Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beautiful Woman and Fighting on a River

I don't often post a dream because I have so few 'big dreams' and the dreams I do have I feel I understand. Although this dream at first had me stumped I quickly realized what was in conflict. I won't go into detail about the dream but want to point out a particular aspect of dreams that may not be realized.
Here is a generalized version of the dream.

This dream was a long dream and even continued after I awoke during the night to take a whizz. I admit I wanted the dream to continue as I returned to my bed and fortunately it did {often the dreams changes}. Overall it was a pleasant dream despite the conflicts {the confrontation with the 'enemy' was at the end of the dream and short lived}.

My dream involved a lovely woman who seem to take to me and indicated through her actions she was 'interested' in me {remember, I am 59 and such adventures were a constant part of my early adulthood}. We were sharing an apartment, first it being an unknown apartment then I realized it was my own. She needed a place to stay and I offered to 'share' my place. There was confusion as to whether she would take me up on my offer {the dream was unclear of her intent}. But as the dream continued she was indeed staying with me and sharing my bed {no sexual activity involved-IMPORTANT}.

But then entered another man who was familiar but not named. She also showed an interest in him. I was concerned. The dream dwelled on scenes with the three of us {nothing important to mention about that}. We were merely together in discussions about nothing important. Then the other guy was gone and she {my dream woman} had to go to work. My impression was as she left that she would be back.

After she had left I needed to leave also. But as I left I found myself 'drifting' in a boat in a narrow canal {narrow body of water}. There were 'enemy' soldiers on either side of the canal trying to stop me. I was not armed with a weapon. It was a brief ride through the maze of enemy troops and I ended up at another place I owned with a guy who was a friend {unnamed person}. I was expecting in anticipation the arrival of this lovely woman when all of a sudden I was awoken by one of my cats crying to be fed {4:30 is the norm for their morning breakfast and it was just past 4:30 when I awoke}. End of dream {DUH!}.

OK. If I were in my waking life actively engaged in a relationship, or outwardly seeking one, I could see where this dream would fit. But that is not the case {I have been single for 16 years and stopped 'looking' for a relationship many years ago}. The woman in the dream although unknown by name had the generalized features of a woman I would be attracted to. Her actions in the dream, and my reactions, were what confused me as much as anything. Where in my waking life did this woman fit? What conflicts in my life, not a full blown war but a brief engagement in conflict, fit this dream?

I will end by providing tidbits to my conclusion and let others provide their thoughts. I will provide these recent waking life experiences to supplement possible conclusions.

The Social Dragon
As many of you know I am a contractor who for the past several years had been working part-time giving me time to work with both my day job and my blissful interests in dreams and web design {Myths-Dreams-Symbols in particular}. My son had taken over most of the business but last December moved to Orlando leaving me with the full time responsibilities once again {we had agreed that would continue for a period of time}. I found myself once again engaged full time in the social activities of work. And the many pressures of succeeding {I am a very thorough person when engaged in an activity, putting great efforts in obtaining that success}. There have been times over the past 7 months I felt I was losing my intuitive edge, a blockage of thought when working with dreams. But I have been able thus far to ward off the social dragons attempt to usurp that intuitive, creative Self. It is very much a hindrance {yesterday seemed to be one of those days while looking at the dreams of May and Cecilia}. And although there are those times I feel the fiery breath of the dragon I soon recover to my old, new self, the Self of my bliss.

So, what are the common denominators between my dream and my waking life experiences {as offered above?}. Who is this beautiful woman in the dream and where does she match my waking life? And the brief conflict on the narrow canal, where does that fit? I feel this dream is a good indicator of certain aspects of the psyche but with a twist. How does this all fit, my dream world, and my waking life?

I look forward to all comments.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Beautiful Woman and Fighting on a River

Hi Jerry,

Who is this beautiful woman in the dream and where does she match my waking life? And the brief conflict on the narrow canal, where does that fit? I feel this dream is a good indicator of certain aspects of the psyche but with a twist. How does this all fit, my dream world, and my waking life?

Your anima/creative self.

