Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Monomyth-The Hero's Journey

For those who are not familiar with Joseph Campbell's hero journey here is a link to Wikipdia which will provide valuable insights to that inward journey.

Monomyth

Here is an excerpt from that page:

The term Monomyth (often referred to as the hero's journey) as used within the field of comparative mythology refers to a basic pattern supposedly found in many narratives from around the world. This widely-distributed pattern was described by Joseph Campbell in his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949). An enthusiast of novelist James Joyce, Campbell borrowed the term monomyth from Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

Campbell held that numerous myths from disparate times and regions seem to share a fundamental structure and stages, which he summarized in the introduction to The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

"A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man."

In a monomyth, the hero begins in the ordinary world, and receives a call to enter an unknown world of strange powers and events. The hero who accepts the call to enter this strange world must face tasks and trials, either alone or with assistance. In the most intense versions of the narrative, the hero must survive a severe challenge, often with help. If the hero survives, the hero may achieve a great gift or "boon." The hero must then decide whether to return to the ordinary world with this boon. If the hero does decide to return, he or she often faces challenges on the return journey. If the hero returns successfully, the boon or gift may be used to improve the world. The stories of Osiris, Prometheus, Moses, Buddha, and Christ, for example, follow this structure very closely.

Campbell describes some seventeen stages or steps along this journey. Very few myths contain all seventeen stages — some myths contain many of the stages, while others contain only a few; some myths may have as a focus only one of the stages, while other myths may deal with the stages in a somewhat different order. These seventeen stages may be organized in a number of ways, including division into three sections: Departure (sometimes called Separation), Initiation, and Return. "Departure" deals with the hero's adventure prior to the quest; "Initiation" deals with the hero's many adventures along the way; and "Return" deals with the hero's return home with knowledge and powers acquired on the journey.

Contents

1 Summary

2 The Seventeen Stages of the Monomyth

2.1 Departure

2.1.1 The Call to Adventure

2.1.2 Refusal of the Call

2.1.3 Supernatural Aid

2.1.4 The Crossing of the First Threshold

2.1.5 Belly of The Whale

2.2 Initiation

2.2.1 The Road of Trials

2.2.2 The Meeting With the Goddess

2.2.3 Woman as Temptress

2.2.4 Atonement with the Father

2.2.5 Apotheosis

2.2.6 The Ultimate Boon

2.3 Return

2.3.1 Refusal of the Return

2.3.2 The Magic Flight

2.3.3 Rescue from Without

2.3.4 The Crossing of the Return Threshold

2.3.5 Master of Two Worlds

2.3.6 Freedom to Live

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Monomyth-The Hero's Journey

I just ordered this one as well. I've been living this journey, so it is high time I read the whole book by Joe Campbell. Now, enough shopping for the day!

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Monomyth-The Hero's Journey

Kristi,
The Hero With A thousands Faces was Campbell's first 'best' seller. It was written in the mid 40s but did not become a best seller until the 80s {I believe that time frame is correct}. The book was popular prior to The Power of Myth, which caught my attention that one faithful Sunday and changed my life and direction. New generations discover Campbell because they possess a natural attachement to what he says develops. Similar to Star Wars trilogy where young kids root for Luke and against the Dark Darth Vader. Of course Campbell's influence on George Lucas may had something to do with that. This book is a bit deeper but you will not have any problems. Only pure enjoyment at the enlightenment you will find in Campbell's message.

Now, off to the gym.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present