Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
using a golden key to open the door

I'm walking through the Parish House of our church. This is the building where the children's Sunday School classes and the pastor's office are (in waking life). In my dream, the Parish House looks much like it does in waking life except that it has bigger rooms. I walk in from the back, through the kitchen. I walk through a nursery full of children. I recognize a young woman in her 30's, someone I know from the church in waking life. She is the only person in this dream I recognize. She seems surprised to see me because I haven't been there on a Sunday in two years. But she doesn't speak to me or acknowledge my presence in any way. I go into another room of older children, and then into a middle room, where a class of mentally handicapped adults is meeting. Then I'm standing outside the door of my husband, the pastor's, office. The door is closed. I hesitate to go in because he might be teaching a class in there. I find the key hanging beside the door on a nail, the way it used to, only it used to hang beside the other door, not this one. But the key has changed in color from silver to gold. I listen at the door and don't hear anyone talking. I open the door and find a small class of younger adults. They look like hippies. They have a movie projector set up in the room and are doing some sort of work on a movie. Possibly they are making a movie to show. They do not seem to be getting ready to watch a movie but instead making their own movie. This dream has some similarities to my church dream from several weeks ago, only in that dream I was in the educational wing of a church I had never been in before. There was also a movie in that dream. Harriett

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: using a golden key to open the door

being in possession of the "golden key" means that your soul has found the right answers to some crucial question in your heart. if you don't seize the opportunity - you will miss out on somehting tremendously important (like i did. i had these golden key dreams repetitively - but never got yo use them, because i did not understand my dreams at the time! so i missed "golden opportunities"). additionally - you are there alone - again, replacing your husband, that is, having your own right to be there, in a palce you thought was his by right.
may be you are ready to take on an educational role? film making seems obvious, and the answer may be in the type of audience awaiting you. you are the only one there, in possession of THE GOLDEN KEY - so you need to think of what your new role in life should be. make a change, or regret lost opportunities.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 y.o., Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Harriett,

As most (not all) dreams reference the past, and you do have "hippies" in the dream, I wonder if it is worth asking, who and how were you during that era? What were the hopes and dreams? The things your own soul longed for? Dreamed of? Perhaps, before filling the expected/traditional woman's role of getting married and raising children, etc.

They are making a movie, involved in a project...

I wonder if this dream may be a prelude of more to come, that will reveal more of "you." The key may in fact represent missed opportunities, for, behind the door, you discover the hippies (of the past) of you. Yet it is a golden key, a key of promise, so I wonder if the movie project may concern a rediscovery of your soul...

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 42, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Kristi,

Some good things to think about. I was too young to be a "real" hippie, but I basically identified with the hippies and was part of the hippie group at high school during the late 60's, early 70's. It may be relevant that the hippies in my dream were making a movie because my goal in those days was to become a professional filmmaker. From the time I was in the ninth grade, I made my own Super 8 movies. I have not made movies since high school.

Harriett,

I missed that you said the rooms were bigger (than in actual life). I always see this in my dreams as an increase of inner space (so to speak), increased awarneness, space within us "opening more," so that we may see and comprehend more of ourselves/psyche.

Everything in a dream means something... Have you any ideas what the handicapped persons of you may represent? In contrast to those movie makers of you?

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kristi,

It seemed in the dream that I was going up through the ages-- from nursery, to older kids, to mentally handicapped adults. All these people were outside the door that I opened with the key. I'm not sure about the mentally handicapped adults, but they may be related to my experience that the adults in the church didn't really want to use their minds or didn't have any minds. This may sound mean, but I often fussed about people in the church being satisfied to be morons and not really wanting to ask spiritual questions or grow spiritually in any way. But on the other hand, I think that the dream is speaking about ME rather than other people, so the dream may be saying that I am staying outside the door and functioning on that level, on a mentally handicapped level, rather than growing or developing my talents. So maybe it's a good sign that I opened the door with the golden key and went in? Harriett

Yes, I caught that it went from very young to older aspects. It is like a review of sorts. My take on the handicapped aspects (but it is not my dream) was that the handicap may be related to how you left the inspiration of your own creative spirit behind, given what I now know concerning your younger aspiritations. Yes, I think it is good that you used the key and went in. You never minded what your husband may have been busy with and found there, instead, the movie makers. Did you "feel" then that it was your place, that it was okay to be there? I think it may show that you are beginning to step into your own space. The woman who is quiet, maybe she is some like the part of you who used to sit quiet.