The a-part(ment) was 'a part' of you that had a bit of a conflict (fighting on the river of life) in having to divide your creative energies (beautiful woman/anima) between your love for dream analysis/MDS/web design (the you you had grown comfortable with) and the need to invest in full time business-man (the man/you did not know)/social dragon ventures once again. Your anima knew him and was equally interested in him. She (your anima) helped you to make the transition (narrow canal).

I feel love when I contemplate the dream, the love of your anima. I imagine I can see why you did not want it to end.

What is the "twist?"

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Kristi,
Couldn't fool you even with the strangest of dreams, huh Kristi? Yes, this woman is my creative Self and the twist is the dream uses an aspect of the psyche that is illustrated in the form of a woman. The enemy is that social dragon of having to spend so much energy with my work and having to neglect that greatest inner desire of working with dreams and building on the pages at Myths-Dreams-Symbols. Of course I consciously chose this path {giving my son with his family time to establish himself in his new environment in Orlando} and look forward to returning at least to a part time role in those endeavors. I am within 3 years of early retirement and that gives hope to my greatest desire of working full time with dreams and MDS.

I wanted to post this dream to illustrate that there need not be an actual person involved in the waking life {as suggested in a dream} but that a dream figure can be an aspect other than a close relationship {beautiful woman}. The other man is of course another aspect of myself. In the course of having to work full time I do so with the intent of giving my best, not only to insure a successful business but also to insure I provide a quality product in every job. That is what makes this masculine aspect attractive to my feminine Self. It becomes a spiritual endeavor, doing what is right in difficult circumstances ordered by social duty. It is itself a test of my spiritual being.

Note: Although economic times are tough, and I can see it in the decline in business overall, thus far we have survived. And that survival can be seen as a direct result of that 'spiritual' aspect. More than 75% of my business this year has been from referrals, word of mouth, quality of workmanship. If we hadn't done the right thing in the past there is no doubt in my mind we would not be in this positive condition. The past two months have been our busiest of the year.
Gives true meaning to 'what goes around come around'.

But back to the dream. I sensed in the dream, after she {the beautiful woman} had left that she would return. This is true in this very moment. I am participating in my great love, working with this most beautiful woman, working with dreams. Earlier I revised my page at MDS The Mid-Life Crisis And Dreams. So, although I at times must put her at arms length, and sometimes wonder if I may continue that negative pattern of leaving things undone {as in my past 3 marriages}, I always return to that true love of my life.

The question then becomes, why did I have this dream at this moment in time? I believe it to be due to the great stress of having to deal with so much responsibility in the social world of work. And the fact that I do have this wonderful creative Self to bring me back to that blissful state of being. The dream is reflecting what is true in my waking life,a s well as reinforcing what is true in my unconscious world. For a long time I have used the term 'social dragon' as the enemy. In my dream that is reflected in the brief ride through narrow channel with the enemy troops. And it is a brief ride since I do intend with all my heart to involve my life full time with the creative Self - a narrow strip of time needed to involve myself with the social dragon. The unnamed guy, a friend, is what I see as passing the test of having to endure the dragon in spiritual manner. That male friend, a masculine aspect of taking charge, is that positive approach to the social world and the bounties I receive from being that spiritual Self.

Of course there are other details to the dream that I could explain. But I believe I have presented the main focal points and the overall jest of the dream.

And it does not escape my thoughts that I was awakened by my cats wanting to be fed. Cats, feminine. Working with dreams. Go figure.

And Kristi. You get an A+ for your insights. Although you and I can readily see the associations between my waking life and my dream world {as all dreams are}, those who are not well versed in Jungian psyche would most likely been 'mystified' at what the dream was about.
Such is the misunderstood world of dreams.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Couldn't fool you even with the strangest of dreams, huh Kristi?

I am getting better! Again, as I alluded to in my other post, I've much gratitude for my own analysis/analyst. I recall a dream wherein she and I are sitting before her wall long bookshelf (not how we normally sit), with me facing the bookshelf. She takes her glasses off and gives them to me. I put them on, trying them on, getting used to them... The wonder of alchemy in positive relationships!

twist is the dream uses an aspect of the psyche that is illustrated in the form of a woman

I didn't see it as a "twist," as it so understandable as to be natural to me.

Thanks for sharing this, Jerry. It's educational! And a fine example of a well balanced masculine/feminine.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present