Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dream of ledge

I'm usually very good at dream interpretation, but this was I felt was very interesting for a number of reasons.

I dreamt that I was climbing along a trail with two other people who said they wanted to show me something. I knew the people, but didn't exactly trust them. They took me to a huge quarry and we had to climb out on a ledge to get to the opening. I was on the ledge, but clinging to the side of the trail. When we looked out and down it appeared that the water in the quarry had been soaked up by the son, much to the dismay of my companions. There was another ledge, without support, that we could climb onto to look out into the quarry, but I was afraid I was going to fall over the side and opted not to leave the safety of where I was. We decided to leave and headed back down the trail. I looked back across at the quarry again and discovered the lack of water was a mirage. That in fact, the quarry was full of water, but the water had the appearance of total clarity because we could see through it to the floor below. The more my eyes focused on the quarry, the more the water came into full view. Finally, my companions said they could see it as well and we walked back to the first ledge to look over the edge at the water, which was almost level with us. Again, I opted not to get too close to second ledge for fear of falling over the side. Something about the water gave me the impression it was misleadingly safe. But, looking through the water to the quarry floor, there appeared to be a large stream at the bottom, but that didn't make sense to me because the whole quarry was full. I wasn't sure how this stream existed and never could quite figure it out. On our trail descent, I noticed a warning sign that was meant to deter people from swimming in the quarry. The sign had a picture of a shark and then read No Swimming beneath it. I thought that maybe my intution had served me well.
The stream I had seen below turned into a raging rapid that flowed in the direction of our path down the trail. Again, there was a feeling of whether I should jump into the rapid, but I was afraid of getting swallowed up whole and getting sucked underneath.

I can't remember the rest of the dream but that one morphed into me being in a city such as New York and housesitting for some friends. It was like I was staying at two places. I had agreed to feed some animals for one of my friend's who was going out of town. But the animals were extremely vicious, ate raw meat and were nothing like 'normal' dogs and cats - although there were two dogs and one cat. They almost were amazon in nature and seemed to be animals a person might find in ancient Roman times used for blood sport. They were kept behind this huge glass partition and I never ended up feeding the animals because I was afraid they were going to tear me to shreds (to say there were vicious is an understatement). I told my friend no and walked her to another shop where she was meeting a friend. The 'friend' in my dream turned out to be a woman I have dreamt about before - almost an 'older' version of myself. We recognized each other and noted how it had been a while since we last talked. Her hair was different and she asked me how I was. I then left them there and proceeded to go to my apartment where I was lving with a few other people. When I got home, one of my roommates was in the shower and we were making plans for going out. The bathroom was interesting in that it had blue-green walls and was not in very good shape. It wasn't dirty, but it wasn't new or shiny. She then left the shower and I got in and can't remember much after that except for a bedroom across the hall that was somewhat dark and had clothes lying around. I don't know if it was mine or hers.

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35, Kentucky

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Dream of ledge

Valerie,
My take on the dream is there is a conflict of sorts about some direction in your life you have chosen or wish/need to take {trail/path}. There may be an unconscious element that influences this direction {past emotional experiences} and how to proceed is slowly coming to focus. The issue may be causing some anxiety, having to hang on to the original intent and direction. To stay where you are may seem to be a safe haven but it is not necessarily the direction {trail/path} you envision for yourself.

The clarity of this direction is not readily available reflecting the conflict associated with this desired direction. This may be due to past influences/experiences, perhaps even a complex of sorts {stream at the bottom of the water filled quarry}. This would be a part of the unconscious element {water}, an unconscious influence that may govern your decisions {again look to past experiences to help determine what that might be}. The shark would be that unconscious element lurking beneath. The decision may be a need to overcome these influences, a conflict of the unconscious reflecting emotions associated with past experiences.

Does this fit with some aspect in your life? What is the conflict? If so I suggest you examine the influences that may be keeping you from achieving this path. Past experiences probably are influencing your decision clouding the direction in which you need to proceed.

The second part also seems to be addressing a conflict in your life. It seems to be addressing two possibilities, each offering possible positions in life that you must/need to chose from. I may involve animal instincts vs intuition {what the mind thinks it must do vs what your soul desires}. But there is the conflict, possible of needed decisions to be made for your future.

This conflict seems to be as much to do with the psyche, possibly having to chose between social requirements and deeper desires. Could there be an element of creativity associated with this conflict?

