Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
torn dictionary of the Bible

My husband (a pastor in waking life) comes to me and shows me what has happened to one of the volumes of his Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. "How could you do this?" he says. The cover is torn, maybe even ripped off. But I recognize it as the Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. He opens it and shows me that pictures have been drawn all over the pages by our son, Adam, who is about 11 years old in the dream. I admire one of the pictures. It is a very detailed drawing of a shoe. He based his drawing on a drawing of a shoe in the dictionary. I seem to be responsible for this torn book. I turn through the pages. What I see reminds me of the black-and-white Sears and Roebuck catalogues I used to look at a lot as a child. I say to my husband, "It's all just ads and pictures, anyway!" My husband is exasperated with this explanation. I feel bad that I allowed the book to be abused.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: torn dictionary of the Bible

Harriet,
There seems to be a disconnect with your husbands theology and your own spiritual needs. And it may be {or at least a desire} something you want your son to follow up on {follow his own spiritual path}. The detailed drawing of the shoe {if it fits} from the Sears and Roebuck catalog {is it still called Sears and Roebuck?} may suggest you are looking at life through a more objective prism than your husband. Is there a disconnect in your waking life when it comes to his spirituality? Or a guilt that is caused because you unconsciously resist his spiritual path?
Have you discovered your true spiritual path?

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thanks. I have definitely been disconnecting from the church and following my own spiritual path, though I'm not really sure what my path is! I guess you often don't know what path you're on. I hadn't connected the shoe with the path, but that seems to fit, too. Yes, Roebuck is long gone from the Sears name. But since it appeared in my dream, I wonder if my unconscious was making a sort of bad joke on the masculine/feminine with Roe being feminine and Buck masculine. I have heard that dreams can take that kind of literal approach to get your attention. My son has grown up to become someone who does follow his own spiritual path through music, and I am glad of that. Maybe the dream is reminding me that my son and I both came out of that more traditional spiritual path and that we learned from it and used it. And maybe the dream is reminding me that I have been "ripping apart" the church in a way, that I have allowed that more traditional approach to spirituality to be abused and abused it myself.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

harriet,
Your 'maybes' sound very plausible with the dream. The spiritual disconnect does seem to be what the dream is focusing on in general. I saw the shoe as something that fits both you and your son, the different spiritual paths as opposed to the religious tradition of your husband {how has that worked out, the conflicts in spiritual paths?}. Adam drew the shoe, the one picture you admired. You are responsible for the 'torn book', metaphor for your son's choice of spiritual paths, being torn away from your husband's tradition spiritual path.

The bad feelings, 'maybe' the guilt for abandoning your true spiritual path, your true spiritual self, your TRUE SELF.

Dreams first and foremost focus on the TRUE SELF. And the conflicts associated with being that person. And once you discover that true self, taste the true spiritual nature within you, you can never go backwards without the unconscious objecting to the false identity that you have to live with in your waking life.

The positive aspect of your son's spiritual path, is that a negative in your relationship with your husband? Could the dream be addressing negative aspects between you and your husband? "How could you do this?" he says. An accusatory statement. Does that fit somewhere with waking life experiences?

the spiritual path is a psychological journey

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Gerard, thank you got your helpful comments. It amazes me how rich one dream can be and how much you can see in a dream. You asked about how the conflict in spiritual paths has worked out with my husband. I don't really think we have a conflict as far as true spirituality, but it appears to be a big conflict. In fact, people have said to me, "He lets you get away with that?" (not going to church). And one woman even said, "You can't do that!" The biggest "crime" in my not going to church seems to be that I'm perceived as not being supportive of my husband, even of being insulting to him. I am wondering about the dream's use of the Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible rather than the Bible itself. I read that a dictionary in a dream can suggest that you rely too much on the opinions of others in the management of your life. Could the fact that the dream focuses on the interpretation and the dictionary rather than the Bible itself suggest that the conflict is more about what other people think than it's about spiritual matters? I was glad that you wrote, "Once you discover your true self, taste the true spiritual nature within you, you can never go backwards without the unconscious objecting to the false identity that you have to live with in your waking life." Since I left the church I have often felt torn at leaving something I was a part of for so long, but I always think, "I can't go back to that." And the reason was as you said-- it would be returning to a false identity. I would have to become a total fake, standing there mouthing creeds I don't believe and even being expected (by the church members) to teach them to others. So I can't go back, but this goes against everything that's expected of a minister's wife in a small town. The day before I had this dream I was at a small lunch meeting of women from our church. I had to explain to a new and very conservative woman who I was, and I imagined her thinking, "Where did she come from? How come she's never in church? This is weird!" I had that sense of, I'm doing something that is unheard of. That may have had something to do with the dream.Of course I don't know for sure, but I think the dream addresses pressures I put on myself more than a negative aspect between me and my husband. The "How could you do this?" could be coming from a part of me that still wants to please others and fit in. I don't really feel that the dream has anything to do with my son's spiritual path-- at least, that has never been an issue in waking life. In the dream, he was the one leading me on the spiritual path, if anything. I was amazed at the shoe he drew, a shoe that was based on a drawing in the dictionary, but he had turned it into something new and beautiful. I forgot one part of the dream when I wrote the first time. In the dream I reminded my husband that he told us we could have the book to draw in. Harriett

stats from 7-14-10 to the present