Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arc of the Covenant

I feel this is a similar themed dream to the Holy Grail in a box dream I had the other night:

I dreamt I was Kyle XY (a character on a tv show on Fox - let me know if you need more info on character / show). I got into a Sysyx laboratory where a secret box was hidden. I located the box, which was the Arc of the Covenant. If I took the box an alarm would sound, I was not supposed to keep it, similar to the Grail scene in Indy & the Last Crusade. The box was only small, big enough to fit in your hand. I opened it expecting to find the stone tablets of the ten commandments but all there was were wood cuttings of different letters / symbols. I took the box and ran.

I found myself outside near a river. There was an amphibious helicopter taking off and landing into the river. I jumped into the river as the helicopter was landing, and the helicopter crashed. I was scrambling to try to get out of the river, I was afraid of the rotor blades, but in the end the helicopter crashed a fair way away from where I was. Once I was out of the water looking down on the wreckage I was told that this was meant to happen.

From the Arc of the Covenant, by saying the right letter / word, I was able to jump higher, or run faster, depending upon what I 'willed'. I used this to run up to, and leap onto an old simple wooden ship. Below decks I joined a circle of men and women who were being explained the 'rules' of the ship. Each person had to pair up with someone for each cabin. Asides from that there were no rules.

In the circle I held hands with the two ladies either side of me. The lady on my left was insistent on being paired up with me, and slowly 'drifted' across in front of my view, though her face was facing the centre of the circle of people so all I could see was her ear, cheek and hair. The lady on my right was more interested in the man on her right, and was suprised when I held her hand.

Need help with this one, thanks. Sorry if it is complicated...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 27 - Perth, Western Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Arc of the Covenant

Rook,
I'll provide my thoughts later today.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Rook,

some thoughts to kick things off - not sure where you want to head with this

I had a look at the Kyle XY site - the Final Episode , , , 'they're playing God' - have you seen the adverts ?

, , , 'you are playing Kyle XY ::: what kind of character is he ? what role are you playing ?

, , , do you have a religious background that is Christian ? (that would found this dream in your psyche)(telling us that you know what the AofC is about)

, , , certainly a mythological dream theme

, , , always useful to review the symbols - there are a lot - AofC for a start, treasure, hidden meaning, the heroes adventure,
- and lets not forget the crash that was meant to happen , , ,
- the circle
- the two ladies either side of you , , , this is the situation of the man , , reflected in the myth of Parcival in the Fisher King -

A full meal in this dream - what are your associations ?

Justin

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 50 Hong Kong

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Hi Justin

Thanks for your guidance! I certainly appreciate it.

I have not seen the final episode of Kyle XY yet, not the ads (so please no spoilers :p). What I have seen is the 1st and majority of 2nd season, we are behind the times in tv land here Down Under.

The associations I make with the character of Kyle XY relate to his search I suppose. He has no parents, and no knowledge of the world around him. He learns quickly, but he has an insatiable inner desire to know who he is and where he comes from, but the answers don't come easy. This relates I guess to my own spiritual search.

I have a desire to search for 'truth'. I feel I am lucky in the sense that my parents did not teach me to believe in something, they gave me freedom to find my own path. I used to think I was agnostic, until I found out that you could take away the 'a'. This is what makes sense most to me (belief through experience). Thats not to say that I follow the gnostic texts (though I have perused them) but more that I don't follow a particular text / pattern, but follow what I feel is truth in my heart.

This in part establishes the meaning of the AoC to me. I have seen documentaries on it, my knowledge of it is basically it was a 'super weapon' of the ancients, primarily used to hold the ten commandments of Moses. It could consume people with fire. I guess as a symbol it would represent to me as the container holding the word of God. I also associate it with Indiana Jones. I know of its imagery as being the box with the two poles either side, carried in front and behind. This could be significant as in the dream it looked nothing like this being a hand-sized black chest.

My view of Christianity and other religion in general (thanks largely to dream work) has changed significantly, shifting from issues of history (which I now see as irrelevant) to symbolic meaning. My view on the holy grail, or the Arc, or Jesus is that these lost artifacts (excluding Jesus...) are aspects hidden in the self, that are to be discovered. My struggle, and the struggle of Kyle is how to go about finding these things I suppose.