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Hi Jerry - This year has been one of endings for me and I think I'm now having to make a lot of decisions in regard to the direction I want to take my life into. Your interpretation makes complete sense. When I woke up, I was mad at myself for clinging to the safety of the ledge rather than jump into the quarry to 'see what happens.' The same was true of the rapids because, on some level, I knew I would have been OK even if I got sucked under. And there have been many complex emotional themes for me to deal with this year and I was heading in one direction and somehow (and surprisingly) recently changed gears and moved into a new one. Your interpretation also falls inline with a dream I had last night in which I was standing before two archangels and Jesus asking for their help. Finally, Jesus said to me, "I can't manifest what you want until you figure out what you want to ask me for." It was a very powerful dream, to say the least, and the first of which I had ever had a conversation with Jesus. But I've been working on my direct line to Spirit and am amazed and in awe we had a conversation in my dream.

Last night I also dreamt (the second of its kind) that I was driving on the highway, took a turn too fast, and ended up going over the side. I thought I was going to crash, but instead the car started to float. We floated for quite a while as I was sure the car was going to come crashing down. Instead, it came to a gentle stop at a gas station. The owner tried to sell me a blue car and was telling me what a great "deal" the car was, but I was not leaving my vehicle and told him, "well, my car is paid for so whatever you have isn't going to benefit me."

Like I said, it's the second dream I've had (over a two-month span) where I've been in my car and have taken a turn too quickly only to end up floating or flying instead of crashing down.

Again, thanks for the interpretation. I am definitely at a crossroads in two very big areas (career and relationships).

Valerie

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Valerie,
Thanks for the response. It demonstrates how well Jung understood the dream, his philosophy on dreams being a most reliable source to understanding their language. It is because of Jungian psyche I am able to provide positive 'clues' to the meaning of dreams {16+ years of study and practice}. It is no longer a great mystery how dreams function, their intent, their therapeutic value, and their symbolic and metaphorical language. Jung was a sage utilizing the resources of so many other sages before him. We are fortunate to have his insights, his approach providing ordinary souls like you and I with the ability to decode this 'secret' language of the soul. With discipline and proper guidance, and using a dreams as a resource, we can find a balance in life that is very often only a nights sleep away.

Your dream of last night is a good example of a typical dream depicting conflicts of the waking life. The highway is your direction in life, the road you are traveling and going to fast relates to some 'important' aspect where you are 'going to fast'. The dream provides what is truth even though the conscious mind may not be aware of it {or perhaps in denial}. The thought of crashing but instead you float may suggest a resilience of character. Dreams often address personality traits with the intent to inform the dreamer of vital characteristics that tend to be important deciders in how a life is lived. Juts when you expect to crash you have the courage and ability to renew yourself {gas station}. The vehicle that you already possess is much more desirable tat something that you may be trying sell to yourself. Have you learned from practical experience and are you now benefiting from those experiences? This was a very positive dream.

In the context of your life, your description of your current path and the decisions to be made, I see the dream as pointing to your ability to persevere in whatever comes at you. Even though you may have not made all the right decisions, or experienced times of indecision, the positive thing is you are not afraid to make those decisions and are able to persevere no matter the task before you. This may still be an unconscious realization, this ability to persevere and perhaps why you had the 'prolonged' dream. You have not yet fully realized this positive aspect. The dream knows.

Then there is the Jesus thing. Jung says we all possess a spiritual aspect, something beyond religion. I see this icon as the soul, not the mere man, and it is about what pleases the soul. Joseph Campbell tells us what the soul desires is to be found within the creative aspect. From the creative aspect you are able to give of yourself, from the deepest depths, and for someone it is a great source of comfort. You are giving of yourself through the muses. That makes the creative aspect a spiritual endeavor. When you work on the 'Jesus' spirit you are working on your own spirit.

No one can speak to exactly what is going on in your life by interpreting your dreams but with a proper interpretation we can form a periphery that you can relate to and fit within your life. You begin to understand more about yourself, your true self beyond the ego centered identity that is obligated to social deeds duty. You discover a spiritual identity and very often a creative one as well. That provides meaning to life, offers a viable direction that will provide balance and harmony to life. All in a nights sleep.

Are you by chance investigating a creative aspect, is that a move you wish/need to make to finally get where you want to be in life?

