Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Rainbow Serpent

I am at my parents house, it is night time. There is a snake waiting at the door. It seems dull in colour. But I know that I can only let it in when I see its true colours.

I gaze at it through the window, though it is dark outside. Suddenly it becomes intensely coloured, such vivid colours are rare in my dreams, making them stand out strongly especially in the dull environment. There is a deep blue along its back with patterns of many colours along its sides and belly.

Now that I can see the beauty of its colours I open the door and it enters, we become bonded together. We are able to speak to one another. I have the sense of it becoming incorporated into my body, its head atop my head, its tail running down my back.

It becomes day time. I am circling around an island in the river of my home city. It is a natural haven in the centre of the city full of parks, lakes / swamps, and kangaroos (which are otherwise only seen on the outskirts of the city).

The island is dominated by a massive aircraft carrier that is parked impossibly in the lakes in the centre of the island. It is some kind of show of security, and unity. It seems some sort of United Nations force, as there are many jets circling, all from different nations.

As I walk along I come across a man walking a huge golden labrador / retriever. The dog is not on a leash and I feel that I should be afraid of the dog, but I am not because I have the bonded snake to protect me. I come to the dog and it is friendly. I continue on my way.

As I am walking under the bow of the aircraft carrier a SAAB Viigen (Swedish / Scandinavia) that is flying around crashes into the river. I run out from under the ship to have a look but there is nothing I can do about it.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 27 - Perth, Western Australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: The Rainbow Serpent

My impressions from this dream:

At first I considered the snake a symbol of sexuality, and seeing the colours of the snake as seeing the beauty of sexuality and sensuality.

I did not fully comprehend the symbol of the aircraft carrier or the planes, but thought that it shed light on a fear of friendship (of the dog) that is no longer a fear due to the change in view of sexuality / sensuality.

This does relate to my life as I am often afraid of developing friendships with women due to my loyalty to my partner and awareness that she can be jealous / threatened by women as she views me as an object of desire, particularly in that I am a 'taken' man which she informed me is more of an encouragement to some women than if I were single.

Previously I was unaware the impact I had on women, and how many actually liked me until about the time I started dating my partner. I used to be oblivious to this, and would unknowingly flirt with women, thinking I was just being nice. This continued in my relationship, and my partner pointed out that I am so oblivious to women's reactions to me and I don't pick up on their subtle hints.

My preception previous to this understanding was the opposite to reality. I always wondered why women didn't like me! I thought I was unattractive and boring. I recall in my early high school years talking to a good friend and telling him how I looked forward till after high school when women were more interested in brains than looks, because I would have it made. I always wondered why he looked at me so strangely.

Anyhow the point is now that I am aware of how my being nice is interpreted as flirting, I am trying to alter my behaivour so as not to give out the wrong hints... It isn't easy.

I would also say that I have matured a lot of late in regards to the sexual aspects of my life. Still a long way to go but I feel myself growing in this manner.

But after pondering this dream I recalled form my primary school education learning a local myth about a rainbow serpent. I googled this and came to this site:

http://www.astronomy.pomona.edu/archeo/australia/jennifer.sumner.aborigines/myth1.htm

Its a spiritual creative archetype.

I also associated it to the kundalini & colour association with the chakras, especially in regards to its placement when we bonded. I have read of kundalini and chakras but wouldn't say I understood it properly.

It then dawned on me that the dream follows a similar theme to my other spiritual dreams regarding the Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant, Nazi Secrets dreams. The 'discovery' of the spiritual symbol, followed by the location of the river, a ship, and an aircraft crashing into the river that is meant to happen.

This time there is a link between the ship and the aircraft, the ship is the source of the aircraft. Also the dream selected specifically a SAAB Viigen as a symbol of the Scandanavia. I have a strong Finnish Heritage on the masculine side of my family. My brother and father both have duel citizenship, and my grandfather was a strong willed Finnish patriot I guess. I never knew my grandmother on my fathers side, who died when my father was a teenager, so could this perhaps be alluding to something masculine?

Perhaps the masculine and feminine working together? Especially in the symbol of the 'United Nations' as well as the ship as a feminine symbol, and if I take the aircraft association as masculine, these two differing aspects / environments working together?

In my Ark of the Covenant dream the women and men join hands in a circle. A union of sorts, the women and men joining together in balance / harmony?

In the dream I am walking around the outside of the island, with a lake in the middle. I have had similar dreams of a deep lake in the centre of an island lately, with me travelling around the outside.