The crash that was meant to happen... I think this could be referencing two periods in my life. The first would be the lowest point in my life in which I became depressed, felt my life had no direction, and felt that I was not a very worthwhile person. During this time of struggle I discovered that despite the support I gave my partner, I recieved none. It was this that instigated my need to break apart from her. Following this I took another couple of steps to reach my rock bottom (which isn't as bad as many people's I know) and realised that this was not me, and that I could be much more than that, all I had to do was become it. It was then that I sort of realised I was 'awesome'. Lots of people thought I had suddenly become incredibly arrogant, but these few people did not ask much about it, they did not realise that behind my philosophy that I was awesome, was the bigger 'truth' that everyone is awesome, but the individual has to realise it, they can't be told it either, they have to realise it for themselves. I guess this in essence was a crash that was necessary on my path of self discovery.

But there is another crash that I feel is happening now, and I guess is more relevant, and could actually be related to the Jungian death of the ego. That is basically in my role as father of my young family. In the duties that I take on among my family in terms of being the sole source of income, as well as giving my partner a break from the kids in the evening and from the washing up, I have little time for myself. I do feel at times that everything I once was has died. My circle of friends has diminished to next to nothing, I don't have the energy to continue my writing. I do it occasionally but progress is particularly slow. I have always been an athlete, but I struggle to find the time to train, let alone take part in any sport. These used to be the things that defined who I was, but they are being stripped away, which is not an easy thing to undertake and can be frustrating at times. But as the dream states, I can't shake the feeling that it is meant to happen.

The circle is an interesting symbol. I have been dreaming 'mandala' symbols increasingly lately, I am consciously trying to find a stronger balance, and from my dreams feel that I have let more feminine independent strength come into play (ie the break from the mother, taking on responsibility, getting more in touch with emotion). I don't fully understand this concept as yet though. I have looked at the occult initiation process of the Golden Dawn and understand the symbolism of the process of the 'outer order' balancing the four elements before piercing 'the veil', but I am not entirely sure how to tell how to go about balancing these things consciously, and feel that the four elements can represent oh so many different things. My strongest associations are sensation, intuition, intelligence and emotion, as well as male, female, good and evil.

As for the two ladies holding my hands, I was a bit bamboozled by that one. But I have read Chretian de Troyes tale of Percival, and the Fisher King. In fact it is sitting on my bedside table, though I have not touched it for months. I have always been attracted to the King Arthur myths, though I have never really read very deeply into them until I bought that book. That said a lot of the tale went straight over my head, it seems very rich symbolically, and the significance of the symbols has not set in for me. Perhaps I shall have a read over it tonight and see how it stands up now that I am looking at something more specifically.

I would be very interested to see how this all is weighed up. I feel it was an important dream.

Thanks,
Rook

Hi Rook,

this is a great response. Your writing talent shows and you have a mind that is interested in images. (More on this later maybe).

I don't know how you do it; your load is full and finding time for the inner realms must be very difficult.

I note that your age is 27 yrs - these years, and it varies for each of us, around 28 give or take a few years, are potentially years of transition. It is the second time around for Saturn in our astrological charts. Saturn is about establishing our own inner authority (link to your writing , , , your authorship) and accepting the responsibility for our own lives. . It seems like you are , , , so ok, good for you.

Saturn's parameters are also somewhat askew - it says that breakdown precedes breakthrough; and this links to the helicopter crash.
Of course the symbols in the dreams can be interpreted endlessly - the helicopter : spins around on itself , , , a great model for the ego driven personality wouldn't you say ? And it crashes - but beware the one who thinks he / she is free of ego , , , that is another illusion of the ego.

The river - as a symbol of boundary and the flowing of life : the ego crashed into the river didn't it?

Your reference to the break from mother is interesting - and as I looked back over the Forum I saw the dream about pet sharks , , , and wondered about your relationship with your mother.

It sounds like Kyle Xy is a lost soul - no parents, trying to find himself, , , trying to understand the world around him.
If our parents gave us no beliefs where does that leave us , , , we are lost, admittedly we still have to challenge the authenticity of the map they used and gave us - but at least they gave is some co-ordinates with which to find our way in this world. The real issue is what did they believe, and why? If they are still alive, and you are in relation with them these are great questions to have answers to before they die (from personal experience).