And I sure relate to what you said about the folks who just listen to the man in the pulpit without questioning their own spirit ... like sheep asleep.

Kristi

When I opened the door and went into my husband's office and found the movie makers in there instead of my husband conducting a Sunday School class, I did feel that it was okay to be in there. I wouldn't say I felt that it had become "my space," but that I was welcome there and that it was a place I wanted to be. I didn't feel welcome in any of the other spaces I had passed through in the Parish House. And that certainly fits with my waking life experience. I strongly associate the woman who remained silent with her waking-life counterpart. I felt that she treated me as if I didn't exist or she wished I didn't. Even as I write this now, I am feeling how wrong each of those rooms I passed through in the dream was for me. They were full of confusion and crowds of people (yet no one really seemed to be doing anything- it was just pandemonium), and then, when I opened the door and found that small, quiet group of hippies working on the movie, I felt that I was in the right place. And I was surprised because I had no idea this was what was going on on the other side of that locked door. I had been afraid to unlock the door for fear that I would be intruding on something my husband was doing. It was his office and the door was locked. Harriett

This type of dialog is what I hope to see more of at the Forum. Helping each other explore the inner world. Often there is shared experiences that benefit others and sharing those insights can be of great value. It is helpful to interpret a dream but the understanding may not be so clear. 'Hashing' it out through communication with others often helps with that understanding. Shared experiences and insights provides clarity because there is a human element to the experience with the dream. Although the experiences of others may be outward experiences, they often give light to the inner world that the dream is focusing. And of course that is the intent of every dream, to provide insights to the inner world of emotions.

gerard/Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

I think it is really important to note that you did feel “welcome” there, that it was the place you wanted to be, that you felt you were in the right place, as compared to the other locations that comprise this dream picture. I imagine a pastor’s wife may see a man who has this whole other life (family), so to speak…a house (church) filled with parishioners and his responsibilities to them. Perhaps the dream is saying this, overall, is not “your” space. I find it very significant that you find the movie makers (your own young passion) in the place where your husband’s creative spirit sits to do his work – reminding of your own creative spirit, which is not your husband’s. It is like you dare to challenge the role/position of your husband (and perhaps the influence he has been in your life) and in doing so begin to connect with your own creative spirit. Like, remembering, I am not just “a pastor’s wife.” A Golden Key! And opportunity to be true to yourself!

A title of a book by Virginia Wolf kept coming to me, “A Room of One’s Own.” She was a poet/writer and I believe the book was written in the first quarter of this century (I’ve not read it myself, but it was once recommended and I understand it to be a good one), but it is much about women finding their own place, allowing their own creative spirit to express.

Kristi

And this particular room that I used the key to enter is more than just a typical "office." I think it's true about "The Room of One's Own," but one unusual aspect of the pastor's office (usually called the Pastor's Study) is that it's also a place where other people come to study or come for help. So it's a shared space in that way, but the pastor has the key to this space and IS the key to it. But in the dream, other people had taken over the space or at least were using it. So maybe the dream is saying, "Why not?" It seemed perfectly natural for the hippies to be in there making their movie. In this dream I have used a key to open a door I was scared to open. Now, last night, I had a dream in which I opened an unlocked door that I knew I had no business opening! And this time, the house I go into is an even bigger house. I guess I should post this new dream since the two may be related. Harriett

it sounds like you ARE unlocking doors into your own self! Great.

Kristi

stats from 7-14-10 to the present