed individuals including inhibition of aggression, self-directed anger, passivity, anxiety, impaired memory, and the ability to ignore pain.

It is a parasomnia. A parasomnia involves undesired events that come along with sleep.

Explore this condition and others offered at web sites dedicated to sleep problems {such as Sleep Education.com. You may find simple solutions to your problem. And with your experience with lucid dreaming you may be able to turn that into something very positive.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

hi just want to say that i dont feel i have a problem at all . when i started the conversation i really just wanted to find out if anyone else besides myself who knew they were asleep could as i sometimes do instead of wakeing up say sod it and change the course.these dreams are not always bad,sometimes i wke up tickled pink i just want to laugh and cannot wait to tell the joke or funny thought but most often there isnt really anything to tell its a natural happy drug bursting through my asleep brain....bad dreams or nice dreams i sorted the problem out myself so there is hope for anyone even outside the confines of self help or phsycotherepy.dreams are amazing some of mine are epics better than films.embrace your dreams and realise they are sometimes your own subcontios trying to trick you...the original ME , MYSELF , and I.
three states that always live together.
if you can try it
got to go got to sort the other computer for my wife.nice talking though and possibly lots more to say.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present