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi Jerry - Thank you again for the interpretation. It was funny, the night I had the dream I was speaking to Jesus, followed a day in which I had focused heavily on my connection to Spirit/God. So, as you can imagine, the dream was awesome for me to have.

I recently started to research and learn more about Jung's beiefs and definitely identify with his beliefs than Freud. If I were to compare the two men to astrological signs, Freud would be the Capricorn (stodgy, regimented and structured) and Jung would be a combination Sag, Aquarius and Pisces (those more free thinking and spiritually aware).

I'm glad the car dream was positive. And I hope that whatever I need clarity about comes to me in the appropriate phases. I deem 2008 as the year of my 'awakening' and have since been making decisions based on that experience. But, there are a lot of past emotional experiences I still need to resolve and overcome in order to step into the future. I'm conflicted about a lot of things at the moment in regard to the direction of my life and my place in the world. Jesus' message was not lost on me .

Hopefully, the answer to some of this lies within my dreams and of course, we all must keep our 'vehicles' going in order to learn and grow. Last night I had some strange dreams, too, but those were a little more clear than the ones I've written about on the forum.

In regard to your creativity questions, I'm a journalist by trade, but have been told I need to look into painting. I'm also considering a career change as writing as a profession no longer appeals to me. It's funny, I can write about business but when it comes to the depth of my own soul, I find that words (or at least the appropriate ones) fail to convey the sincerity and breadth of my emotions. I can easily write clearly for others, but lose something when it's for myself.

This Web site also has been a wonderful discovery for me. I've actually been using it to look up dream symbols for a few years, and have had the Dan Ackroyd book this site recommends for what seems like an eternity (at least 12 years, I would say).

Many thanks again for all of your interpretations!

Valerie

Valerie,
Joseph Campbell often quoted the phrase, "Follow your bliss. ... And if you stay in the center and don't get any money, you still have your bliss". Find that thing in life that you love doing most. That is your bliss. Money is not the object, but when you follow your bliss you will always find enough money, and still have your bliss. If you focus solely on money you may not ever get enough, and you will not experience the bliss in life. That is where you find meaning, in the creative aspect of the human psyche.

Another notable Campbell quote:

"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."

It is often in our later years that we discover our bliss {I was 42}. Mid-life presents us with all types of changes, and emotional challenges. Whereas when we were younger the focus was on the outer life, career, family, looking forward. When we arrive at those mid-life years there is a transition, not only physically but also mentally. It is a natural phase of life. We start to look inward, and for meaning. If a person is fortunate to discover that inner self {opposite the outer life dedicated to material worth and egocentricity} they ultimately discover a creative self, waiting to blossom and grow. And in that creative aspect we find our true meaning, and we do feel alive.

Good luck in your search. If you can discover that bliss, perhaps in painting, go for it. It may be hard at first but ultimately you will discover the bliss is within, and that the meaning in your life is directly related to your bliss. At 35 you are at the beginning of that mid-life stage. Begin now and by the time you reach that half way point {mid-life} you realize what a great investment "following your bliss" has been, and will continue to be throughout your life.

Jerry

Hi Jerry -

Happy holidays and thank you again for the response. I am being asked on many levels to determine what motivates me and what will make me happy. I'm not sure where my bliss lies at the moment, but a great deal comes from rocking my son to sleep at night. I am attracted to helping children, but I'm not sure in what capacity. No child should have to suffes from a lack of love and guidance, but I don't know how that translates to whatever it is I'm supposed to do. I will figure it out though!

I had a dream last night that I was waiting to get my haircut by my hairdresser. I was the only person waiting for a long time, but right before I time a bunch of other women walked in that I had previously suggested my hairdresser to. I was then informed to wash my hair in preparation for my appointment. When I walked into the bathroom (think high school locker room. The showers were taken so I had to wash my hair just by sticking my head under a faucet. There were several other women washing their hair the same way. But before I could condition my hair, my hairdresser came and told me it was my time. I tried to look for my conditioner, but the toiletries in my bag somehow multiplied and I couldn't find it among all of the other stuff. The women in the locker room seemed to multiply as well and before long, it was completely full. I remember when I was shampooing my hair it was full of rich lather, but someone had taken over my faucet and I had to find another one (lower down) to rinse out the shampoo.

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm on the road to something, perhaps?

Have a wonderful New Year. I appreciate your interpretations. I'll also have to research Joseph Campbell.

All the best,
Valerie

stats from 7-14-10 to the present