I will continue to reflect on this, and will welcome any other input.

Thanks,
Rook

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Rook,

In the beginning of the dream, when you are in your parents' home... Do you, in the dream, have a "feeling" reference as to what age/mind set you are? Can you connect with that psychic space (from in the dream) on a feeling level and make a correlation to the years spent growing in your parents' home?

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Rook,
In our discussions we had talked about the underlying causations of our personality, our thinking, who we are as adults. I believe dreams address these causations in an attempt to highlite those early life experiences which tend to have a great influence on who we become as adults. We all evolve to who we are and those out of balance aspects are showcased in our dreams {balancing the emotional life being but one function, if not the most important, of dreams}.

I mention the above because I sense the possibility that this dream may be pointing to early life experiences. Snakes are very often symbolic of new beginnings, or in your case possible new realizations {snakes shed their skin and grow new}. Since this snake is at the door of your parents house, it may be pointing to deeper unconscious {"its night time"} aspects having to do with a period of time earlier in life. You may have forgotten, repressed or merely put away these past experiences for one reason or another {dull in color}. But the dream hasn't forgotten, it knows all that has happened in your life and only the true self will survive time {"I know that I can only let it in when I see its true colours"}.

Windows in dreams are often windows to the deeper self. This snake seems to be pointing to vibrant aspects, probably with the need or desire to recognize something about yourself. Snakes crawl on their bellies thus hiding them from view.

From the HyperDictionary: Dreaming of your belly indicates that your are processing and integrating your ideas and feelings from the unconscious to the conscious level. The belly symbolically holds repressed emotions and unexpressed feelings.

Consciously you may be realizing these hidden aspects> They could represent 'vibrant traits' of persona, perhaps aspects of self that have been neglected {I often think of me early childhood and teenage years as being stunted because of the 'non-relationship' with my father}. These unconscious aspects are now ready for conscious realization, bringing them back into existence in your present adult life {becoming incorporated into my body}.

The home city, that would be your center. All that you are revolves around that center, even those aspects that are unconscious. What has been on the 'outskirts' of conscious knowing is now ready to be fully realized {day time}.
An island in a river may suggest a particular complex you possess. And it may be a pivotal aspect of the whole dream.

An aircraft carrier could represent a 'defensive mechanism' that dominates your 'center'. It has {had} an affect your whole being.

Again, From the HyperDictionary: Seeing a dog in your dream, indicate a skill that you have ignored or forgotten, but needs to be activated.

This dog may represent some vital aspect {it would be vital because the dream has stored it in your unconscious memory} of your personality. What once seemed to be threatening has become accepted due to realizing it as being a true part of who you are. You are retrieving this 'golden/important' aspect from the depths of your unconscious.

The crash may be alluding to these unconscious aspects that have never been consciously utilized. The structure of dreams are not set in stone and thus what is favorable {see 'How Dreams Are Structured' in my page A Simple Guide to Dreams} and now being realized could all come crashing down if not consciously accepted as a part of who you are. It may be a warning to realize and incorporate these unconscious aspects. If not you will live out your days without the benefit of this vital part of your 'greater Self'.

"but there is nothing I can do about it". That may have been the attitude in the past, albeit unconscious. But the dream has pointed to this aspect and needs for you to realize its importance. That is the only way to prevent the 'crashing' of your higher expectations {SAAB Viigen.
Note: What associations do you have with this particular aircraft? It may or may not be relevant.

Let's go back to the beginning of the dream. You are at your parent's house. It this is not focusing on earlier lifetime experiences it may be a comment on the relationship with your parents. It could be both. I sense it is about aspects of your psyche that have been 'put away' for some reason. If it is about underlying causations to your personality then it may be pertaining to the emotional aspects we discussed in your Halo 2 dream. That discussion could very well have stimulated this dream, the unconscious search, and discovery of deeper aspects to why you who you are emotionally. Childhood has a primary role in shaping who we become. The underlying conditions to the emotional self begin there {parent's house}. The discovery may be your acknowledging the truthfulness of being objective in your relationship with your partner. What was once a defensive mechanism may becoming a positive asset. Discovery of the true self, including that spiritual aspect of treating others with respect despite the conflicts you may have, that may be the focus of the dream. If so I can only say, continue your education in the true self. If not the crashing aircraft may be alluding to the relationship with your partner. And the deeper self.