There is so much in this

wishing you well
JC

Hi JC

Thanks for the response! I will try to fill in as much as I can.

In my own research into this dream, I figured the laboratory is perhaps a place of experimentation and discovery. The link to HyperDictionary from this site suggested it is a symbol of transition, which struck a cord with what you spoke of as this stage of my life being a time of transition.

As for my relationship with my mother, I think I touched on this a bit in the discussion regarding childhood experiences. My upbringing was quite good, my family rarely fell into conflict, just me and my brother, but I think as a result of this I don't handle conflict very well as it is something a bit foreign to me. I cave in quite easily which can make me a bit of a 'push-over'. I was also quite controlled in my actions, I had to be involved in something, and it was assumed whatever my brother was interested in, I would be too which was not the case as we have a lot of different character traits. I was easily pushed into following 'career paths' that did not really suit me. Of course I eventually forced myself to take matters into my own hands. To my semi-shock my parents were overjoyed by my decisions, and my life path went back on track I suppose. The 'ironfist' I guess is how I saw it, was an illusion. I still have issues as my mother is over-protective. I used to play ice hockey, but now that I am out on my own I can't afford the hefty price of ice time (we don't live in a cold climate so it is expensive to run an ice arena, hence is an expensive sport). My mother insists on paying for my it, and helping pay for basically everything, but I feel it is a burden I wish to carry. As in I wish to make my own life. Speaking of making my own life, there is the first ever conflicting situations coming up these days between myself and my mother. My partner feels my mother does not approve of her, and that she gets along better with my brothers partner. I think this is an illusion as well, and I have noticed an almost necessary conflict between all women and their mother-in-laws, so I don't feel it is necessary to convince her otherwise. I do insist that my mother does like her, but I don't go out of my way to do so. But the biggest conflict is with my mother and her obsession with my son. She does not believe in discipline at all whatsoever and frowns upon us when discipline my son (ie put him in time out). She simply tries to avoid him getting angry by giving him anything and everything he wants, which is bad in my eyes. She is also obsessive with him, and will pretend she doesn't hear us if we want to change him, and even wander off with him and not let us know. Can be very frustrating, and a side of my mother that I have never seen before, but I think my dad kind of pulls her into line a bit. I have noticed it is a cyclical thing, she will be alright, then bad, then terrible, then go back to being okay again. That is pretty much all the issues with my mother that I am aware of.

I wouldn't say that my parents did not give me beliefs, they made sure I understood the significance of Christmas, and Easter, but we did not go to church. My father is probably the biggest influence in terms of belief. When I was in my early teens I thought he was an atheist, but I remember him giving me a speech about how intricate the human eye is, and how amazing and virtually impossible it would be for such an instrument to evolve by chance, without some 'divine' guidance.

I was discussing beliefs with him the other day in the car, more particularly about people trying to push their beliefs on others, and how it is such a personal thing, you can't really tell someone else what to believe, what is the ultimate truth. Also my dad is a scientist / chemist, and has I think a scientific approach to life. I guess he is either agnostic or gnostic too, but perhaps it is something I should ask him about. My mother on the other hand, I am not entirely sure at all where her beliefs lie. I think deep down she is a Christian, but I am not sure if her not going to Church is the influence of my father or not. On my fathers side his family were strongly religious, my grandfather helped found a Lutheran church in this city, and my grandmother who I never met claimed she would be waiting for my father in heaven. I feel she was very religious. On my mothers side my grandparents were I guess non-practising Christians. They did not go to church, at least not regularly.

But all in all I understood the basics of Christianity, but was granted the freedom to find out what I believed for myself. I know a lot of my friends were forced to go to chuch every sunday, and as a result they sort of believe it, but are overwhelmed by it all, and aren't interested in religion at all anymore. Thats my perception anyway.

As for finding the time for inner work, I get that because at work I spend a lot of time processing data, which can take up some time. While the computer is processing I browse the net. Its a wonderful tool. I also have a 10min walk, 10min train ride and 40min car ride to and from work for reflection. Speaking of which I must make that journey now.

Thanks
Rook

Hi Rook,

whoa - that is some reply and it is clear that while the computers are processing, so are you , , ,

Some thoughts:
- I mentioned Christianity because it is useful to 'see the waters we swim in'; and that takes some doing. none of this is about attributing blame. The value of understanding the past is to enable us to put the present into context.

