Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm with Joseph Campbell on a Talk Show

I'm on a talk show with Joseph Campbell. We're on an elevated stage as I remember guests being on the Merv Griffin Show in my childhood. The host is to our left and never really comes into focus. Joe Campbell is to my immediate left, and he is holding my hand. I somehow learn that he's holding my hand the way he held his late wife's hand (in the dream he has a late wife who is Asian). Something is also mentioned, as we sit on the talk show stage, about Colonel Springs, the founder of the textiles empire that recently came to an end in the town where I grew up). As we're sitting on the stage, a tall, young, blonde, very fit-looking woman goes over to a stadium-like place (like the seats in a Greek amphitheater) across the street from the stage (everything is open between the stage and the place where the woman is). She's part of the talk show. She perches in a somewhat precarious manner, high on a ledge. The building material of this stadium is marble or looks like it. Someone in the audience says they're worried she'll fall. Joe Campbell chuckles at this. And the woman, or a twin of the woman, is suddenly on the section of the stadium next to where she was before. She does a handstand and begins coming down the stadium steps on her hands. She's hopping down the steps on her hands (In waking life, I saw a young man do this for a cheering crowd in Central Park a few months ago). Joe Campbell begins talking in admiration about her amazing balance. He says it was ludicrous to suppose that she could have lost her balance and fallen off when she was sitting up there on the ledge.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: I'm with Joseph Campbell on a Talk Show

harriett,
I'll give an interpretation later today. Suddenly business has burst open {my contracting business} and I must draw up contracts this morning and get a job started.

The social dragon raises its ugly head.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Jean Erdman {at left} with Joseph Campbell

Because you are sitting with Joe Campbell we can assume the dream is addressing aspects that he is most known for, and something you are involved with, personal/spiritual growth. The elevated stage may represent the need/desire to 'elevate' yourself in this aspect. The unseen host, who is at your left {left is the path of spiritual growth- the left hand path the mythical hero takes}and never comes into focus may represent difficulty in some aspect of your spiritual path. Holding hands usually represent a connection with the individual you holding hands with. Since Campbell's wife is still living {Jean Erdman was influential in modern dance and had her own dance group} the character depicted as Campbell's dead wife must have some other connotation. There may be a link with Colonel Springs who is also dead. And you mention the textile empire he formed which recently 'came to an end'. All of these may have be referring to something about you that is/needs to come to an end. Perhaps the 'town you grew up in' and memories of Merv Griffin in your 'childhood' are clues. I'll let you ponder those associations and possibilities.

The very fit-looking woman may represent an aspect {other than fitness-unless you are into fitness} of yourself. You may need to look at the adjective blond as a metaphor and not an actual blond person {unless you are/were blond}. Blond could represent a harmonious, balanced self {or a desire for this aspect}. So too the fitness aspect. These may be things you have given thought to recently. You are 'open' to these aspects, self improvement. But your actual life may be a bit more 'precarious', living life a bit more on the 'edge'. The worry about falling, the concern about the ability to do the handstands {which unconsciously may represent an actual trust in yourself but consciously there are doubts-always listen to the unconscious}.

Joe speaks up. And we known Campbell is all about 'balance'. He taught that those who seek balance and travel the hero path {spiritual/personal growth} need not worry about finding that balance. We know your situation, a need to balance your 'different' spiritual beliefs than those of your husband. I see this dream as positive, an unconscious knowledge that you can accomplish those tasks that will bring about balance and harmony to your life. If you need to do handstands to prove yourself you will be able to do that {metaphorically speaking of course}. The desire to elevate yourself, the journey to wholeness that you are traveling, I sense this dream is positively speaking to those aspects.

gerard/Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Gerard,

Yes, your observations seem right. I also thought of a few more things that I associated with aspects of the dream.
The Blonde Woman-- I felt that she was what Jean Raffa described in DREAM THEATRES OF THE SOUL: "A positive shadow side of my psyche of which I am largely unaware, my spiritual strength. The ancient Greeks associated blonde hair with the color gold (the color of the sun and heavenly light) and depicted their gods and goddesses with blonde hair."
Talk Show: A church service is sort of like a Talk Show. I also related the "host" to the "host" in communion.
Merv Griffin: I associated him with the griffin in Greek Mythology. The logo of his company was the griffin, and it was shown at the end of every episode of his show.
I liked the blonde woman's playfulness, as if she were saying, "You want balance? I'll show you balance." And then she went down the steps on her hands.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

harriet,
Ah Yes!, Jean Raffa. One of the many 'Jungian disciples' who have inspired me in my journey to wholeness. She, Mary Ann Mattoon, Elaine Pagals, Jean Houston, Marion Woodman are the wise of wisest when it comes to the psyche. I have thought for a long time that women are more capable of understanding and expanding 'Jungian thought' and principles** {see below}. I still have my copy of DREAM THEATRES OF THE SOUL which I bought many years ago. I went through a period of time, from 1993 to 2003, in which I read feverishly anything Jung and the his 'feminine disciples' put forth. There were the 'male Jungians' {Campbell being the most articulate of these sages} such as Robert Johnson and Robert Bly who inspired but it was the feminine teachers who taught me the most. Marion Woodman's Marion Woodman 'Dreams - Language of the Soul' {audio book} is a must for anyone who is truly interested in in depth learning of dreams and the soul. They are teachers of the soul, sages who have revealed truths that inspire and inform.

One important aspect to interpreting dreams is the ability to recognize the patterns of the dream motifs and symbols. I believe it is from the 'feminine psyche' we are able to discover and understand the deeper mind, and the greatest tool that can lead us to that harmonious life we all seek.

**I celebrate Jung's great discoveries and see him as a true sage. But I do not "worship' him or his philosophies. To do that would suggest a 'mental disorder'. Jung is opposite that, 'mental order', discovered by examining the inner self.
gerard/Jerry

harriett,
I see the dream pointing to those abilities you possess that let you do those necessary handstands. Such a endeavor requires skill.Perhaps that points to what you are having to do to 'walk a fine line' in your life of conflicting opposites involving your husband and religion.

And the blond. Blonds do have more fun so perhaps this is an indication you are seeking balance to the strict confinements in which you have lived. This part of you, freedom to be who you want, is capable of being, even in the confines of opposites in which you strive to find balance. I do see it as a positive dream, addressing your true capabilities that may at times come into question.

gerard/Jerry

Gerard,

Yes, the dream feels positive. I think the blond was also dressed in white workout clothes so the place where she was in the dream (the marble ruins) was very light. And maybe the handstands point to the idea that it's okay for things to be turned upside down and that I can approach life from a different perspective. I'm especially encouraged that she was having such a good time going down the steps on her hands. I suppose it is significant that she was going down the steps rather than up. I am making a visual of the griffin as a way to honor this dream. According to what I read, the griffin was a symbol of strength and intelligence. Harriett

stats from 7-14-10 to the present