Thew dream could be addressing the conflicts with your spouce and how you are learning to control your emotions. But the underlying focus may be on teh general attitudes you possess{ed} due to your upbringing. Since there is but a bare mention of your parent's house it may be your childhood in general has produced this personality trait. Not a traumatic childhood perhaps but a childhood of learning in general. It may require a lot of delving into the past to discover the underlying causes. But since you are confronting those negative aspects to emotions responses I think that in itself is as good therapy as to the discovery of the causations.

Overall I see this dream as a positive. You are growing not only emotionally but spiritually as well. Treating others with respect, even when in disputes, that is a 'hero deed'.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Hi Rook,

I will go ahead and share the theme I seem to be seeing in this dream.

I do think you dreamed of the Rainbow Serpent, as in the creation myth, especially as your dream goes on to show a river and lakes and swamps, as the earth's water holes (in the myth) are tied in with the Serpent. But it is well to remember that water generally indicates the unconscious.

The security aircraft may reflect your defense mechanisms ... and they are important, for as Jerry alluded to in an earlier post, if one hastily embarks into some aspects of the journey, it can be hazardous, to our sanity. I know from experience, not so much because I hastily tried to journey too fast, too far, but because my process came on very powerfully, albeit spontaneously.

This is actually the same thing I was seeing in your other recent dream where you have the great floods coming in and you are trying to protect your family.
Such awakenings, as with kundalini, can LITERALLY turn one's life upside down, as the unconscious comes pouring out. I had let down all my defenses all at once, early on, and was inundated by the unconscious, my ego was nearly annhilated. I had become both extrememly inflated and extremely deflated. Not a nice or feel good experience. And all I could do was put one foot in front of the other and trust that there was a grace that would guide and carry me through.

You are searching, Rook, and I think your dreams may be givning you some good warnings, to not try to journey too fast. All can and will happen naturally, if you allow it to...and search with "humble" sincerity.

Every one of us has grown with so many taboo ideas around sexuality. We all have been wounded in this regard, for it runs deep in the personal and collective psyche the world over ... and it all starts with the indoctrination and conditioning we receive in childhood.

If we see the car as an aspect of you... vehicle, something that carries you, your energy, thoughts, motives ... yes, I would say that it is good that it crashed ... for I believe that we belong down here, on the earth, in our bodies. So much of spirituality has become a means of separation, actually, for we have been taught to look for God "out there," in the skies, when Source is all around us, right here, right now. Traditional and funamental Christianity has done a lot of this, but other religions, too, that taught we are separate from God. They have carried us away from ourselves. So, it is good to come down out of the skies, so to speak. So many of us have (and do) live our spirituality in our heads, and not in our bodies. This in itself has caused deep wounds, for it caused us to disown these (sexual) bodies of ours. And it does happen to most all of us.

I also thought that the many aircraft flying and circling may be reflecting cataclysmic change... Why else would so many forces appear?

Go gently, slowly and humbly.

Best,
Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Hey, Rook,

This is some loosely related, but I thought I would share it...

I don't remember his exact words, but Jung saw UFO's ("objects flying in the skies") as a projection of the Self ... because we, as I indicated in the earlier post, have projected "God" to "out there."

I thought sharing it might help to add at least some meaning to your sky type dreams (Morning Star, helicopters, flying cars).

I found it affirming when I earlier had a dream of a space/star ship that was circling around me in a body of water, "on the earth," over which I walked/stood. It helped me to know, I was no longer searching "out there."

Kristi

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help on this. And might I add what an adventure in simply making this post! Life is busy, and quite the adventure!

I would say intuitively I had the feeling of being at the youngest in my late teens. When the snake bonded with me it was my body very much as it is now, though I did not see it, was merely aware of it.

This particular doorway is actually quite often a symbol in my dreams, even some of the dreams I had as a child. It was a room we spent a lot of time in all the way through to when I left home. Even now I spend a lot of time in this room of the house, and frequently let the cats in and out of that particular doorway.

I don’t get the feeling that my dream maker was using it as a symbol to set a time though, I think the dream is referring more to my current life experience, and with the symbol of a snake coming into my conscious.

But what is the snake? I think it could be on several levels, but I feel alludes strongly to the spirit. I can relate to what Kristi is saying. I am searching, and I want all the answers now. But the search is a journey, not a destination. Sometimes I forget that.