* 'caving in' :: this reminded me of the helicopter, that to assend must rotate about its own axis. As in all dream symbology there is a double edge to this, the ego also spins around its own axis. yet to ascend we must be true to ourselves as you have put into practice.

* upbringing - mother : over-protective is one way to put it.
This is territory that I have been through - only it has taken me decades to decipher and track the influences to my current life. My mother was intrusive. On the surface allowing me to make my own decisions, with the superficial guise of me learning my own mind. However I was never allowed to stray into my own territory - to realy make my own decisions and to learn through falling. "Mother / Father knew best" so to speak. And a recurrent dream of my childhood was of sharks. i now have this in context, and it has taken years of work. My mother died last year so there is no recourse or open review possible.

* Along these lines - the Oedipal myth. And in Freudian terms the Oedipus complex. I believe this is endemic in modern culture. One liner - it is due to guilt about sexuality stemming from our imprinted views of sex, in particular those of the mother. A lot in this also involving father.

that's it
more processing
JC

Thanks JC

I too, often dream of sharks. I assumed that it was a symbol of fear since it is such a big fear of mine.

Your description of your mothers intrusive nature rings true in my regard too. I guess its like freedom to move within a confined area. I wonder if that has anything to do with the net in the shark dream.

Also of interest, the man who is not afraid of the shark has no mother figure in his life, nor a partner. Being the ex of my partner, he also has been presented with the image of being very dominant, and is strongly of the idea that the woman serves the man (perhaps free of the 'mother-influence'). Thus (I take it then the shark is the mother-influence) it makes sense that he would not fear the shark, being 'free' of its effects. In my eyes the way this man treats women is not exactly ideal, so I view him in a negative light in regards to his view of women, but on the other side he has a strength to 'stand-up' that is definately present, in sharp contrast to my 'push-over' nature.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. It must be a difficult stage of life. I know my mother felt odd after both her parents had passed on, in a sense that now the responsibility was on her, she had no 'higher authority' to call on when facing problems, so to speak.

Were she here still, how would you go about reviewing this aspect of your life? I imagine that if I went to my mother with such issues she would likely be offended? But then I have frequently been surprised when going to my parents with issues. I suppose it comes down a lot to how you phrase these things. Like you say it is not about blame, but about understanding.

Looking at the Oedipus complex, I don't think I understand it fully. I certainly don't feel the sexual urge towards my mother, nor the desire to off my father, but then it is supposedly unconscious. It is also probably more technical than that and I think your 'one-liner' helps a lot in shedding light on the issue of guilt regarding sexuality.

I can relate to this, as my family is very conservative in this manner. It is not exactly an open forum for discussing sexuality. My mother was very concerned growing up that I would view women as objects, and I guess I had the sense that sexuality was simply not discussed, and physical desire was wrong. Hence guilt weighed fairly heavy in regards to my natural urges.

Now, perhaps returning to the dream, I suppose what you are getting at in asking about Christianity is how much do I know about the AoC, thus what does it represent to me? I was thinking about this symbol, and put in context with my other recent post titled "Holy Grail in a Box" was, I feel a similar dream, at least in context to the first stage of the dream. That being a vessel of high spiritual value in a box. The focus seems to be on that which is in the box. Could this apply to the force of Star Wars mythology, or the energy that feeds the light bulb in the following extract of Jerry's post on A Bus, a Battle and a Bustier?

"And speaking of the creative/spiritual identity as opposed to the ego-centered body. Campbell used a great analogy in comparing the two different aspects. It was the light bulb and the source that provides the energy that produces the light. Do you identify with the bulb {body} or the unseen energy that produces the light {spirit}? The body can not do without the energy but can the enrgy do without the body? That is the unknown mystery. But identifying with the energy, or spirit, can help one realize what the inner processes is about. The mystery of the self, each individual different but from the same unknown source. Living a life from the sense of the body, giving in to its demands and whelms. Or living a more discipline life identifying with the spirit, seeing the body as the temple and treating it as such. You don't need to be religious {in fact religion can be a determent} to realize which aspect is more important."

Just a thought, and I have a train to catch, must run.

Farewell,
Rook

stats from 7-14-10 to the present