And I do search ‘out there’ in the symbol of the aircraft. Even still after I have come to feel that the true search is within, I still look without. But I look for answers without, not within. Do you think the search outside should be for guidance towards the answers that lie within? I have been looking for answers without. Is this the wrong alignment? And funny that I think about this now, along with the symbol of the aircraft carrier as a defense mechanism, I have never felt comfortable with any external spiritual path at all. Nothing has really rung true in terms of Religion, and this is based on ‘gut feeling’, intuition. It is sort of a defensive mechanism that when I am walking the wrong path alarm bells start ringing.

But myth has fit me to a T. I have always found an affinity with it. Maybe when I fill out the census form next year I will put ‘Jedi’ in the Religion box.

Seriously though, I thought perhaps the dream could be alluding to social awkwardness. The ‘dog’ could be related to friends. In the past I have felt fear in approaching people new to me, and I have difficulty opening up and connecting with people. I thought it was because people generally weren’t on my ‘wavelength’, and I was a bit different and eccentric, particularly in my office environment. I am quite young compared to most, though that age group has shifted a little recently. But now I think I may be breaking free of childhood perceptions that elders were different from friends, the perception that friends should be my age. I am now striking up friendships with people old enough to be my parents, and coming ‘out of my shell’ a bit more. I suppose I don’t hold as much fear as I used to which is played out in the role the dog and my reaction to it. I would certainly say social awkwardness is one of my ‘complexes’.

The SAAB Viggen was a very specific symbol. Something that may be of significance regarding this aircraft that sets it apart from others is that its ‘horizontal stabilisers’ are towards the front of the aircraft (besides the cockpit) rather than towards the back where the engines are situated like most jet fighters.

I still feel I haven’t gotten a clear message from this dream, but it has been good exploring it.

Cheers,
Rook

Rook,
Not only is the search a journey {as is the destination}, more than anything else it is psychological journey. You spoke of having difficulties approaching new people. There is a psychological reason for that. Dreams address such reasons although there is seldom a clear message {it does so in symbolic form}. Often the dreamer never realizes the underlying causes for psychological distresses. But you are consciously seeking answers {just by giving attention to your dreams} and the more you do so the more your dreams will provide 'clues' to those foundations.

Th defensive mechanism I spoke of {the aircraft carrier in your dream} may be about those underlying causes you spoke of with meeting new people. With continued work with the inner self {your own psychology} you begin to 'stabilize' your condition although you are not yet completely aware of the reason supporting them. That is the therapeutic aspect of dreams at work. Perhaps the stabilizers on the dream aircraft are at the front because you are consciously seeking answers to the imbalances in your life {instead of being hidden in the unconscious which would symbolize the back of the jet}.

As for myth fitting your condition. Myths are the collective psyche. Everyone can identify with certain myths because they are the universal patterns of behavior of a particular culture if not the entire planet. Our individual patterns of behavior are chronicled in the myths. One need only to search for that prime myth that fits to get a better understanding of the reasoning behind the individuals psychological ground. The Jedi is a universal symbol of the warrior within {and current experiences if that is where you are in life}. A masculine trait for sure but the identity is more about the inner condition than it is about the outer self {even though it often addresses both}.

It is ironic you mention the Jedi. Joseph Campbell had a huge influence on George Lucas in the making of the Star War Trilogies. The basic mythic patterns within the stories are the universal patterns of myth. The son seeking the father probably fits a great many men {it did me} and is a universal story found in Native American mythology {as well as other cultures}. Campbell does a masterful job of storytelling about such Native Americam myths both in his 'The Power of Myth' as well as 'Transformations of Myth Through Time' {better known as the 'Mythos' series}.
In the end the father is the son's own 'shadow' suggesting the son can and often will follow in the footsteps of the father {unless there is a conversion of sight from dark to light}. These universal myths strike a cord because they are a part of the human psyche, ingrained within the deepest parts of the mind. Lucas did a masterful job in portraying the universal myths in a way that even the youngest of ages identified with the characters. But of course when you have a teacher like Campbell it can only bring about the best within the student.

Now that you have examined this dream {and undoubtedly will continue to do so} it is important to move on to the next 'big' dream. Patterns will continue to emerge that fit {although the symbols may change} your psychological condition. They will become more recognizable if you do give attention to dreams and take time to understand how dreams function {the study of Jung being the best primer for that}. Dreams are a part of that 'inner search' and as I stated previously that search is first and foremost psychological. That is why it is called the 'inner' search. Many are confused by the term 'inner' because they assume there is something mystical or magical about it. The magic comes about with discoveries/realizations and although it may seem mystical it is merely a biological function of the psyche doing its job/therapy, just as the immune system does with the body.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

stats from 7-14-10 to the present